1. Money

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

Mail Your Tax Return to the Right Address - Last Minute Tax Tip #5

By April 17, 2006

Follow me on:

If you are mailing your extension (Form 4868) or your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ), make sure you mail the return to the right address. You can find the correct mailing address using the Where to File map of the United States from the IRS web site.

Additional tips for finishing up your tax return include: assembling your tax return in the proper order, making sure your W2 and 1099 forms showing tax withholding are attached, and remembering to sign the return. Here's a list of five common tax preparation mistakes.

April 11, 2007 at 2:23 pm
(1) Victoria says:

That you so much for this information. This was truly safe saving! This is my first time filing.

February 19, 2009 at 11:22 am
(2) Meeghan says:

The IRS website is very helpful, but what about state filing? State tax forms must also be mailed, but they go to a different address. How do we find the correct State filing address to send our returns for State?

February 21, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(3) taxes says:

Find your state’s tax agency on the Web, and then look for a link on where to mail the returns. Sometimes it’s found in the Contact Us section of their site. Also the mailing address is usually printed on most state tax forms, usually towards the end of the form.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.