1. Money

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

1040X: Filing an Amended Tax Return

By February 9, 2005

Follow me on:

What if I made a mistake on my tax return? You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct your filing status, total income, tax deductions, or tax credits. You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors.

What if I made a mistake on my tax return?

It happens to the best of us. You gather all your tax documents, crunch the numbers, and double check everything on the tax return. No sooner have you dropped the return in the mail or pressed the efile button, but a new W2 or 1099 comes in the mail. Ah, now you remember. And now you need to revise your tax return.

Revising your tax return is done by filing an amendment. You use Form 1040X, plus a new Form 1040, and any necessary schedules and forms. Amended tax returns have to be filed on paper, and they can take 8 to 12 weeks for the IRS to process.

You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct your filing status, total income, tax deductions, or tax credits. You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors.

January 25, 2007 at 9:19 pm
(1) John i says:

How far back can you correct your returns, what if you recieve a corrected form from 1999

January 26, 2007 at 11:41 am
(2) William says:

You can amend any tax return. However, you only have three years (from the original filing deadline) or two years (from the date of your last payment) to claim a refund. Tax year 1999 is now closed for refunds, unless you have been making payments; in which case, you have two years to claim a refund due to an overpayment. If you still owe for 1999, an amendment can reduce your liability, meaning the amount you still owe can be reduced. For more information, see my article on Statute of Limitations.

April 27, 2011 at 1:22 am
(3) Victoria says:

Ok, how about this situation? H&R Block needed to file the form when you have additional income, such as a 1099. To save me from paying for an extra form, they put my extra income elsewhere – and it disappeared. I went for years and they never caught the error (and I trusted them).

We found out the problem this year (2011) and I filed amendments for 2010 and 2009 and paid the extra tax due on that income. I made no extra income in 2007 or 2008 so those years were fine.

What about more than three years back (before 2007), since H&R Block says they can’t file further back than that? But that doesn’t make sense since amendments have to be sent in via U.S. mail, so why can’t I send an amendment in for years before 2007?

April 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm
(4) William Perez says:

It is possible to amend tax returns prior to 2007 to report additional income. As you noted, amended returns have to be mailed in. I can see two possible reasons behind your preparer’s statement that they “can’t file” further back than 2007. One possibility is that that particular office does not have software prior to tax year 2007. A second possibility is that the preparer assumes that any tax year over 3 years prior is now closed under the statute of limitations; and that’s true, but that only applies to refunds and audits, you can still amend to add in more income. It’s my strong opinion that tax preparers should fix their own problems, and pick up any penalties that are imposed on the client as a result of their mistakes. I think the H&R Block guarantee provides that protection as well, or at least it did the last time I checked. Hope this helps.

January 31, 2007 at 8:01 am
(5) Erika Cobbs says:

My tax preparer named my son as a girl is that going to effect my taxes?

February 7, 2007 at 12:59 am
(6) Brad says:

I left off a social security number for one of my children listed on the return. Now I have received a letter disallowing her as a dependent and billing me for the additional tax. Do I have to file an amended return? Do you have to fill out the 1040X form although none of the amounts have changed? Thanks.

February 6, 2008 at 8:24 pm
(7) Ken says:

I took a home office deduction from the years 1999 through 2006. It was legitimate expense of my Sole Proprietorship but I would prefer to amend my return and NOT claim the home office. It will probably mean I owe some back taxes. Can I do this and for how far back? I would like to do this for all the years but for 2005 I already amended the return for another reason. Can I file a second amendment? Thanks.

February 18, 2008 at 2:54 pm
(8) ROB says:


September 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(9) barb says:

My husband receives social security disability and PERA disability payments. We neglected to report $10,000.00 in cash income in 2007. Do we do amended returns and then send copies to social security, PERA, state government, and federal government??

February 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm
(10) alex says:

barb disability payments are tax free

September 11, 2009 at 7:49 pm
(11) Ed Hannold says:

In July 2003 we put my parents house in my name. We included tax receipts for 2004 when filing our return but since the bill was going to that address every year I never thought to include it when filing in 2005,06,07,08. How far back can I go to amend this?

November 5, 2009 at 5:24 pm
(12) Sylvia says:

I filed my 2008 taxes through TurboTax and had already efiled them, when I recieved a 1098 for interest paid.I didn’t realize that I had filed a standard deduction and that I didn’t have to report this. I filed a 1040x and now I’m trying to find out how I amend the 1040x form that should have never happened. I hope you can help me wiht my dilema soon.

Thank you,

December 13, 2009 at 9:08 pm
(13) Pat says:

1040X: Filing an Amended Tax Return

March 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm
(14) Erica says:

Does it really take 8-12 weeks, for an amendment return?

March 8, 2011 at 3:15 am
(15) William Perez says:

That’s what the IRS says. The actual time frame for processing the amended return can vary widely. If the amended return is for a fairly recent year (say in the past two to three years), the amended return will be processed pretty quickly (usually 8 to 12 weeks). If it’s for an earlier year or if the amendment is submitted during the IRS’s busiest times, expect the IRS to take 12 to 16 weeks to process it. I’ve seen amended returns take upwards of six months or longer to process, especially if they are more complex.

February 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm
(16) Amanda Grace says:

How long after e-filing my taxes do I have to wait before I can ammend that same tax year?

March 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm
(17) Sherrie says:

You can amend as soon as you get your refund back.

January 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(18) Maureen says:

Amanda Grace:
For e-file customers: You only have to wait until the IRS accepts your return and you’ll receive notice of this in your email from the software company that you used.

January 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(19) Maureen says:

I actually did this one year on accident.
The IRS wound up calling me to correct it over the phone. Since they’ve disallowed it, call your IRS office and ask them what you should do next to correct it.
They’ve been very helpful to me in the past and very courteous.

February 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(20) Brenda Nichols says:

I need help field this out,but the instruction are so hard. but do u have someone that could help me and can i do it on the computer

February 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm
(21) Fonda says:

Not all Disability payments are tax free. It depends on how much your spouse makes and you have to file another form to find out if you have to use any of your disability as income. I know, because I do.

February 21, 2011 at 11:37 am
(22) Stan says:

I received an inquiry letter from the NH DRA regarding the fact that I never filed a NH Interest and Dividends return in 2006, although I reported interest and dividends on my Schedule B that year. I completed the required NH Form DP-10 and determined that I owed taxes plus interest and penalties.

Before submitting this return I discovered that I had actually overstated my dividend income on the 2006 Schedule B by nearly $2,000. That reduced dividend income would nearly eliminate my NH tax liability.

I am well beyond the three year limit to file an amendment for a refund on my FIT for 2006. Do I still need to file an amendment to my FIT return before I can claim to NH that I do not owe taxes on the erroneously reported dividend?

April 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(23) Andrea says:

I had a federal tax lien filed against me based on back taxes that the IRS prepared the returns for in 2007. They of course were higher and showed I owed more than I should. I recently paid all the taxes this year and just got the tax lien withdrawn. Can I submit an amendment now for the taxes they prepared for me back in 2007 and have them apply the over payments to the amount I paid and get a refund?

July 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm
(24) Nikko says:

I just noticed a filing status error on my income tax returns for 2007 & 2008 and want to amend those returns. My initial filing status was filed as Head of Household rather than Married filing jointly. In the initial filing, I had to pay back money for both years. The federal amount owed was roughly $3900 and $2500, respectively for the two years. From what I am being told, I would have been due a refund of $1200 & $1800 respectively for those two years.

I know that the statue of limitations has already passed for 2007 and so I would not receive a refund on that year. My question is how will the IRS process these two returns? Would the $3900 & $2500 be erased and show that I, in fact, do not owe any taxes for those two years (2008 & 2008)? I am currently being told that I have a balance of $4200 which includes penalties and interest.

I will also note that during 2009, my wages were garnished for approximately $2500 to go towards the repayment of taxes owed. If the taxes from 2007 & 2008 will be erased, will the IRS also refund me the money that was garnished from my paycheck during 2009?

December 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(25) Melissa says:

When i file an amended return to only add a deduction I failed to claim, do I still need to send the W2′s?

December 30, 2011 at 5:47 pm
(26) William Perez says:

Melissa, send documents that are related to the item(s) being changed on your amended return.

January 22, 2012 at 8:56 am
(27) Patricia says:

I filed my 2007 taxes with Jackson-Hewitt-I was not aware of the second-look until I saw this advertised by H&R Block,and have been told that my refund should have been larger..Jackson-Hewitt,whom I paid over $200-now refuses to even look over this return,can I still obtain a refund of the taxes owed to me,and how do I go about this?

January 24, 2012 at 12:27 am
(28) William Perez says:

You can revise your previously tax return and obtain a refund within three years of the original filing deadline. Your tax preparer is allowed to charge a fee for preparing this revision, called an amended return. If the revision is due to a mistake the original preparer made, you can request that the original preparer revise your tax return for free or refund your original fee.

February 3, 2012 at 10:30 am
(29) Christine says:

Can I amend my 2008 taxes, turns out should of been claiming a per diem for the year which would make a dramatic difference in my refund.

February 19, 2012 at 10:22 am
(30) Mark says:

My wife and I recently paid off a tax penalty for failure to list contributions we made to our HSA in 2009. Do we need to fill out a 1040X if we agreed to the penalty and paid it in full?

February 29, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(31) Laurie M says:

I e-filed my son’s return who can be claimed by me. By accident the button you click that says that was not selected and it filed him single. As I went to file mine it was rejected due to this mistake. I have mailed his amended return, what should I do about mine? It was supposed to be e-filed but will come back rejected I guess until his is corrected.

February 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(32) William Perez says:

Laurie M., you’ll need to mail in your tax return for manual processing.

March 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm
(33) AJ says:

Last year we contributed $2500 to my wife’s traditional IRA with after-tax dollars. When I filed my 2011 return, I entered them as deductible contributions. Do I need to amend this? If so, can I do it with my next year’s return?

March 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm
(34) Jennie says:

I have a client who is trying to file for disability but keeps getting denied because of a tax error. She and her husband were both missionaries for ten years and their income came in the form of charitable support from churches. Even though they were both working, they didn’t split up their income and file seperately, so the records look like she didn’t work at all during that time. Two years ago she became disabled and unable to work and her husband took up a regular job. How far back can they amend their tax returns to show that she was working so that she can get disability?

March 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm
(35) William Perez says:

I assume this relates to Social Security. Generally you need 40 Social Security credits (of which 20 credits were earned in the last 10 years) to qualify for the disability benefits from Social Security. Social Security credits are earned based on wages and self-employed income on which Social Security taxes have been paid. So first check if your client has wage or self-employment income that would qualify her. The Social Security earnings record can only be corrected for the previous three years.

March 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(36) Manju Vani says:

My tax return for 2011 has been accepted. But I entered my foreign account balance in foreign currency, where as I should have entered it in dollars. Do I have to amend my tax return?

March 13, 2012 at 2:28 am
(37) William Perez says:

Amending your tax return would be preferrable, Manju Vani. That would make your foreign account disclosure more accurate, and the IRS shouldn’t penalize you for correcting this.

March 20, 2012 at 9:15 am
(38) Bill says:

Back in 2001 I lived abroad (I still live abroad) and had capital gains. I had established residency in the foreign country but did not take the foreign residency deduction when I filed my taxes. Is it too late to file an amendment for that return?

March 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm
(39) William Perez says:

Bill, do you currently have an outstanding balance for the year 2001 to the IRS? If you do still owe for 2001, then it’s possible to revise that 2001 tax return in an effort to reduce the tax liability, which would reduce the amount you owe. If you don’t owe the IRS for 2001, then filing an amended return to reduce your tax liability will produce no effect as the IRS will refund taxes only within a 3-year time period starting from the original filing deadline.

March 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm
(40) Veronica says:

I know its 2012, but I was going thur all my old taxes and learned that in 2004 & 2005 my daughter was not claimed on her daddy taxes but I took care of her for both years, can I still amend these taxes? Also in tax years 2008 & 2010 I didnt add the 1099-G, is this going to be a problem?

March 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(41) William Perez says:

Tax returns for the years 2004 and 2005 are too late to revise to seek additional refunds, as refunds have a 3-year time limit. The year 2008 is about to close under the 3-year time limit for audits. The IRS would have contacted you by now regarding 2008 if you owed additional tax from the state refund. For the 2010 issue, did you claim the standard deduction in 2009? If so, your state refund isn’t taxable in 2010. If you itemized, some or all of your state refund may be taxable.

March 26, 2012 at 10:35 am
(42) terry says:

Thats also my question.I am going on saturday the 30th,,can i go back for years 2008,2009,2010..I am only concerned about the 2008 one..can i amend the 2008? thanks

May 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm
(43) Diana says:

I got married in sept 2006 therefore from 2006 to 2009 I did a joint return. However I was told by my immigration lawyer that I should not have done that because my husband leaves abroad, does not have any income in this country and therefore I should have filed single for 06 and 07 and head of household for 08 and 09 because I had a baby in 08. I thought, that because I am petitioning my husband to obtain a green card, I HAD to file a joint return. Anyway, my question is can I still go back to those years to ammend filing status? Because my husband is not a legal alien I was denied some credits and therefore my refunds shoud have been greater. Thanks for your advice

May 28, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(44) William Perez says:

Diana, you can file jointly only if your husband agrees to be taxed as if he were a US resident (that is, to be taxed in the US on his worldwide income). If that’s not the case, then your next option is to use the married-filing-separately status. You may be eligible for head of household status if your husband did not stay in your house at any time in the last six months of the year. The denied tax credits relates, most likely, to the fact that nonresident aliens are not eligible for many tax credits.

June 25, 2012 at 10:24 am
(45) Ed says:

I received a W-2 in June 2012 for the 2009 tax year. The W-2, as I understand it, is pretaining to some company stock I sold to Dell, Inc. when Dell acquired Perot Systems. The W-2 is for the discounted portion of the price of the stock when I bought it through the Perot Systems employee plan. After filling out the 1040X to amend my 2009 taxes I owe no taxes so my question is do I still need to file the 1040X amendment since I owe nothing and since the W-2 was delivered after more than 3 years will I be responsible for any penalties and/or interest if I happen to owe more taxes?

September 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm
(46) Randy says:

In 2009 I sold some stock for a loss of $1,931.19. I did not sell any stock that year for a gain and, thus, I did not fill out a Schedule D. Sould I have filled out a Schedule D and carried over the $1,931.19 loss to my 2010 return? In 2010 I didn’t sell any stock at all (no captial gain), but in 2011 I had $839 in capital gains from the sale of stock. I’m estimating in 2012 I will have $2,000 in capital gains from the sale of stock. My question is can I ammend my 2009 return to include the loss, then amend my 2010 and 2011 returns to carry over the loss? Thanks for your advice.

October 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(47) Lydia says:

I found out that my taxes for 2011 say that I was married to my son’s father. I have never been married but we just filed together that year for the first time. Can I amend to change the marital status back to single? or just remove him from my taxes completely? Please let me know.

December 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(48) ANA says:

Question I was using my ITIN number to file my taxes but i have a social security now just got it this year, can I amend my last tree years of taxes with the new number so i can get the credits i was missing?

January 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(49) H822 says:

I have made direct rollovers to my rollover IRA through the years as I’ve changed jobs. I have never included anything from the 1099-R on my taxes as I did not receive any of the money. It went directly through trustee to trustee transfers in all of these cases. I just read that I still need to report these $0 transactions on my 1040. Should I go back and amend the past years tax filings? It will not change anything on what I pay or owe or even the math of my return.

February 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm
(50) Felicia says:

I have a child thats disable and I never checked the box that applies to the question which I just learn that I have been missing credits so how far can I go back and amend my return

February 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(51) Nancy says:

I just learned that my husband and I were granted the right to claim his minor daughter ever year on our tax return as a dependant. From 2001- today. We never claimed her because the childs mother said she was allowed to, but upon some research and getting a copy of the actual divorce decree we have been and are able to claim her. How do I go about fixing this and claiming her for all the past years?

February 7, 2013 at 3:16 am
(52) mari says:

What if my 2010 and 2011 depended relationship is wrong do i amened it.

February 8, 2013 at 12:02 am
(53) help says:

I just amended my tax return on Turbox because I misspelled my sons names on the dependents, after finishing, the federal return says $0. Can someone tell why, and let me know if I’m screwed and if I’ll be getting my original return. I didn’t wait to get my refund, I noticed the error, called IRS was on hold 35 minutes and then disconnected! So, I tried correcting it myself and then this happened!
Someone Help Me!

February 10, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(54) Amanda says:

I e-filed our taxes on feb 1. A week later my husbands work reissued their w2′s due to a mistake. The mistake was less than $2 in wages. Do we need to complete a 1040x to correct this mistake?

February 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm
(55) pamela williams says:

hello i am writing because i have a question, i filed my taxes at jackson hewitt, and they messed my return up i have been receiving the same amount for the past years and when i come here to waco they screwed my amounts up . i need help can u help me please or tell me what i need to do.

February 24, 2013 at 9:59 am
(56) johnny simms says:

i take care of my nephew and claimed him last year , but i filed him as my son do need to file an amendment on the status form son to nephew ?

March 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm
(57) John says:

My wife & I are self employed. Last year we went to US Tax Express to file an annual income tax & for the first time we did the home office deduction & the “accountant” at the US Tax Express input the square footage of the house & the square footage of the “office space” reversed so that it seemed like I was deducting 100% of the home square footage as an office space. I just caught that a couple of days ago as I was trying to prepare for this tax season. Do I need to do an amended return for 2011 tax or should I wait til I get notified? I’m so confused as to what I should do. If I do an amended return wouldn’t that open up a whole can of warms because it gives a reason for the personnel from IRS to take a closer look at everything else? If I do nothing & let them catch it I’m thinking they’ll just send me a bill. What do you think?

March 27, 2013 at 5:26 pm
(58) LINDA says:

I am awaiting an amended tax refund but cannot leave a message as i
get cut off when leaving my birth date. I called several times, I get cut off. I also have looked online and cannot find the website for florida amended tax refunds for federal taxes.

March 27, 2013 at 5:34 pm
(59) William Perez says:

You can utilize a new Web application recently released on the IRS Web site for tracking the status of an amended return. It’s called Where’s My Amended Return? on IRS.gov.

April 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm
(60) melissa says:

i need to amend to have a dependent removed, they should have filed themselves, when i file my amened do i have to wait and get something from the irs stating they have been removed before they can file

April 2, 2013 at 2:10 am
(61) William Perez says:

Melissa, good question. The other person will need to file his or her tax return by mail. The person will not need to wait for any letter from the IRS before filing.

April 11, 2013 at 11:01 am
(62) robert says:

I file my tax return. Now I remember I did not claim any charitable
contributions, which I have made during the year for a total of $400

What can I do, I still have to pay Taxes, but this $400, would help, to
reduce the amount I have to pay, no?
Can I take advantage of this, next year, or should I do it now?

thanks for suggestions for those who know the subject

April 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm
(63) William Perez says:

Robert, thanks for asking your question. You could amend your return to claim the charitable donations. This would reduce the amount of tax that you owe and any penalties and interest.

April 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm
(64) joann says:

How far back can amend taxes for unclaimed paid child support?

April 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm
(65) William Perez says:

Child support is not tax deductible. Tax returns can be amended at any time for any reason. However, to receive an additional refund from the IRS, an amended return would need to be filed within 3 years of the original due date of the return.

May 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(66) mill says:

Can I file an amendment for the rest of my tax withheld? For instance:
Tax withheld (w2) 12,347.
Overpaid (my refund) 4,536.
7,811. Total tax (Can I amend a refund for the remaining amount?)
Or Is that amount for paying my taxes?

May 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(67) William Perez says:

Mill, a good question. Basically the 7,811 is your federal income tax, so that amount is for paying your taxes, as you said. You can amend if that tax figure is wrong. For example if there are additional deductions or additional income that was left off the original return.

May 24, 2013 at 11:35 am
(68) Cris Martin says:

In 2007 A friend and her son lived with me all year. She did not work and i provided support for them. She allowed me to claim her son on my tax return . Now i do not feel right about that. Can i amend this return to the IRS and remove that dependent? I understand ill owe money but ill feel better about it.

June 4, 2013 at 10:30 am
(69) Jeff says:

Maybe someone can help me with this. My wife moved out and filed for divorce in 2007. She subsequently filed her individual tax return and claimed both of our sons as dependents. Our divorce was finalized in 2008 and the decree states that the 2007 taxes must be filed to get the best return for the family. She withheld her tax return information until 2011. She got a return of $225.00 and I received a tax bill for $12,000. I sent up a payment plan with the IRS so they would not garnish my wages and a currently paying on it. Can I still file an amended return for 2007 and claim injured spouse? Thanks for any help.

October 14, 2013 at 7:14 pm
(70) Lorena Martinez says:

Me and my husband have been filing together since 2007 but have failed to qualify for credits because he doesnt have a valid ssn. Once he receives his residency, how far back can we resubmit our taxes?

January 8, 2014 at 9:51 pm
(71) Ron says:

I entered my 3 children’s 1099-DIV income on my tax return in 2007 and I was unaware of the maximum $10,000 income threshold requirement to file their own individual taxes on their own 1040′s. I recently received a notice from the IRS stating that my children did not file taxes for 2007 and they are requesting all 3 children to file tax returns for that year.

Since I paid the taxes already on my return, isn’t it double taxation since I can’t amend my return with a refund because it is over 3 years? Will the IRS take this into account or will they collect the taxes twice?

After computing the tax for my children, I’m going to have to pay $1000 in taxes for each child. If I was able to amend my return, I would have received around a $3000 refund. Is there an exception for situations like this?

January 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm
(72) William Perez says:

Ron, this is a very odd situation. I understand what you are saying. I’m not sure what the solution is to this problem, however. I would probably begin by contacting someone at the IRS — is there a contact person or contact telephone number on the notice the IRS mailed to you? I would explain the situation (just as you did here), and ask the IRS agent for suggestions on what to do. One thing I would ask the IRS agent is if they can consider the Form 8814 you filed with your tax return to be sufficient for eliminating the requirement that the kids file their own tax return.

Apart from that, you are correct that 2007 is too late to receive a refund by amending your tax return. So if the IRS does require the kids to file their own returns and pay the tax, that would result in double taxation.

Let me know how it turns out. I’ll be rooting for you.

February 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm
(73) allan says:

I owed money to the irs and when me and my wife filed at h&r block our 2012 taxes they took the money out of our joint tax refund. I told h&r block about the debt and they did nothing. If I file an amended return with an injured spouse claim will I get money back?

February 8, 2014 at 5:40 am
(74) Laura says:

Can i still amend 2011 taxes and get my refund

February 11, 2014 at 11:43 am
(75) shone says:

I am married since 2010 but my wife was in other country as she did not have US visa. So also she didn’t have SSN. So i have filed my 2012 tax return as single but now she is here and she do have SSN now.

Now can i file 2012 amended tax return as Married filling jointly Status? So that i can show her? Or can i just file as she was one of my dependent in 2012?

Please let me know because it makes very big difference for me.

February 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm
(76) glenn says:

I forgot to add my social security and medicare to my tax return. how will it affect the amount I receive?

March 3, 2014 at 3:40 pm
(77) sarah says:

I filed my 2013 1040 return and forgot to include that I have signature authority for accounts that are owned by my employer. If I had answered the question right, Schedule B would be generated and my form 1040 wouldn’t change because I am not reporting any additional income. Does anybody know if I need to file 1040X for this, and how do I submit Schedule B to IRS after my tax has been already filed? If I complete FinCEN form 114, would that be sufficent?

March 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm
(78) William Perez says:

Sarah: file 1040X and include a Schedule B to check the box about foreign accounts. Also, if the maximum value of the account was over $50k at any time during the year, you may also need to file Form 8938 with your amended tax return. And file the FinCEN Form 114 as well.

March 5, 2014 at 7:08 pm
(79) Lisa H. says:

My daughter filed a 1040EZ form on line and failed to indicate that her parent carries her as a dependent. When I attempted to file my taxes it was not accepted indicating that my dependent’s social security number had already been used. She has received her refund and we have amended her taxes to omit the exemption. Do I have to wait until her taxes have been amended before I can file and receive credit for taking care of her?

March 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm
(80) William Perez says:

Lisa H., you will need to mail in your tax return to the IRS for manual processing. You won’t be able to e-file that return due to how the IRS has their computer systems configured.

March 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm
(81) Kaci says:

Can I send in my amended return for 2012 and still e-file my 2013 return or do I need to wait for my amended return to go through first before proceeding with my 2013 return?

March 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm
(82) William Perez says:

Kaci, either way will be fine.

March 16, 2014 at 11:59 am
(83) RMF says:

I am 25 and an athletic trainer with 2 or 3 private clients and in 2012 decided it was time to hire an accountant to help with the self-employment considerations. I paid a $2500 retainer the Preparer asked for usernames and passwords for my bank accounts – which I provided, along with all relevant income and expense documents. In March he stopped returning my calls and days before the filing deadline he was ‘no longer employed’ there. The firm completed the filing and I was told I owed the IRS $15,000 and CA $3,000! I was in shock. I let the filing go through and paid CA in full and $5000 to the IRS followed by a payment plan until I could straighten it out. He declared $88,000! In reality, I made less that $30,000. Corrected returns leave me owing less that $1000 to the IRS and nothing to CA. I don’t have any idea how anyone arrived at 88K. I obviously do not want to involve the firm in my corrections. I have prepared an amended return but I am not sure what to include in my 1040X explanation and I am wondering how the refunds will work – does the IRS simply see the difference and refund the difference, and do the auto-payments just stop?

March 18, 2014 at 10:19 am
(84) Theresa says:

The irs says I owe money for 2011 ..so I sent them a letter stating that I didnt owe them and I got a letter back saying they would let me know within 60 days…will that effect my 2013 refund

March 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm
(85) Mildred says:

I bought a house in Dec. 2006, when I filed my taxes, the tax preparer said that closing cost and transfer tax were not deductible. I spoke with a friend today and she said she bought a house and ahe included them in her tax and
got refunds, can I still amend my 2006 after all these years? We were so damn to listen to this tax preparer. Can we still make an appeal with IRS on this? Thanks

April 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm
(86) Sherry says:

I never received my federal income tax, so how do i find out where it went or who might have received instead of me?

April 8, 2014 at 12:57 am
(87) William Perez says:

Sherry, you’ll need to call the IRS. They have a special hotline for refund inquiries: 1-800-829-4477. The IRS agent can look up the status of the refund and let you know if it was sent to you and if the check was cashed. They can also let you know what to do if something’s gone wrong. When calling the IRS, it’s good practice to make a note of the agent’s name, badge #, and the time and date of your call.

April 8, 2014 at 11:03 am
(88) stephanie says:

when I efiled my 2012 in come tax .For the first 6 months of work of 2012, I did not include my 1099 from unemployment for the months of april 2012-dec2012.Can I amend? and will I owe?.Idid not think I would get much back I was obviously wrong.And if I do how do I fill it out?

April 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm
(89) Carlos says:

After I e-file my tax return I have noted that in Form 8938 I erroneously considered on Part II Line 2 not just the maximum value of all assets (reported on Part VI) but the maximum value of all assets (reported on Part VI) + the maximum value of all deposit accounts (reported on Part V). In this case is it recommended to file an amended return 1040x to correct this error?

April 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm
(90) Lois says:

I don’t know how, but I failed to check the standard deduction boxes on my 1040 form! My spouse and I were both born before 1/2/1949 so we get a larger deduction. I entered the correct deduction( $14,600) on line 40. But since i did not check the boxes, must i file an Amended return?

Thanks for your attention, Mr. Perez.

April 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm
(91) Lewis Hitchner says:

I entered $3,800 for my personal exemption (the 2012 tax year amount) instead of $3,900. Is that considered a “math error” that the IRS will correct, or should I file an amended return?

April 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm
(92) Gigi says:

We are trying to amend our 2012 tax return that was created with HR Block Tax Cut.
We had mark Roth by mistake for an IRA contribution that should have been traditional.
We have created a 1040X form for sending in but are not sure about the California State return.
Does the same 1040X form get mailed to both the Federal and State?
We are also not exactly sure what addresses to mail the form to.

April 21, 2014 at 11:53 pm
(93) William Perez says:

Gigi, an excellent question you raised. For California, you’ll send in Form 540X along with a corrected Form 540, and include a copy of the Form 1040X and corrected Form 1040. Mailing addresses for sending amended returns to the IRS are located at http://www.irs.gov/uac/Where-to-File-Addresses-for-Taxpayers-and-Tax-Professionals-Filing-Form-1040X. Mailing addresses for sending amended returns to California’s Franchise Tax Board are listed at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/add.shtml.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.