1. Money
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

Filing Returns Without a Tax ID Number

By April 15, 2006

Follow me on:

Today's tax question comes from J.D. in California. He asks:

"My parents came to the states two years ago, they have been working since 2004 but they did not make taxes last year. I am going to send both years of income tax (2004 and 2005) but should I send them toghether in the same envelope? They need an itin so a w7 form is also neccesary, with which year should it go? Thank you for your time. J.D."

You should mail the returns in separate envelopes. Mailing returns in the same envelope is often considered "bad luck." Busy data entry processors at the IRS service centers will sometimes think everything in the same envelope belongs to the same year. So, please mail the returns separately. If you want to mail everything in one envelope, you can. But put each return in a separate envelope, and then put each envelope into one big envelope.

Also, enclose a copy of the W-7 with each return being filed. In the box where you would normally place the Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number, write in the words "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED."

Throughout the tax season I will be answering one tax question per day. Do you have a question? Visit the Ask a Tax Question page. Disagree with my answers? Post your comments in the Tax Forum.

February 23, 2010 at 1:34 am
(1) Yahoouj says:

Really good work about this website was done. Keep trying more – thanks!

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.