1. Money
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

How to Correct Mistakes on a Tax Return

By April 22, 2007

Follow me on:

Did you forget to take all the deductions you could have, or did you make some mistakes in preparing your tax return? You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct your filing status, total income, tax deductions, or tax credits. You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors, as the IRS computers will fix math errors automatically. If you forgot to take any deductions or credits, you have three years from the original filing deadline to request an additional tax refund.
April 23, 2007 at 5:38 pm
(1) cc says:

Do I need to file an amended tax return if the amount I forgot to report was only $800? Thanks

April 23, 2007 at 9:35 pm
(2) taxes says:

Of course, you always need to report the correct amount of income. You can also report any deductions you forgot or recalculate your tax credits based on the new income figures.

April 24, 2007 at 1:59 pm
(3) Khaleef says:

Is it possible to file an amended return along with a substitue W2 form? My father had $150 in income from a job that didn’t send him a W2 form; we cannot contact the employer (he was an employee, not a contractor) or find out the EIN for state and federal either.

We need to report that income but since we don’t have those numbers, we need to file with a substitue W2 form.

Is this possible with an amendment?

April 24, 2007 at 2:31 pm
(4) William says:

Absolutely. You’ll need Form 4852 to report the substitute W-2 figures, and you’ll need some sort of backup documentation such as paystubs to show the IRS how much your father was paid and what taxes (if any) were withheld.

April 24, 2007 at 7:46 pm
(5) JEAN says:


October 13, 2007 at 9:08 pm
(6) wei says:

Can the amendments be filed any time of the year, or have the same deadline (Apr 15th) as a regular tax return?

November 13, 2007 at 3:45 pm
(7) taxes says:

Amendments can be filed at any time of the year. The only deadline that is relevant: you have three years from the original filing deadline to claim a refund. So if you are amending to claim an additional refund, please file the amendment before the three year statute of limitations expires.

April 18, 2011 at 2:13 am
(8) Walt says:

IRS disallowed a credit for tax withheld from interest paid ($92) on 2007 return. They were wrong. The payor witheld the money for estimated tax due on the interest paid. I reported the interest earned, but IRS disallowed the credit for the tax withheld. Due to serious, long term illness I never followed up on it and had forgotten about it until I found the letter disallowing the credit when checked my records prior to filing 2010 return. IRS made the error and reduced my original refund. How do I collect my money.

February 29, 2008 at 5:46 pm
(9) Rich says:

I just e-filed my 2007 tax return this past week. The IRS has already accepted it. But I just realized now that I forgot to include income, about $2000 in wages from an internship. Do I file the amended return immediately, or wait until I get the original tax refund first?


February 29, 2008 at 5:54 pm
(10) William Perez says:

Yes, go ahead and file your amended return. You’ll need to wait about 8 to 12 weeks for the IRS to process your amendment, and in the meantime you’ll receive your refund check. On your amendment, you might have to some some additional tax, so you’ll want to set aside some of your refund money to cover the amount you’ll need to pay back.

March 5, 2008 at 5:14 pm
(11) Jamie says:

I have a few problems. I have already filed for and received my 2007 tax return. Then I recieved a W-2 from a previous job. I had left the job in Dec. 06, but received he final check in Jan.07 (probably the reason for not expecting anothe W-2). What do I do? Also, I recieved a notice from my current employer stating that because I am an HSA account holder I must file frm 8889. Also what is the difference between EIC and CTC? And can you get both? Sorry, I know it’s alot. Help!!!

March 5, 2008 at 5:16 pm
(12) Khan says:

I have already e-filed my 2007 taxes and have also recieved the refund. Later realized that I had forgotten to include an amount of $180 as interest income.
Do I need to file form 1040X or can I wait till next year to include this when doing my taxes for 2008?

March 15, 2008 at 12:30 am
(13) Lourdes says:

I got my taxes all done and signed them and submitted them this morning. Just now while reviewing the paperwork I sent. I realized that I forgot to attach the miscellaneous itemized deductions statement (2 pages reporting a total of about 5000 in expenses).
And then I noticed that instead I sent my change of address attached to my return.
I am about to send a letter with the 2 pages I forgot to attach. I do not have to change anything in my return… just need to attach those 2 pages I forgot.
Any ideas??? Help!!!!


March 15, 2008 at 7:28 pm
(14) taxes says:

Lourdes, I think you’ll be fine. If the IRS has any questions or if they need extra pages, they will let you know. If the return cannot be processed for some reason (such as missing forms), they will sent the return back to you with an explanation of what they need. Otherwise, just keep those attachments in your tax files for at least three years. As for the change of address form, I am pretty sure the IRS will figure out what to do with it. Take care, William

March 17, 2008 at 7:21 pm
(15) girish says:

Is the time limit two years even if I owe additional taxes as a result of the amendment? Also, do I send the amount owed along with the amended forms, or do I wait for the IRS and FTB to send me a notice for the amount due?

March 17, 2008 at 7:27 pm
(16) William Perez says:

girish: you can file an amendment at any time if you owe additional taxes. The time limit is three years from the original filing deadline if you want a refund. I do recommend sending in a check with the return for the payment of the additional tax. The IRS will calculate penalties and interest on underpayment and send you a notice with the additional amount you have to pay. The penalties should be calculated only through the day the return is postmarked, so you’ll save a few bucks on penalties and interest if you send a check with the return.

March 17, 2008 at 11:09 pm
(17) Dilip says:

This year I realized that my Capital Gains & Losses were incorrectly reported for 2006 tax return. I plan to file an amended return to report the losses. I have two questions:

1) Do I have to use Form 1040 and 1040x from the year 2006 or I can use the forms given under 2007?

2) Can I use a software, e.g TaxCut 2006 that I used to prepare the original one, to prepare the new 1040 or I have to strictly have to use paper form of the new 1040?

Could you please answer my questions?


March 18, 2008 at 9:34 pm
(18) William Perez says:

Dilip, yes you’ll have to use the long form 1040 even if you used a shorter form initially. And you can use TaxCut 2006. In that program there should be a menu option to prepare an amended return. This will pull in your data from the original return and walk you through the process of filing an amendment. In fact, using the same software to do this will make the process a lot smoother.

March 20, 2008 at 4:57 pm
(19) Dave says:

I just e-filed and got my response that it was accepted. Next day I got a form from a trust, (schedule K-1) showing interest of 800.00. Do I amend right now or on next year’s return. I’m am receiving a refund.
Thank you.

March 21, 2008 at 12:15 am
(20) William Perez says:

Dave, yes go ahead and prepare your amendment to figure the additional tax on this interest income. And then mail in the amendment along with your payment by the April 15th deadline.

March 22, 2008 at 2:12 pm
(21) Matt says:

I filed my tax return via mail only to realize that I hadn’t actually attached any of the W2′s to the federal or state returns. Should I file again, file an amended return or should I wait for the IRS to contact my requesting the W2′s?

– Matt

March 22, 2008 at 2:26 pm
(22) Alisa says:

I prepared and filed my son’s first ever tax return for 2007 and forgot the money he earned doing lawn mowing jobs. Should I file an amended return or will this be a red flag and cause the IRS to audit him and, therefore, cause my son a lot of grief? Also, this amount would put him above the $3,000 earned income and, therefore, he would become eligible for the tax stimulus package refund. Is this also going to put up a red flag with the IRS if I file an amended return to include that income?

March 24, 2008 at 12:02 pm
(23) Moris Behar says:

I completed my taxes and sent them in at the end of February. This is the first year that I have had an HSA and wasn’t sure about the procedures. I did fill out the form 8889 and since there was a zero balance at the end I figured I did not need to worry about attaching it. Since then, I re read the procedures sent to me by my broker and found out that I indeed needed to file the attachment as well. Do I need to do an amended 1040 just to attach the 8889 form, or should I forget about it and file it only if they come up with problems.



March 25, 2008 at 7:54 pm
(24) William says:

Moris: I would file the 1040X (amended tax return) and attach the Form 8889. That way the IRS will have the form on file.

March 25, 2008 at 7:56 pm
(25) William says:

Alisa, if your son is your dependent, then he is not getting the stimulus payment. The money he earns from mowing lawns is considered self-employment income, and he’ll have to pay some self-employment tax on this amount. It would be better to amend this before April 15th to avoid any late payment penalties.

March 26, 2008 at 8:51 pm
(26) machbeka says:

I mailed my federal tax return today and forgot to include the Schedule A-Itemized Deductions form. What should I do? Thanks so much.

March 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm
(27) William says:

Machbeka: the IRS will probably send the return back to you as unprocessable. Or they might just ask you to send along the Schedule A. Either way, wait for a letter from the IRS, and then follow the instructions they provide. That way they will be able to match up your Schedule A with the rest of your return.

March 27, 2008 at 1:29 am
(28) machbeka says:

Thanks so much for your response…just one last question…by forgetting to put the schedule A in my return, will that make me more apt to be audited? Thanks so much for helping me with this.

March 28, 2008 at 3:52 pm
(29) Cynthia says:

I filed taxes and then received an amended form which increases my taxable income by $3. This does not increase the tax owed (less than $0.5) Should I file an 1040X?

March 28, 2008 at 5:10 pm
(30) Libby says:

My husband and I are struggling with the IRS over tax issues from 1999 & 2000. I was newly disabled, and received money from my employer as wages while waiting for my Social Security Disability benefits. No taxes were withheld, and since we did not receive a W-2, we did not report it on our taxes. Once SSD payments started in 2001, I had to return about 57% of those “wages.” I have the paperwork showing that we returned the money. Unfortunately we did not figure out why we owed this money until a week ago. Is it too late to file amended returns for 1999 and 2000, even though we are making installment payments?

March 30, 2008 at 12:29 pm
(31) Steve Auer says:

We have filed Form 8829 Expenses for Business Use of Your Home for several years. For tax year 2006, my wife’s business activity declined considerably so that she showed a small loss even without the Form 8829 deduction. Also, she was considering easing out of the business in 2007 or 2008. We did not file Form 8829 for 2006.
In 2007, my wife’s business actually grew and looks like it will continue to grow. Can I amend my 2006 return to include Form 8829 and carry the loss forward to 2007? If so, and I mail my amended 2006 return this week, and at the same time file my 2007 return electronically, will the IRS’s computers spit out my 2007 return because the 2006 Form 8829 deduction is not yet in their computer?
(In that case, should I file for a 2007 extension and let the 2006 amended data catch up in their system?) Appreciate your help!!

March 31, 2008 at 10:50 am
(32) MeMe says:

I filed my 2008 taxes but didnt realize until after the fact that one of my accounts got interest of $13 and I didnt report it. I found out you are suppose to report any interest over $10. What should I do? I don’t want to get a letter from the IRS.

March 31, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(33) William says:

Cynthia: I would keep the 1040X in your files until such time as the IRS may contact you about this change in your income. Of course, it won’t hurt to mail in the 1040X either. So really it’s up to you.

March 31, 2008 at 4:33 pm
(34) William says:

Libby: the extra money you paid went to pay back some of your SSDI. This does not reduce or change the amount of your taxable wages. It will change the amount of SSDI in the year of the repayment. Whether you should file an amendment depends on which year you made the repayment, whether that year is over 3 years ago, and whether the change in tax will result in a refund or a lower amount owed to the IRS. If this will lower the amount you owe, yes go ahead and file the amendment. But if it’s over 3 years ago and would result in a refund, there’s not much use of that since you only have 3 years to get a refund.

March 31, 2008 at 4:35 pm
(35) William says:

Steve: Form 8829 should be filed to carryover the amounts from year to year. I would go ahead and file your 2007 returns. The ’06 amendment will take quite a bit of time for the IRS to process, and I see no reason to delay filing the ’07 return.

March 31, 2008 at 4:37 pm
(36) William says:

Meme: Wait for the letter from the IRS. Alternatively, you could file an amendment. This will be easiest if you are using tax software. I say wait for the letter only because that letter will have all the relevant calculations, and will save you some labor. But I would not expect such a letter for at least 6 months to a year from now.

April 9, 2008 at 11:48 am
(37) Cori says:

I e-filed our federal tax return in February and then received an additional 1099-Div that I didn’t know was coming. I have the Amended return and the 1040X completed, but I’m not sure what additional information I need to send with the forms. We did receive a refund originally and with this change we will need to pay a small amount, but I don’t know if they need a copy of the amended return or if they need any copies of the 1099-Div that is the reason we were amending the return. Any suggestions?

April 9, 2008 at 1:09 pm
(38) William Perez says:

Cori: submit the 1040X along with the corrected 1040 and a copy of the 1099-DIV statement. Then mail it to the IRS along with your payment. As long as you file this by April 15th, there won’t be any penalties or interest.

April 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm
(39) Eric says:

I forgot to add my PMI (Mortgage Insurance), what do I do to re-file my taxes

April 14, 2008 at 12:09 pm
(40) Mike says:

Like Cori, I e-filed my return in February and then received an additional 1099-Div. Can I file an extension and then file the amendment later?

April 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm
(41) Sam says:

This year somehow my paystuband w2 showed 3 dependents, while there were none.I realized this only while filing the tax.I filed the tax correctly claimimg no dependants( and got a lesser refund).But I hope i do not have to do anything additional to correct this (other than informing my employer).

April 14, 2008 at 2:11 pm
(42) Tina says:


I just realized that one of my 1099′s is incorrect (amount too high). Should I file my 1040 and pay tax based on the correct amount (assuming my client will submit a corrected 1099)? Or should I request an extension and wait to file until I receive a corrected 1099? Or (my least favorite option), should I pay the higher amount of taxes now, and file a corrected 1040 later and get a refund?



April 15, 2008 at 6:18 am
(43) Jason Beatty says:

I forgot to put my EIN into the forms at the botto0m where I signed. Will they send it back? I am concerned because if it’s late, I will not get the stimulus check.

April 16, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(44) christen says:

I have the same issue as #20 (matt) but didn’t see a response to his question. I finished and filed my taxes – no refund; in fact, I owe, but included the installment plan form. however, i realized – to my horror – that I forgot to attach copies of my W2s (it’s the first time i mailed them in in years – i always did it electronically). should i wait for the irs to contact me, or should i mail them in with an ammendment form? anything?

thank you. :)

May 1, 2008 at 4:54 am
(45) Davonna McGill says:

I have already filed my 2007 taxes and have received my refund back. Then just recently, I found another 1098E amounting $530 that was not reported. Should I do a 1040x amendment?

May 1, 2008 at 2:54 pm
(46) KPM says:

I filed and entered my son’s Social Security number wrong. Will the IRS self-correct this since my son has been my dependant for the last 15 years? Or this get denied and I have to send an amended tax return. Or should I call the IRS to let them know?

my son has been my dependant for the

May 2, 2008 at 3:34 am
(47) Angela says:

I filed a 2006 return and my husband forgot to include a pension he cashed out. Now we received a letter from the IRS saying they have audited us and they want us to pay. I am not sure if I can just ammend the 2006 taxes with a 1040x or not??

May 5, 2008 at 2:20 am
(48) Johannes says:

Hey william

I’ve filed my tax in february, and I’ve still not heard anything from the IRS yet, I don’t know if I might have made any mistakes on anything when I filed it. When/What types of documents should I be expecting, whether if it’s good or bad news?? thanks

May 7, 2008 at 11:07 pm
(49) taxes says:

Johannes: You are not likely to hear from the IRS unless there’s some sort of mistake or if they have more questions. Generally, the IRS has three years from the date you filed to notify you of any mistakes, ask additional questions, or begin an audit. So in my book, no news is usually good news when it comes to hearing from the IRS.

May 8, 2008 at 5:38 pm
(50) Phil says:

If I got a return back more than what I should’ve got back… did that mean I did my return wrong, and it was corrected? Did someone use the wrong bank account and their’s was sent to mine? Or There’s an error and I should return the difference, so not to pay penalty?

May 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm
(51) shane says:

Is it possible to admend my 2007 tax return , if i already recreived the check from the IRS? See i mistakenly claiming to much for school and not understanding what kind of school that is required for credit.

May 14, 2008 at 12:06 am
(52) CNR says:

I filed my corp tax return. The state sales tax dept audited the sales tax returns and found a descripency in the sales. They made assessment and increased the sales amount. I amended both federal and state tax returns and filed by increasing the diff sales amount and increasing the cost of sales. The federal amended return was accepted, but the state is objecting for increase in the cost of goods sold. My question is is there any rule which says once the federal accepts the return the state also should accpt the return. Which one is powerful, the Fed or state. Please advise.


May 17, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(53) REN says:

I just received a notice for the IRS that I owe 1400 becuase I did not claim stock that I sold. I could not understand this because I do not remember receiving a 1099-b.. After looking and looking and going to the company that I bough the stock from it seem like when the check was sent so many months bf doing my taxes that is when they send the form. I searched and found the form.. Can I create and amended tax form for 2006 since i found th tax form with the extra income. Also, after pluggin in the numbers it seem like the tax department says i owe more that i calculated. SO, basically can i submit an amended form for 2006 and send whatever I based on the new numbers?

June 11, 2008 at 5:30 pm
(54) William says:

Ren, Yes, you should amend your return. Your tax will be lower than the IRS estimates, because they do not know what your cost basis for the stock was. Simply prepare an amendment for the year in question, and send that along with the response form that the IRS mailed you.

June 11, 2008 at 5:35 pm
(55) taxes says:

CNR, the state and the federal government both have the authority to audit your returns. Just because one accepts your amendment, that doesn’t mean the other one necessarily will accept it too. As long as you have the supporting documents to prove your numbers are accurate, you will be fine.

May 1, 2008 at 5:41 pm
(56) taxes says:

KPM, if you e-filed, the IRS should have rejected your return and asked you to fix the SSN. If you filed on paper, then wait for the IRS to send you a notice about the discrepancy, and then respond to that notice with the correct information.

April 17, 2008 at 6:06 pm
(57) taxes says:

Christen, wait for the IRS to contact you. They’ll request copies of your W-2 forms. Then attach copies to their response form. This way, your supporting documents will get attached to your return.

June 15, 2008 at 11:40 am
(58) Tony says:

How do I correct an incorrect Social Security number that went in with my return?

June 16, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(59) William says:

Tony, the IRS should “reject” your tax return as unprocessable and send it back to you in the mail. That’s because your name and your SSN won’t match. Then just reply to their letter with a new tax return, this time with your correct SSN. If you haven’t heard from the IRS within 8 weeks of filing your return, I would call and ask them about this situation. They should be able to see the return you filed and advise you how to proceed. The IRS’ phone number is 1-800-829-1040.

July 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(60) WPatel says:

there was a mistake on my adjusted gross income and the federal government corrected it during the filing process. Do I need to do anything to make sure the state gets the correct adjusted gross income. This will effect my tax return.

July 2, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(61) taxes says:

WPatel, if the IRS changed your AGI and other figures, it is likely that the state might also make the same changes. This depends largely on your state and how they process returns. Personally, I would file a state amendment to report these changes and recalculate your state tax. In order to make sure the tax is recalculated properly, you will need to know what exactly was changed (for example, it was a mathematical correction or they changed a figure for income or for a deduction). You may also want to ask a tax professional to review the IRS changes to see if that change was properly made.

July 15, 2008 at 5:04 pm
(62) GH says:

My wife lives with me in the UK and has just caught up on the last 3 years tax returns. We have just noticed that our agent doubled the foreign income on her 2555 – we’d already converted to dollars and he did it again.

I can’t find a place on the 1040X to correct this mistake as her total income after the 2555 is still zero!

Should we file a 1040X anyway and explain the error in part II?

Thanks – and great advice on this page by the way.

July 17, 2008 at 6:11 pm
(63) William Perez says:

GH, I don’t like it when accountants make such simple oversights like this. Granted, I’ve made mistakes too. If I were you, I’d the accountant to fix the mistake. Or to phrase it another way, if I made this mistake on a client’s return, I’d fix the mistake at no charge. Since the correction won’t change the tax, I doubt the IRS will care. But I’m of the opinion that a tax return should be as accurate as humanly possible, so I would want to fix the mistake. Just get a correct Form 2555 (with the right numbers). This time attach a spreadsheet to show how you converted the pounds into dollars, and on the 1040X report all the numbers they ask for. And in the explanation area, explain this mistake and point them to the corrected Form 2555 and your spreadsheet. I know this is a lot of hassle for someone else’s mistake, so that’s why I suggested getting your accountant to do this for you. In the end, this will protect the return from being considered inaccurate, which considering how aggressive the IRS can be at times, it’s an advantage worth having.

July 22, 2008 at 7:41 pm
(64) Campbell says:

My husband and I got a letter that we have been audited for 2004 and 2006 and we now owe 15,000. We sent our taxes to some body out of state and turns out that he is a fraud. We feel so hopeless and I don’t know what to do. i cannot pay that bill. The accountant included a whole bunch of miscellaneous deductions that we did not approve. Everything was done over the computer,we did not sign the returns, so does that make them void.Can we amend the taxes even after the IRS has audited us and sent the bill? Please help.

July 22, 2008 at 8:06 pm
(65) William Perez says:

Campbell, wow. I find it incredibly infuriating when tax “professionals” misuse their position to screw up their client’s financial lives. However, you are the person responsible for signing the return and making sure the return is accurate before it’s filed. At the very least you would have had to sign the efile authorization page (either Form 8879 or 8453). If you did not sign either of those forms, then there’s a case that could be made that the preparer filed without your consent.

At this point you should hire an experienced and trustworthy tax professional who will go to bat for you with the IRS and state tax agencies. You’ll need someone licensed, so that means an attorney, a CPA, or an enrolled agent. Those are the only types of professionals permitted to handle audit and collection issues.

If you received a refund as a result of these erroneous deductions, you will need to pay the refund back, plus penalties and interest. But the amount you need to to pay back will be determined by how much you were actually entitled to deduct. In other words, the IRS might have disallowed all your tax deductions, which would be going overboard. The best way to approach this is to start from scratch to figure out exactly what your tax return should have looked like.

Additionally, you will want to take steps to limit the types of penalties the IRS will assess. You will also want to take full advantage of any protections and defenses available to you. Your new tax professional should be able to review your situation and advise you on what needs to be done to best protect your interests.

July 23, 2008 at 11:56 am
(66) VJmem says:

Is it possible to file tax years (federal) for 2005 and 2006 electronically? I mailed them in however, forgot to sign them and IRS won’t process my 2007 return until they are signed. Problem is, the IRS says that I should have received a letter asking for a signature since June 30; however, I have not and really would like to get my refund. Any help? Thanks.

July 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(67) William Perez says:

VJmem, it is not possible to file prior year tax returns electronically. I wish we could, as that would save a lot of hassle. But the system is built to handle only the current filing year. When a return isn’t signed, the IRS does send out a letter asking for your signature. They sometimes send the returns back as well. At this point I would make another copy of your ’05 and ’06 returns, sign those, and hand deliver them to your local IRS office. Explain to the IRS agent at the office that the returns were mailed in without a signature, and that these ones are signed.

July 23, 2008 at 4:12 pm
(68) VJmem says:

William Perez: thanks for the info. great idea. I will do that on tomorrow.

July 24, 2008 at 12:49 am
(69) ANJIE says:


July 31, 2008 at 9:49 am
(70) MatherCalif says:

How do I know the IRS received my return? I haven’t gotten my refund yet. I found what I THINK is a copy of my return, but I am notoriously absent-minded and now fretting that I prepared the whole thing and didn’t SEND IT!!!

July 31, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(71) William says:

MatherCalif, a simple phone call to the IRS just clear up any confusion. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. Ask them if they received your tax return. If not, then mail it in. If they have, ask them how long before you receive your refund. If you do need to mail in the return, be sure to send it certified mail, so you can get a receipt of when it was delivered to the IRS office.

August 1, 2008 at 10:57 am
(72) MatherCalif says:

Thank you! My horrible sick feeling has decreased considerably…

August 29, 2008 at 3:33 pm
(73) Cheri says:

Thanks to comments such as these to give imperative information one would have never known about. God bless all of you. Thanks again for the info.

September 19, 2008 at 3:56 pm
(74) Lisa says:

I filed an amended return, and now owe the IRS. I can’t pay it all in a lump sum, so I’ll have to ask for an installment plan. I doubt it will be paid off before next year’s taxes. I expect a refund next year. Will my amended filing (what I owe) affect me getting a refund next year? Will the IRS take any refund that is due me and apply it toward this year’s balance owed?

September 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(75) ku38 says:

Hi I live in MN and work in WI in 2005, how do I file an admend to correct my tax on the wisconsin side? thx for any advice

September 22, 2008 at 3:33 pm
(76) taxes says:

ku38, you’ll need to fill out a new Wisconsin Form 1NPR for nonresidents, and check the box above the social security number to indicate this is an amended return. Here’s links to the form itself and the instructions, both are pdf files. Amended returns are mentioned on page 36 of that instruction booklet.

September 25, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(77) mary says:

My common law husband deceased in July 2006. Our daughter was born in 1996. He was disabled between 1996 and 97. Finally got his SS after about a year of being off work. I was the only one working. I talked to H & R Block when filing and was told I could file as head of household because I was the one providing all costs of living and that I could not claim my husband as a dependant because he was an adult. Once he and my daughter got SS, a year later, we were told that he did not need to file a tax return and that my filing would be the same. Since that time I have always filed as head of household. 2 years after his death and fighting for my rights as his wife, I was told that this information is not true. I think I am in some serious trouble at this point because had I known what to do, I would have filed differently and claimed him as a dependant. What do I do now?

September 25, 2008 at 7:18 pm
(78) taxes says:

Mary, sounds like you received some incomplete advice. The first thing to figure out is (1) whether your state recognizes common law marriages, and if so, whether you were considered married. If so, then you would have to file either as married filing jointly (with your husband) or married filing separately. You may also have been eligible to file as head of household if you lived apart from your husband for at least the last six months of the year. If your state does not recognize common law marriages, then you would be considered unmarried and your filing status options would be single or head of household (but without the six month living apart requirement).

Making matters even more complicated is that now you are fighting to prove you were really married to him. And I would think the courts would look at the patterns of facts, such as did you have joint bank accounts, did you file returns as married people, did you have wills and so forth. Thus filing as head of household might give the court the impression you were not married, but that would be an impression only and you’d have to explain the thought process behind your filing strategy.

At this point, I don’t think there’s much you need to worry about now from a tax perspective. If anything you might have overstated your tax. I doubt that you would owe more tax. Here’s my reasoning. The IRS has 3 years to audit, and you have 3 years to correct any mistakes and receive an extra refund. This is called the statute of limitations. Your husband died in 2006. That means 2007 you are definitely unmarried. Your filing status could be Head of Household or perhaps Qualifying Widow with dependent child. The QW status provides a larger standard deduction than HOH, so there might be extra refund money for 2007 if you amend. Other than that, I don’t see any issues for 2007. For 2006 you could have filed either as Married Filing Joint or HOH. It’s unclear whether you’d have any additional refund money, since you’d would need to include your husband’s income and Social Security on the joint return. Same goes for 2005 and earlier years. The only years open for refunds or audits is 2005, 2006, and 2007. So if you have additional refunds, I’d say that amending to get the refunds would be worthwhile. The earlier years are closed for refunds or audit, so I’d only file amendments if you need to report additional income.

Given the filing strategy you chose, I would say that your husband definitely had a filing requirement, and would have owed tax. That’s because if you were considered legally married, and since you claimed HOH, then he would have been forced into filing as married filing separately. Most importantly: it forces Social Security benefits to become taxable income. However, he did not file. And if you were to file for him, the only option left available to him is the separate filing status, and that would leave him owing money. This is not going to be a good thing, as the IRS could look to his estate to pay the taxes.

So the only tax option is to leave things as they are, or to amend to file joint returns. However, a joint return can be filed after the death of the spouse only where there’s an executor or administrator for your husband’s estate. And the executor must agree to the filing of a joint return. If your husband’s estate does not have an executor or administrator, then a joint return cannot be filed. (Treasury Regulations section 1.6013-2 paragraph 3.)

So, what can be done now? Talk to the administrator of your husband’s estate to see if they would agree to filing joint returns. This could possibly result in additional refunds. Otherwise, I don’t see any additional things you need to do.

September 27, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(79) Rachel says:

I take care of my parents finances, but a tax professional prepares their taxes, I just gather what is requested and take it to her. I was unaware, as I assume the tax professional was, that my mother never changed her SS card to her married name, so their taxes were filed under her married name but her SS card still has her maiden name on it. This has been done the last 5 years they have been married without any importance until this year. I checked their stimulus status online and it says that they were declined because the SSN doesnt match the name. How can this be corrected so they can receive their stimulus payment? They need it desperately. It seems the IRS should have rejected their returns before now for the name not matching the SS # filed. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I will be contacting the tax professional that filed for them as well asap.

September 29, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(80) taxes says:

Rachel, what an interesting story. It’s amazing that the IRS hasn’t caught this oversight before. According to this article in the Baltimore Sun, the IRS won’t release the stimulus refund for your parents until next year when they claim the stimulus rebate as an additional tax credit on their 2008 tax returns. This refundable tax credit is being called the Recovery Rebate Credit, and will be a one-time tax credit for 2008 only, based the stimulus rebate a taxpayer was supposed to receive, minus any rebates the taxpayer actually received. The IRS is not going to send out revisions to the rebate, even if an amendment is filed.

October 20, 2008 at 1:41 pm
(81) Kathryn says:

William, I filed our children’s tax returns this year and they owed some tax and had to pay at our (parent’s) rate. I was required to list the amount of income from our tax return. I listed this as an Estimated amount because we had to file for an extension. I under-estimated the amount on their tax returns but when I enter a new amount in the 1040X form it does not change the amount that they owe. Do I need to file amendments for them or is this like “correcting math.” Thanks for your help.

October 22, 2008 at 11:18 pm
(82) lisa says:

I realized that I did not claim small amounts of income for 2005, 2006 and 2007. The total for 2005 is about $100, 2006 is $118 and 2007 is $40. The date has passed for me to be able to file an amended return for 2005. Is there a way for me to do this?

November 2, 2008 at 9:09 pm
(83) taxes says:

Kathryn, great question. Since there is no change in the tax, I would not bother with an amendment. The IRS computers may even correct this automatically.

November 2, 2008 at 9:13 pm
(84) taxes says:

Lisa, you can still amend those returns to report additional income. Usually, additional income results in additional taxes, so there may be some penalties. But I would first check to see if the IRS has sent you any letters regarding this. Usually with small amounts of income, the IRS will send out a letter indicating you forgot to report some income, and they already recalculate the taxes. So I will look for that first. If they haven’t sent you any letters, then you’ll want to prepare a draft amended return for these years and see if the extra income results in any additional tax. If so, be sure to send it in. However, if there’s no additional tax, I wouldn’t bother sending it in unless the IRS specifically requests it.

November 10, 2008 at 12:58 am
(85) Lisa says:

Thank you!

November 12, 2008 at 10:40 am
(86) Cindy says:

My husband died in 1987 at the age of 38. I paid $17,000 in taxes for his profit sharing distribution and was told by my attorney that I may be entitled to a refund in the year in which he would turn 59. Is this correct and if so, how do I go about getting said refund? I live in Illinois. Thanks.

December 11, 2008 at 10:57 am
(87) Connie says:

If my employer made a mistake on the Social Security wages box of my W-2 and has now sent me a W-2c correcting just that amount (nothing else is wrong), what do I need to file?

December 16, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(88) taxes says:

Connie, you won’t need to file an amended tax return, since there will not be any change to your federal income tax. However, do make sure that the SSA updates your earnings history with the correct figures.

November 16, 2008 at 7:11 pm
(89) taxes says:

Cindy, distributions from a retirement plan such as a 401(k) plan are always subject to the income tax. There’s an additional 10% penalty if the distribution occurs before the plan participant reaches age 59.5 years old. That penalty would not apply in your case, as distributions as a result of death or disability are exempt from the penalty. But the distribution is always taxable income, since the funds were set aside as pre-tax dollars. So there’s no refund available.

January 5, 2009 at 1:48 am
(90) blw says:

After filing our 2006 return, we realized that a very large deduction had been missed, so we filed an amended return. While waiting for the refund, we were informed that our (original) 2006 return is being audited.

I am preparing for the audit and realized that our 2006 income was reported too high: a 1099 form sent to my husband should have been sent to his LLC. Therefore some of his income was actually reported twice.

Is this something we can resolve during the audit, and get an even larger refund? Or will we have to file a second amended return, as soon as we get through the audit? If so, do we wait till the first amended return is accepted?


January 8, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(91) taxes says:

blw, you should attempt to get all of those issues resolved during the audit. The amended return will likely be routed to the auditor for review, but you should supply the auditor with a copy of the amendment just in case.

January 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm
(92) Elena says:

I obtained a $1000 loan from my 401k and just want to know if i am supposed to claim this on my 2008 taxes this year. My human resources person that set up the loan at my job said that i dont but i have been told otherwise by other people. Its an after tax deduction on paychecks since im paying it back in small amounts, so i am already paying the taxes on my checks, correct?
Also, before my husband and i were married, he did not file his 2006 taxes, so i just did that and found out that he will be getting a pretty big return. How long does the irs usually take to process prior years returns?

January 12, 2009 at 11:42 am
(93) makeitso says:

I just realized I filed my 2006 tax status incorrectly. I filed married joint, but was divorced in Sept of 2006. I thought I had the choice to file married joint or single….I now see I have to file single. So, I have filled out an ammended return, claiming single status. By doing this I now have a refund coming back, ( I had to pay thousands on original return)….

My question is….is this the correct process to follow? I have read you cannot change status after filing joint…but in this case, true status was single ( divorced)….and a large overpayment on my part to the feds.??

What should / can I do??

January 13, 2009 at 10:30 am
(94) TGF says:

I was divorced in 2007 and at the time my ex-husband and I verbally agreed on claiming a specified amount as alimony (his claim was a deduction, my claim was income). Now, he wants to claim more. will we have have to file amended 2007 returns at the same time? What if I choose to wait another year when I will be more prepared to pay the additional tax owed?

January 13, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(95) William Perez says:

Elena, you don’t need to report a 401k loan on your tax return. Instead, all repayments are taken out of your paycheck (post-tax, so taxes are already paid on the repayment), and the loan principal and interest is then deposited back into your 401k account. The only time that a loan will show up on your tax return is if you fail to repay the loan — for example, if you leave or are terminated and you haven’t paid the loan in full. In that case, you’d have a distribution from the 401k, and the unpaid loan amount would then be reported as a taxable distribution.

As for your husband’s 2006 tax return, expect the IRS to take at least 12-16 weeks from the day you mailed in the return to process the tax return and issue a refund. The refund might be applied to other tax years if he owes taxes. Otherwise, it will be refunded to you.

January 13, 2009 at 1:50 pm
(96) William Perez says:

makeitso, if you originally filed a joint return with your now ex-spouse, then the both of you will need to file your own tax returns using the single filing status. Filing an amendment is the right thing to do. Be sure to include a copy (not the original) of your divorce decree or separation papers so that the IRS will believe you when you say that you were single for that year.

The rule about married filing jointly applies to couples who are legally married and the time period they have for choosing to file separately vs. jointly. They can go from separate to joint returns. But you can go from joint to separate returns only by the April 15th deadline.

This prohibition against separating the returns does not apply in your case, since you were not legally entitled to using the married filing statuses in the first place.

On your single return, be sure to include only your income, your deductions, and your withholding. Your ex will need to file his or her own single return as well.

January 13, 2009 at 1:55 pm
(97) William Perez says:

TGF, the first thing I would do is review the six criteria for what’s considered alimony. Alimony should be for your separate maintenance and should not include any amounts for child support. Also, the amount being reported should be the actual amount he’s paying you.

If it were me, I would stick to the amounts previously agreed upon, and then discuss the possibly of increasing the amounts being reported in future tax years. If you amend 2007 now to report more income, you’ll pay additional tax and also penalties and interest due to the late payment of the tax. So I’d rather avoid that if at all possible.

January 14, 2009 at 11:15 pm
(98) Brittany says:

I filed my return for self employment but I had earned less than a 1,000 from an employer that I forgot to include, should I file a amended return? Will I get audited?

January 15, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(99) Wendi says:

I filled my 2008 return and just realized i forgot to put the state and state ID# in box 15. We have 2 W2′s but only one of them have the #. We are in TN. we don’t’ have state tax, is that what this is for? Or will my return get rejected?

January 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(100) wendi says:

I also forgot to add…I accidentally claimed we made about $400 more than we actually did. It was in our favor for $40 more of a refund. Will the IRS auto correct it since it’s a math discrepancy or will they reject the E-file? Thanks!

January 15, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(101) Joe says:

I wasn’t aware that I could claim my child support. I wish to claim it for the past three years. What form do I need to get?

January 15, 2009 at 9:16 pm
(102) William Perez says:

Joe, you cannot claim a tax deduction for your child support. So there’s nothing you need to do.

January 15, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(103) William Perez says:

Wendi, you could wait for the IRS to catch this error, but that process could easily take months or years as their computers match up tax returns with W2 documents. So to be on the safe side, it will be better to file an amendment before April 15th and repay the extra $40 refund. As long as you amend and pay by April 15th, there would be any penalties.

January 15, 2009 at 9:33 pm
(104) Lisa says:

I didnt include a w-2, will the irs audit my return for the small amount.

January 15, 2009 at 9:35 pm
(105) taxes says:

Brittany, yes you should file an amended return. That’s because it’s always a good idea for your return to be accurate. Plus, the IRS matches up the income you report with income reported directly to the IRS from the 1099 forms. So it’s better to get this corrected now, which could actually prevent the IRS from starting an audit.

January 15, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(106) taxes says:

Lisa, yes the IRS will audit your tax return if you leave off a W-2. They consider this under-reporting your income, and such audits happen approximately 6 to 12 months after you file. So to avoid an IRS audit, it is best to amend your tax return now to report the additional income and recalculate your tax. As long as you amend and pay by April 15th, the IRS won’t assess any penalties for the mistake.

January 18, 2009 at 8:13 pm
(107) Jennifer says:

If you have a child that is considered a QUALIFYING RELATIVE, can you take the EIC being that it’s a child?

January 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm
(108) taxes says:

Jennifer, the earned income credit is based in part on how the dependent is related to you. Only your son, daughter, grandchild, niece, nephew, brother, sister, or eligible foster child will qualify you for EIC. Another other type of relationship will not qualify.

January 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(109) Robert says:

I just filed my 2008 taxes. I realized that after e-filing through my preparer (VITA-Navy), that an additional $66.00 was added to my taxable interest income bringing the total to $986.00 as opposed to $920.00. Will the IRS automatically adjust and correct this or do I need to go back and file an amended return? Thanks. Go Navy!

January 23, 2009 at 2:40 pm
(110) William Perez says:

Robert, you should amend your should to add in this additional income. It will be cheaper than having the IRS correct this. That’s because if you amend by April 15th, there won’t be any interest or late penalties. If you wait for the IRS to correct this, it will take them about a year or so before they get around to discovering the oversight, and by that time they will add in penalties and interest. So you’ll save some money by fixing this yourself.

January 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm
(111) Tj806 says:

I e filed my returns and realized that I had incorrectly entered the wrong amount on the residential energy credit portion of my return. It asked for the amount from the previous year and I entered incorrectly without realizing it. Will the IRS automatically correct or will it be held up and delayed for months?

January 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(112) Ulysses says:

I’ve got 300.00 total late mortgage fees appearing on my bank interest and property tax paid statement (1090). Where can I find out if late fee is deductible?

January 30, 2009 at 8:26 am
(113) Heather says:

I filed my return electronically this week. I didn’t realize I had a 1098-T coming. How do I correct this? I used Taxact and entered these amounts and it resulted in a larger refund than we originally had.

January 30, 2009 at 6:04 pm
(114) Lyndenrider says:

HELP!!! I e-filed my 2008 tax return and a week later realized that I used the wrong FEIN for my employer. The FEIN I used was for our corporate office, but the FEIN for the “parent company” that I work for is different. I looked on the IRS website for an answer, but could not find anything. Will this be a problem for me????

January 31, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(115) skypirate says:

Several months after filing her 2007 return my wife recieved a form W2C from a former employer. The correction showed her income to be about 960.00 less than the original W2. Of course the withholding amounts were corrected as well. How important is it for her to file a 1040X. Is this likely to bite her somewhere down the road or should she just leave well enough alone?

January 31, 2009 at 11:26 pm
(116) ProBach says:

I need to know if I’ll receive a refund for 2008. I need to amend my 2007 return, and I will owe money. Will they just take it from this years refund?

February 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm
(117) claudette green says:

i submitted our tax return without imput of my w-2 which would give us two income. at my job we could automatic have it imported through the system and i thougt that was what i was doing, so do i need to do a 1040x?

February 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm
(118) RAI says:

My brother in law filed an amended return last year and I recently found errors that could bennefit him. Can he amend his amended return again?

February 3, 2009 at 8:38 am
(119) Julie says:

I submitted my NJ state taxes and just realized that when e-filing I put the wrong social security number down for my son. How can I correct this?

February 3, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(120) Linda Cowan says:

I need to file a second amendment to my 2007 federal return. I use TurboTax. Do I amend the previous Amendment or do I again amend the original 1040?

February 3, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(121) Linda Cowan says:

I need to file a second amendment to my 2007 federal return. I use TurboTax. Do I amend the previous Amendment or do I again amend the original 1040?

February 3, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(122) DanOhio says:

Hi, I have a capital loss of $9000 in 2006 and I claimed a $3000 lost that year. I then forget to include a capital loss carryover in 2006. In 2007, I did not claim this capital lost. Can I claim this lost this year in 2008? If so, how can I do that?

Thank you so much!

February 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(123) Lady Di says:

I submitted my return and inadvertently included interest from a 1098 for 2007 instead of 2008 which was a diffrence of $56. This resulted in my refund being reduced by $7.00 on the Federal and $4.00 on the State. Do I still need to file an amended return and send a check for the difference? Thanks.

February 3, 2009 at 8:21 pm
(124) JJ says:

I already filed my return for 2008 but forgot to include about $120 of additional income from a 401k that payed out when I got fired from that job. Do I still need to file an amendment or is the amount too small to worry about?

February 3, 2009 at 11:16 pm
(125) tessa says:

I filed my 2008 taxes but reported more than i made. I tryed to submit the 1040x but the online company i use says the IRS isn’t accepting admendments yet. When does the IRS usually accept admendments. thanks

February 4, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(126) William Perez says:

Tessa, you can send in your amendment at any time. But you’ll need to mail it in, as there’s no e-file for amendments. You might want to want a couple of weeks just to be sure you’ve received all possible tax documents and deductions and so forth.

February 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm
(127) MichelleVB73 says:

For 2 years now when my husband and I efile it gets kicked back because someone else is using my daughters ssn and we have to paper file. In October I received a letter saying if she wasn’t my daughter to amend my tax form. I took the letter with her birth certificate and ss card to the local IRS office and I was told the only way to correct this was to file before the other people using her number so that theres would get kicked back and they would then hopefully relize their mistake. Why is it that the IRS cannot find these people??? When I asked the women if my 7 year daughter was going to have this problem for the rest of her life her answer was “lets hope not”. SS told me the number was not duplicated and they will not issue a new number. This has only been happening since 2006 and I am hoping I can get my return in quicker. Is there anything we can do to find out who’s doing this???

February 6, 2009 at 9:38 am
(128) sandy says:

we tried to file our taxes electronically and it got rejected because dependent is claimed by someone else. we dont know how this happened. we filed by mail anyway because he is our son. what will the irs do with our return?

February 7, 2009 at 10:05 am
(129) Amanda says:

I efile my federal return last night and realized that when I did my 2106 for my business mileage and instead of putting 6,264 mile i did it down to the exact which was 6264.32 miles and came out to some ridiculous amount of 366,462 instead of 3,664 miles. Anyway I filed it like an idiot not realizing what I did. Should I wait to file my state taxes until this is corrected?

February 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm
(130) jason says:

In 2007 I filed single and itemized my deductions. Also had income in two states, resulting in $1500 refund from MD and owing $1200 to MA. Didn’t think anything of it because I assumed I’d be itemizing this year.

But I got married and will be filing jointly, and will end up taking standard deduction. Should I amend 2007 fed taxes to adjust the itemized deductions, then file 2008 with no 1099G for MD? Right now I’ll end up paying around $500 because I’m taxed on full refund but not getting to offset MA refund… Thanks for any help!

February 8, 2009 at 4:25 am
(131) bitoolah says:

if i have corrections like this on my tax return
1. 1040 Invalid format for country name,
2.form 8862 – RET 1040 Earned income credit invalid for overseas address Disallowed EIC Claim must be completed and submitted.
3. Signature Page – Taxpayer prior year AGI mismatch Taxpayer AGI or PIN
Can i correct them and resubmit it?

February 9, 2009 at 6:11 pm
(132) Carolyn says:

Sandy, the IRS will contact both you and other party that has filed your son as a dependent and request copies of both the birth certificate and SS card. Since he is your son, you can provide those. The other party won’t be able to and they will be required to repay any refund they received. (I went through this very same thing last year and after I sent in those documents, everything was fine.)
Hope that helps.

February 10, 2009 at 11:38 am
(133) Ava says:

We already e-filed filled and received our return. Upon closer Inspection I realized I entered the wrong employer TIN. Will the IRS correct the mistake or do i need to file an amended return? Will i have problems E-filing next year? My Husband files with an ITIN if that makes any difference.

February 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(134) sandy says:

thanks carolyn for your response. how long did it take to get your refund afterwards.

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm
(135) Yao says:

I have already mailed in my 2008 tax return before I realized an employment I forgot when filing the 1040EZ. I was looking at the 1040X, I believe the instructions are from last year, so I am stuck on line 2 and 4. for those two lines, it asked “Did someone claim you as a dependent on their return? (On your 2005-2007 Form 1040EZ, on or both boxes on line 5 will be checked.) I was claimed prior to 2008 Tax return, so should I check no since I am amending the 2008 Tax return? If so, on the chart it if given for the step if I check no, the amount to be filled in lines 2 and 4 are the amount from 2007, $5350 and $3400 respectively. What should I write in on the 1040X for 2008 Tax return?
Thank you,

February 11, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(136) Steven says:

I filed Form 982 on my federal return due to debt that was cancelled through bankruptcy. Instead of checking box 1a I checked box 1b. What can I do to fix this? Do I need to amend this? My return has already been accepted by the IRS. Will I still get my return?

February 12, 2009 at 11:53 am
(137) Nessa says:

I e-filed our taxes on 2/2/09 thinking I had everything. We had a home foreclosed on in 2008 and sold at Sheriff’s sale in June 08. I just received a 1099-A from the mortgage lender 2 days ago! The 1099-A was dated for 1/20/09 and the postmark was 1/30/09 on the envelope but for whatever reason it took the mail 11 days to deliver it…at any rate, the fair market value listed on the 1099-A is more than the balance owed, which would give us a non deductible loss on the property. I have not received a 1099-C or anything. I went back in and amended my return (have not mailed it yet though) and it does not change our taxable income or reduce our refund…refund stays the same. Do I have to mail an amended return or not since it does not change our income or the amount of our refund? Thanks.

February 13, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(138) barbie says:

My husband and I used an online tax preparation service this year that we have never used before. It was confusing and frustrating. Our power went out during the preparation and I think I was on a wrong page when I was returned to the site. Sigh! Long story short, I filed as a sole proprietor (independent contractor) and probably should have only added the income as additional income. I need to amend this as I am receiving a refund electronically any day. There were other mistakes on the return I found after filing. Do I send the return back or cash it and file an amendment and return whatever I may need to?

February 14, 2009 at 2:29 am
(139) Rachael says:

I filed my 2008 taxes and received my return. However, I would have received a much better return had I not reported a few thousand dollar worth of income. Can I file an amended return to exclude this income in order to receive a better return this year, and then report it at next year’s tax time? Is that legal?


February 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm
(140) Steph says:

I just filed an ammended return and will be receiving some extra money back, will they just send a check for that extra payment? Thanks

February 15, 2009 at 2:55 am
(141) lindsay says:

we’re first time parents and my boyfriend accidently selected the box saying that our child didnt qualify for EIC when she does!! so we lost about 2700 in deductions—can i fix this with an amended return and how do i go about doing so?

February 15, 2009 at 11:31 am
(142) vanessa says:

I already filed my taxes for 2008 and recieved my refund this year I claimed my two sons as my dependents, but now it turns out that my soon to be ex husband also, claimed one of our sons on his taxes now his are on hold. His tax people are giving him two options, either pay the amount they charged him to prepare his taxes or have myself claim him as a dependent on my taxes. What can I do? What will happen if i claim him do i need to amend or what? Will I get charged a second fee for doing this?

February 15, 2009 at 11:39 am
(143) michelle says:

what shall I do if my ex wants to be added as a dependent on my taxes when I already filed and recieved my refund?

February 16, 2009 at 9:50 am
(144) mary says:

i just recived a misc 1099 for $750.00.
it means i will owe 72.00 more.
should i file an amendment?

February 16, 2009 at 1:04 pm
(145) Ashlesee32 says:

I filled my taxes last month and have already received my return I just received a 1098-t Tuition Statement and need to amend my taxes I have printed the 1040x but I dont understand how to fill it out can someone help me with this Thanks

February 16, 2009 at 7:37 pm
(146) taxes says:

Mary, yes you should file an amendment. I know it’s a hassle, but it will be cheaper if you fix it now. By the time the IRS computers to catch this mistake, they will likely add penalties and interest on top of the amount you owe.

February 16, 2009 at 7:41 pm
(147) taxes says:

Ashlesee32, by filing an amendment, you’ll be able to claim a deduction or credit for your tuition. Simply fill out a new 1040, use the same information as before, but this time remember to add in one of the tax breaks for higher education. Once you have your new 1040 finished, you will then report the differences between the original 1040 and the newly revised 1040 using Form 1040X.

This is generally pretty easy if you use tax software, as the software can automatically generate the required forms after you input your revisions.

February 16, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(148) taxes says:

Michelle, generally speaking ex-spouses aren’t dependents. Perhaps you meant that you want to revise which kids you are claiming as dependents because your ex wants to claim one or more of the dependents on his return? In such a case, you will need to come to an agreement on who is entitled to claim which dependents. And generally only the parent with whom the kids lived for more than half the year will qualify to claim them. Hope this helps.

February 16, 2009 at 7:50 pm
(149) taxes says:

Vanessa, generally speaking the custodial parent is the person best entitled to claim any dependents. Ex-spouses generally don’t qualify as dependents, because they would need to live with you for an entire calendar year and they would need to make less than $3,500 under the qualifying relative rules. And if that were the case, then your ex would not have an tax liability if he filed his own tax return. So it sounds to me like your ex wants to claim one or more dependents on his return so he can lower his taxes. To do that, you would both need to come to an agreement on which of you are most entitled to the dependents, and so you’d have to work through all the various criteria.

February 18, 2009 at 8:17 am
(150) Dan says:

I significantly underreported my state tax deduction in 2007. Can I add the underreported amount to my 2008 Schedule A deduction or do I have to file an amended return for 2007?

February 19, 2009 at 10:21 am
(151) Jackie says:

I filed electronically and forgot to put one of my w2′s. The income was only around 600. I then noticed that the date my return should be expected changed from the 17th to the 24th! Do you think thats why it has been postponed? What should I do with the w2 i forgot? I am moving at the end of the month and i NEED my return for the expenses! Hope I get it by the 24th!!

February 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(152) linda says:

I sold my property back in April 2008 due to a divorce. I contacted my ex to see if he recieved any forms from the mortgage company before I did my taxes and he said he did not recieve anything. so I went ahead and filed my taxes,I then recieved a mortgage interest statement form 1098 substitute I am being told I need to file an amendment. Is this what I need to do if so what forms do I need.
Thank You

February 19, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(153) Lydia says:

I just filed my 2008 tax. Before I put the amount I paid on interest for my student loan from the 1098-E form, my tax return was about $230. After I put the figures in, my tax return was $77. My first question is why & my second question is am I always required to put the information on 1098-E form that my student loaner send me? Thank you for your help.

February 19, 2009 at 6:56 pm
(154) William Perez says:

Dan, no, deductions are reported in the year they were incurred. So I would suggest amending your return so you can get an extra refund.

February 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm
(155) William Perez says:

Jackie, you’ll need to amend your return to add in the other W-2 wages and tax withholdings and to recalculate your tax. I’m not sure why your initial refund was delayed, but it should arrive on the 24th. Use your new address on the amended return, so that the IRS can send any additional refund check to the right address.

February 19, 2009 at 7:03 pm
(156) William Perez says:

Linda, you may need to amend to report the additional mortgage interest and property tax. Before you do, I would do some quick math to make sure this will be worthwhile. First, if you itemized on your original return, then amending to report more deductions will result in an additional tax refund. Second, if you took the standard deduction on your original return, then compare your total itemized deductions for mortgage interest, property tax, charity, etc. to the standard deduction and see which is higher. If the standard deduction is higher, then you won’t need to amend as the standard deduction is giving you a better tax figure. If the itemized deductions are higher, then amend and you’ll get an extra refund. Hope this makes helps.

February 22, 2009 at 1:03 am
(157) Janice says:

My ex-husband and I filed jointly in 2006. We were divorced in 2007. He is currently angry with me and has said that he is going to ammend the 2006 filing status to married filing separately. Are there any circumstances where he can do this? Thanks! janice

February 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(158) Brian says:

I realized that I should not have applied by 2008 refund to my 2009 estimated tax. Is there anything I can do about this since it has already been filed with the IRS?

February 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(159) taxes says:

Janice, it is not possible to switch from married filing jointly to married filing separately at this point. The change from MFJ to MFS must occur no later than the original filing deadline (April 15), without regard to any extensions. After the deadline has passed, it’s no longer possible to amend to switch to separate returns. Furthermore, even if your ex wanted to amend the ’06 return to change other items (deductions, credits, income, etc.), he would need your signature on the return, and it would be your right to review that and agree or not to signing it. As such I don’t think you have anything to fear from his protests as there’s nothing he can do about it.

February 22, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(160) taxes says:

Brian, what an interesting question. In Publication 17, the IRS states, “If you choose to have a 2008 overpayment applied to your 2009 estimated tax, you cannot change your mind and have any of it refunded to you after the due date (without extensions) of your 2008 return.” (Pub 17, chapter 1). What this says to me is that you can amend your return before April 15th to remove the applied refund and instruct the IRS to issue you a refund check. Your Form 1040x won’t show any changes to income and deductions. You’ll show this change on Lines 23 and 24, and explain that you’ve changed your mind about applying the refund in the narrative section on page 2.

February 23, 2009 at 10:58 am
(161) Brian says:

Thanks for getting back with an answer so quickly. I was reviewing the instructions for the 1040x form when I saw this note: “If you elected to apply any part of an overpayment on your original return to your next year’s estimated tax, you cannot reverse that election on your amended return.”

If the IRS does not allow me to amend my return, will the entire balance of the overpayment ($701) be applied to next year’s tax return? (ex. If I have an overpayment next year of $500, is it $500 + $701= refund in 2010)
Thanks again for your help.

February 23, 2009 at 11:45 am
(162) LaDonna says:

I have been disabled the past 2 years and receive long term disability from my past employer. During the past year, my fiance has helped me out by paying for my medications and doctor visits so when he did his 2008 taxes, he claimed me as a dependent and claimed medical expenses that he had paid without me knowing. Well, when I did my taxes recently online, my federal and my state returns were both kicked back and denied because I had been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. Of course, I was horrified until I found out that it was my fiance that had used me as a dependent. He said he forgot to remove me. So, what do I do?? Do I file by mail or do I call the IRS to find out how I should precede from here?

February 23, 2009 at 9:11 pm
(163) taxes says:

Brian, you’re welcome. This is such a thoroughly interesting question because I’ve never encountered this before. It strikes me that the language in the Instructions for Form 1040X and the language in Publication 17 conflict with each other. I looked into this further by searching through the Internal Revenue Manual, which is a sort of guide to procedures and operations at the IRS. At IRM (http://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/ch04s01.html, and you’ll have to scroll for a bit, or use the Find function to search for “Credit Elect”)… in this section the IRS discusses under which circumstances it will reverse the applied refund and issue a refund check. The factor which seems most relevant in your situation is that you expect to have a refund next year, and thus are not required to make additional estimated tax payments. “The taxpayer is not liable for ES, and he/she erred in entering the overpayment as a credit elect.” (Paragraph 2, bullet point B.)

Thus I would amend, explain your change, and explain that you expect to have a tax refund next year and thus erred in entering the refund as a credit elect, and that you want your refund issued to you. I take it from the language in Pub 17 that your request will be honored if you amend before April 15th.

Now that I think about it, the language from the 1040X instructions would seem to indicate that any decision made to apply a refund on Form 1040X would be irrevocable once Form 1040X is filed. But that’s not what you are doing; instead you are filing a 1040X to change your mind about a decision you made on an original 1040.

If the IRS does not honor your request, then this applied refund will show up on next year’s tax return as part of your estimated tax payments. This increases your payments of tax. If your refund situation is as you describe, you would indeed have a refund that’s $701 higher.

Please let me know how it goes for you. I’d like to have that inside knowledge of whether this works or not! :-)

February 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(164) taxes says:

LaDonna, sorry to hear about your tax situation. You might want to do a quick check to see if your fiance would be eligible to claim you as a dependent. There’s two different types of dependents, and you would fall under the “qualifying relatives” category. Basically, if you have income of more than $3,500 (and it sounds like you do), then your fiance would not be eligible to claim you as a dependent. You should file your own return, and claim your own personal exemption, and report your own deductions and tax credits. Your fiance would then need to file an amended tax return to make several corrections, including removing you as a dependent, removing the medical deductions, and recalculating his tax.

On a personal note, it would help to keep the lines of communication open about finances and taxes, especially since you are planning to get married and will need to cooperate on filing jointly. Even separate tax returns still require a degree of cooperation and sharing of information. I only mention this because I sometimes see that the first time couples talk about finances or taxes is when they are sitting in my office. When really the most beneficial tax strategies can be better implemented by going over your finances together and planning things out in advance.

February 25, 2009 at 11:26 am
(165) Sonia says:

I had a friend of mine prepare my taxes and he left them without any instructions. I mailed them and realzied I was suppose to sign them. Is there anything that can be done at this point? I am affraid that I won’t get a return period. Please advise.

February 25, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(166) Gee says:

On June 15, 2008, I took full legal custody of my niece because my brother was having issues (got court order in August). I have recieved no child support from him since taking her. When I efiled my tax return two weeks ago, I got a msg that the IRS did not accept the return because someone else had used my neice’s ssn on a return. Come to find out, my brother claimed her! I beleive that I am entitled to the deduction and have filed a paper return. My brother may or may not file an amended return – he wants to wait and see what happens. I am due about $6000 from the IRS – without my deduction for my neice, I am due about $3500. Will the IRS send me the $3500 while figuring out whether I am entitled to claim my neice or will they without my whole refund? Any idea how long something like this takes? I really am counting on this refund!

February 25, 2009 at 4:15 pm
(167) William Perez says:

Sonia, the IRS will mail you a letter saying that you forgot to sign the return. It will have a response form enclosed. Sign and date that and mail it back to the IRS, and then the IRS will finish processing your tax return and then send you the refund. Allow about 12 – 16 weeks for this whole process.

February 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm
(168) William Perez says:

Gee, nieces are considered “qualifying children” and the important thing to remember here is that they need to live with you for more than half the year. So if your niece lived with you only since June 15, then that’s not more than half the year, and the dad or mom might be able to claim the dependent. The IRS should release to you the uncontested amount of your refund, and hold the rest pending the outcome of their investigation. They will contact both parties: you and the other person who claimed your niece. They will then decide which person is entitled to the dependent, and adjust the tax returns accordingly. Allow several months for this process to resolve itself.

February 25, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(169) MD says:

My husband and I got married in 2008. He is a resident alien for tax purposes and I am a non resident alien. We filed a joint return choosing for me to be treated as a resident. We were supposed to attach to our tax return a statement signed by both of us in order to make that choice (Publ. 519), but we forgot about that and we already e-filed our return and it was accepted. How do we provide the IRS that statement if we e-filed? Do we have to file an amended return and attach the statement (even though none of the numbers would be different) or should we mail the statement only? What would happen if we do not provide such statement? None of us has any foreign source income nor we plan to benefit from a tax treaty with our home country.

February 25, 2009 at 9:20 pm
(170) taxes says:

MD, what I would do is send in Form 1040X. None of the numbers are going to change, so filling out that section of the form is just a matter of copying figures from your tax return. In the explanation section on page two, simply explain that you forgot to include your statement with the original return. And then mail this into the IRS.

I’m not sure what would happen if you didn’t do this. It’s possible that the IRS could deny your tax return and force your husband to re-state his tax calculations as a separate filer.

February 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm
(171) Kristan says:

I have been tracking my federal return online. At one point, the tracker said my return was accepted, and I would receive payment by Feb24. When I hadn’t received payment, I contacted the IRS hotline. I was told that a mistake was discovered, and it would be another 1-6 weeks before the IRS notifies me of the nature of the error. The online tracking now says my return is being processed. I checked over my return and discovered that I incorrectly took a deduction. This results in me having to pay $250, rather than receiving $1000. Do I need to file an amended return? Or, will the IRS simply reject my return? I haven’t received any money from them yet. Also, this was an honest mistake, will I be penalized for it?

February 26, 2009 at 9:07 am
(172) Gee says:

To William Perez: Thank you for your comment. I actually counted the days before taking her as an exemption – I had her for 200 days, more than half the year. I am glad to hear that you think I will at least get a portion of my refund while the IRS determines who is more qualified to take the deduction. Thanks, Again.

February 26, 2009 at 11:02 am
(173) JDLECM says:

I have a big problem. I filed my taxes in 07′ using Turbo Tax. That year for the first time ever I had $19125 in hospital bills. I entered this into Turbo Tax and went through my filing, received a return, etc. Now I have been contacted by the IRS aking me to provide reciepts on where I paid that bill?? I messed up because i entered in the amount that I incurred not that it was paid? How do I correct this now? Will the IRS allow me to pay out whatever tax liability that is due based on my error?

February 27, 2009 at 9:02 am
(174) Sam says:

My husband and I were separated for more than half of 2004 (now back together). I filed my taxes as head of household. I just learned that he never filed his return. (he says he thought I filed jointly) The IRS has requested that he file that return. The problem – if he files married filing separately, he will owe some $6000. Can I file an amended return for 2004 as married filing jointly? Will the statute of limitations come into play in any way? I know that we will still owe money on the 2004 return, but I think it will be les than the $6000. Thank you.

February 27, 2009 at 5:52 pm
(175) Ray says:

I forgot to deduct the mortgage interest in 2007 for my 2007 taxes, which form to I need to use to amend this? I have the 1098, but do not know where I need to put this on the form. Please help. Need step by step instructions.

March 1, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(176) gghun says:

I recieved a notice of intent to asses from massachusetts. I had alot of changes. they are KINDLY requesting my business expenses along with the Necessary w2 and 1099, EIC. I found a few mistakes. how do I correct them and what will they think about the mistakes?

March 1, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(177) LInda says:

My CPA made an mistake on my tax return and put wrong social security number on it…just noticed it today because I was wondering why I hadn’t received my tax return and it was to be a direct deposit. Should have had it last Friday. Does he have to send in an ammended tax return form?

March 3, 2009 at 4:53 pm
(178) John says:

I actually had the same problem as Brian. I think this mistake happened when hitting the “Do the Math” button on Free File. Not really sure why or how this happened, but the numbers got switched somehow and I didn’t notice until after I e-filed.

March 8, 2009 at 4:13 am
(179) rm says:

I forgot to report on 2007 income interest I received for a real estate loan I made to somebody.
Can I file an amendment? Where on the tax form I need to report the interest? Should I send some form to the person who made the payments, and in that case which form? Iím assuming that person should file an amendment as well.
Is this going to be a reason for an audit? Thank you in advance for your help!

March 9, 2009 at 11:18 am
(180) Roy says:

Bill, when I was still on consultancy and not yet a regular employee, my (now) employer sent my 1099 for payments made in 2007 to my old address and I never received it. I became a regular employee, was given a W-2 and filed my 2007 return properly — but based on the W-2 reported income because I simply forgot those payments I received in 2007 that are reflected in the 1099 that the IRS has a copy of. I am now being asked to pay back taxes + penalties totaling around $7000. How can I apply these circumstances (including the non-receipt of my 1099) to reduce back taxes I owe? Should I ask the IRS to reduce the penalties and interest at least? Thanks!

March 9, 2009 at 11:26 am
(181) Laura says:

I forgot to include the information on what I paid for college during the 2008 yaer. I’ve already recieved my refund. Can i ammend this to see if it adjusts the amount of my refund. if so, where do i get the forms needed to file an ammendment?

March 9, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(182) Kristen says:

My boyfriend and I live together and have a child together but are unmarried. I accidentally claimed our child on his return, however I made more money and would recieve the bigger refund (a few thousand dollars bigger). We recieved his refund check but have yet to cash it; can we send an amended return and pay them back the refund we recieved, so in turn I can claim our child and recieve the bigger refund we are owed?

March 13, 2009 at 3:21 pm
(183) Cathy says:

My husband and I are going to file an amendment for our taxes for 2007 and 2008. My husband’s ex-wife claimed their son as a dependent. The courts state my husband gets him as a tax excemption. How long does it take for the IRS to handle this and what is the procedure the IRS takes once we file this?

March 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(184) rafael says:

I received a notice from the IRS indicating that i failed to include a 1099 from my bank for $83 in interest for 2007. After reviewing my tax return for last year, i noticed that i never received that form from my bank. Now the IRS is saying that i owe over $3000. Can this be right? What can i do to have this charge dropped?

March 23, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(185) ja says:

Received an illegible W-2 from boss (who was out of town) and reprinted one using the forms on irs website, inputting all information exactly as the handwritten one given to me by my boss. Realized this year that I had printed out a 2008 W-2 form instead of a 2007 W-2 form and sent it with my 1040′s last year…How do I fix this problem? Who do I contact. Do not want to be penalized for filing my 2008 taxes twice (which I am definitely NOT doing…)

March 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm
(186) Cheryl says:

I’m just about to file amended returns for 2005, 2006, and 2007 (Federal and California state). I haven’t yet filed our 2008 tax returns.

Should I file the 2008 returns based on the information on the ORIGINAL 2007 return *or* the AMENDED 2007 return?


March 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm
(187) Jessica says:

My husband is military. In 2006-2007 he worked part time and made approx. 1200. I worked for part of 2008, makings about 2500. We have not claimed any of this. We recieve EIC, can I just claim it next year or are the amounts so small it will be ok.

April 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm
(188) Jo says:

I used a free efile company from the IRS site, and THEY made a mistake and neglected to put fill in the amount on Secedule C, Part 1, Number 1 gross receipts or sales. They filled in the expenses blanks, but made it look like a big negative loss. On Page 1 of the 1040, they had that negative number on line 12, but put the gross receipts number on line 21. What do I do now! I wasn’t able to print it out and catch it until they had already submitted it! Never use them again!

April 4, 2009 at 1:12 am
(189) JP says:

Hello, I e-filed my taxes online and I am not receiving any refund amount. I put down that my parents aren’t claiming me as a dependent so I took my own exemption. I just found out that my parents have claimed me on their tax return. I’m not required to file a return because I made less than $1000 and I didn’t have any federal income tax withheld. I’m 21 and was a full-time student last year but I lived on my own. What should I do? Do I need to file an amended return?

April 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm
(190) scott says:

I didn’t claim 15,000 in back payments that were made to me from a previous employer. I now have a 1099 and need to amend my return to include the additional income.

I have already received my refund from the IRS but have spent it and do not have the 2400 or so that I will owe the IRS.

Do I file an amended return? What are my payment options at this time?

Are there penalties and so on that I will have to pay, and if so are there ways around them?


April 7, 2009 at 12:58 pm
(191) Lyne says:

After i file my tax last week, I received my 1099Form which is not included in my income tax return for 2008 that I filed last week and also I just moved to a different address. My question is if I file a 1040x Amendment Form can I put my new address on that form? Please let me know.

April 7, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(192) act says:

I think my accountant made a mistake treating my HSA distributions on my 2008 taxes. She put my HSA distributions under Pensions & Annuities on the 1040 form instead of on Form 8889. She did include Form 8889 but neglected to put anything under line 14a. My tax bill should be the same because she claimed that the Pensions & Annuities amount was not taxable. Should I ammend the form even though my tax burden does not change? I did receive a 1099-SA for my HSA distributions which I assume will go to the IRS also. Will I now get audited? Thank you for your help!

April 7, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(193) William Perez says:

Lyne, yes you can use your new address on the 1040X. There’s even a box to check (line A) to let the IRS know that you moved.

Act, you should ask your accountant to fix this for you, free of charge of course. You might be selected for audit has there will be potentially a mismatch between the information on your return and the information received by the IRS.

April 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(194) Mike says:

My ex filed eic for our son, he has lived with me all year and she would like to file an amendment to correct this, we both used turbotax. What is the easiest method to do this?

April 7, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(195) William Perez says:

Mike, she will file her amendment to remove the dependent, remove the EIC, and possibly change her filing status. You will file claiming your son as a dependent and any related tax credits. Both tax returns (yours and her amendment) will need to be mailed in.

April 7, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(196) Mike says:

Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if she should fill out a 1040x or use turbo tax to amend? Also does she change federal and state? She’s being cooperative and I would like to make this easiest for her to do on her own. Thanks again

April 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm
(197) William Perez says:

She can use TurboTax to prepare the amended return, but it will still need to be printed out and mailed in. She should amend the state as well.

April 12, 2009 at 10:41 am
(198) Dave says:

I just noticed that I slightly mis-typed my street address on my electronically filed return for 2008. I’ll get my refund electronically, but, do I need to go through the added expense and time of filing a 1040x?

Also, I notice I am the only person in the entire Googalable universe asking this question – as well, at this very website. Kewl!

April 13, 2009 at 5:17 am
(199) Angelo says:

I filed my 2008 taxes and my fedral tax got approved by IRS but I forgot to mention a amount $23 from my 1099 DIV form. Do I need to file amendment tax or I can get away with it this year? Please help me. I filed it usin Tax Cut

April 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm
(200) Michelle says:

I forgot to sign my tax returns. From the other comments, I understand that I should receive a letter asking me to sign. Will I be penalized? Is there anything else that I can do to speed up the process?

April 14, 2009 at 11:35 pm
(201) Matthew says:

I have filed already but left out a rather large deduction (tuition fees), which will make the difference between me owing the IRS and me being due a refund. I am also waiting for a corrected W-2 from my employer, which means I can’t file the amendment until after April 15th (tomorrow). Since the IRS currently has me down as owing them, will they still penalize me for late payment? Once I send the amendment, it will show that I’m due a refund, so would they simply forget about the late payment penalty, since I don’t really owe them anything?

April 15, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(202) Shelby McNease says:

I have already done my taxes for 2008 and claimed my 19 yr old son as a dependent because he attends college. Looking thru some old mail I found this 1098-t form. He also worked last year and earned about $1500.00. Do he need to file and use the 1098-T form or should I have done that when I filed.

April 15, 2009 at 9:23 pm
(203) taxes says:

Shelby, since you claimed your son as a dependent, you can also claim any tuition paid for the tuition/fees deduction or the education tax credits. So you could amend your return to take this additional deduction or credit.

April 15, 2009 at 9:32 pm
(204) taxes says:

Matthew, you are quite correct in your understanding. Once you file your amending showing that really you have a refund instead of owing, the IRS will waive any penalties or interest. So what I would focus on is getting your documents, making sure the new tax returns and the amendment are complete.

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 pm
(205) Jeremy says:

Hi I received a K-1 today April 15th. I pulled all my funds out of the partnership in 2008. The only thing on the K-1 is field 19a which is the amount I had disbursed to me, there was no income pass through, ordinary or capital gains, therefore filling out my 1040 it does not change my tax liability. Do I need to send in the 1040X? thanks.

April 20, 2009 at 8:32 am
(206) Harry says:

I filed my federal and MD taxes and have already got a refund. I realized later, that I was a part time resident (10 months) and then left the country for good.
Do I need to file an amended return? Would it make any difference in the refund I got? Also, couple of years ago, I had left the country for buisness purpose for 4 months. Did I need to consider that as a part time resident in that year returns too?

April 21, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(207) Angelina says:

I filed substitute W-2 form and I used the info from last paystub(attached with my file). However my math wasn’t right and now that I have the W-2 send I see I didn’t add the tips to the wages(to make the total tips and wages sum).The tips are right, the s.s. wages are o.k..The taxes withheld are the same, the only mistake is my math (and luck of knowledge on taxes) .What shall I do?

April 22, 2009 at 12:08 pm
(208) Robert says:

Sorry, be careful if you find a mathmatical error and do not correct via an ammended return. They have a new penalty now called “a computational penalty”. I received one of these in addition to tax and interest. So,my advice is, if you find an error, correct it. Not sure where you got this advice.

April 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm
(209) Beth says:

I have been legally separated since June, 2006. I just found out that my spouse claimed he paid me alimony in 2007 and 2008. We do not have an order for alimony payments, just child support, of which he was behind until the last week in December 2008. I have not been contacted by the IRS. Should I contact them about this situation.

April 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(210) sharon says:

I filed amended return and need to file another one. Can I file more than 1 amended return for the same fisical year?

May 1, 2009 at 11:25 am
(211) sarah says:

This was my first year filing on my own. And it turns out that I messed up by putting that I wasn’t a dependent of anyone. But then my mom said that she put me as her dependent on her taxes and that I messed mine up. So how do i fix this? Do I need to re-file or can I just call someone?

May 11, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(212) katie says:

Hi, i did my own taxes this year and after filling it, i foudn out i forgot to put in my tuition fee from 2008 jan to april. i just recieved my tax refund today. i was wondering if i need to fix this problem. i know its stupid of me, but i dont really want to deal with taxes no more. i much rather just leave it as it is. will i get in trouble if i dont fix this problem? or can i file that tuition fee next year instead? but the bottem line is, i dont want to have to fix the problem, even if im not going to get as much money than i should be.

May 17, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(213) Andrea says:

I am very confused. I was told by my employer I could not claim tips on my taxes as they do not claim them for us. I now found out if I would have claimed my tips I would have received another $8000!!!!!!!Is there a way to go back and ammend this? From what I am told the employer will have
to pay taxes on this.

May 18, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(214) Kerry says:

My husband and I are being audited for 2007. In preparing for the audit I now see that there are errors on our 2008 tax return. Can I file an amended return for 2008 while my 2007 tax return is being audited?

May 20, 2009 at 11:22 am
(215) Condor says:

My son and I both attended college last year. I claimed him on my tax return along with my 1098(tuition). I forgot to include his 1098. Do I have to amend my return that I have already gotten or can I just wait and use the 1098 yet year and what are the affect either way I choose.

June 7, 2009 at 10:13 pm
(216) Craig says:

My brother just told me that he opened a custodial stock account for my 4 year old son when he was born. He also just told me that he sold some stock in 2007 and my son had capital gains of $2,900. I did not know about this and therefore did not report it. What do I need to do to correct this?

June 11, 2009 at 3:17 pm
(217) Una Lorenzen says:


Im filing a 1040x form and Im trying to figure out the adress to send it to. I am a student in California.

I did receive a letter from the IRS saying that any inquiry should be sent to Philadelphia, PA 19114-0226

Would that be the correct adress to send an amendment to?

June 13, 2009 at 9:29 pm
(218) taxes says:

Jeremy, the only thing that might change is if this distribution triggered a capital gain or loss on the partnership interest. Otherwise, if there’s no change, then there would be no need to fill out the amended return.

June 13, 2009 at 9:32 pm
(219) taxes says:

Harry, there would be no change in your federal return. For MD, you are considered a resident for tax purposes if you are in the state for more than 183 days. As such, I don’t think you would need to re-file as a part-year resident.

June 17, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(220) taxes says:

Una, if the IRS wants you to mail this to Philadelphia, then that’s where you should send it.

June 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(221) taxes says:

Angelina, it’s likely the IRS will correct this for you, but that may take some time (approximately 6 to 12 months). What I would do is prepare a new tax return, this time using your actual W2 and compare the figures to your old return. Do you get a larger refund? A smaller refund? If your refund is smaller using your actual data, this means you’ll need to pay back some of the refund money you received. If the refund is larger, then that means the IRS will send you the difference as an extra refund. I’d rather find out where you stand now instead of waiting for the IRS to act.

June 17, 2009 at 10:03 pm
(222) taxes says:

Beth, I would not contact the IRS until they contact you. In the meantime, keep all the documentation you have regarding the separation, child support, and alimony agreements. The reason I suggest not contacting the IRS is that if you do contact them, they will likely not know what do you with this additional information. So hang tight for now.

June 17, 2009 at 10:04 pm
(223) taxes says:

Sharon, yes you can file more than one amended return for the same year. This time you may want to consult with a tax professional just to double check that everything is accurate and complete.

June 17, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(224) taxes says:

Sarah, this is a common mistake to make. What I would do, is first look at the criteria for dependents. As a daughter you would fall into the Qualifying Child category. So review those rules. If you do qualify to be your mom’s dependent, then amend your tax return to remove your personal exemption and recalculate your tax. If you don’t qualify as a dependent, then your mom will need to amend to remove you as a dependent. Hope this helps.

June 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm
(225) tracilynne says:

on my last 5 years of returns i have been filling married when in actuality were not leagally married. i want to change it. what should i do?

June 18, 2009 at 6:16 pm
(226) William Perez says:

TraciLynne, both you and the person who is not your spouse (but with whom you have been filing a joint return) will need to file amended returns and change your filing status to single. Now I would strongly encourage you to consult with an experienced tax professional about this, either an enrolled agent, CPA or attorney, as these professionals can represent you before the IRS and the state tax agencies if any questions arise. Generally, the IRS will not allow you to switch from the married filing joint status after April 15 (the original filing deadline) unless you can prove that you were not married. Thus you will need to submit documentation that you were not married. You will recalculate your tax and determine if there’s additional tax you owe or additional refund you are due. If there’s additional tax, the IRS will assess penalties for not paying the tax by the filing deadline. Additionally the IRS may assess a special accuracy penalty of 20% if the IRS determines that you did not exercise due caution in following the tax regulations. Because of the seriousness of this issue, you would consult with a tax professional who will advise you on how to proceed with your amendments. Hope this helps.

William Perez

June 18, 2009 at 6:28 pm
(227) William Perez says:

katie, you don’t have to fix this if you don’t want to. But it could help you out. Tuition generates either a deduction or a tax credit. As a rough guess, you might be able to get 20% of your tuition as a refund. So it might make sense to correct your tax return. But if you don’t want to, that’s fine too. That tuition however cannot be added to next year’s return. Each year stands alone.

June 18, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(228) William Perez says:

Andrea, you always need to report your total income on your tax return. So what your employer said was not quite true. You should consult with an experience tax professional to help you figure out the tax calculations, since you’ll need to pay your half the Social Security and Medicare taxes. Your income tax refund might go up, as you said, but then it will be reduced by these other taxes that need to be paid in.

June 19, 2009 at 12:57 am
(229) William Perez says:

Kerry, yes you can file your 2008 amended while your 2007 return is under audit. Depending on the issues involved, you might even want to submit that through your IRS auditor, so as to preclude the possibiity of an audit on the 2008 return.

June 19, 2009 at 1:04 am
(230) William Perez says:

Condor, you should amend to claim his tuition on your 2008 return. You’ll get an additional refund that way. You won’t be able to roll that deduction over, so to speak, to next year.

June 19, 2009 at 1:11 am
(231) William Perez says:

Craig, your son should file his own tax return — of course you’ll be preparing this form him. Your son will have his own standard deduction, which is $900 in his case, so only $2,000 of the gain will be taxable. It will be taxable at your marginal tax rate, however. So if this is a long-term gain, this $2,000 of taxable income will be taxed at 5% or 15%, depending on which rate would apply if you had a long-term gain.

June 23, 2009 at 2:40 pm
(232) samy says:

I showed my capital gains on 2007 returns as 14000 but they were actually 8000. I realized it when I recieved a document from IRS asking for clarification of my capital gains. They calculated my capital gains with zero cost basis and were requesting 10000 USD. While creating the response to the letter, I realized that I owe 1000 USD from IRS. I have responded to IRS with this information and supporting documents. Do I need to file tax amendment to get the money back?

June 29, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(233) Jill says:

When I filed my 2008 taxes my divorce hadn’t gone through yet, so I used my married name. I just purchased a new home and now my name has changed back to my maiden name but I need to file an amendment for the first time homebuyers credit. I’m not sure how to do this, can I file for the amendment under my old last name since the home was purchased under my Maiden name?

June 29, 2009 at 8:12 pm
(234) taxes says:

Jill, have you changed your name with the Social Security Administration? That will need to be done before you can use that name on your tax return. Whichever name you end up using on the amended return, add statement in the explanation section that you are going back to your maiden name.

July 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(235) tom says:

I live with my siter and her daughter. I use neice as an disabled dep…graduated from high school with learning disability. IRS disallowed becasue she has not been determined disabled by social agency. I’m to recv a tax bill for abut $1300… My sister and I are buying a house together. She’s drawing SSI…can I file an amendment and claim my sister as a disabled dep? My income is twice the amount of hers.

July 3, 2009 at 1:24 pm
(236) William Perez says:

The IRS audited your return for the dependent and disallowed the dependent because there’s no doctor’s statement that she’s totally and permanently disabled, is that correct? Amending your return won’t help, as you will go through the same thing again, only this time with your sister. My suggestion is to appeal the original audit decision. The appeals officer will schedule a time to talk to you by phone. When you talk, you’ll be able to explain your situation and how you are taking care of both your sister and her daughter, and how one is on SSI and the other is not on SSI yet. The Appeals officer will ask a few questions, but that person will be in a position to resolve this tax question more quickly without you needed to go through the amended return process.

July 3, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(237) Jennifer says:

I filed joint with my husband for 2008, he qualified for the EIC (I think it’s called…) for two of my step-children who resides with us. But he has back pay child support for his eldest daughter who resides with her mother and the money from the EIC as well as my own tax refund were claimed by the child support agency. My husband had no income last year but because he’s the legal parent, does the child support enforcement agency still get to claim the EIC?

July 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm
(238) William Perez says:

Jennifer, You can retrieve some of your tax refund money by submitted an Injured Spouse claim using Form 8379. The refund money will be allocated between you and your husband, and only his portion of the refund will be sent off the child support agency, and the rest will be sent back to you. In the future, submit this form along with your tax return each year to ensure that your portion of the refund gets to you.

July 9, 2009 at 1:36 am
(239) Fernanda says:

In 2008 we moved from NYC to CA with the same employer. The change didn’t reflect in the payroll until 6 weeks later, and taxes where still withheld for NY altough we were now in CA. We filed an extension and now have the corrected W2 reflecting the actual amount that we earned on each state and the State Income tax corresponding to that corrected information. However, state income tax had already been withheld based on the “previously reported” amount. So, which one should I report in the 1040? The tax that we already paid to the state or the one that “should’ve” paid?

July 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(240) William Perez says:

Fernada, you’ll report the actual taxes withheld on your 1040 for the state income tax deduction and on your NY and CA returns, respectively, as payments. You’ll probably be filing as part-year residents in each state. Just be sure to keep on eye on how your tax software allocates the income between the two states. If you get stuck, it might be a good idea to consult with a tax accountant.

July 15, 2009 at 11:40 am
(241) Maricia says:

Hi, I bought my first home in Dec. 2008 and I filed my taxes (e-file) in Feb. 2009, at the time of filing the person doing the filing told me I was unable to qualify for the tax credit. I had my taxes re-done in June by a seperate company and mailed in an ammendment to recieve my credit. Is there a way I can find out how long it will take before I receive the money, and/or even if my ammendment has been received? Thank you.

July 15, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(242) William Perez says:

Maricia, it’s been taking the IRS approximately 6 to 8 weeks to process amended returns right now, and allow another week or so for the check to arrive in the mail. You can always call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to check on the status of your tax return or refund check.

July 17, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(243) LaKeisha says:

I filed my taxes this year through a tax preparation service. I really don’t know a whole lot about taxes but the preparer put head of household on my tax return and when I filed my husbands tax return online, I put head of household for him as well. I’m trying to do my financial aid for school, but because we both filed as head of household, I’m not able to proceed with my financial aid until I fix this problem. What do I need to do in order to resolve this issue and is it going to cause any serious problems for me and my husband?

July 17, 2009 at 5:34 pm
(244) William Perez says:

LaKeisha, it’s unclear just from your comment if you are both eligible for Head of Household status. In order for you both to qualify, you would need to have lived in separate residences for at least the last six months of the year, and you would both need to have dependents who are closely related to you (usually a child). Perhaps you both qualify as head of household, in which case there’s no tax problems to fix. Perhaps one or both of you don’t qualify for head of household, in which case you’ll need to determine what your proper filing status should be for 2008. I’m not sure why this would be a problem for financial aid purposes.

July 28, 2009 at 6:34 am
(245) Derek Gutenson says:

I made a mistake filing my return, the previous year I claimed myself, but this year I was a dependent to my father and forgot to alter the form.

Is there anything that can be done?

July 28, 2009 at 8:48 am
(246) Keith says:

Hi. I just discovered that I goofed when I entered personal info into Turbo Tax in 2006…..and it carried over into my 2007 and 2008 returns. I have listed both of my child dependants and their social security numbers. The problem is that I have the wrong number on the wrong child. Do you know if I need to ammend my returns or can I call the IRS tto straighten this out? Thank you very much!

August 6, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(247) Crissy says:

My husband filed the last joint return (2007) with his ex April before last through H & R block. H & R Block made a mistake by not adding it in and her employer did not take out enough. H & R Block agreed to pay the late fees and penalties, but she still owes 1300.00. Not only does she refuse to pay it, but she refuses to sign the ammended refund which cant be sent in without her signature, so what do we do? Is there another way to file it if she wont sign it as we don’t want to get into trouble as it was not our mistake it was h & r block and her employer, so how do we protect ourselves?

August 28, 2009 at 9:43 pm
(248) CLynn says:

My husband has a daughter with his ex-wife, and we claim her every other year. This has never been an issue before, but last year he was out of work and only I worked. Apparently it was checked she lived with us fulltime. We did not catch it & we got an EIC of $67. His exwife then filed her taxes, and tried to do EIC and it said we already had filed EIC/ she called and told us to expect a letter from the IRS. So, what will happen?

October 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm
(249) Norm778 says:

Hey! I have a question about capital gains. What if my grandmother gifted me some stock and instead of using carryover basis, I used fair market value when selling it to determine my gain. I reported a 2000 gain in 05, when I should have reported a 20000 gain. When does my statute of limitations expire for the 05 return? Where do I find this information? Thanks!!!

October 29, 2009 at 10:25 am
(250) Shan says:

My Ex husband and I own a house together. Initially we had agreed he could use the interest paid on his filing. He did not use it and has given me his ok to use it to refile. I have made the payments on the loan.

I plan to file an ammended return, however the 1098 only lists his name. Is this a problem? I can prove payment out of my account.

November 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm
(251) Pam says:

How do I correct incorrect W-2′s that were given to employees for the year 2007. The IRS discovered the error and sent me a form 941-X to fill out, but the error was only on the W-2 forms given to the emplpoyees and the W-3 transmittal we sent to the IRS. This was due to payroll be outsourced for the first month of 2007. When I created W-2′s I thought it did not include the first month payroll that was outsourced, so I created additional W-2′s for that month of income, when actually it was included in the original W-2′s so the employees incomes were overreported. How do I correct this and is it going to be a big disadvantage to the employees?

I hope I am making sense.

Thank you.

November 10, 2009 at 11:15 am
(252) fran says:

Can I file as qualifying widow if my spouse died in 2007 and I have a daugher that is 20 years old that is not in school and she earns $5350 in the year.The daughter lives with me and I pay all the support.

November 30, 2009 at 10:03 am
(253) VJJ says:

I am a disabled adult with one minor child and one in college. She is receiving financial aid in relation to my filing status. I receive help from my father, and this year he claimed my children as deductions, so they were claimed twice. What he do to make this right with the IRS? What forms, etc. does he need to send IRS, does he just file an amendment? It was not done to deceive, just a misunderstanding, I sincerely hope we can get it ammended without much trouble or issue. vee.jayjackson at yahoo.com

December 2, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(254) Suez says:

I sent our taxes in at the correct time and paid..no refund!
I just discovered, after receiving a letter from the IRS, that my son was listed as a dependent and he shouldn’t have been. I know my fault, I should have looked before I signed. How do I fix it? I think it needs the 1040X is that right? Can it wait and be done with my taxes this year? I’m assuming I have to pay more plus a penalty, will itmake much of a difference if I wait and have the tax people do it in February? Thanks

December 3, 2009 at 9:05 pm
(255) JC says:

I have filed an amended 2008 tax return, but I still keep getting a tax bill from the IRS. The amended return shows us getting a refund. The original 2008 return filed showed us owing and I had set up a payment plan with the IRS. What should I do at this point about the continuing bill they keep sending?

December 12, 2009 at 1:13 pm
(256) ERin says:

Hi William,

I was working with a tax provider to prepare my tax return for temporary work overseas and just noticed that the data I provided to them was incorrect (eg that I had mistakenly noted nearly two months where I stated I working outside the country when I was definitely working in the foreign country and should therefore be entitled to a tax credit for those days). I assume this kind of mistake would also entitle me to prepare an amended return. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

December 15, 2009 at 6:42 pm
(257) Edna says:

What can I do if my tax preparer did not file our taxes correctly and we now owe $1,050 to the IRS? Do we have to pay the fine or is the tax preparer at fault and has to pay?

December 15, 2009 at 8:59 pm
(258) William Perez says:

Generally I advise people to first identify the source of the problem. Was this tax bill generated by a W-2 or 1099 that wasn’t put on the return? The IRS will usually tell you which item(s) are causing the tax increase on their assessment notice (typically on a CP-2000 notice). Once you identify the source, then you can determine if you provided the tax preparer that that particular document. If so, then the preparer should offer to pick up the penalties and interest. Some preparers will also pick up the tax if the mistake was theirs. That being said, you’re always on the hook personally for monies owed to the IRS. An ethical tax preparer should be willing to fix his or her own errors.

December 16, 2009 at 11:25 am
(259) Steph1978 says:

While e-filing our 2008 taxes I had entered my birthdate wrong. Do I need to file an amendment or just mail in the original tax form alone. The IRS rejected the e-file due to the mistake.

December 18, 2009 at 8:29 pm
(260) Kitty Montel says:

Question: just received a 2005 1099 today, and its Dec 2009. What do I do with it? Amend the 2005 tax return?

December 30, 2009 at 12:40 am
(261) Allen says:

I just received a notice that I had a fair amount of 1099 income for 2008 that I didn’t report, and thus owe additional taxes. I hadn’t written off all my business expenses since it showed I owed no tax. Can I ammend both my income and expenses from 2008 since I have enough additional unlisted expenses to still owe no tax??

December 30, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(262) William Perez says:

Allen, yes you should amend your 2008 tax return to report both the additional income and the additional expenses. For future reference, these problems can be avoided in two different ways. Keep track of all your self-employment income and expenses (for example, by using a spreadsheet or a financial software program), and report all your income on the tax return even if you don’t get a corresponding 1099 from your clients. Also, had you claimed all your expenses originally, that would have produced a loss on your original return, and so when the IRS adds in the additional income, you would still have been left with no additional tax due. So either of these tactics would have helped to mitigate the hassle of filing an amended return.

January 4, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(263) Vicki says:

Hi. I just received a “Corrected” 2008 1098-E from SallieMae (student loan lender). This is the same exact form I received last year in order to file my 2008 taxes. The only difference is a decrease of about $555 in student loan interest received by lender. The lender made a mistake last year and must have done an audit and realized this and now is sending me the same exact 1098-E with a “corrected” amount. This is the lenders fault.. but what is the correct process that I need to go through to correct this with the IRS now? I am very confused. I usually do my taxes electronically myself- is there an option on the 2010 program to make this adjustment or is it a more rigorous process? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much.

January 5, 2010 at 5:05 am
(264) Danielle says:

I have been unemployed since July of 2009. I efiled my taxes using my last pay check stub. I am not recieving unemployment. I did not fill in box 14 with the CASDI amount withheld on tne 1040ez form. I have also made $260 with a company I occasionally do demos for. What should I do? Is it going toeffect me. I am supposed to get a refund so far.

January 5, 2010 at 7:26 am
(265) William Perez says:

Danielle, it is too early to e-file your 2009 tax return. The IRS won’t begin accept e-filed returns until at least January 15th. So you still have plenty of time to revise any figures on your tax return before you send it off to the IRS. Also, the CASDI amount refers to withholding for the California state disability insurance fund. This amount generally does not impact your federal or state returns.

January 10, 2010 at 1:25 am
(266) Lacey says:

I did my taxes with my last paycheck stub. Is it just like your W-2? There was not cafeteria type plan or insurance or any kind of 401k taken out. It was just strickly my paycheck.

January 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm
(267) Todd R says:

My girlfriend was working at this job for 2 months then she got layed off and she now has has unemployment for 8 months and when she went and got her w2 from her boss he made a typo error and added another 0 to her year income, so instead of 1,200 she made now it showed she made 12,000 this year but her bills are pileing up and she went and did the rapid refund and they said she will get a 5,000 check in like 5 days, so will the IRS find out before she can cash the check and also how long will it before they catch it and will they make her do jail time or pay it back with intrest and will they let her pay it back monthly? Thanks

January 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm
(268) Rae says:

What happens if I put the wrong FEIN for my employer on my return?

January 16, 2010 at 4:03 pm
(269) Lori says:

In doing my 2009 taxes, I realized that I made some major mistakes on my 2008 return (I have NO idea how) on both income and tax entries. I just carefully redid the return, and despite my mistakes, the amount of the refund I was due was within $14 of the one I actually got. Do I need to file an amended return, and if yes, how do I do that? Thank you so much! Lori

January 24, 2010 at 1:02 am
(270) Sharon says:

I am helping friend do her taxes. She got her 1098-T for 2008 after she had received her refund. Can she use it on her 2009 taxes or does she need to do an amendment?

January 24, 2010 at 6:07 pm
(271) Rye says:

I already e-filed my return, and realized that I entered the wrong amount for my AGI. I happened to enter 2000.00 more than what it actually is. I am getting a refund, will I still get the refund or will the IRS hold it until I correct it?

January 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm
(272) Amanda says:

My employer expressed to me verbally that my hourly rate was $10.00 however he will pay me in cash each and that after taxes it would work out to $8.00. Now looking at my w2 its reports that I am being paid less than $8.00 hourly. Should my gross pay yearly reflect my total income earn before tax on the W2? I am very confused and something tells me all this is fishy am I correct?

January 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm
(273) Mike says:

I just realized that I forgot to deduct my mortgage PMI from 2008, can I just add that to the 2009 total or do I have to do an amended return?

January 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm
(274) Erin says:

I recieved a 1099-SA from my HSA after I had already e-filed my 2009 returns and it had been accepted. The numbers do not change because it is health care expenses, but should I file a 1040x so as to not raise any red flags?

January 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm
(275) William Perez says:


January 31, 2010 at 2:05 am
(276) Amy S says:

If I completed my form 1040 and attached it to my WI form to efile, which I did, but then noticed I made an error on the 1040; not yet filed, do I need to file an amended state return so they have the correct 1040 deductions on file? I reviewed my state return and double checked that I did not make the same error on my state, just my unfiled federal.

January 31, 2010 at 2:09 am
(277) Amy says:

Hopefully this doesn’t post twice–I made an error on my federal 1040 deductions, which I haven’t filed–but I did attach it to my WI revenue Form 1 that was filed. The deductions on the form 1 are correct, but would I need to file an amended return because I changed something on my 1040.

January 31, 2010 at 11:32 am
(278) Taryn says:

I already filed my 2009 taxes and expect to receive my refund direct deposited this week. I just received a statement of interest in the mail from apartment security deposit. The interest earned is only $17. Will I incur any fees for filing an amended return?

February 1, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(279) tmtmtl says:

I filed my 2008 with H and R tax cut software. When I went to do ny taxes this year I notices that there was a midwest diaster credit that I did not know about, it came in an update. How and can I file an amdendment with this software or do I have to take it to a professional.

February 2, 2010 at 11:39 am
(280) kai says:

last year when i did my taxes i read the alimony section wrong and input the child support that i recieved for my children in the income section. Should I fix it or just leave it alone, and what form do I need to use to fix it?

February 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm
(281) Michelle crite says:

my husband prepared our taxes and mistakingly put the wrong type of account not the account or routing numbers. Can I call the IRS and have them resend the information?

February 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm
(282) teetee says:

does it matter what filing status you do? say for instance you pay all the bills and household items can i file head of household or married jointly and by the way he has no income.? will there be special causes for me to do so.we’ve been married for bout 6 yrs and nevered filed together but he’s never had income,been separted for half a year.

February 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(283) Me says:

If I filed my taxes and I forgot to claim other W2′s and I will owe, will I be able to make a payments or will the IRS make me pay all at once?


February 6, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(284) verosan says:

My friend has a TIN but her W2 has a different SSN listed instead of her TIN
When she files her taxes should she attach her W2 even though it does not mat her TIN?
What should I tell her?

February 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm
(285) Dijah says:

I mailed in my tax returns and I think I forgot to sign and date the forms. Should I resend them or wait to be contacted?

February 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(286) shawn says:

i filed taxes using an online preparer- i made a mistake on a birthday – i called the IRS and they say that my refund is being processed- do i need to fix the wrong Birthdate ? is this going to hold up return?

February 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(287) Desiree says:

I filed my tax return and it was accepted. I then noticed on one of my 1099s it put down the wrong ID # and amount earned (I actually put more than I earned). Even though it was accepted, do I still need to correct it or wait for the IRS to contact me? Thanks for the help!

February 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(288) jame says:

Hi- I filed my taxes and had them accepted. About a week later, I received a 1098 form with school tuition on it. I completely forgot about it, and now i need to file an amendment. I know it needs to be form 1040x, my problem is, I have no idea where on the form to put it or how to claim it. It should give me a return, but I dont know how to claim it. Thank you.

February 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(289) Lucy says:

I paid property taxes in 2010 that were due in 2006 but because of an ongoing litigation I did pay it in 2006. Now that I have paid it, can I file an amended return.

February 10, 2010 at 12:24 am
(290) Sandra says:

I just e-filed my 2009 tax return two days. The IRS has already accepted it. But I just realized now that I made an error in calculating the rent received on my rental property. Do I file the amended return immediately, or wait until I get the original tax refund first? Additionally, I have yet to file my Virginia State taxes, should I include the federal forms that I filed or send a corrected version along with my state tax forms.


February 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(291) Linda Sears says:

My granddaughter lives with us and we claimed her on our taxes. She works also, on the 1040ez form, can she still deduct some from her moneys. It says on there how much is being claimed on her. What do we put there?

February 16, 2010 at 1:20 am
(292) crystal says:

ok i don’t ever look at my returns i just sign and were talking all though them well me and my sister was cleaning up the apt getting rid of junk and going thought drawers getting rid of old papers she dumped my tax papers all over the floor and she was picking them up and noticed on my dependent they have daughter not niece i claimed her last three yrs(cause i’ve paided out of my paycheck every two weeks since she’s been born for diapers,bottles,bips,toys she wants,clothes,additonal food,wipes and over half my tax return goes to her and what she needs)i’ve already got my taxes back can i wait til next year to change it,i’m scared to death i don’t want in trouble.

February 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(293) William Perez says:

Crystal, please get in the habit of reviewing your tax return papers with your tax professional or as printed out by your software. When you sign the return you are signing to that the information printed on those forms are accurate. That being said this might not be a substantial problem. At the very least make sure the relationship designation is correct on your next return. Secondly, talk to your tax professional if changing the dependent to niece will impact any of the calculations on your return.

February 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(294) Patrick says:

Crystal, I think you need to file an amended comment. Yours was almost unintelligible.

February 17, 2010 at 12:29 am
(295) keith says:

I have the same problem as Crystal. I went to a tax preparer and they filed for me. I didn’t sign anything until my check came in, and I signed, and left. I took the check to the bank, deposited, and noticed the error on the return while I was sitting at the bank. The preparer put my dependent (half-sister) as my real sister. I already looked up on the irs.gov and half sister is an eligible dependent for the credit I claimed. (Earned Income Credit) Do I need to fix this or let the IRS do it?? I don’t want them coming after me for it, I already called the preparer and he said it was too late. He said they would come after him before they come after me. What do I do? I don’t figure the calculations or math would/should be different, just the relationship of the dependent.

February 17, 2010 at 12:34 am
(296) William Perez says:

Keith, step-sisters are treated the same in the tax laws as full-sisters. So there should not be any changes to your calculations. As with my advice to Crystal, I suggest changing the designation of the dependent on the next tax return you file. And remember to review the tax returns you get back from your preparer. It’s easy enough to make mistakes, especially when we preparers get into the habit of simply rolling over the information from a previous year and not really double checking it. Having two pairs of eyes (the client’s and the preparer’s) look over the forms is most helpful.

February 17, 2010 at 8:24 am
(297) donna says:

I accidently claimed wrong child on my taxes, so ex husband and I both claimed same, What do I do to change this? Do I have to redo last years? and should I not do this year until I get last years straightened up? HELP PLease!

February 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm
(298) Ashley says:

Well, i just found out my husband filed the wrong status LAST year 2008 taxes. He for some reason filed Head of household, which he should of filed married jointly. We were married, and no i was not working and im 100% positive THATS what he should of filed. What on earth do we do now?! No thanks to a fire we had we have NO tax documents prior to any year we filed. It was a very simple return we did, no itemizing and 3 kids. Not sure where to go from here?!

February 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(299) Megahn says:

I’m still kinda new to doing taxes, and this year I made a mistake. I just got my refund, but when they asked if anyone else could claim me I didn’t answer it. I was suppose to say yes on it, and now I don’t know what to do. I did it all online.

February 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm
(300) ks says:

I filed my taxes and I submitted the wrong routing number and the bank sent it back to the irs. how long will it take them to send a paper check? and am i able to change my filing status and will it take longer to receive my check?

February 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm
(301) Melissa says:

My husband and I e-filed and I used what I thought was a “corrected” W-2. (My employer made a mistake on the original W-2 and sent me a corrected one). I was just informed it wasn’t actually a W2-C, but just a replacement W-2–they caught the error before sending the IRS their copies. The return has been accepted, and nothing else would change other than I shouldn’t have checked the box saying that it was a corrected W-2. Do I need to send in an amended return?

February 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm
(302) Kim Ladner says:

I just realized that my 17yr. old daughter did her taxes on her own and did not check the box that says can someone else claim you as a dependant. Now when I am trying to file my taxes it keeps getting rejected because she claimed herself. She is 17yrs. old and lives with me but did not know her and some of her teenage friends all did their taxes together on some free website. How do I fix this so I can file my taxes.

February 19, 2010 at 2:35 am
(303) kmb29 says:

what should i do if i used to wrong W2 form (i used last years like an idiot) to file my taxes? What will happen, and how can i fix it. I’m scared lol…HELP!

February 19, 2010 at 10:14 am
(304) Cassie says:

When I went in to have my taxes prepared the lady asked me if this was my first year doing this on my own. I said yes because my stepmom filed mine last year. Well my stepmom did it last year online and I never got anything printed out or any paperwork. I dont remember what I got back last year at all. I couldnt even guess. Well this year the lady didnt put in how much I got back last year because she took it as this was my first time doing them ever. Well I didnt realize this til it was done and I was home. What do I do now? Do I call back and ask to redo it or can I claim them next year?

February 19, 2010 at 2:57 pm
(305) Steve says:

The IRA operators are now saying it takes 16 weeks to porcess and amendment. Just FYI

February 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm
(306) Tina says:

I filed my taxes and counted all business income. However, after we filed, a business we had done work for sent us a 1099 Misc for $2400. Although we already claimed that income in our gross business income total, do I need to file an amended return to reflect the separation of income ($2400 as 1099 MISC and the remaining balance as gross sales)? Either way the total dollar amount is still going to be the same.

February 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(307) agomezcmc says:

i somehow forgot to file my 2006 tax return and my ex husband informed me that he claimed one of my daughters and he wasn’t supposed to. How do I claim both of my daughters and make him pay the penalty? He didn’t have any permission from me and I am the custodial parent.

Thank you for your help!

February 23, 2010 at 1:48 am
(308) ram says:

Thank you for the great service.

My question is about signing the form. Me and my spose are Resident aliens. My spose lives overseas and works there. She was not in the USA whole 2009.
Can I file taxes (1040) as ‘Married filing jointly’ ? Can I sign the form on her behalf? Is it allowed? She may not come to USA before April 15 2010.

February 23, 2010 at 2:52 am
(309) William Perez says:

RAM, since both you and your spouse are US resident aliens, you can either file a joint tax return or you can file two separate tax returns. Your spouse will need to sign. You cannot sign for your spouse. You can always request an extension, which will provide you with an extra six months to sign and file your tax return.

February 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm
(310) Irishmeatball says:

Hello, i forgot to claim my child’s summer camp expenses when we paid over 500.00 for the summer. we just filed a week ago, is there anything i can do to send this in to see if we would get more on our tax return?? any help would be great. thanks.


February 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(311) ram says:

Thanks for the response William. I appreciate it.

Your answer led to another question-
What should one do if spouse refused to sign the form (assume she refused to file taxes as well) for whatever reason? They are still married.
Should husband file taxes with a status ‘married but filing separately’ because he cant get wife’s sign?
Perm Resident alien looses Green card if taxes are not file. What should husband do now?

February 27, 2010 at 5:31 pm
(312) Ti Bate says:

Every year I always gather all information of incomes and deductions of people in my big family (sister, brothers, nephew, parents) to a CPA to prepare their tax returns. The CPA made me sign in an “engagement letter” representing for everybody in my family. Does it mean I have to be responsible for all of their returns ? Thanks a lot for any answer.

March 1, 2010 at 11:17 am
(313) Jason says:

I worked for a short time as an independent contractor for a small shop running their business office and the owner never asked for any of my information other than my name or address. I filed my taxes and claimed the income as self-employment income because I had not heard anything from the owner regarding a 1099. After I filed and received my refund I received a 1099 with no information other than my name, an amount, and the companies EIN, but the amount is wrong. The 1099 sent is showing 11600 in income while my records show 2300. I know I need to amend to avoid a penalty for under-reporting, but how do I correct this amount. The owner of the business refuses to return my calls and as I have moved out of state I am unable to visit the business in person. What forms are necessary for this to be corrected?

March 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm
(314) Wealthy says:

Jason, form 1040X is for the amended return. THe reason your ex boss claimed he paid you more than he actually did was that he can be able to deduct more, it will lower his tax. If you have all records to prove your income (of $2300), then sit still and do nothing. The IRS after finding out the discrepancy will contact and require you to show evident of your income of 2300 instead of 11600. Good luck.

March 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
(315) Georgia says:

i completed my return and mailed it.. i think I did not include the completed form 5405 and earned income credit form. should i mail them seperately>

March 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(316) LoriT says:

Hi- I just realized that our tax preparer didn’t put the amount we paid to our HSA in 2008 or 2007 on line 25 of 1040, nor complete form 8889. Husband was SE as Realtor and she does taxes for many in that industry. I would rather not have to go back to her at this point. I feel she likely did the Sched. C right, can I make corrections to only the HSA/8889 portion myself or would I have to have her do it since she signed the original return? I double checked that she didn’t accidentally put as unreimbursed med. expenses on Sch. A- that is OK. Thanks for any direction you can provide!

March 3, 2010 at 12:24 am
(317) Nania says:

A friend did my tax refund and made a mistake on my child social security number. Unfortunately, I’ve already mail the paperwork. How do I correct such mistakes for both refunds. Also, is there a way of making sure that my child is not being used by somebody else as a dependent?
Thank you

March 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm
(318) Genena gillette says:

The tax prepares i used were only suppose to give me an estimate, but submitted my tax return to be processed. I have unemployment and income of 3000
i need to report. How can i get this fixed?

March 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm
(319) Jessica says:

I was looking over my fiance past taxes there was a wrong social security number put on his taxes for 2006 should we fix it and if you made 12,999 in the year and you have been always elgible for the earned income tax credit should you get that year also if you filed single.

March 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(320) Sally says:

I lived in MN all year. I was having my mail sent to my mothers address in WI until my permanent house was done. When I received my W2 I noticed they took out taxes for a few months for WI. and the rest in MN. I suppose they assumed I lived in WI. It stopped when I gave them my new address in MN. Now what do I do? Do I file in WI? The income earned in WI should really be in MN. and the taxes taken out should be MN not WI. Will I need to file differnt in MN? Also what about the recciprocity between WI and MN.

March 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm
(321) Amy says:

I filed 2009 taxes and did not preview before submitting, and error occured and my partners info was not saved as my dependent. I am now being audited and have to prove my stepchildren are my dependents; I’m assuming this has happened due to the children’s social security numbers being linked to their mother’s. We are RDP in CA. and she has not worked due to illness in over 2 years; I am the sole support of our family and made 23,000 last year (we do not receive any government assistance) and this is the 2nd year I have claimed (or attempted to claim) both the children and my partner. My question is should I amend the return now and claim her as my dependent prior to sending in information the IRS is requesting? Or send it all together?

March 5, 2010 at 11:02 am
(322) Marisa says:

I’m in a Domestic Partnership in the state of California. I was told I needed to file a married return with the state which I did, however since my DP is registered with the County of LA and not the State of CA I wasn’t supposed to! I’ve spent a lot of time attempting to amend it from Married/Joint to Single but am unable to do it correctly (I know this because when I do it’s either not asking me to pay back all of the money I was overpaid on the first return or its asking me to pay back more than I got on my first return while still saying that part of that money is my refund). I’m not exactly sure what to do here. Help!

March 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(323) Steve Garza says:

Ok this is gonna sound silly but I work as a part time host at Denny’s and i got my w2 and box 1 had my wages, tips, other comp. and box 8 had my allocated tips which. I did my federal income tax and got my income tax refund. However, I just got a revised w2 from my employer and my box 8 is empty now, so I got the revised w2 now. What do I do now? I mean, it was only $21 in box 8 in the old w2. Does it really matter?

March 10, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(324) heather says:

i forgot to add my property taxes to my federal return that wasalready submitted, i am going to amend but where do i put this part at?

March 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(325) Danielle says:

I forgot to send in my addidtional child tax credit with my federal return. I have already received my refund. Do I have to do an addendum and resubmit a hole new 1040 just for the additional child credit? And if I do that, will the IRS know that I’ve receive the majority of my refund and am only looking for this credit?

March 16, 2010 at 12:40 am
(326) Pat says:

I put in the wrong general sales tax for the local sales tax. I put 9.5 and it was supposed to be 9.3. Do I have to re-submit a 1040x to correct that?

March 16, 2010 at 8:41 am
(327) nan says:

In 2007 my automatic download from Edward Jones did not post to Turbo Tax. I then filed and basically did not check this. So in 2009 I had to pay the penaltys and tax owed on those investments…..

My 2008 taxes had been accepted April 19, 2009.

I completed my 2009 taxes and filed them

Do I need to go back and redo all my taxes from 2007, 2008 and 2009 or
am I ok?

March 16, 2010 at 10:11 am
(328) Cathy says:

Do i need to file an amendment if I did not send in a K-1 form…I have no capital gains..so it should not effect my refund. Can I carry over losses on gains I may have next year?

March 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm
(329) Judy Williamson says:

I have already filed my 2009 tax return and gotten my check, I have a w-2 form from my job that i have gotten in 2008. It was only $800 dollars. Do I need to file an amend on that or do i need to not file it.

March 22, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(330) Michelle says:

Do I need to ammend my return if I found that my street adress was printed wrong (only one # off)? it is going to be direct deposited…

March 23, 2010 at 1:34 am
(331) William Perez says:

Michelle you could file a Change of Address form and write a note indicating that the address on your tax return was slightly incorrect.

March 24, 2010 at 3:57 am
(332) Debbie says:

I just realized that I had a credit put on the wrong line (I typed $550 for a first time homeowner credit, by mistake, instead of the correct line that’s for “make work pay” credit). I did include the form for the make work pay credit “schedule M”. Should I be worried or do you think they’ll catch the mistake and correct it? Thank you

March 25, 2010 at 9:42 am
(333) Angelica says:

I flied my 2008 taxes I apparently did not included a 1099 that i was unaware of and have received a bill from the IRS what do I do?

March 26, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(334) jessica says:

hi id like to ask if it is possible to re-file my tax last 2006 and 2007 since i filed it in guam and got my refund but the thingis i find an error and i dont believe that their calculation is right.and when i ask the guam if they used the same here in mainland.they said Guam Irs mirrors mainland IRs.and i fine my refund is way too small when i filed my 2007 here in mainland which i have same job and also my husband same kids.

what do i do????

March 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(335) maumau says:

I foreclosed my main home in Jan 2009. The house was finally sold as Short Sale for half of the price I purchased, the short sales were authorized by my two different lenders. I did not receive any Form 1099A for the sale of the home. I only received two Form 1099C from both First and Second Mortgagees. Information on Forms 1099C, both have info in Boxes #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 as “Yes” and # 7 has 00 for Fair Market Value . I was unemployed all of 2009 and had no income from any kind, not even unemployment compensation. I did the Insolvent Worksheet and I am in Insolvency. Please advise me what to do. If I file Form 982, can the insolvency cover the debt canceled (total over $375,000.) when the exclusion Sect 121 is only for $250,000. for Single Filing Status?
Thank you very much for your help. Maumau

March 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(336) Deb says:

I forgot to include a w2 and related tax information when i file the w-3. Can I just issue the one w-2 and a new W-3 for the same EIN or do I have to amend the original W3?

March 30, 2010 at 10:09 am
(337) CJ says:

Is there a dollar limit threshold for filing ammended tax returns? When I filed my 2009 returns, I realized I had been making a mistake in my itemized deductions for the past 3 years. This affects my 2006, 2007 and 2008 tax filings, but the bottom-line impact is only about $8 additional tax owed for each of the 3 years. Does the IRS really want to process the paper work for such a small amount? Also, if I do file ammended returns for these 3 years, how do I calculate the interest & penalties for the mistake?

April 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(338) randy says:

I filled out my 2006 taxes last night.. Yeah I know. A little last but I long as i did not owe it doesnt matter. MY POINT……Everything was correct, but after i stuck it in the mail i realized i forgot to include the w2′s. Does it really matter since the IRS has full access to my records and can pull them up, Or should I refile with w2′s?

April 5, 2010 at 6:48 am
(339) sandy says:

Hi William,
I have similar question as CJ. I found that in my last year’s (Filed April 15th, 2009)tax return, I missed out adding $8.31(stock dividend sale) which was reported in 1099-B.
Does it make sense to file an amendment for smaller dollar amounts also? Is there a threshold below which it does not make sense to file an amendment?
Thanks much for this service you are doing..

April 5, 2010 at 8:11 pm
(340) Emma Manogue says:

I filed my 09 taxes but forgot to include a 1098 – mortgage interest form. Do i need to amend my state tax return, will it change based on the amendment to federal?

April 6, 2010 at 3:53 am
(341) Kim says:

I efiled my taxes with Turbo tax for the first time and my returns were accepted. My husband and I are separated and I have income that only totals 3083.00. (I included alimony with that). I used the wrong number for alimony on my taxes that I efiled last night (the number was too high) and I am wondering if I should make an amendment to correct the mistake. Should I amend my return if I over reported the amount of alimony that I got, even if it doesn’t change my refund amount at all? Are tax documents looked at during divorce proceedings? Also, my husband used a larger number that what I have for alimony- do I need to worry about this? What chance to I have of being audited? Thanks– this is the first year that I’ve done my taxes on my own.

April 6, 2010 at 10:49 am
(342) Hick says:

I filled out my W2 online using H&R Block and unfortunately wanted to take the standard deduction and not the itemized one. I could not find the needed receipts for the items, sadly I did not go back and remove the Deducted items and check that I wished to the standard deduction. The W2 was submitted incorrectly submitted with Itemized Deduction and not the Standard, how should I correct this? The difference is around 100 dollars, should I resubmit after hearing back from the IRS?

April 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(343) Balulie says:

Hi. My accountant had photo-copier trouble and delivered my tax return to me with copied schedules attached that are in many cases almost (but not quite) illegible. Will the IRS reject the filing? Will I be penalized for filing poor quality copied paperwork? Thanks!

April 13, 2010 at 11:34 pm
(344) William Perez says:

Your accountant should provide you with clear, legible tax returns. Don’t file barely readable tax returns, as the IRS computers and human transcribers will not be able to process them and will send them back to you.

April 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm
(345) David K says:

I e-filed my federal return and shortly after (Same day) realized that I forgot some deductions. My E-file has not yet been accepted or rejected. What should I do now? 1: submit it as an ammended return, 2 simply e-file again now. 3, wait to see if they reject it and then refile? 4… something else? Note that since I e-filed on april 13′th if I wait to see if they accept/reject before resubmitting then I may be submitting the corrections after April 15th.

April 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm
(346) William Perez says:

What to see if your return is rejected. If it is, then revise your tax return accordingly and re-file it. If your return goes through (“accepted”) then file an amended return.

April 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm
(347) wendy says:

i had filed my 2009 tax return, then had amended it once to add a deduction i had forgotten, i now realized that i did not claim 1500 dollars of “other income” and need to do another amendment. my amended taxes were done thru h and r block, and i still havent sent it in, can i just put the 1099 form in with my amendment and let the irs figure out what i still owe?

April 13, 2010 at 11:32 pm
(348) William Perez says:

Don’t send in the amendent. Have your preparer re-do the amendment to include the additional income. And then send it in.

April 13, 2010 at 6:52 pm
(349) wendy says:

i realized while doing my taxes this year, that i did not claim my child care on last years return. i read that i can still claim credits and deductions up to 3 yrs later, however i do not know if i have the receipts for this amt i had payed. if the child care provider did claim the income she received from me, and i give her ssn in my ammendment as her tax id, will i be able to claim it with out the receipts? i can figure out the amnt in which i payed. or at least close to it.

April 13, 2010 at 11:31 pm
(350) William Perez says:

You can take the child care tax credit. Just be sure to have some sort of receipts or other proof of payment, in case the IRS asks to see them.

April 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm
(351) Tirzah says:

I have a question and have received different answers. My brother is trying to close on a home and they are looking for processed 2009 returns. The problem is…he mailed his returns 2 weeks ago…can’t he just efile another return…i am being told that when irs gets the others in the mail…they will be discarded…
Is this correct??

April 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm
(352) William Perez says:

Don’t send in duplicate tax returns to the IRS. This causes un-necessary work for the government, and it won’t solve your problem with the bank. The bank wants proof it seems that he filed his taxes. The bank will be able to obtain that proof directly from the IRS about three to four months after the return is filed. (This would be true even of e-filed returns.) He can provide a copy of his tax return to the bank. But that’s about it.

April 14, 2010 at 9:31 am
(353) Amanda says:

My husband has a pending audit for the 2006 tax year. We just filed for 2009 with a joint return and have received no word about the audit. Will our refund be delayed due to the audit from 2006? Also, we were not married in 2006. If he owes any money, will the IRS take our joint return?

April 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(354) William Perez says:

The audit is not finished, so there is (as yet) no money owed to the government for 2006. Thus there is nothing for the IRS to intercept from your refund.

April 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm
(355) Shaji says:

I have filed my 2009 federal returns. I owe money to Federal and I have decided to pay the full amount. When I made the payment (as direct debit from my bank account) , IRS withdraw only $500 from my account. Now the payment for the rest of the amonut is by 04/15/2010.. its very close. Is there way I can make this payment online.

April 14, 2010 at 1:30 pm
(356) Jazz says:

I e-filed my taxes through turbo taxes and forgot to include wages from my 1099 Misc what do I do. I have not received my refund back yet but do not want to file any wrong information.

April 14, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(357) Naima says:

I just filed my taxes online and they were accepted. Then, preemptively, of course, I paid to amend my taxes for a mistake that I didn’t actually make. Does this mean that my taxes were not longer e-filed or that they have been deleted? I concerned because the site I used says that they haven’t been e-filed, even though they’ve already been accepted. An amendment is only complete when I mail in the forms and if I don’t my taxes won’t be amended, correct? First time doing my taxes myself and I’m sort of panicked.

April 14, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(358) William Perez says:

Amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that’s why the software is telling you to mail in the forms. The original return was accepted.

April 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm
(359) Sammy says:

My employer wants to charge me 60$ to correct my W2, for an incorrect social security number. I already contacted the IRS to report the problem. But my question is..Is this Legal? Can they do this?

April 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(360) BobM says:

I Efiled my 2010 tax return and when I started working on my state return I realized that $20,000 I had gotten in tax options was already included in my W-2. I had filled out a schedule D showing the short term gain so it showed as additional income. Now I realize I have overstated my income by $20,000. How do I correct this and where do I show this gain since if I show it on schedule D is shows up twice.

April 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(361) William Perez says:

Submit an amended return. Your stock options are reported twice, once on the Schedule D as sales of stock and on your W2 as part of your wage income. Your stock option administrator should have provided you with a report to help you report everything. In a nutshell, your cost basis in the stock option is the price you actually paid for the option plus the amount of gain that is added to your W2 as wage income plus any commissions or fees for selling the stock. That’s the short version of the calculation. The long version depends on how long you held the stock, what kind of option is was, and so on.

April 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(362) Audra says:

In 2008 my husband was denied EIC as the IRS told him he has to file ‘Married Filing Separately”. This cause us to lose our refund and we ended up owing 1300 dollars. I just did our 2009 taxes and realized that if we would have filed a married joint return, the EIC would not have been disallowed. The 2008 status was changed at the insistence of an IRS agent and I believe the advice was erroneous. How do I fix this? We signed the agreement to pay the tax, because we didn’t know any better. Now that I know the rules of filing joint or separate I feel like they omitted this information and gave us bad advice leading to the tax owed rather than the refund due. Please help! I have not made payments yet, they have only just now sent us the bill.

April 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(363) William Perez says:

You submit an amendment to the tax return through the auditor. If the auditor has already closed the case, you can re-open it by requesting an appeal.

April 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm
(364) Lisa says:

I e-filed last night. I’m getting a refund. My 1040 was accepted this morning. Then I went to work, printed out the return, and noticed that I had accidentally taken a duplicate deduction on Schedule A. I have completed the 1040X, and it’s sitting in an envelope with my check for the small underpayment. Can I wait a week or two before mailing it off, so I’m not in the hole for the cash before my refund arrives?

April 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm
(365) Lost In The Maze says:

my friend and i ran a very small clean up biz for a year. the biz being in my name. she and i the only two who recvd any funds. she was paid her wages as staff and paid in fed, state etc taxes.

she did the paper work. but failed to make herself a w2 or send in a w3 (which we did not know about till now).

how do we take care of this? who do we contact, after this amount of time has passed?

on my taxes i showed what i paid out as wages…and she showed on her taxes what was paid in.

thank you.

April 16, 2010 at 12:46 am
(366) Mark says:

I realized that I made error in 2005 and 2006 return. The income is understated by about 2,000 dollars earned abroad. Do I need to file 1040X to amend my return. Thanks in advance.

April 17, 2010 at 7:21 pm
(367) Amanda says:

I am a student, and a dependent of my parents and my father has filled my taxes. He accidentally checked “Married” instead of “Single” while filling for me as a dependent. We received a letter from the IRS stating there was an error and I’m to receive $125 as a refund… when I was expecting $1100 federal and $125 state. Is this because I was filled as married?? Please help! My father just wants to leave this alone (not admit he made a mistake), but I want my money! What can I do??

April 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(368) Celeste says:

I used an online Tax software. I e-filed my federal and state taxes. There was a mistake in my state return but NOT in my federal return so I mailed an amended state return before April 15. I had a question about one of my 1099 (I had w-2s and 1099s) and had contacted the business that issued it but did not hear back from them until today April 19, 2009. As it turns out there was an invoice from 2008 that they did not pay until 2009. So the 1099 was correct but I put the calculations from my invoices from 2009 only. So I have $122 more in income than what was reported. Should I amend the returns? This would be the second amendment for the state return. Or should I just wait until the IRS catches the mistake and contacts me?

April 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(369) Monica says:

I received a notice from the IRS about my 2008 return, Form 8889, HSA. I mistakenly did not include the HSA distribution and now they are taxing me on that distribution even though I used the whole amount to pay only medical expenses. Can somebody tell me how to fill this form correctly? Where do distributions go? (I used 100% of it for medical expenses). Do I have to fill Part II?

April 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm
(370) Jim Collings says:

I filed my 2004 tax return on time and was due a refund of $3000. Later, IRS sent me letter saying that I had unreported income. I resolved all of the issues and this caused my tax burden to go up $1000 dollars. I expected to pay interest and penalties on the $1000 but I receive notice saying the $2000 credit will not be issued because it is past 3 year deadline. Help, what should I do.

April 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(371) abs1 says:

I did not file a return this year due to not having employment other than taking care of a child after school for which I am paid cash. The family sent me a 1099 which I received after the April 15th filing deadline. What should I do?

April 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm
(372) EVE says:

Hi :) I forgot to add my daycare expense to my 2009 return, it has already been processed…how do I file a tax return ammendment or can I just claim it next year? Thanks a bunch.

May 11, 2010 at 8:53 am
(373) Tammy says:

I filed an amendment post marked just before the 15th or April. How long should the wait be before receiving a federal refund check?

May 20, 2010 at 11:16 am
(374) Jeri Lutman says:

I made a mistake and used Schedule C-EZ in 2008 to report income my husband received when he returned to do 12 hours of work for the company from which he is retired. They never sent a tax form, we just received an invoice for services rendered along with the check. Now Philadelphia is telling me I must register as a business and pay all sorts of business taxes because I used that form. Can I submit an amended 2008 return removing Schedule C-EZ and just list the $606 as wages sending a copy of the invoice and check stub as proof.

June 1, 2010 at 2:39 am
(375) jamie says:

ok they put the wrong relationship on my return they put mother instead of aunt down which it shouldn’t be to hard to correct it when i go back to do my taxes next year,cause it scares me cause i don’t want in any trouble with the irs,i called a tax man to see if i was allow to claim my niece cause i live with her and her mom(my sister draws a state check since its not taxed,over half my check or more every 2 weeks go to my neice stuff and over more than half of the tax return goes to her to help take care of her,i’ve helped took care of her since she was borned,and my sister and me was cleaning up to get rid of all the stuff we didn’t need and she found my returns from the year before and they had the wrong relationship there too,god i’m not gonna get into trouble will i cause it wasn’t done on purpose i just didn’t pay attention to it???i also give my sister money to stay there so she pay a bill with it to help her and i also help pay bils and buy food.

June 8, 2010 at 7:45 am
(376) Danny Fugate says:

We filed our taxes for 2009 this year and had to claim money from my wife’s retirement plan that we had to take out in order to survive and paid a 10% penalty on it. She had filed for disability in early 2009 and has been approved dating back to 2008.

My question is this: Can we file an amended return and recoup the 10% penalty under the total disability rule? We are both 53 years old.

July 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(377) Laura says:

When I filed in 2006, I claimed a $2,000 deduction for a vehicle I donated to a local charity. I waited for the charity to send me a letter with the auction amount, but it didn’t arrive until after the tax deadline. Since I didn’t want to file late, I used the Kelley Blue Book value. A few months later, the charity sent me a letter stating the car sold for $1,000. At this point, should I even bother filing an amended return?

July 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm
(378) Mia says:

The state department of revenue made out my taxes for the year 2008. I was unable to do them. First, they did not take my deductions, and sent me a bill for almost $3000. I amended them, but they still took all of the money in my checking account, my CD, my refund for this year, and my Federal refund. My amended return has been looked at by the auditor, and still will not give me my money back. Now they have sent me another bill. If I don’t pay it, they will put liens on my other property. I have called numerous times, and line is always busy. If I do get through, a I leave a message for a call back, however, they don’t call back.

July 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(379) shareena says:

Our medical expenses of $7,200 is lower than 5% of our income which is $7,550 the threshold if we can claim deductions or not. Since it is lower my husband did not bother to put in our expenses not knowing that it matters for college grant. We filed our returns early this year. Can we ammend even if the resulting deduction is still zero?

July 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm
(380) William Perez says:

You don’t need to amend your tax return, as there will not be any change in your tax figures.

August 4, 2010 at 10:52 am
(381) Cindy says:

I am being audited by the state of Oregon for the tax year 2007 but not by the IRS. If the audit with Oregon does not go in my favor and I owe additional tax should I amend by federal taxes as I would have used the same itemized deductions?
Also I received a refund from Oregon for that year so if I end up owing tax would I have to repay the refund or just additional tax, interest and penalties?
thank you

August 4, 2010 at 4:24 pm
(382) William Perez says:

At the conclusion of the audit with the state of Oregon, you should file an amended federal return with the IRS to report any changes as the result of the audit. The rationale is that states send information about audit changes to the IRS, and so it’s turns out to be more efficient if you report the changes yourself rather than waiting to hear back from the IRS.

August 4, 2010 at 10:57 am
(383) Cindy says:

I am being audited for 2007 taxes by the state of Oregon and I am sure they are questioning my husbands per diem deductions as he is a truck driver. If the audit does not go
in my favor with Oregon and they disallow the per diem deductions should I go ahead and amend our federal returns even though they are not auditing?
Thank You

August 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm
(384) Sophia Brooks says:

I made a typo in my social security number on my tax submission for more than one year. The w-2 attachments were however correct. How do I correct this error?

November 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm
(385) Mike says:

my wife and i just recived a letter from the IRS and they want to audit our 2008 return, specifically the schedule e income/loss on rental property, well i dug out the return and after looking it over i realized there is no amount in the rents received, also there is no amount for the maintance fee which i thought i put both in using turbo tax.. i don’t know what happened. this was the first and only year i ever used schedule e because in 2009 my wife let the condo be forclosed as the property value fell to below half of what was owed on it. This was her condo she lived in until we married in Jan of 2008. My question is should i amend our return now that i see the mistake? Or should i just go into the audit and tell them i make a honest mistake mainly because i did not know what i was doing? The amount is not that large i don’t think, we only made 51k for that year with both our incomes combined. but the schedule e ended up being a 9500.00 write off i guess since it was a negative, but once we add the 11,000 in rent we received and then also add to the 9500 (taxes and interest) the maintance fee of 4000 that would turn the 9500 negative into a 2050.00 positve. we got back 2100 and probably should have only got back maybe 800, i’m sure we owe money but do you think we need representation? what do you think will happen, my wife is aftaid we could be jailed.

November 28, 2010 at 10:45 am
(386) Mike says:

Also can we add depreciation to the schedule e, even tho we abonded the property in 2009? and if so would we do the GDS straight line (i beleive) and take the price paid for the condo back when my wife bought it in 2002, she paid 87K, so would we use that number as the basis and multiply that by 3.636 % to get the depreciation for 2008, the year we rented the condo?

November 29, 2010 at 5:08 pm
(387) Chelle says:

I was audited one year and ended up having to pay back the whole amount of my refund. Am I entitled to refile my taxes to get the original amount back without the dependants?

November 29, 2010 at 7:41 pm
(388) pleasedivorceme says:

Help! Although I am still technically married, my husband & I have lived in completely seperate residences since 2005. I did not receive any money from him since our split; I supported myself. I let him continue to file our taxes because he’s self-employed so it was easier to let him take care of it. This month, the CA FTB and IRS are coming after me for $400k in taxes for 06 & 07! I had no idea he made over a million dollars! I didn’t look at the taxes and I never got a copy. I make $50k a year. He is no longer working and is broke, so they are coming after me! Is there ANY way to undo the joint liability? He’s taking full responsibility, but cannot pay the debt! HELP!! We do not own anything so the only re-payment is a wage garnishment, which would completely destroy me!! I squeak by as it is!! Thanks!

November 30, 2010 at 4:40 am
(389) William Perez says:

You should strongly considering seeking professional advice, pleasedivorceme. Filing a joint return comes with the responsibility to share the tax burden. You may be eligible for innocent spouse relief in which the joint tax liability can be split into two separate liabilities. There’s a pretty narrow window of opportunity for requesting this type of relief — you have two years from the first time the IRS contacted you about the unpaid taxes. (Refer to Publication 971 for all the details.) An enrolled agent, CPA or tax attorney can review whether you meet the criteria for innocent spouse relief and represent your case before the IRS. You should also start filing your own, separate return to prevent this problem from repeating itself. There may be other protections available to you as well.

December 17, 2010 at 6:30 am
(390) Linda Nichols says:

What are some reasons that filing an amended return cannot resolve?

December 17, 2010 at 6:35 am
(391) Linda Nichols says:

I agree with my letter of adjustment, but I don’t have any money to pay. Do I still have to file an amended?

December 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(392) William Perez says:

Linda, if you agree with the changes made by the IRS, you do not need to file an amended return. Instead you can just sign the agreement form that the IRS mailed to you. You can also set up an installment agreement, to pay your tax over time.

January 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm
(393) mzqua says:

i have filed and submitted my taxes through turbo. They filed me under household employee but when i was talking to someone they said i am actually self employed, i dont understand because i dont receive a 1099 from anyone. i braid hair and it is not everyday i sometimes do it at home and sometimes i go to the appointments home. i really dont know what to do! should i refile under self employed or just leave it alone?

January 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm
(394) mzqua says:

i filed my taxes under household employee but someone told me i am really considered self employed. i just need to know should i change it myself or will the irs do it. i braid hair and most of the time i go to my appointments house and do but i will also do hair from my own home can you please help me figure this out???? i didnt deduct any expenses or anything i just entered my income for the year…

January 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(395) michelleahoo.com says:

Hello i just filed my 2010 taxes and after i filed i noticed i put my Net what i brought home for the year not my AIG amount..What should i do now to fix it or should i wait to get my refund and then fix it?(I am a mom trying to get a place to live with my refund) .

January 19, 2011 at 12:18 am
(396) imeda says:


I need help last year I miss understood the EIC explanation. I earned 7,814 and received unemployment 9,725 . I was told that because I didnt earn a lot I could claim EIC eventhough my ex husband was claiming our daughter. What they did’t tell me is that i was not supposed to send out the Schedule EIC.I received a letter from IRS telling me that I need to amend I have the form but i’m confused. I know that I am supposed to record the changes only. on line 13 i entered 0 cuz i shouln’t of receive any EIC. so were or how am I going to know how much I owe. they refund me 2661 on EIC were do I enter that amount??
please advise….

Thank you,

January 19, 2011 at 10:08 am
(397) JinJin says:

My husband forgot to file some 1099B forms last year 2009 tax return because he places them in another folder. He didn’t realize he had forgotten them until we got a letter in the mail this year from the IRS saying we have a tax increase in those. They took all the net proceeds and assume that those are profits. Viewing the forms, he actually loss a lot of money. IRS is also adding in penalities and fees. I thought he has 3 years to amend these, right? It has only been a year (why does it take the IRS a whole year to figure it out anyways)? Should we just file an amend now or file these in our 2010 tax return? We are freaking out now because it says we owe the IRS over $15K. Please help.

Best regards,


January 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(398) Cheryl says:

I put down the wrong filing status….other than that everything else was the same….what do i do?

January 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(399) Jessica says:

I just efiled and the IRS accepted it but I forgot to add a dependent because I didn’t have their social secutiry number at the time, what do I do?

January 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm
(400) Michael says:

Long story short, I messed up on my 2008 return. I owed $67, when in fact I should have gotten a return of $408. I just recently found out that I can go back and get the money I’m really owed. Do I just fill out a 1040X?

January 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm
(401) William Perez says:

Michael: fill out a new 1040 and using the revised 1040, you will transfer information from that to the 1040X. Also attach any revised schedules or worksheets and any supporting documents for additional deductions. And then mail it off to the IRS.

January 28, 2011 at 11:21 am
(402) SarahW says:

I just electronically filed my 2010 taxes and realized the amounts I entered in as Social Security Wages and Medicare Wages were wrong. The amounts for the Income and all the withheld taxes are correct. Is there any reason I need to file an amended return since it doesn’t change the amount I’m getting back? If I do have to amend, will I have more of a chance of being audited? THANKS!

January 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(403) William Perez says:

SarahW, an excellent question. Usually entering the wrong amounts for Social Security and Medicare wages won’t change any of the figures on your tax return.

However I can think of two situations in which it might impact your numbers.

First, if you also have self-employed income (schedules C or F and schedule SE). In that case, the Social Security wage amount and withholding amount might change your self-employment tax calculations.

Second, if you had two or more jobs and your total wages exceeded with Social Security wage limit of 106,800 for the year. In that case, you might have overpaid Social Security, and that would trigger a refund from the IRS.

If neither of those situations apply, I cannot think of any reason you would need to correct your tax return.

January 29, 2011 at 1:27 am
(404) Tara says:

What can you do if you accidentally claimed a dependent on your federal tax form?

January 29, 2011 at 11:14 pm
(405) Marie says:

Our taxes have been completed and they were accepted by the IRS and we received our refund. Now a close friend of ours told us we should have waited because we will receive a form from my husbandís military TSP account (Thrift saving plan, sort of like a 401k) stating that we withdrew about 16,00.00 from it.

Basically we will be taxed and penalized. How do we go about fixing this?

January 31, 2011 at 9:46 am
(406) Greg says:

Hi I just efiled. I noticed that I entered in my NY state wages in 2,000 less than it needs to be. my W2 reads 69,753, I entered in 67,753. Should I wait for the state to correct this or amend the state taxes. also, I noticed when entering in this information in the “federal section” of turbo tax (it automatically transposes it into the state section), which section should I correct. Both fed and state, or just state?

please advise.

January 31, 2011 at 1:02 pm
(407) SarahW says:

William – Thank you for answering me. Neither of the things you brought up apply to us so that’s great! Thanks again!!!

February 2, 2011 at 9:06 am
(408) Njaan says:

I had my taxes filed from a tax professional when I knew nothing about taxes. This year I’m better informed about taxes, and I revisited my returns last year – 2009. A lot it was bogus and deductions that I could never give bills for. I realize the tax guy did it so that I could get more refund. which I did. But if I get picked for audit, its trouble. So my question is – Can I go back and remove all those deductions and am ready to pay back the extra amount I got as refund. Can I do that?

February 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(409) Tonya says:

when i filed my 2008 and 2009 taxes my x-husband claimed one child and I claimed the other but i was unaware that I was still able to claim the EIC on both children since I am the custodial parent and they both lived with me the whole year of 2008 and 2009. When I fill out the form 1040X would I only need to change the EIN on line 13?

February 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(410) michael says:

i messed up and filed a form 8379 injured spouse and found after the fact that there is no debt owed. the irs says since i file it it will 11 weeks before i get refund ..is there any way to basically to ignore the form and send me our money

February 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(411) Angelina Faulkner says:

Hi there, I filed my taxes as head of household and had a dependent on their. This is an error. I did not want to put HOH I wanted single with no dependents. I noticed this error after the IRS accpeted my return. What should I do? Does this affect the person I had on my taxes? She couldnt efile so she mailed it in. Will this mean she will not get her return? I want to remove her from my return and pay back the IRS the money they sent. HELP!!


February 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm
(412) deej says:

I filed my taxes online using the H&R Block program. I am supposed to claim my child on odd years and her mother claims her on even years. Typically I go to the H&R Block office and they do everything . . . I always filed as “Head of Household” and provided my child’s information to the preparer. There was always a 100% difference in my returns when I do claim my child vs. not claiming her. This year I thought I did the same thing myself, but apparently I claimed my child!?!? The IRS rejected my ex’s filing and stated I already claimed her. How do I fix this? I do not want to be in violation of our court order re: this, and I certainly don’t want to be refunded if I was not due the funds. Is there a form I can file to correct this? please help!!!

February 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm
(413) Linda says:

Hey, I realized that my state refund is too high like 2,000 I was wondering what should I do should I amend because I checked the status and it is waiting routine review, will they just take the money off and i still receive my federal because I dont know what happen nor do I have any papers verifying whatever came to $2000. PLEASE ANSWER!

February 13, 2011 at 12:08 am
(414) Michael says:

I have just filed my 2010 using turbotax and I realized that for the last two years, I way understated the acquisition cost of a rental property that was converted from a primary residence in 2008. Turbo kept the the number for 2009, so I want to know if 1) I can amend both years to accurately file the acquisition cost, and 2) if it will impact this year’s refund since I put the previous depreciation for two years in that are accurate to what was filed – but is in fact, incorrect.

February 14, 2011 at 11:12 am
(415) simone says:

Someone claimed my 20 years old son, I have claimed him since he was born. I want to claim him and make sure the person who claims him gets punished. What do I need to have this amended

February 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(416) HeatherD says:

Hi, I filled my taxes already this year . I used turbo tax online. after reading over my papers before I put them away I realized it only saved on dependent (my daughter) but not my nephew whom lived with me for 7 mths. How can I fix this and add him?

February 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(417) Christi says:

I found out my ex claimed our kids on his taxes but I didn’t know this till after I filed mine and it got rejected. Is there a way I can refile mine without listing them as dependents

February 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm
(418) Shawn says:

In 2008 I purchased a home and later received the homebuyer credit (re-pay) when filing my tax return for 2008. Later that year I was relocated, and had to sell my house (to the relo company) and did not make a profit. Per IRS guidelines, I should not have to pay back the 8000 (from what I understand).

While filing my 2010 return I realized that I did not complete form 5405 on my 2009 return – stating that I had sold the house. Due to this, my 2010 E File was rejected – the error stated that a 5405 form must be present.

My questions are 1) Do I need to amend my 2009 return with a 5405 form showing that I sold my house, and 2) do I have to wait to file my 2010 taxes until the 2009 amendment is accepted – or should I mail my 2010 return in along with the 2009 amendment?”

February 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm
(419) nicole says:

Ok, so I’ve already filed and recieved my 2010 state and federal return. I have deductions for charitable donations. I kept a spreadsheet of everything I donated and the thrift store value of it, which is what I used to prepair my return but, I cannot find the reciepts for anything. Should I just ammend my return and take off all my deductions I don’t have reciepts for???

February 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm
(420) Abarnes says:

My boyfriends’ state refund has been filed and accepted, he received a letter from IRS about son’s daycare expenses, the proof is no problem but the amount we put on and the amount shown on proof letter is about a $400 difference, what should we do?

February 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm
(421) sean says:

i included my unemployment compensation as wages, tips, etc rather than on the line for unemployment and forgot to include the verification I received from the unemployment office. Do I need to file an amended return?

February 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm
(422) grant says:

what do i do if after filing i notice that i made a mistake claiming investmet income instead of capital gains.capital gains are taxed on 50% of your gain instead of all of it.looks like i should get a little bit more of a return than filed.

February 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(423) jane says:

i was married in 2009 but my husband and i decided to file married filing jointly for the first time this year. We filed with turbotax as always, and stupidly didn’t realize that we needed to actually file ONE form. yes, it’s true. SO we BOTH filed with turbotax, married filing jointly. sigh. they accepted his return and it forced me to send mine through the mail. i realized we had made a mistake the next day. How do we resolve this? he was only getting $424 where I am getting $4684( i have 3 kids from a previous marrriage). His will go directly to past due child support from a past relationship, bt I also filed injured spouse because i have no responsibility towards that debt and wanted to be protected. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

February 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm
(424) William Perez says:

The IRS will likely mail back to you the 2nd return mailed in. You’ll need to amend the first tax return, and prepare a new joint tax return that reports both of your income. Or, if you prefer, you can file two separate returns; in which case you would amend the first return to change the filing status to married filing separately & recalculate the tax, and file a new 2nd, separate return.

February 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm
(425) Robby says:

My state is saying I never file my 2007 nc taxes.. I have no idea what happened… I never owe state always get a small return .I can not find anything that I FILED I do have my w2 from my employer. HOW do I fix this?

February 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm
(426) William Perez says:

Robby, simply file the 2007 NC tax return. If you have a copy of your federal return, you can use that to pull in the numbers you need for your state return. Mail that in along with a copy of your W2 showing state withholding, and you should be fine.

March 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm
(427) Robby says:

I am now informed by my wife that my 2007 fed form is saved on one of our computers but she says that she can not get the T07 FILE to open ?

March 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(428) Mike says:

Can I resubmit my 2009 tax return if I filed Married filing jointly and owed due to my ex-wife, but would like to file Married but separate which I think would benefit me?

March 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(429) Gregg says:

Do I have to amend my return if I received a 1099-MISC form in the mail but already reported the income under a different miscellaneous section on turbotax? I was able to report this income before I received the 1099-MISC form in the mail because I kept printed copies of all my income deposits to my bank. However, I just got this 1099-MISC form in the mail and I didn’t report this income under that section. I reported it under “Less Common Income” – “Miscellaneous Income” – “Wages Not Already Reported on a W-2.” The income was commission for selling a pv solar panel system.

March 4, 2011 at 6:18 am
(430) Kamila says:

My husband used tax prep software and made an error in filing status by selecting single instead of married filing separately. Week later I did our taxes and we get a lot more refund if we file join return so I prepared our taxes using 1040A using filing status married filing jointly. Since the website wouldn’t allow me to e-file because he already filed his taxes I had to print it out and mail it.
Now I am worried that I was supposed to send 1040X correcting his original taxes filed on Feb 07 instead of 1040A that I sent on Feb 15. My question now is what to do? do I send 1040X or wait for the IRS to accept or reject our return.

March 8, 2011 at 3:25 am
(431) William Perez says:

Kamila, sounds like you guys filed two tax returns (once as single, from your husband) and again a joint return. Both returns will need to be amended and in their place either (1) one joint tax return combining both of your incomes and deductions; or (2) two separate tax returns reporting your separate income and deductions. Don’t wait for the IRS to catch the mistake, as by then you may have missed the April 18th deadline.

March 5, 2011 at 2:01 am
(432) JACKSON says:

I filed my taxes on thursday march 3rd 2011 with making a mistake on claiming a child that i thought i was entiled to claim but found out today that i am not. do not want to get charged with tax fraud because of this mistake. What do i do please help!!!and will recognizing this mistake now make me audited?

March 8, 2011 at 3:20 am
(433) William Perez says:

Correcting this mistake should actually help decrease your audit risk. Simply file an amended return (Form 1040X along with a new and correct Form 1040). If the amended return is filed and the tax (if any additional amount is due) is paid by April 18th, 2011, there should not be any additional penalties to worry about.

March 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm
(434) chad says:

I filed my taxes and received my income tax direct deposit. After that my mother found out she could claim me so i had amend mine and send hers in by hand. i received 692 but once i amended it i owed 50$. so i mailed in that check but still have the 692, will that be taken back out of my account or will i have to mail that in to them. My mothers return went up about 2000$ because she could claim me

March 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(435) William Perez says:

The $50 you owed on your amended return should be the additional amount of tax. In other words, had you filed as a dependent on your first return, your refund would have been fifty dollars lower. So you keep the $692 you received.

March 16, 2011 at 11:43 am
(436) Courtney says:

Got married in Nov 2010. We’re filing MFS, but I forgot to change my status in the Personal Info section to “Married” and already e-filed. My husband was a more careful reader and changed his status before filing.

Should I amend now or can wait and I amend next year? What’s the likelihood of this raising a red flag?

March 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(437) Nakeisha says:

Hello i had filed my 2009 tax return and i wasnt aduited but put under review because the lady that did my taxes had added a dependent that’s not mine( also did it without me knowing). I didnt get my tax return papers from her cause i was told that you get your papers when the check comes. So i went to a different tax preparer and he told me that i can amend it and that i didnt want that other dependent on there. so will the irs still ask me for proof that my son stayed with me that whole year or will they just give me my refund without asking for addional documents? By the way i reported the lady who done this fraud. plz help thanx

March 24, 2011 at 1:32 am
(438) Ashley says:

I filed my taxes for the first time ever tonight with the same guy who does my parents’ taxes. I was nervous, and recited the wrong first 3 digits of my ssn. I’m worried sick, what should I do? My parents claimed me as their dependent. I’m gonna call the IRS tomorrow, and explain, but I’m very, VERY afraid. Please help!

March 24, 2011 at 4:15 am
(439) William Perez says:

If your accountant files the tax return electronically (which most accountants do), the IRS will bounce back the return with a message that the SSN doesn’t match their records. Give him a call and he’ll revise the return.

March 24, 2011 at 4:17 am
(440) William Perez says:

If your tax accountant filed the return electronically (which most accountants try to do), then the IRS will bounce back the return with a message saying the SSN didn’t match their records. Your accountant will then be able to revise the tax return and re-send it to the IRS. Also, the accountant should have cross-checked the SSN you provided with the number shown on your W-2 or other tax documents, so he might have fixed the problem before filing.

March 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(441) Cherie says:

Can you amend a return from Head of Household to Married filing Joint.

April 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(442) Mary R says:

I subcontract and every year my end of year payment is issued on Dec 31 and reported on my 1099-Misc even though I don’t receive it until Jan 3 or 4th. Is it this years income or last years?

April 12, 2011 at 6:16 am
(443) William Perez says:

If it’s on the 1099-MISC, it should be reported on your 1040 Schedule C. Yeah, I know that you didn’t “constructively receive” the income (cash in hand) until January, but the IRS computers match up the total revenue on the Schedule C against the total of all the 1099-MISC forms you received for the year. If there’s a mismatch, you’ll receive a computer generated letter asking you to explain the discrepancy. Accordingly, it would be better to address the issue up front.

April 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(444) Moosmom says:

Due to a computer glitch I had a substantial passive loss that did not carryover to my 2007 return (filed April ’08). It likely also affects my returns for 2008 and 2009. This year there is a substantial passive gain which should be offset by the previous loss – if it had showed up and carried over. Do I need to file amended returns for the past three years? And how do I complete my 2010 return without having to pay a big chunk in taxes???

April 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(445) William Perez says:

Moosmom, you should amend your 2007 tax return to correct the passive losses (Form 8582). Last day to amend 2007 and generate a carryover is Monday, April 18th, 2011. Then amend 2008 and 2009 as well. That should get the carryover losses to your 2010 return.

April 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(446) Moosmom says:

And file an extension for 2010?

April 14, 2011 at 12:34 am
(447) MessedUp says:

We did not know that we needed to treat our childcare provider as an employee. As I was filling out my taxes with TurboTax I learned that she is an employee, making me responsible for Medicare, SS, and FUTA. I got an EIN and filed paying the requisite federal taxes. Easy enough, right?

Now here is the rub, she lives in another state and was staying with us while my spouse was deployed. She filed her state taxes in her home state, and claimed the income as “other income.” I spoke with the IRS and know she needs to file a 1040X w/a W-2 attached. What will she have to do with respect to state taxes? BTW, she filed in Wisconsin and lived in Alabama with us. She is going back to Wisconsin next month.

Thank you.

April 14, 2011 at 1:10 am
(448) William Perez says:

Sounds like you did things correctly, MessedUp. Your childcare provider will likely need to revise her federal tax return. She will also need to file in Alabama since that’s where she actually worked.

April 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(449) Kilabon says:

I am due a refund however, I received a 1042-S rather than a 1099-R due to a mixup about my address. If I had it, I would get a larger refund. Is it better to file what I have and send an ammended form later or wait to get the 1099-R and file late. Would there be a penalty if I did that?

April 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm
(450) Kristi says:

Do I need to file an amended tax form 1040 x if I forgot to sign the original and forgot to attach my W2′s to it when I mailed it to the IRS? Everything else on the form is absolutely correct just my absentmindedness!

April 15, 2011 at 10:52 am
(451) smurph says:

Hi! I just got married and my husband put me in a joint return but he mistakenly put a wrong social security number under me,as in totally different numbers. (I just got my social security number last year but haven’t worked yet….) What should we do? Thanks….

April 21, 2011 at 12:10 am
(452) Elizabeth Ovalle says:

I moved back to indiana in may of 2010 and i didnt get my 2 girls back home fully till aug. they spent the night and did the weekend thing up untill that point where they came home. when i diod my taxes i just automaticly put them on my taxes and then my sister called and said that it kicked her taxes out because i already claimed the girls. i want to make things write with her. and i didnt mean to claim them if she was going to. so i want to let her claim them and i will pay back the money i recieved. what should i do. she is very upset that i claimed them. i didnt think about it when i did the taxes i was just always use to putting them on there.

April 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(453) Gina Beck says:

My schedule C does not match my 8829…do I file an amendment to fix this?

April 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm
(454) William Perez says:

Gina, thanks for asking your question. What do you mean by the Schedule C not matching the Form 8829? These two tax forms cross-link in two places. Your tentative net income from the Sch. C line 29 should match the Form 8829 Line 8. And then the home office deduction on Form 8829 line 35 should then match the figure on the Schedule C line 30. If either of these don’t match, my initial suspicion is that the IRS computers will catch the error and either attempt to correct it, or send you a letter. If it’s been a couple of months since you filed and no letter from the IRS, then I would go ahead and amend to make any revisions. If there’s a different matching problem than what I suspected, then leave another comment. All the best, William.

May 1, 2011 at 11:13 am
(455) Richard says:

I was waiting for my paper (not e-filed) return for a month. When I went to the IRS site to check the status I discovered to my horror that my tax preparer input the wrong social security number in all paperwork (one number mistake). That is why I never got the return! What do I do now? I also have 2 state returns. Please help! Thanks so very much.

May 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm
(456) William Perez says:

Richard, have your preparer correct the mistakes. He or she should be willing to do that at no cost. This is not a hard mistake to correct. In fact, the IRS might have already sent letters informing you of the mistake on the tax return. You might want to call them to confirm that. The IRS hotline number is 1-800-829-1040.

May 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(457) Matinix says:

Can a company report half of my income in 2008 to 2009ís 1099 form without my agreement? I had different filling status and big difference of income during these two years, which cause a big difference on the tax rate. Thanks a lot.

May 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(458) William Perez says:

For 1099 income, the client issues the 1099-MISC based on when payment was actually made to the contractor. That is, payments made in 2008 would be reported on the 2008 1099-MISC, and similarly payments made in 2009 would be reported on the 2009 1099-MISC. If the 1099s are incorrect, you could either ask the company to correct the 1099s they issued or you could make any corrective adjustments on your tax return for those two years.

June 24, 2011 at 2:11 am
(459) rachel says:

My employer put by mistake EIC payment on my w-2 2009. IRS says I owe that EIC amount (I did`t show it on my taxes. then employer gave me W-2-c without IEC payment. But now he say I owe him that money. Do I owe anyone (IRS or my employer) anything? Thanx

August 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm
(460) Michelle says:

I filed an amended return for my 2008 taxes. I had originally file single but I amended for Married filing jointly since my husband said he did not file that year and we could not find anr w-2 for. Well we received a letter that he filed now stating we owe. A transcript was sent to us but it has no job history it shows self employeed. We searched our records and we are not able to find his 2008 taxes He was a victom of Idenity theft and had to send in all this information in 2004 and again when he filed for 2007. The transcript shows he earned 12,745 his return was 2918. Adding the 12745 combine with mine it totaled 45,505 I claimed 2 kids and he has 2 kids, Adding what his return 2918 was that year and mine was 5245 there stating we were over payed 5845. I dont understand how we were over paid? Is it possible to Amend the Amended return back to single?

August 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm
(461) William Perez says:

Once you file a joint tax return as a married couple, you can amend to switch to married filing separately only on or before the April 15th deadline (which has already passed). You cannot amend to go back to the single filing status unless you were actually single (unmarried). There’s a lot of information in your question, and it may be best to consult with a tax professional to review your 2008 tax returns and transcripts from the IRS.

August 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(462) Peg says:


this is complicated I think. I am not sure what to do. I somehow managed to add $22,000 to our itemized deductions in 2010 taxes. I think I have to do a 1040x form. But will this cause red flags for an audit. It will cause me to owe way more in taxes. I am stressed and scared that this error is going to cause an audit. Some advice will be helpful. I am also not sure what to put in the part III of the form to explain how stupid I am. Had a lot going on in my life at the time and just didn’t pay attention :{

August 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(463) kathryn says:

We filed our taxes back in march of this year. My husband is a company truck driver and receives a 1099 every year. He went to their office today and the owner had a corrected 1099 for him saying they made a mistake we actually made 5,000 dollars less than what we claimed…. we did get money back in April when we filed. Do I file an amended tax return now? Will we receive money back now?

September 14, 2011 at 1:11 am
(464) David says:

I need to file an amended tax return for year 2005. On the original, I was married and we filed jointly. We were divorced in 2006, the ex-wife is a foreigner, she has returned to her country and there is no way for me to have her sign the amended return. What do I do?

September 14, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(465) William Perez says:

David, a joint amended return requires the signatures of both spouses, just like an original tax return, since both spouses must agree to the accuracy of the return and its calculation of tax. So I don’t think you’ll be able to file the amended return. We could also view the situation another way. If your amended return is seeking to lower your tax and claim additional refund, the refund from 2005 is now expired due to the 3-year statute of limitations on refunds. If your amended return is to report more income or to reduce deductions, you’ll need to analyze when the return was originally filed as the IRS has only 3-years to initiate an audit of a tax return. So if you filed your ’05 return in ’06 sometime, we add three years, bringing us to 2009 sometime. Both refunds and audits for year 2005 tax returns have been closed since mid-2009.

September 16, 2011 at 1:56 am
(466) Ken says:

Last year I had about $18,000,000 in gross short-term sales of stock and a similar number for cost basis. I completed a multi-page Schedule D-1 listing each transaction, dates, sales, cost basis, totals. I attached it to the tax return that I sent to the IRS today — which had granted the standard 6-month extension. On my Schedule D, I typed in “See Attachment to Schedule D.” BUT since my tax software can’t handle numbers over $10,000,000, I typed only $8,000,000 on Schedule D for “Sales Price” and “Cost Basis” and “Short-term Sales Total” amounts, intending to hand write “1″ in front of each number so they’d be $18,000,000. I made two copies and I *might* have sent the IRS a Schedule D without the leading 1′s! I don’t know for sure since I’ve already shredded the extra hardcopy. Regardless, I know the attached Schedule D-1 has all the correct information and matches the info from the Brokers’ 1099s. Will the IRS change my Schedule D numbers to match up with my attached Schedule D-1? Should I be proactive and file an 1040X, even though I’m not completely sure I made the error? Of course the error has no effect on the total gain/loss or on the rest of the tax return. I’m owed a refund. What should I do?

October 6, 2011 at 7:45 pm
(467) vick says:

For tax year 2009, I forgot to addd 8889 for HSA Distributions and I recieved the additional tax request from IRA. Can I still do the ammendment and send the 8889 forms?


October 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(468) Johanna says:

I had sizeable stock market losses in 2003 that I should have carried over to my 2004 return. However, the IRS has apparently “filed” for me for 2004 because I didn’t get around to doing it myself due to life events. My question: can I still carry my 2003 losses over to my 2005 return? Or does the 2004 return need amending? I doubt the IRS carried my losses forward. Is it even possible to amend a return that the IRS has done for me?

I’m in the process of filing returns for 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. I really need those losses carried forward to offset gains that I had in those years, even though I haven’t had any income I did have stock trades to account for. Thanks for your help!

October 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(469) cd says:

In my 2009 filing, I made a stupid mistake in reporting my tax home on my foreign income exclusion form 2555ez. Therefore, it was not considered and I did not meet the qualifications for the foreign income exclusion.

I am trying to correct this now, because I definitely met the physical presence test and my tax home was in fact in another country. Do I file a 1040x? How do I report this on a 1040x (under which section) and how do I get a revised 2555ez considered for my foreign tax exclusion? Thank you!

October 20, 2011 at 11:00 am
(470) ATax says:

I received a schedule K-1 from one of my investments and my SSN was reflected inaccurately. Does the underlying investment which has already filed thier tax return need to amend it to reflect the change?

October 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm
(471) Lb says:

It sayd you have 3 years to file for a refund but what if you received a 1099 from more than 3 years ago so I have this income that should have been reported 5 years ago and was not. What do I do?

November 3, 2011 at 9:44 am
(472) Tonya says:

I am filing amended returns for a friend. The original preparer filed them as single & head of household, it should have been done as married filing jointly. Do I file two amended returns or 1?

December 9, 2011 at 1:34 am
(473) Taylor says:

so i lied to my mom about going to school this semester, and gave her a false reciept saying i personally paid so amount. what i forgot to realize was: taxes.

If my mom puts that down in the tax form (before i was able to tell her) but she wasnt aware of it. will she get in trouble? or will they disregard it and pay her the right amount back?

i was told if you put down too little on taxes they investigate for fraud (bc they are returning you too much) but if you put down too much, they correct it for you and disregard the mistake. is that true?

December 20, 2011 at 11:44 am
(474) Angela Garcia says:

There are so many Q & A that I couldn’t go thru all of them. My question is: if I already filed my taxes for the year 2010 & forgot to include my I believe 1099 (taxes from paying school tuition) & taxes off a 401K plan I cashed out (which by the way was not that much) & I want to file an amendment & do so with the same company that did my taxes (a private company) do I have to pay them again to do them or should it be free of charge like in H&R Block? How do I find this info to confirm that I don’t? Because they want to charge me $20 less than what I had previously paid them to do the entire filing. Please advise, I am desperate to know. I would hate to think that they’re taking advantage of me after going to them for more than 10 years! Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it. AG

December 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(475) William Perez says:

Tax preparers are allowed to charge for preparing an amended tax return. Each tax firm sets their own pricing, so it’s hard to give you a general answer. It does sound like there’s a few changes to make. For what it’s worth, preparing an amended return is a little bit faster if the preparer already has the data from the original return in their computer system.

December 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(476) chaniqua says:

Hi when I e filed my 2010 taxes I never got my money. They told me I needed to send them extra documents that they needed after 3 months of waiting so I Jus figured I can wait until Nxt year and file with my 2011 taxes. Am i allowed to file this year and get my money for both years Wat will I have to do..and I also lost my w2 from 2010

December 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm
(477) Chet says:

I didn’t realize that when my AGI fell below $110,000 filing jointly with 2 sons below the age of 17, I qualified for a $2000 Child tax credit on my 2007 federal tax return. Am I to late to amend that tax return and ask for the credit?

December 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(478) William Perez says:

Chet, deadline to request a refund from the year 2007 expired on April 15, 2011 due to the 3-year statute of limitations on refunds. Any amendments to your 2007 return filed after this date will not produce a refund from the government.

January 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(479) Kevin says:

I just received a request from the IRS to document my charitable contributions for 2010. In checking all my cancelled checks, I found that I can only document $13,500 of $17,000 I claimed. What should I do now? Should I file an amended return? I was hit with the AMT for 2010, and I’m not sure if I will owe more taxes or not. Thanks.

January 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(480) RedRhode says:

I’m in the middle of a divorce, during which we’ve discovered my husband had hundreds of thousands in foreign bank accounts in his name only. I knew about some of the accounts at the time, but he convinced me that because he had dual citizenship, we did not have to report this income to the IRS, only to the government in the other country. I did not benefit from any of the interest income or accounts or have any control over them.

Now he’s asking me to sign amended past joint tax returns for four years showing some – but not nearly all – of those accounts and interest income from them, mainly because he wants to keep hiding most of the money from both me and the IRS.

I have several questions: can the I get into trouble for refusing to sign newly amended joint returns I believe to be inaccurate? Can I get into trouble for having signed the original returns innocently believing them to be OK? If I ultimately do sign corrected returns, will I then be liable for any of the taxes and penalties owed now on these foreign accounts/interest I wasn’t in control of originally? And, could the IRS go after funds that are still in US joint accounts – even though they were entirely from my income and “frozen” now due to the divorce action?

Thank you

January 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(481) William Perez says:

RedRhode, you need legal advice and quick. Please consult with your own attorney. Speaking solely from a tax perspective, when you sign a tax return, you sign under penalty of perjury. You cannot be compelled to sign a tax return you know to be incorrect. By signing a joint return, each spouse accepts full responsibility for the accuracy of the information and the payment of tax.

January 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm
(482) Anjal says:

Question- What do I do? I have to old w-2 returns that I never filed one from 2007 and one from 2009.Will I get in trouble for not filing these w-2s.Both w-2′s are from jobs that I work less than six months.What is it that I need to do?

January 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm
(483) ms says:

I was 22 and going to college while living with my mother. My mother claimed me as a dependent because i was living with her and I filed my taxes also but I had my dad do them for me. When he did them he accidentally put his address down instead of showing that i live with my mom so we both got letters stating an error was made. How do I fix it with this year’s taxes?

January 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(484) jaylitos says:

I just filed my taxes for 2011 and after submitting them i realized that i had included my two sons as dependents and listed both as living with me the 12 months, but only one of them lived with me the whole 12 months and the other one was only suppose to be 9 months because I gave birth in April. What can I do? I dont want to get audited or get introuble in any way. Please respond.

January 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(485) William Perez says:

Jaylitos, I think you’ll be fine. The IRS instructs that “A child who was born … during the year is treated as having lived with you all year if your home was the child’s home the entire time he or she was alive during the year.” (Publication 501.) Based on your comment, it sounds like both of your sons lived with you the whole year. It doesn’t sound like your tax return needs to be revised.

January 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm
(486) Austin Doerfler says:

I made a bonehead mistake, while looking over last years tax return, I noticed that I entered/lumped my w-2 earning with my sole propriety business, which even with the credit is a higher tax rate, close to 14 for business owners…and 7 for personal, credit brings it dow to 8 ish? So I overpayed 1,050 in taxes. Which form do I use….I know why they didnt catch that one ha
Thanks, nice blog

January 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(487) jaylitos says:

Thank you soo much for responding! I feeL a LittLe at ease now :)

January 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm
(488) James says:

I filed early using my last check as I have in years past. The problem is my W-2 shows less income than I reported on the return which would give me about $700 more of a return. Do I need to refile or will they correct the mistake.

January 19, 2012 at 11:39 pm
(489) stacy says:

do i need to ammend my taxes if i put the total income a couple hundred dollars less by accident?

January 24, 2012 at 12:57 am
(490) William Perez says:

The IRS is capable of correcting errors of arithmetic on your tax return. I would wait for the IRS to send you a computer-generated notice (in about 2-4 months) to explain the changes they made to your tax return.

January 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(491) Stephanie says:

I receive a 1098E from my lendor, and realized they had my address incorrect (only missing 1 letter in the street name). Do I need to do anything to have this changed, or is this not anything I need to worry about. I have since corrected with my financial institution.

January 24, 2012 at 12:56 am
(492) William Perez says:

An incorrect address, by itself an inconvenience, doesn’t need to hold up your tax return. The IRS will be able to match up the 1098 from your lender with your tax return by using your SSN.

January 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(493) Shana says:

I recently did some personal research on income tax preparation, and found out that I could have been claiming itemized deductions for the past 3 years due to significant unreimbursed medical expenses. I have prepared 1040X forms to amend tax years 2009 and 2010, as well as schedule A forms to include as required when switching to itemized deductions. My question is, I understand that for any tax year in which you claim your state and local income tax payments as itemized deductions, and then receive state and local income tax refunds, you must include those refunds in your taxable income for the year in which the payment is received. Being that I am sending amendments in order to claim itemized deductions for tax years 2009 and 2010, I would have to include in the 2010 amendment an adjustment to taxable income to include 2009s refund received in 2010, as well as include 2010s refund received in 2011 in my taxable income for 2011-which i fortunately have yet to file due to waiting on w2s! So, because i plan to send the 2009 and 2010 amendments together (meaning the same day but i am aware separate envelopes are required), do i actually include 2009s refund in my 2010 amendment now? I ask because technically, I did not yet itemize in 2009. Im nervous that even if the returns are mailed the same day, if the 2010 amendment is reviewed prior to 2009s, that it will be viewed as incorrect because it will appear that I did not itemize in 2009 and therefore should not have included state and local refunds received from that year in the income section.

January 24, 2012 at 12:34 am
(494) William Perez says:

Hmm, a very interesting question, Shana. I would include your 2009 state refund, which was received in 2010, as additional income on your 2010 federal return. And your 2010 state refund on your 2011 federal return. If you are amending your state returns for 2009 and 2010, then those additional state refund amounts will be reported on your 2012 federal return along with any 2011 state refund as well.

January 22, 2012 at 8:28 am
(495) Bugg says:

I am in the same boat as james above, i used my last paycheck stub. Then the next day i got my w2 , there was a 400$ difference in my gross. The money was in my favorite i reported to much. Will the irs fix this and them i send in a 1040x after i get my refund? Also will this hold up my refund any? Irs show ill have a direct desopit on or before jan 31.


January 24, 2012 at 12:29 am
(496) William Perez says:

You should revise your tax return by sending in an amended return. The IRS won’t fix the mistake themselves if the error is in your favor. On your amended return, be prepared to wait 8 to 12 weeks for the additional refund.

January 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm
(497) olivia howell says:

I put the wrong amount for my taxable wages when I was filing my taxes. I put that out taxable wages were 43,710.54 when it is actually 42,006.54 What do I do?

January 25, 2012 at 12:19 am
(498) Katherine says:

Hi, I filed my taxes with turbo tax two night ago. This morning a friend that works at H &r block took a look at my w-2 form and saw I had stated 6 dependents! This is crazy because I wanted it 0 on state and 0 on federal. My payroll department at work sent me a copy of my w-4 and I did make a blind dumb mistake of writing in 1 in many boxes and then adding them up which equal to 6. Anyway, I am concerned now because my income was 14608.20 and i did not get withheld anything federal. I only had 232.60 withheld from state. I should be receiving 4090.00 as a return. I am unsure of what to do. I already fixed my w-2 for 2012. But should I contact the IRS? Im already going to make an amend because turbo shortened me 700 and I want to get that, but I do not want trouble! Please help! From Massachusetts by the way

January 25, 2012 at 3:40 am
(499) William Perez says:

Katherine, I’m a bit unsure of what’s going on in your situation. Did you have a balance owing to the IRS when you prepared your tax return? Or did you have a refund?

January 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm
(500) Alison says:

I have a few questions.. And I’m very confused. Here’s as small of a run-down I can give; My husband was active duty army from 2008 until Nov 2011. We lived at Ft. Bragg in NC. We filed 2010 taxes married filing separately because I worked in both NC and TN in 2010 for the same company. In Oct 2011 we moved back to our home of record – Tennessee. I was in NC because my spouse had orders to be there. (covered underneath the military spouses act?) I worked in NC in 2011 from Jan- March. I was laid off, I received a settlement from the company. I started collecting unemployment. My husband and I have 2 children, both are from our previous marriages. They both live with us full time. I have not received my W2, my husband has his. Can we go ahead and file, and amend once I receive mine to report my wages as well? Or do we need to wait? Our current situation warrants us to need to file asap, whether it’s together or separately, however I’ve run the numbers and I see we will receive a bigger refund if we file jointly…. And state return.. I’m assuming I need to file that separately so as not to effect my husband there?? Thanks so much, and I look forward to your response!

January 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm
(501) Chris says:

The guy at JH filed my taxes under married instead of single head of house hold for my last year taxes how can i fix it with out getting in trouble

January 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(502) Michelle says:

What if I just realized after 12 years that my SS# is incorrect at my work? So it has been wrong on my W-2 for the past 12 years.

January 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(503) abbasgirl says:

I just sent in my 2010 taxes via HR Block online. The next day I recieved an ammended W2 from my employer with a change in the Social Security withholdings amount. How can they change the reporting like that and what do I need to do to fix it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

January 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(504) William Perez says:

Abbasgirl, it sounds like your employer revised the amounts reported on your W2 so that your W2 is now correct. Social Security withholding does not usually have an impact on your federal income tax return. It would have an impact on your income tax return in either of these two situations: 1) you worked two or more jobs and earned more than the Social Security wage base of $106,800 (for 2011); or 2) you have self-employed income in addition to wage income. If either of these situations applies to you, then you might want to review your tax return. Otherwise, there’s not going to be a change on your federal return.

January 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm
(505) Robin says:

Hi I fiked my taxes a few days ago and my husband received a w2 today he didnt know he was getting ..its only for $15.50..do i still have to ammend my taxes or just hold onto the w2..the irs already accepted my return

January 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(506) William Perez says:

Robin, although it sounds like a lot of work, I would recommend preparing an amended return. That way your tax return will be complete and your refund will be accurately stated. Notice that I say to prepare an amended return. From the amended return you’ll be able to tell two things: if your income tax liability has changed, and if there’s any additional amount due or additional refund due (or zero change). If there’s zero change to the refund/balance due, then you don’t need to mail in the amended return. If there is a change, it’s best to file your amended return so that you’ll receive your additional refund or avoid any penalties on a balance due.

January 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm
(507) Robin says:

sorry about my last comment the first line should read ..i did my taxes a few days ago

January 27, 2012 at 11:58 am
(508) Julie says:

I efiled my taxes (both federal and state) and then realized I put the wrong property tax amount down. I just bought a house and july so of course we didn’t pay the full amount. How do i find out how much i actually paid, and what do i do to fix the returns? Federal has already been accepted but no word from state. The federal used the standard deduction instead of itemizing but the state used the property tax as a deduction. What do i do!!

January 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(509) William Perez says:

Julie, since your federal return has only the standard deduction, then you don’t need to amend the federal return. You can amend the state return to correct the property tax deduction.

January 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(510) Shana says:

Mr. Perez,
I just wanted to sincerely thank you for your time and consideration of my question; you’re doing a wonderful thing here taking your personal time to advise us without requesting compensation and we are all VERY grateful!

January 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(511) William Perez says:

You are quite welcome, Shana. I appreciate your kind words.

January 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm
(512) Ahmed says:

I mailed in my tax returns and I forgot to have my wife sign and date the forms. Should I resend them or wait to be contacted?

January 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm
(513) William Perez says:

Ahmed, the IRS will return the tax forms to you unprocessed and ask that all taxpayers sign the return.

January 30, 2012 at 6:23 am
(514) TC says:

I received my w-2 form last week from my employer. The Federal wages, Tips, etc. box showed the correct amount I made for the year. However, to my surprise, I looked at box 15 where State wages, tips, etc. should have mirrored the same amount as the federal wages. It didn’t. It was over $9,000 more than it should have been. On top of that, she left the social security number box blank! Needless to say, I was very upset and called my employer who realized that when she filled out the w-3 form (summary), she accidentally added the amount of another employee to mine and put it in that box. So now I have two different wages on one form. A HUGE mistake! Now I’m left wondering how this can be fixed to reflect the correct amount since she already sent the information to the IRS yesterday. I have to say, I’m very stressed over this since I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before and I make sure everything is correct before I file. Will this be a big problem for me, or can it be easily remedied? Will I be audited for this since my employer already filed the inncorrect amounts?

January 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm
(515) William Perez says:

Have your employer correct your W2, and then use the correct amounts when filing your taxes.

January 30, 2012 at 7:38 am
(516) Dallas says:

Just so I understand youíre above article. When you say: “You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors, as the IRS computers will fix math errors automatically.” Does that apply to a calculated federal withholding error on my 2011 tax return? I used the wrong IRS chart when figuring the federal withholding only; the Social Security and Medicare are correct.

January 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm
(517) William Perez says:

You should correct the amount claimed as withholding, since the IRS’s computer systems will not get around to performing that cross-check until at least the summer (typically). It’s best to get this correction done prior to the April 17, 2012, deadline so as to avoid any interest charges.

January 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(518) Rosa says:

I noticed that on my 2011 refund, my tax guy put the wrong federal tax withhold, meaning i got a higher refund. Should I wait until IRS sends me a letter or should i do a 1040x? He told me to wait until IRS send me a letter beofre i send the 1040 X.

January 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm
(519) William Perez says:

You should revise your tax return and file the Form 1040X along with any supporting documentation. Wait to file this amended return until after your refund has been received, but do file it before the deadline of April 17, 2012, to avoid any penalties or interest. The IRS’s computer systems won’t catch the mismatch until your W2s are loaded into their system and cross-checked against your return; this usually happens in the summer, after the first deadline has passed.

January 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm
(520) Dana says:

So last year myh usband filed our taxes. Well his. I’m a stay at home wife and mother but have a school debt I owe for. So they took some. This year he went ahead filed again knowing I owe he kept me off and file seperate but put our son on his tax claim. Well now I receive a 1098 . How do I go about filing for this if I have no income for myself this past year since I’m a stay at home mom nd he claimed our son. What do I do??? HELP!

January 31, 2012 at 12:44 am
(521) William Perez says:

Dana, here’s what I see in your situation. Filing separately, in your particular situation, prevents your husband’s tax refund (if any) from being diverted by the federal government to pay down an outstanding student loan debt. However, with a separate filing, each reports his or her own income and own deductions. The deduction for mortgage interest and property tax are deductible by the owner of the property. So if he’s not on title to the property, he’s not going to get the deductions. There’s an exception, though. And that’s if you are living in a community property state. In community property states, spouses by law share income and deductions. So the possible solutions to your question are: 1) see if community property rules applies to your situation; 2) file jointly so you guys can get the deductions (but the refund will be used to pay down your student loans); or 3) keep your tax return the way it is now (separate filing and your husband doesn’t get the deductions).

January 31, 2012 at 10:48 am
(522) Dana says:

OK we did that. Filed seperately. But my question is how do I file the 1098 if I have no income. Do I notify IRS aalnd aware them that I haven’t worked in 3 years. I’m looking to set up a payment plan with them but I know I have to do something with this 1098 I received.

January 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(523) JJ says:

I filed my 1040EZ last week and should be receiving around $1000 refund, after I mailed it out I realized I forgot to include a $2000 income from another job that i had in 2011 Jan. I did the math again and it came out to be that I should only get $800 instead of $1000. Should I be filing 1040X right now and attach a check of $200? Or after they see my 1040x they would just deposit $800 in my account?


February 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(524) Chris says:

My wife e filed her taxes and got accepted by the irs, but just relized she used the ein of the corprate office instead of her branch. Will this stop our refund and what should we do?

February 2, 2012 at 6:33 am
(525) leon says:

I was claimed as a dependent and now I have to ammend it by changing my status. I know I have to fill out form 1040x, but how do I go about changing it? Also, what else should I include when mailing it besides the form?

February 2, 2012 at 11:17 am
(526) Margo says:

I just found a stack of tickets I did not include in my sales tax total that I filed on Jan 19. How do I re-file with the correct amt? This is about a
$2,300.00 mistake made on both state and parish (county) tax forms for sales in the month of Dec. 2011? Also, I took the discount for filing before the 20th of the month. 1% for on and 1.1% for one. HELP!

February 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(527) Ashley says:

I e-filed my taxes and I received my w-2 and the ein and employer name is not the same as I filed for some reason, it was the same company I worked for the year before. How do I correct this? I already filed and will be getting my taxes soon. All the amounts added up correct though.

February 3, 2012 at 11:02 am
(528) Ken says:

I want to file my taxes today but I have stock sales/purchases for 2011 that I need to wait weeks to get from my broker. I see that my gain loss was -1000. can I just put that is as my capital loss without putting in my 1099B then send it in later or should I just file without any information the file an amended return in the future?

February 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(529) William Perez says:

It’s best to wait and file after you have all your brokerage data available.

February 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm
(530) ASHA0601 says:

I efiled my taxes online based off of my last check stub of the year. I am on salary and have had the same job for 2 years, and i did it that way last year and my totals came up right, but this year, my withholdings i calculated off of my check stubbs were different than the what was on my W2. this made an 800 difference in my refund, meaning really i should be getting 800 dollars less than what i efiled, I am going to HnR block to do an amendment. My main question is, how long is this going to tie up my refund. Someone told me it could take up to 3 months for the amendment to go through, so does that mean it will be up to three months before i get my return? or will they send what i origionally filed, and i send back what i wasnt suppose to get>?

February 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(531) William Perez says:

Asha, your understanding is correct. The IRS will process the return you just e-filed, and will send you the refund that you calculated. What for that refund to arrive before sending in your amendment, but in the meantime you can prepare your amended return. If you may need to pay the IRS if turns out that your tax liability is larger than you had originally calculated. The IRS says they process amended returns in “8 to 12 weeks”, but my experience is that amended returns usually take much longer to process, especially if there are some complicated changes to make.

February 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm
(532) aizel says:

hi i hope you can give me the best answer..

here’s my situation my husband is currently working in military and he stationed here at hawaii and he is a US citizen and he filed petition for us(me and our son) and we are from philippines and we just came here last year of august..

my son had already a green card holder and SSN..

my question is can my husband claim our son for his tax return?…

and we already filed the tax return as a married jointly but we a little dissapointed because the agency said my husband cant be able to claim of his son because our son cant stay at least half of the year with my husband… what are we going to do..pls reply thankz….

February 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(533) cg says:

OK so I filed my return for my federal and already received my refund. By then. I got additional tax documents that I didn’t know I was getting. So now I have to file an amended return. Can I still use my refund that I have?

February 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm
(534) William Perez says:

CG, you may need to pay back some of your refund if the additional income results in a larger tax liability. To be on the safe side, don’t spend any of your tax refund until you’ve prepared your amended return and see if you need to pay anything to the IRS.

February 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(535) mike says:

why did the irs give me some of my refund and wants further review before giving back the full amount is this a audit if so is it common that they givel some of my rrefund before the process is finished

February 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(536) mike says:

why did the irs give me some of my refund and wants further review before giving back the full amount is this a audit if so is it common that they givel some of my rrefund before the process is finished

February 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(537) William Perez says:

Mike, this typically occurs if the IRS needs to conduct additional reviews over refundable tax credits such as EIC or child tax credit.

February 5, 2012 at 11:15 am
(538) juli says:

Hi, please help me out! I already filed my tax return for 2011 and then received another W-2 for disability benefits (i was pregnant) . I didn’t know I will receive them separate from original W-2s. What should I do?

February 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(539) SuzyJ says:

A previous employer of mine was acquired by another firm and cashed me out of a profit-sharing plan, about $8,200 gross with about $1,600 federal taxes withheld from the check. I did not know they were going to do this until I got a 1099 form sent to me in 2011. Immediately I investigated and discovered that I was supposed to receive the check in 2010, but somehow the check got lost; the plan administrator showed that I had not cashed the check so reissued me another check in 2011, for the same net amount as the first check, but this time not withholding any fed taxes because they had already been withheld on the first check. So because I had to wait for the reissued check in 2011, I didn’t report this income on my 2010 return. I thought I would receive a revised 1099 form for 2011 but now the plan admin is telling me no, I won’t because they did not withhold any taxes from the check cut in 2011.

Do I have to file an amended 2010 return to report this income that I did not receive until I got a check in 2011? I’m afraid of what I might owe in interest/penalties when I was simply trying to do my best and do the right thing based on when I received the income. I really thought I would get another 1099 for 2011 but so far am not getting one.

Do I have any other alternatives? Many many thanks if you can help!

February 6, 2012 at 2:57 am
(540) Rodney says:

I accidently hit the wrong number and put in 50 more dollars in the federal withholding tax box on my return causing me to receive back 50.00 more than I should have on my return. I efiled my returned and didnt notice the mistake until I printed out my return. My refund has not been accepted yet. Will this cause my refund to be delayed and if it doesn’t what should I do to keep from getting audited?

February 6, 2012 at 4:09 am
(541) William Perez says:

Rodney, prepare an amended return to correct the mistake. Then, wait for the IRS to send you your refund. Once your refund has been received, mail in your amended return along with a check for $50.

February 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(542) YZ says:

I e-filed my federal return and it has been accepted. Now, I received a 1098-T Tuition statement that I had forgotten about (I had filled out the Tuition Expenses section using other university documents). I have made the necessary changes and completed the amended return; it shows that I (still) do not owe the IRS anything. When I made the changes online, it showed me that my tax refund increased by $316; however, when I printed the amended form, the new refund is not listed. Does this mean that when I file the amended return, I will not receive that additional money? Or will the IRS know that I have an additional $316 that needs to be returned? (I am currently waiting for my initial refund to come in, and from my knowledge I shouldn’t worrying about cashing that because I still don’t owe the IRS, and my tax refund should have only increased, not decreased…correct?)

February 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm
(543) William Perez says:

YZ, Your additional tax refund should show up on line 20 of the current version of Form 1040X (revised as of 12/2011).

February 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(544) chaz says:

I filed my 2010 return in 2011. I received a refund. I mistakenly didnt include the 1099 from unemployment. Ireceived approximately $9300 and had taxes taken out. I got a letter from the IRS saying I owe $2300. Should I file my 2011 return and then amend last years? Why do I owe so much?

February 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(545) William Perez says:

Chaz, go ahead and file your 2011 return (if you want) and in the mean time prepare an amended return for 2010 so that you can compare the IRS’s calculation of your tax with your own calculation. If both your numbers and the IRS’s numbers match up, then the IRS’s assessment of your tax is correct and all you need to do is figure a way to pay. If your numbers are lower than the IRS’s numbers (and this is frequently the case), then file your amended return. The IRS will then correct their figures.

February 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(546) Jake says:

I e-filed my 2011 return and it was accespted. However I was married this past year and filed jointly. I only entered my wifes information on the return. Am i going to need to ammend this or file another separate return for myself?


February 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(547) William Perez says:

Jake, you have two options. (1) Your wife can amend her tax return to separate filing status and report just her income and deductions. And then you would file your own separate return. Or (2) you can amend the tax return to include both of your incomes and deductions (that is, keep it a joint return). The deadline for deciding in favor of option 1 is April 17, 2012.

February 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(548) Bryan Reeder says:

I e-filed my 2011 return (getting a refund). IRS accepted it. Talking with daughter later, I realized that she earned about $900 from a job. I listed her as a dependent on my return and did not include her w-2. What do I do?

February 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(549) Mindy says:

HI, My husband and I filed our taxes on February 1, 2012. We were eligible for the adoption credit as my husband adopted my child last year. On our taxes, we used his new name as apposed to his ‘old’ name. However, after mailing the return I realized that I had not changed his name yet through social security; thus he still legally has his old name. So, his name will not match his ss # on the taxes…what should I do? Will we have a delay in our return?

February 9, 2012 at 12:27 am
(550) Mari says:

If my tax preparer put down my.incorret job tittle in my income tax form will that be a broblem?

February 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(551) ps101 says:

Hi, I made less than 5,000 from unemployment and didn’t need to file a return. However, I did file because I was due a refund anyway. I’ve already received my refund, however, I then just noticed that I didn’t report a w-2 (from a class action suit settlement) which amounts to 14 dollars. After doing some recalculation to include the $14, it turns out that I still will not owe any taxes, but actually get an additional $4 dollar refund. Should I file a 1040X? Thanks.

February 10, 2012 at 12:11 am
(552) William Perez says:

PS101, you should file an amendment if you want that additional $4 refund. The IRS won’t automatically alert you to the fact that you’re due an additional refund.

February 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm
(553) Hui says:

I filed and got a refund for 2011 tax already. However, I received two 1099-c forms for cancellation of debt. Do I go ahead to file an amand or wait till IRS to send my a letter notice?

February 10, 2012 at 12:13 am
(554) William Perez says:

Hui, go ahead and amend your return by the April 17th, 2012, deadline so as to avoid any penalties if it turns out that there’s tax on the cancellation of debt. The IRS won’t send out letters informing you there might be something left off your return until later in the year (and well after the deadline).

February 10, 2012 at 7:59 pm
(555) maria says:

I filed my taxes but my mom was suppose to claim me As well but I put she couldn’t claim me and now she can’t file her taxes is there a way I can got back and fix that?

February 12, 2012 at 12:52 am
(556) james says:

if i filed my stepson as (son) as a mistake ,can that be fixed?

February 12, 2012 at 2:53 am
(557) William Perez says:

James, that’s not a mistake. Stepchildren are your children for tax purposes.

February 12, 2012 at 11:37 am
(558) RA says:

Used the same tax program as last year, I did my return as well as my in college daughters and e-filed both. My daugters return was excepted by the IRS, mine were rejected. It seems when the program uploaded the previous years information it did not place and X on the “dependent status” of my daughters 1040ez . I know I will have to amend her return, should I try to amend before she receives her refund? How long will this process take before my 1040 return is excepted and I can claim her as a dependent?

February 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm
(559) Kyle says:

I just had to amend my 2010 taxes due to an incorrect filing. Last year, I received a refund, and this amendment would reduce that refund. On my 2011 filing, should I make the correction when reporting the refund I received or will I receive an adjustment form next year?

February 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(560) Wendya says:

I have a $6000 deductible for my family health Insurance with an HSA account. I put in money and so does my employer up to a certain amount pretax. On form 8889 do I enter $6150 on line 3 since we are all under age 55 and covered all year long?

If this is the case I have not done this the last couple years so how do I amend for this? Please help.

February 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(561) Ericka says:

I thought i had all my w-2′s but i didnt once i e-filed my return ($6,560) i receieved another w-2 3 days later. I entered the information that was on my w-2 and it made it differnce ($6,349) I would like to get it over with and send an amended return with payment of what i owe. Do i owe them $211.00 or more?

February 14, 2012 at 1:06 am
(562) JS says:

I qualified for the maximum foreign earned income exclusion for 2008-2010, owed zero taxes and filed all of my tax returns with the 2555-EZ. I forgot to include foreign interest income of less than $1700 (I just got the exact amounts from bank 1 this year, but bank 2 won’t respond to my inquiries). And I calculated the exchange rate using the Dec 31 rate rather than the annual average exchange rate (which is more favorable). Accounting for these changes, my net change is still $0 and I still owe no taxes because of the 2555-EZ exclusion. Do I need to file an amended tax return for 2008-2010? Do I include a schedule B for the interest income and a new 2555-EZ with the correct exchange rate amount? Can I include an estimate of the interest income for bank 2 that won’t respond? Thank you.

February 17, 2012 at 2:23 am
(563) William Perez says:

JS, my answer to your questions is yes. You should amend to report the additional interest income, especially if the end result is zero tax. This way the IRS cannot argue that you failed to report any interest income. As for estimating your interest from bank 2, I think that’s a reasonable approach if you’ve been unable to obtain the exact figures from the bank. Just be sure to note that that amount is an estimate, and explain your method of estimation in a note attached to your return.

February 14, 2012 at 11:16 am
(564) Stephanie says:

I did not know about the refundable adoption credit until this year. I adopted my son in 2008 and my daughter in 2010. Even though in 2008 the credit was non refundable it was carried over and can be refunded now. Is the three year amendment deadline in effect on the 2008? Can it be amended anytime because it carried? Or will it be next year because I was supposed to make the claim in 2009? Also, how would you go about filing this? Would it be amending 2009 and 2010 and sending in the adoption decrees? Your expertise would be most appreciated.

February 15, 2012 at 10:57 am
(565) Sudheer says:

I did not include my child in last year’s tax calculation, he was born on 28th December. Can I submit the amendment to receive child tax credit?

February 15, 2012 at 11:11 am
(566) Amber says:

I received a w-2 from a employer that i never actually worked for.they hired me but i ended up working for someone else.however they sent me a check and w-2 after filing. the amount on the w-2 is 19.00.Do i need to file a amended return for this. If i do need to where do i get the forms to do so?

February 16, 2012 at 11:58 am
(567) Patrick says:

Hi I just received my tax return from my accountant. I just checked my email and had a notice of a 1099 that was ready to view. I totally forgot about a stock total dividend was $72.00. My accountant said he was very busy and would send an amendment after 4/17. Does it make much of a difference should I try and get him to change it now or wait to later. Also would a small error and/or amendment cause any red flags?


February 17, 2012 at 9:36 am
(568) ASHA0610 says:

Ok i asked a question before about my refund, and the irs did as you said and sent the origional filed return. I entered my figures in wrong from my w-2 and this made my return 722.00 more than it was suppose to be. As i said i have received my return, now im wanting to file an ammendment. I dont understand this paperwork AT ALL. should i just mail in a copy of what i origionally filed and a copy of what should have been filed, because when i do the amendment on h n r blocks website, it is making it look like i dont owe the irs anything, because i went in and corrected my figures before doing the amendment… I dont want to end up oweing 7000 for 700.. Please help

February 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(569) Crystal says:

We already filed our taxed and have 3 kids all of their ss# are correct on the 1040 form, we also filed the child and dependent care expenses for 2 of our kids and i noticed i put the wrong SS# on one of the kids. What do i need to do? Will we still get our refunded or will it get rejected?

February 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(570) Dorothy says:

Do I need to send an amended return if I entered the wrong amount in box 14 of the W-2. I believe this is just medical costs for the employer?

February 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm
(571) William Perez says:

Dorothy, no amendment is needed in that situation as it won’t change any of the amounts shown on your 1040.

February 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm
(572) victor says:

Will I have a problem with the IRS if my tax preparer added my second last name to my son’s? He only has my first last name. I let the tax preparer know and she told me there won’t be a problem. any thoughts?

February 19, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(573) William Perez says:

The IRS’s computers match last name and first name and SSN against the SSA’s social security database. If there’s a mismatch, the tax return will be rejected for electronic filing, giving you and your preparer the opportunity to correct the entry. The way the matching works is by using the first four letters of the last name plus the first letter of the first name, plus the SSN. So adding a second surname usually won’t trip the system. However, you should be sure to correct the name on future tax filings.

February 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(574) Joe says:

Hello, I filed electronically earlier, but just realized that the tax withheld that I listed on the W2 sheet is wrong (missing a digit and so it is grossly under the actual withholdings) – will the IRS catch this, and likely reject my e-filing? Should I try to “re-file” ? The IRS may be tipped off to this problem ahead of time, because the 1040 sheets I submitted have the correct withholdings amount. Thanks!

February 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm
(575) William Perez says:

Joe, the IRS’s computers are unlikely to ‘catch’ this error until later this year. You should wait to see if your electronically filed return is accepted. If so, wait for that return to finish being processed and then send in an amended return by the April 17th deadline.

February 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(576) Joe says:

Thanks William – I need the refund money that is due to me in light of the CORRECT withholdings amount! Can I “re-file” now, before my first filing is processed/accepted? I can’t afford to wait so long to receive my refund!

February 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm
(577) Joe says:

I guess the key question is which form will be followed to determine my withholdings, the 1040 I filled out (preferable, as it correctly indicates I am due a refund), or the (incorrect) W2 sheet I filled out (which has such a low withholding amount as to indicate I owe a balance)? Thanks and sorry for multiple postings!

February 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(578) Joe says:

FYI the first filing was rejected, due to the discrepancy of withholdings figures on the W2 versus the 1040 – good new for me! I can re-file to ensure that the correct withholdings is listed, putting me squarely in the “rebate” category (for hopefully quicker processing). Thanks for the feedback!

February 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(579) Justin says:

I have no idea why but the state of Arkansas keeps taking my return check. I need to find out what it is about my 2008 state tax return that is costing me? I always get a return check and now I owe? FOR WHAT EXACTLY??? PLEASE HELP

February 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm
(580) Caitlyn says:

I have already printed my tax returns and I just noticed that I messed up my SSN. How do i fix that?

February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(581) William Perez says:

If you haven’t filed your tax returns, Caitlyn, simply revise your SSN. If you have filed your tax returns electronically, wait for the IRS to reject your e-file, and then correct your SSN and then re-submit the e-file.

February 21, 2012 at 1:11 am
(582) evan says:

Hi, two weeks ago I filed my returns on my own and just recievced my return direct deposited, but when I spoke with my parents and sister they said they all filed together and that I could have received a lot more if I filed with them. What can I do about this?

February 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(583) raquel fuentes says:

i had an income of $1,200 from a previous job and $11,000 from unemployment compensation, why is it that my EIC is only $600 if i have four children but three under the age of 17years of age! was my taxes done incorrectly by the preparer?

February 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(584) William Perez says:

The earned income credit is based on your earned income, which is your income from wages or self-employment. Thus your earned income credit would be based on $1200 of wage income.

February 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm
(585) Jamila3wld says:

I have summited my 2011 tax return already and it is processing I did not recurve my tax return nor an direct deposit date yet. I found out i could have claim the money I pay for my nieces care I didn’t no and I qualify for more deductions and credits that I didn’t claim on my e-file . So what do I do or can I claim these credits and deductions next year , how should I go about this

February 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(586) Jamila says:

I already e- filed my 2011 return I wanted to no how do I get the credits I did not claim that I didn’t no I should have such as my child care expenses I didn’t no I could claim that what do I do I have not gotten a refund back yet and I but it is processing can I cliam these credits next year ?

February 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(587) Eden Alexander says:

I filed electronically and I stupidly checked single instead of head of household ( I am single parent of 1 sole and full custody) did I just screw myself?!

February 22, 2012 at 3:24 am
(588) Tim Coppens says:

Do you think I need to amend my return if my dollar amount was off by one dollar on my fed income? I made a mistake and rounded up two dollars.

February 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(589) gk says:

Hi, I already filed my tax forms and they’ve been accepted. I just found a 1099-INT form I didn’t account for. It’s nominal – something like $11 interest, $3 of federal tax withheld. Do I need to refile for such a small amount?

February 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(590) greg brown says:

How do I report a cost basis declaration mistake.

Bunch of sales on one stock went thru as fifo instead of lifo and it REALLY makes the calculations complex where as didnt think much of the cost basis cause I thought it started in 2012 but now I see the error in my thinking so my broker says they cant change what is reported. My question is can I make the adjustmet to lifo from fifo as long as I report it correctly??

February 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm
(591) Sandy says:

An employee got paid as an advance in 2009 and in 2010. In stead of paying back the money to the company, he didn’t put in for a commission on a deal that equaled the amount of the debt. That wasn’t discovered until now. He refuses to let us 1099 him on that now because he makes twice as much money now. He is no longer our employee. He agrees that there were about $4500.00 in advances this way, but he refuses to believe that there was another $9000 of advances that never went through payroll. I see the point that it is unfair to 1099 him because then there is no social security match, and he has penalties. He also refuses to do amended tax returns and wants to just pay us $1500.00 cash to be “even”. How can I fix these errors?

February 28, 2012 at 4:20 am
(592) William Perez says:

Sandy, you’ll need to discuss this with your company’s tax advisor. Some issues I can think of, off the top of my head, are he shouldn’t be issued a 1099 because he wasn’t an independent contractor. His services were as an employee. Advances typically go through payroll, I would think, so were taxes already paid on this amount? Your company’s CPA may have other suggestions for how to resolve this situation.

February 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(593) Robert says:

I’m a employee of a small moving company.I get paid weekly on a payroll check that has my employee number on it.The two crooked
people that own the business insist that myself and about 20 other employees are independant contractors.We all received 1099s not w-2s,so I filed form ss-8 to let the IRS determine my status.In the meen time the owners fraudulently applied for EIN numbers for myself and all the other employees.I got a letter from the IRS thanking me for applying and they gave me an EIN. I NEVER APPLIED!
Should I report these people to the local police for fruad or what do I do?

February 28, 2012 at 7:54 am
(594) Lara says:

Hi, I went to have my taxes done to a place that was recommeded by a friend. I was so excited that they were able to get me more money back than what H and R block was going to get me. So I went a head and sign the paperworks without paying attention. Nonetheless, when I got home and study the paperworks it seems to me that they had claimed I had some business loses of 13,000. First, I don’t even have any business of any kind. How is that possible that they are able to put that on my 1040. My question is, What can I do to correct this mess? Should I call IRS???? I filed on February 15, 2012 and so far when I checked on where’s my refund, it said that they have no information yet about my claim.. PLEASE HELPPPPP

February 28, 2012 at 8:04 am
(595) William Perez says:

Lara, please make an appointment with a tax attorney, CPA or enrolled agent to have them review your tax return and make recommendations. This sounds like a case of fraud on the part of the tax preparer, and that’s an extremely serious issue. I’d first talk to a CPA/enrolled agent to review the return and make any necessary corrections, and then talk to an attorney about how to protect yourself from the IRS and what can be done about the tax preparer.

February 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(596) worriedtaxpayer says:

i recently filed for my 2011 taxes and i had a date to recieve my taxes but i didnt file last years taxes cause i owed the irs 6 dollars so when i filled this years i recieved partial of the amount but i didnt recive money for my dependent they are asking for additional information what could this mean was my eic rejected sould i ammend it and refile all my taxes can the withhold partial of my income tax till i file 2010

March 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm
(597) janard pang says:

i have to file my fed w2 for the State of Hawaii & Virginia, can i send them both together to the same Department of Treasury?

March 3, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(598) Stephen says:

I just went to VITA for tax refund and I believe they calculate wrong for my tax refund. I am 23 years old, no kids and my last year income was less than $100,000. Should I make a new 1040Z and 1040X to send to IRS or 1040 and 1040X(VITA used 1040 for my tax refund.) Thank you

March 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(599) William Perez says:

You could ask VITA to fix their calculation mistake and prepare an amended return for you. If you prepare you’re own amendment, you’ll need to use the long form 1040 along with the amended return Form 1040-X.

March 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm
(600) Richard G. says:

How can you correct the social security number on a federel estimated tax payment that has already been sent? How can I get the payment credited to the correct social security number? Is there some amended or corrected form that can be filed ? Thank you

March 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(601) William Perez says:

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to discuss the situation with them.

March 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm
(602) Laurel says:

When I started my taxes a few weeks ago, I completed the state-only free efile tax return because I was prompted to online and it was quick and easy. At that point, my husband and I were planning to file as married filing separately because I did not have access to his information and it seemed simpler to handle our own information. Since his income was required for the federal returns, I waited until he was ready with his information, but we ran into problems calculating the adjustments when filing separately. He scratched his information and submitted it all as married filing jointly and paid turbotax for filing state & federal. I already received my refund for my state return filing separately- how can I correct the duplicate state file? I’d like to undo the state efile I initially completed and stick with the jointly filed state & federal.

March 6, 2012 at 1:46 am
(603) Hannah says:

I recently filed my state taxes electronically. It was my first time doing so, and for some odd reason, when the asked me my prior years federal returns adjusted gross income, I assumed it was 2010. It was actually 2011, and I entered an amount 2000 dollars less than what was actually true. What should I do and will I have to pay something for this since I really made 2000 dollars more than I entered?

March 6, 2012 at 2:33 am
(604) William Perez says:

Your prior year would be your 2010 adjusted gross income, since that was the year prior to this tax return, which is 2011. I don’t expect this to cause you any problems. Prior year AGI is used to validate your identity for the purpose of signing the tax return electronically. If for some reason the number didn’t match, the IRS would reject the e-file and ask you to re-submit the return.

March 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(605) Vivian says:

I just noticed that my SSN is off by one digit on a W-2 from 2007 and 2008 for a part-time position I had that didn’t earn more than $5000. I didn’t get any bounce backs on my tax return from the IRS at the time when I filed with my correct SSN. Do I still need to ask that employer to reissue a corrected W-2?

March 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm
(606) William Perez says:

Yes, it is important for the correct SSN to show up on the W2, otherwise your withholdings will get credited to the account with the incorrect SSN.

March 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(607) cody says:

Got a letter from the irs saying I didn’t claim $14000 in unemployment wages but after some investigation I realized I filled the wages as if it was a w2 what do I do to fix this

March 11, 2012 at 12:14 am
(608) William Perez says:

Write a letter back to the IRS in response to the CP-2000 notice you received and explain that you mistakenly reported this as wages instead of as unemployment benefits. The IRS should be able to see this for themselves, so hopefully they will agree with your response and not adjust your tax liability.

March 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm
(609) Barbara says:

I am separated from my husband and I had filed single last year. What will happen? And what can I do to correct this?

March 13, 2012 at 2:36 am
(610) William Perez says:

Are you legally separated, or just living apart,Barbara? If your not legally separated or divorced, then you’ll want to amend your return to correct your filing status to married-filing-separately. Or you might be eligible for the more advantageous head of household status.

March 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm
(611) Evangeline says:

My brother lived with me for nine months last year and with our parents for the rest of the year. I did not file him as a dependant neither did my parents. Can I still go back and amend my taxes to claim him?

March 13, 2012 at 2:27 am
(612) William Perez says:

It’s quite possible you can claim your brother, Evangeline. You’ll first want to review the criteria for dependents, which fall into two categories: either qualifying child or qualifying relative. If you meet either set of criteria with respect to your brother, you can add him as a dependent and receive an additional refund from the IRS.

March 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm
(613) CarmenC says:

I forgot to include a 1099 DIV statement on my 2010 return but I had a loss from a sale of stock. Now I got a letter from the IRS saying I owe them $7000 in taxes from the 1099 div I didn’t report. It was a long term stock that I sold in 2010 but I had a loss of $1000. Does the IRS gets reported the basis of my stock? I will amend my return and re-send to IRS but I’m not sure if that will be enough or I will get penalized for not reporting it on my tax return. Anay advice?

March 13, 2012 at 2:24 am
(614) William Perez says:

IRS does not receive cost basis information for stock sales occurring in 2010. Accordingly, you’ll want to amend your 2010 tax return to add in the stock sale, its basis, and take the loss as a deduction against your income. This should result in an additional refund from 2010. The IRS won’t penalize you if there’s additional refund monies coming. Hope this helps!

March 14, 2012 at 12:38 am
(615) Sherwin says:

When I filed my taxes for Wisconsin, in the LEGAL RESIDENCE (DOMICILE) QUESTIONNAIRE, I wrongly chose the option 3 – part time resident “Changed legal residence to Wisconsin from (state) on (date) during 2011;” I should have entered option 4 – Was a nonresident of Wisconsin for all of 2011. Resident of “India” since I’m a non immigrant (H1B visa). How can I correct this ?

March 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(616) julia says:

my husband(separated) claimed the kids for both 2010 and 2011. i just found out i have the legal right for these years and he doesn’t. they lived with me alone for three months both years with out child support. the rest of the time it was shared custody. i didn’t file my 2011 taxes yet but did for 2010. i really need the money. i owe the irs.this would pay them with a little left. please advice

March 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm
(617) William Perez says:

Julia, there’s not enough information in your question for me to provide you with an answer. You should take your situation to a tax professional who can review all the criteria for dependents and help you claim all the tax deductions and credits you qualify for.

March 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(618) mihaela says:

Hi file my 2011 e-form and i put the wrong amount of my 1099 .,i tax for 7099 but i’m going to receive 1099 for 7192.Please what to do?

March 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(619) Ray says:

I was not required to file in 2006, but the IRS seems to have done it and not given any allowed deductions (wife and 6 kids) and is now saying I owe over 6,000 and is keeping my 2011 refund and demanding more. I never received ANY notice of 2006 tax due and if I am reading right, I cannot get a transcript and file an amended return? How can I handle this? THANK YOU in advance for any and all suggestions

March 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(620) Dana says:

I forgot to include my alimony on my tax return for 2011. Do I have to file an amendment now or can I do it on next tax return for 2012?

March 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm
(621) Sumit says:

I filed my 2010 tax return with all the income included in it. The mistake I did was not to report my stock options on Schedule D as the income was already included in my W2 income. Now, I realised this later last year and till now was postponing it. Do you think I should amend my return now? It would not affect any numbers on my previous filed return. Please advise.

March 25, 2012 at 11:28 am
(622) MelindaJ says:

My sons forgot to check the box that said they could be claimed as dependents by us (parents). They have amended their taxes (and the IRS cashed the checks for the money owed) but our e-filed tax form is still being rejected. The IRS says we can’t claim them since they claimed themselves (that was before they sent in the amended forms). Do we need to send in their amended tax forms with our tax forms to show proof?

March 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm
(623) William Perez says:

Melinda, you will need to file your tax returns by mail so that the IRS can manually processing them.

March 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm
(624) scot0132 says:

I jointly own a home 50/50. We do our taxes separately. Doing my taxes this year, I just realized I deducted 100% of the mortgage inerest last year. So I collected almost 2K extra on my return. Should I file an ammendment to last years taxes to fix this? What kind of penalties can I expect?

March 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(625) Chuck0111 says:

I donated a vehicle in Dec 2011, which didn’t sell until Jan 2012, which is the correct tax year to take the deduction?
Thank you.

March 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm
(626) CpM says:

My question is, my mom claimed my dad as a dependent (she was paying for his prescriptions, doctor visits & medical insurance) but he was not living with her. She received a notice saying my dad had income that year so now she owes the IRS. Her tax preparer advised her she should file an amended return, but she really doesn’t know what they would be changing, if it would be her filing status or removing my dad as a dependent (if that can be done). She’s just afraid of going to prison! But honestly she did not know she shouldn’t list him as a dependent if he was not living with her.

March 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(627) William says:

I forgot to claim a very expensive Solar Energy installation that qualifies for a NYS credit on my taxes for 2010. I claimed it for the Fed, just not NYS. I don’t understand why my software did not transfer the info from the Fed to NYS it-255 form. Rather than file an Amendment to my NYS 2010 return. Can I just file it for this year?

April 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(628) Steve says:

I just e-filed my federal and state (CA) taxes last night, but as soon as I filed, I realized that I forgot to enter in my federal tax return that forgot to enter the amount I paid in estimated taxes for CA which amounted to $508. I correctly entered the amount I paid in estimated taxes for federal taxes, but goofed and didn’t enter the amount paid for my state estimated taxes. I used TurbTax to prepare my returns. Both the fed and state have already accepted my returns, according to an email I received.

When I went back into turbo tax and corrected my mistake, my federal refund is unchanged, but my state (CA) tax went from me owing $43 to receiving a refund of $465. To compound the problem, I set it up so that the state automatically pulls the $43 from my checking account. I know, not too smart. So my question is whether I should file amended federal and state returns, or if CA tax people will see the payment I made in estimated taxes for tax year 2011 (made in 2011) and send me a refund. Thanks!

April 3, 2012 at 2:03 am
(629) William Perez says:

Steve, your mistake is understandable. In fact, I’m surprised TurboTax didn’t ask which state your estimated tax payments applied to and then moved them over to the state return. In any event, CA will figure it out. There’s no need for you to file an amended return. Your payment of $43 will likely be processed, since that’s a fully automated process. The state in a few weeks will reconcile your tax liability and tax payments, then the FTB will mail you a letter and separately will mail you a refund check. The letter will say something to the effect that changes were made to your account, will then detail various account-related items, and calculate the amount owed to you. Expect this to occur in about a month or so. If CA hasn’t contacted you in, say, two months then give them a call.

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(630) Rebecca says:

I didn’t file form 8606 last year (2010 taxes), but I should have. It doesn’t change anything on my return. Do I file an amendment? Or do I just send in the completed form 8606 with a note? Thanks!

April 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(631) Jim says:

My question is about a capital loss carryforward. We formally had a tax accountant, that at the time we used her for our taxes thought was competent. In 2008 we had a capital loss carryover of -$16,186. In 2009 she correctly put -$13,186 on line 14 of the 1040 form, but for some reason has a figure of -$29,679 on line 15, on line 21 she correctly put the -$3,000 loss. In 2010 on 1040 line 14 she has put the -$26,679 amount & also has it on line 15, on line 21 it is still the -$3,000 loss carryforward.
My question is: shouldn’t the loss carryover amount have been -$10,186 on line14 of the 2010 1040 form? Also, by simple arithmetic for 2011 the figure on line 14 should be -$7,186, please correct me if I am wrong. Also, being that there was only the $3,000 carryover claimed, it appears to be a matter of her possibly putting a figure from a miscalculated worksheet for the $26,679 figure. Do I have to file an ammended form to correct those mistakes even tho the claimed carryover was still only the $3,000 allowed? Other than 2008 we had no other capital losses to claim. Please help, thank you.

April 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm
(632) Kari says:

i received a 1099-C from a debt that was written off and a 1098T for tuition i didn’t claim. Can i still amend for my tuition? I will be amending for the written off debt but wanted to add my tuition in as well.

April 4, 2012 at 1:21 am
(633) William Perez says:

Kari, you can report both revisions on a single amended return.

April 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(634) Stella Crump says:

I sent in and got a refund. Not I get an amended W2 form from the City for the $300 I received for working election day. It was told to us that unless you made over 500 or 600 dollars there would be not tax charges. What do I do now?

April 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(635) Cindy says:

I didn’t report my AMT carry over from 2008 to 2010, can I report it 2011?

April 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(636) William Perez says:

Yes you can, Cindy. But first it will be helpful to calculate the carryover amounts for the AMT Credit for the previous years so that you enter the correct amounts for 2011. Then, you may want to consider amending the previous years to include the AMT Credit form 8801.

April 5, 2012 at 1:31 am
(637) lucia says:

HI,I notice that there calculations error in my 2007 tax return .it was not my fault but the person who prepare it for me .acctualy it a big amount because I put the number again through HR block and it give me another refund .I know that to amend it shoul be within three years so it is expire since we are in2012 .is there any other possibility i can claim this?please help.

April 6, 2012 at 12:56 am
(638) William Perez says:

If the correcting error results in lower tax, be aware that there is a 3-year time limit for requesting refunds. The year 2007 is now closed for refunds. If correcting the error results in additional tax, you may amend to report the additional tax and send in payment.

April 5, 2012 at 10:31 am
(639) Curt says:

I received an updated cost basis form from Vanguard that decreased my total cost by $35 and therefore increased my short/long-term gains by $35. Can I report this next year somehow and not refile over a $35 error that will not change my proceeds at all?

April 6, 2012 at 12:39 am
(640) William Perez says:

Curt, if there’s no change in tax, I would not bother with amending the tax return.

April 12, 2012 at 1:53 am
(641) Leslie says:

I have filed my taxes but the tax preparer would not include my tuition as I did not have a recipt. I now have the needed information and would like to amend my taxes using the 1040X but I what lines do I use?

April 12, 2012 at 1:55 am
(642) scot0132 says:

I asked about fixing a problem with a previous return (2010)where I claimed too much mortgage interest(I forgot to half teh 1098 amount on the jointly paid for house). I ended up filing an ammended returns for both fed and state. I sent in checks and they were prompty cashed. I now realized I screwed up again. We refinanced last year and received two 1098 statements. I just realized I originally deducted the full ammount of the the larger 1098 and disregarded teh second. My ammended return devided the deduction in half. Now that I found the second 1098, the deduction should actually be somewhere in the middle. I assume I need to file yet another ammended return to get back my over repayment. Is that correct?
how long should I wait to file teh second ammendment?

April 13, 2012 at 10:27 am
(643) Nicole says:

Someone did my taxes for me but they messed it up..They put my self employment on the wrong line now the IRS is wanting me to send.all kind of W2.. how do I fix my self employment

April 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(644) Michelle says:

I have a couple of sad little stocks that lost money this year, and forgot to report them because they didn’t show up on the initial statement from my bank. I lost about $80. Do I have to file an amendment if I didn’t actually receive any income?

April 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(645) Dorothy Meyer says:

I used AARP free tax filing. I received 1099s and am a self employed contractor. I have deductions that I know are allowable and legitimate, but the AARP guy said they weren’t, I didn’t argue and allowed him to electronically file my return resulting in my owing $10,000+

When I left there I looked up the tax rules and they ARE ALLOWABLE. I spoke to someone they said I should have stopped the process. I didn’t. Can I file an amended return? My friend and I re-did my taxes and it showed I didn’t owe anything using a software program by H&R Block. Even if I owe less, it would be worth it to go to a paid expert, just don’t know what to do…


April 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(646) help says:

I filed my taxes but am not sure mystaus is correct. I filed Head of Household since i Supported my girlfriend for 10 months well she was in school. Is this right or should i have filed Single?

April 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(647) Elay says:

I have a sole proprietorship business with 2 employees.
I (the businses) pays for all health insurance costs for both employees and myself.

2011 total cost of insurance premium was around 14k

When I glanced over my 1040 Schedule C Part II (expenses),
I noticed that the tax preparer placed the 14k on line 15.
Line 15 is insurance but labeled as “other than health”

Now I’m worried about being audited.
Do health insurance for employees not qualify as a business expense?
And not, do I need to file a 1040x amendment immediately?

Thanks in advance for any helpful input!

April 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(648) Sharon Zenner says:

I left something off my 2011 tax return – I mis-placed the 1099-G info that should have been put on the first page of the 1040 Form – Line 10
that states Taxable refunds, credits, or offsets of state and local income taxes.

The amount that should have gone on that line was $208 a tax refund from 2010.

How do I get that form what website do I go to or what tax department do I call for that. I must do this at once and mail in certified, 2nd. day mail. I would so greatly appreciate the help. The tax office I had to my tax every year are now gone and I cannot ask a question.

April 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(649) Diana says:

I need to amend mine and my husbands tax returns from (me) SINGLE and him (HOH) to Married filing jointly. I know how to do amendments, but how can I COMBINE two returns?

April 28, 2012 at 3:24 am
(650) Ex Squared System says:

After looking at a few of the blog posts on your
site, I truly like your way of writing a blog.
I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future.
Please check out my web site too and tell me what you

May 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm
(651) shan says:

im not sure how to go about this, but there was a mistake done on my tax paper, it was filed single and it was suppose to be married how can i fix this?

May 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(652) marie says:

How do I correct the wrong direct deposit account for state refund.? I would prefer the check be mailed to home. I have tried calling but its only a refund status line.

May 11, 2012 at 1:32 am
(653) William Perez says:

Call your state tax agency (not the refund hotline, but a number where you can talk to an agent). You’ll need to get them to convert your refund to a paper check. If it’s not possible for the state to convert it to a paper check, then you’ll need to work directly with the bank.

May 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(654) jenn says:

i am filing an amended return to change my filing status to head of household and also correct my date of birth. i am attaching eic and additional child tax credit forms. do i need to send a copy of my original return or a corrected 1040? thanks

May 28, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(655) William Perez says:

Send the corrected 1040 along with the 1040X and any tax forms or schedules that have changed.

May 28, 2012 at 11:56 pm
(656) David says:

First of all, I think it’s amazing that you’ve been answering all these tax questions. Thank you. My situation is, I didn’t realize that I wasn’t paying social security and medicare taxes, as I assumed it was lumped in with my income tax payment. I noticed on my social security that I didn’t get credits for those years, ie. where I wasn’t paying in via the Self-Employment tax. I’m self employed. My question is, if I amend my returns to pay the Self-Employment tax in years prior, am I going to get hit with a lot of penalties? And is there an easier way just to get Social Security to give me credit for those years toward my lifetime work credits, without paying more in. I did work those years, but really didn’t make much money! Hope this was understandable. Cheers.

June 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm
(657) Jessica says:

Two years ago I filed my taxes as dependant on my parents, and I was under the impression I did the same for last year’s taxes but I did not. When I e-filed this year’s taxes I again put that I was dependant on them, however that was incorrect. I am not sure how I can receive the rest of my tax refund. I believe there is a form to claim the rest of this, but I’m not sure what it is or how to complete it.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

June 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(658) Chris says:

Hi William,

I just filed my tax return and after the fact realized that I had reported a deduction that is probably unjustified. While I am independent contractor, I don’t have my own business. At one point I was asked to provide a number for “Other Rent” and ended up putting my annual cost for rent for my apt – roughly 10,000. Little did I know this would bring my taxable income down by 10,000. Again, I didn’t realize the error until after looking at my return, AFTER it had been filed. This deduction made my balance shockingly low for the amount of income made. I know I cannot amend my return until it has been processed – so my question is, will the IRS attempt to audit me when they see this deduction?


June 13, 2012 at 8:08 am
(659) w says:

i got a question more den a comment i just got my tax return back and saw they forgot a letter in my last name will that affect me depositing or cash the check or do i have to return it and get another one

June 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm
(660) RJD says:

I received a favorable court ordered judgment in March 2012 reducing my monthly alimony payments. The order called for my ex-wife to pay me a retroactive lump sum payment dating back to February 2011, when I filled the petition. Her attorney claims she and I should file amended tax returns for 2011 even though all alimony payments were made in 2011 and through March 2012. I still have yet to receive the lump sum payment. I’m a CPA and my attorney has consulted with another CPA who said these circumstances do not warrant an amended 2011 tax return for either of us and that the alimony recapture rule does not apply. Any comments would be appreciated. Regards, RJD

July 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm
(661) Mike says:

Help! my (gf and I) taxes were filed married instead of single from last year and we just realized that through her financial aid application. How do we correct this?

July 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(662) William Perez says:

Amend the joint tax return to a single tax return for the person listed first on the joint return. The person listed second should file an original 1040 as single. You may also want to consult with a CPA or Enrolled Agent to assist with any follow up communications you might receive from the IRS and state tax agencies.

July 15, 2012 at 7:24 am
(663) club car golf cart batteries says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly
know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be
giving us something enlightening to read?

July 21, 2012 at 8:55 am
(664) Maria says:

I filed my 2011 income tax return and my daughter is going to college this fall and financial aid randomly selected her for verification. So we did it, a week later the financial aid office at her school told her that on the income tax transcript shows that we (the parents) made a total income of 42,338, however when they added our W2 forms it added to 41,406. Do I need to amend my 2011 tax return or can it be corrected as a math error?

July 24, 2012 at 9:34 am
(665) Jenna says:

I just recieved a letter in the mail from the IRS saying they need with holding support.. and they have charged me almost $800. I forgot to send in my w-2 when I did my state taxes.But I just now got a letter in the mail saying they are charging me $713 plus late fees? is there anyway to get past this and send them my w-2?

July 29, 2012 at 6:50 am
(666) PP says:

I filed my returns online. But I had some amount to be paid as tax which I paid only after filing the returns. While making the online tax payment, I chose the option 400 instead of 300 for type of payment for the minor head code. What do I do now? How can i correct it? And I also did not mention any details of this challan in the returns filed. I can amend the returns but how do i amend the payment option?

July 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(667) Kerry says:

I amended my taxes on July 29th. All I had to do was claim my two children. I know it says 8 the 12 weeks to get your refund but do it typically take that long.

July 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(668) organic skin care brands says:

Ι аlwayѕ emаileԁ this wеbѕite post ρage to all my associаtes, becauѕe іf
like to reаd іt аfter thаt my friends will toο.

August 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm
(669) Luis says:

For the past 10 years I used an itin number to file my taxes. Now I have a social security number. How can I amend all the previous years to match with my social security number?
Do I fill a 1040X form per year?
What should I do?

August 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm
(670) William Perez says:

Luis, the IRS will do the work to match up your ITIN with your SSN. There’s no need for you to do that yourself.

August 11, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(671) Jay says:


I received 2 schedule K-1s one for $304 and the other -$215 with the net being $89. By mistake instead of reporting 2 items in my schedule K-1 form in my Form 1040, I reported the net amount $89 against one of the companies. My tax amount doesn’t change. Do I need to file an amendment to correct the Schedule K-1s and report the individual numbers ($304, and -$215) I received from the 2 companies? If so, do I need to file a 1040X and attach the new Schedule K-1s?


September 5, 2012 at 8:41 am
(672) Diana says:

I received an audit notice and have made an appointment to do the interview in 2weeks. Since gathering all the requested material, I have realized that I have been doing my taxes incorrectly for the three years indicated. The audit wants to review car & truck expense, travel etc. But I think I mistakenly used schedule C instead of better utilizing form 2106. I use turbotax and self prepare. Will the auditor still keep the appt? Should I file ammendments and take them in to the audit? Thanks for the info!

September 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(673) james says:

what if i mistyped the amount of my transit passes how am i going to correct it?

September 30, 2012 at 1:52 am
(674) TG says:

I just mailed the first two quarterly estimate 1040 ES forms last week, but accidentally sent checks from an outdated account! What do I do now? The payment vouchers for quarters 1 & 2 are already mailed with them. How do I resend to them from the correct account? How do I keep them from prosecuting me for fraud if they think I did it on purpose? This was just last week, and I just now realized it!

September 30, 2012 at 1:59 am
(675) TG says:

I just sent payment to IRS last week of first 2 quarterly 1040 ES estimated self-employment estimated tax. Now I realize I wrote checks from a previous bank account number. I do not have the vouchers, because they were mailed with the checks. How do I resend from correct checking account, and will they go after me for fraud?

October 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm
(676) anie says:

HI, I have a question my parent filed me as a dependent but I also filed my own taxes seperately but made the mistake of not puttting dependent. I had someone do it for me and they said I didn’t need to but now I realized I should have. What to do?

October 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(677) Nigel says:

Can you amend a tax return for years filed jointly after a spouse dies?

January 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm
(678) Michelle says:

This evening I filed our taxes via TaxAct online and submitted it. It was accepted. two hours later I realized that I missed a W2. I went back into taxact and made the corrections and went through the submission process again. There was no ammended tax form and they were sent within only a few hours of each other. Both were accepted How do I let the IRS know to ignore the first one submitted? Can I without delaying my refund?

February 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(679) cassie says:

i had already e-filed my taxes, claiming the both of my children, after the fact, me and the dad came to an agreement that i would let him claim one, is there any way i can take off a dependent so that he can claim one?

February 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(680) Samantha says:

I filed my return electronically and my return will be direct deposited. After getting confirmation that my e-file was accepted I noticed that the address on the return is incorrect, it is off by a digit. it is a 7 and should be a 6. Do i have to file an amendment? or what exactly do I do here?

February 9, 2013 at 7:12 pm
(681) ashley says:

I SUBMITTED MY 2012 tax return, the its site says it is being process, and everything is right but by me e-filing it, I made a mistake by selecting yes to the question ‘Is this a corrected w-2 from your employer?’ What should I do?

February 11, 2013 at 9:55 am
(682) Kyle King says:

My friend did my tax return over the weekend while i was away. He assumed my dependence where my kids and submitted my Return. They are my cousins. The IRS have excepted my return. But now I have a Notice coming back to me. I don’t know what the notice is. I believe this is why. It is the only mistake i see on my return.

February 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm
(683) TJ Lane says:

I efiled the federal and state tax returns for my daughters boyfriend and realized after they were “Accepted” by the IRS that I had transposed 2 sets of numbers in the SSN. My recollection is that a couple of years ago that they accepted returns efiled with the wrong birth date, then turned around and rejected them with an error code. Will they reject them and have me correct and email them again or do I need to do an Amended Return? Thanks!

February 19, 2013 at 2:27 am
(684) T Park says:

I had an employee misclassifed and as a result he received a 1099. Thankfully, he was only with us a short amount of time. I understand I need to amend the 1099 and 1096 then deal with the w2 side of things. I printed out the corrected 1099 showing zero in box 7. My question is in regards to the 1096.
Do I print a 1096 with just a “1″ in box 3 (“total number of forms”)?
In box 5 (“total amount reported with this form 1096″) do I put zero or the amount that was overreported initially”?

February 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(685) Susanne says:

I realized I made a mistake after I filed my return. The tax difference is $30 more owed. Should I file an amended return?

February 20, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(686) impatient says:

I mailed in my az state taxes last week and realized 12 weeks is a long time to wait…can I e file them instead??

February 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(687) Elisha says:

Ok this is crazy! My ex husband and I filied taxes together in 2009 right before we got divorced and I didnt put one of my jobs in with it cause my ex husband said it was fine it didnt matter anyways I got a letter the other day saying WE owed 2200$ And they said they have sent me letters and this was the first one i have ever got! What can I do? AM I the only one responsible? Will they take all my Refund this year? My ex husband said he isnt going to file this year so they dont take his! This is so unfair, I would have put my one job in with it if I knew this was going to happen! What should I do? Thanks!

February 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm
(688) Forgot says:

I just e-filed for 2012 taxes. I used H&R Block on line. It has been accepted for federal filing, however I added the wrong year of birth for qualifying dependent. No EIC was filed. Will this be ok?

February 24, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(689) Calista Rodgers says:

I just submitted by first income tax form, and did it all online. After submitting, I realized I checked the box that said I was applying for GST/HST rebate by accident. I am not even of age for it, nor am I living common-law, or have children etc. (Aka. I am not even eligible for it!) What do I do to fix this?! Or, will they notice the error, and clear the mistake themselves?

Please help me! Thank you!

February 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm
(690) Jennifer says:

I checked the box that my daughter lived with me when she did not. My ex husband also checked the same box. The IRS has now stopped both returns. How do I correct?

February 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm
(691) William Perez says:

Jennifer, you’ll need to come to a mutual agreement over which person claims the daughter. After that, you’ll need to file your return.

February 27, 2013 at 12:08 am
(692) Paresh says:

I filed my tax return for 2012 and got my return. Just now I received a mail from IRS stating that I received approx $12 (twelve dollars and fifty nine cents to be precise) as Interest from IRS. Now I realize that I did receive this amount in 2011 and the same was not included in my tax return for 2012. Do I need to file amendment tax return for such a small amount??

February 27, 2013 at 10:20 am
(693) Darleen Latimer says:

I left off witheld taxes on a 1099R for 2011. On the 1040X the line for witheld taxes is not included. What form do I use to change the witheld amount. I paid extra for 2011 and should have received a refund.

February 28, 2013 at 12:50 am
(694) kris says:

helo! i filed and entered my daugther’s SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER wrong! i filed on paper! what should i do because never recieve my tax refund till now its almost 1 month already!? thank you!?

February 28, 2013 at 7:56 am
(695) ariam says:

what if your mom have twins and their last one social security numbers is different and you forget and filed the wrong child under the wrong name what are you suppose to do please contact me

March 1, 2013 at 9:02 am
(696) NEED HELP NOW says:

I paid a family member to do my taxes, and she gave me my amount back. I figured it was too much because it was the exact amount that I made throughout the year. A few days later I received a letter from IRS saying my refund has been put on hold. My family member have now told me she added more withheld and federal taxes in order to boost my taxes up without me knowing. I’m in desperate need of my refunds and now I have to wait 60 days before I hear anything from IRS. Is there anything else I can do to correct my refund, because I can’t afford to owe IRS.

Please Help Me!!!

March 2, 2013 at 9:52 am
(697) Kevin says:

If I have rec’d my refund, and my mortgage company sends a corrected 1098 with the mortgage insurance premiums that I paid for the tax year, should I file an amended return? How much of a difference will it make on my refund if say I rec’d $2000 back as a refund, and I paid about $2,500 in mortgage insurance premiums?

March 3, 2013 at 8:35 am
(698) Melody says:

If I received too much back because I mistakenly claimed both of my children for EIC what do I need to do? My ex is supposed to claim one of them but when we input the information it got jumbled and both were on mine?!? Now, he can’t claim the one he was supposed to claim and I need go pay back my overpayment.. help!!

March 3, 2013 at 8:45 am
(699) melody says:

What do I do if I had am additional dependant on my taxes when I filed and received my taxes this year and I need to relay back for that dependent because of a mistake by my tax preparer??

March 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(700) yang says:

i file my tax and put the wrong sex of my child

March 6, 2013 at 6:25 am
(701) Nita says:

Last two year i filled tax with my husband on joint return, My first Name is Nita and Last name is Silwal Amgain but it gone be middle name Silwal, no middle name but last two year 2010 &11 my one last name silwal was gone on middle name ? how can i correct ? please if u have answer ?

March 6, 2013 at 10:37 am
(702) Debbie Smith says:

Help! I filed 1040EZ form and filled it out myself. I am getting a refund and entered it on line 7…but on line 11A I put 0 by mistake. Will the IRS correct this or send it back?

March 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(703) btmarsh says:

I had my taxes done by someone else last year, and now I notice that on my kid’s trust return (1041) it has the “final return” box checked. It shouldn’t have been because my child is stll under 21. How do I correct that?

March 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(704) Fay says:

Hi. We filed our taxes back in February and just yesterday we received mail from our mortgage company regarding the mortgage interest amount is different than what was received earlier, about $3000 of differences. I contacted them and at first they said to contact your tax advisor then I requested to see why were these changes, then they offered to look at my account and call within 48 hours. What do you think I should do since I have never been in this situation?

March 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(705) William Perez says:

Fay, I would recommend making sure that the bank is correct about this. And if so, then amend your tax return.

March 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm
(706) Julia says:

If I forgot to add 4.000 to 1099 of my contractor for 2011 year can I just automatically add it into his 2012 1099 form or do I have to file something separate ? Tnx

March 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm
(707) William Perez says:

Julia, you would amend your year 2011 tax return. You cannot just add it to your 2012 return, because each year we report the income specific to that year.

March 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(708) Lisa says:

I have already received my refund and just realized I entered my mortgage interest (9000) into the property tax box (1200). What do I do? I am stressed over this!

March 21, 2013 at 8:27 pm
(709) William Perez says:

Lisa, amend your return to move the mortgage interest deduction to the correct line on the Schedule A. If you utilized software to prepare your return, your software package might have a feature for preparing an amendment. If so, start the amendment process, and then correct your entries for mortgage interest and property tax. If you’re doing this on paper, you’ll need a new Form 1040, a new Schedule A and a Form 1040-X. Start with preparing the Schedule A, stating the correct amounts on the lines for property tax and for mortgage interest. Then fill out a new Form 1040 (it will probably look exactly like your previous Form 1040). And then fill out the Form 1040-X. (The amounts in the original amount [column A] and the correct amount [column C] will likely be the same.) Explain in Part III what is being changed. Whether you prepare this amendment using software or by hand, the amended return will need to be mailed to the IRS for manual processing.

March 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm
(710) steph says:

I just e-filed my taxes through turbo tax and accidently pressed yes that i wanted to prepay next years tax return. My husband works through an employer so we don’t need to do this. My first payment is scheduled for April 15th. What do I do??? Please help! Thanks!

March 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm
(711) William Perez says:

Steph, an excellent question. Based on what I found on the IRS Web site, it appears you will need to call the IRS to cancel the estimated tax payments. Here’s what the IRS has to say about paying taxes by electronic funds withdrawal:

“Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.

“Call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel a payment….”

March 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(712) Sendi says:

do I have to file an Amendment if mis-typed taxId# of daycare center ?

March 29, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(713) William Perez says:

Sendi, I’m not entirely sure. I would say probably yes, as it’s generally a good idea to have your tax return be as accurate as possible. And filing an amendment won’t be too difficult, as it sounds like none of your numbers would change, only the tax id number of the day care provider.

March 29, 2013 at 10:21 pm
(714) Myrna Mishler says:

How do I fix an error on bank account number on an already processed tax return?

March 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm
(715) William Perez says:

Myrna, you’ll need to call the IRS as soon as possible at 1-800-829-1040. Request that they stop the direct deposit. If the refund hasn’t gone out yet, it’s possible for the IRS to stop the direct deposit and convert the refund to a check to be mailed to you. Source: IRS.gov: Refund Inquiries.

If the refund has gone out, it’s possible that the bank might refuse the direct deposit and send it back to the IRS. Sometimes, however, the bank doesn’t do this. In this case, you’ll need to call the bank to request that the funds be sent back to the IRS. If you run into problems with the bank, try talking to an ACH manager at that bank. You’ll know which bank the refund was sent to as this corresponds to the 9-digit routing transit number shown on your tax return. You can look up which bank is associated with that routing number.

March 31, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(716) Peter says:

I need to file ammended returns for my daughter foe 2009 & 2010 to correct information relating to her tuition and education expenses that was files incorrectly. She was unmarried when those retturns were filed and now she is married and does not live at the address used on those returns. What name and address should I use on each of the two ammended returns?

April 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(717) William Perez says:

Peter, use her current mailing address on the amended returns.

April 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm
(718) sheng says:

I made a mistake by filing my tax return as a citizen yet I am an international student..what should i do?

April 10, 2013 at 11:07 am
(719) tax2013 says:

Hi , I did not know that i need to add my wife and children in tax return filing as they are dependent on H4 last year 2011. How do i fix this issue now? If i have to file amendment then what is the detailed procedure?

Thanks in advance.

April 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(720) William Perez says:

For an overview, there’s an article on filing an amendment. For more thorough details, refer to the Instructions for Form 1040X.

April 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(721) Zoe says:

Getting nervous over here! Time has flown, and it’s already the 11th of April! So, my husband filed without me as head of household (we are new to marriage), and wasn’t supposed to! I am unable to file as single (obviously). He has already received his refund- and spent it before we went over all of this. I know, sounds ridiculous. So, I have compiled all that I need to amend this mistake… But have to get a couple of things printed off to send with the forms. We both have crazy work hours, and I realized today that I may not get it to the IRS by Monday! Should I file an extension for myself, even though it recommends that I pay all dues to the IRS by the due date (which will be changing with our amended return anyway)? I am lost, and kept meaning to go to H&R block for some help. I should have just gotten it all sent off sooner, but I wanted to make sure everything was correct first. Time seems to be non existent these days with a little one and full time work :( help? Thank you!!

April 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm
(722) William Perez says:

Zoe, here’s what I’d recommend for now … as a temporary measure. First, file an extension for yourself. If you think you might owe, send it payment with your extension. If you think you might have a refund, then just send in the extension form. The extension gives you an extra six months to work on your tax return…. Now that you have some extra time, take a look at your tax situation. You’re going to want to figure out a couple of different things, such as…. (1) What would your tax return look like if you filed separately? How much would you owe or get back?… (2) What would your tax return look like if you filed jointly with your husband?… (3) Is the tax significantly different or just a little bit different?… (4) Would you and your husband feel comfortable filing jointly? Joint filing comes with joint responsibility for the accuracy of the tax return and for the payment of the tax. Are each of you willing to take on that responsibility?…. (5) If you are each willing to file jointly, then amend your husband original return to married joint status by including a new Form 1040 showing your combined incomes, deductions, etc. If not, then file your separate return before the extended deadline of October 15.

At each step along the way, you can seek the assistance of a tax professional such as a certified public accountant or enrolled agent.

April 16, 2013 at 9:29 am
(723) John says:

I forgot to include Form 8582 that shows calculation of rental income/loss. Should I send it in separately? Should I wait for the IRS to request it?
Thanks for your help.

April 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(724) Cindey says:

Is the State obligated to notify you if something was disallowed?

April 19, 2013 at 10:52 am
(725) William Perez says:

Cindey, generally, yes, a tax agency must notify you in writing that the agency intends to change something on your tax return.

April 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm
(726) Howard says:

In February of 2013, this year, I received a 1099-c on a Florida rental property which closed as a short-sale on 11/26/2012. The Amount of debt discharged was $112,000.

I just received a corrected 1099-c that now says the Amount of debt discharged is $0.0.

I filed for insolvency, but now do I file an amended return? Does this also mean that the debt will now go into collections?

May 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(727) rodrigo says:

A friend filed with a non licensed person and now cant contact her ( or hides from her) the irs told her that her filing were rejected 9 times . what can she do?

May 6, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(728) William Perez says:

Rodrigo, it sounds like your friend’s tax return hasn’t been filed since he has been rejected. The solution is to file a tax return. This can be done either electronically or by mailing it in on paper. If the current tax preparer cannot be reached, your friend may want to hire someone else to help prepare the return.

May 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm
(729) JUDY says:

My brother lost his 1099-misc form from the child care payments he received in 2011 and submitted it this year, he received $9,000.00 and he got a letter from IRS stating he owes $3,900 in taxes, is that even possible, can someone please help?

May 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(730) Judy says:

Can someone please help…My brother lost his 1099-misc form from the Childcare and he received a letter from IRS stating he owes $3,900 but he only received $9,000 in payments? Is the amount he is beign charged from IRS correct?

May 10, 2013 at 8:43 pm
(731) William Perez says:

Judy, the general procedure is to review the tax return to make sure that your brother reported all his income, and reported it in the proper place on the tax return. For a 1099-MISC, check to see if this income is reported on a Schedule C. Your brother may also want to consult with a tax professional.

May 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm
(732) Ana says:

Form 1040. My return is correct. I correctly calculated the amount overpaid in box 73, I provided my checking account correctly, but forgot to enter on line 74a the “amount of line 73 you want refunded to you” (I wanted all to be refunded). Do I have to file a 1040X or they will refund everything to my checking account? IRS should have received my return around May1. “Where’s my refund ” shows that they are processing my return. I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

May 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(733) William Perez says:

Ana, you asked a good question. I wasn’t able to find out how the IRS might process such a tax return. I suggest giving the IRS a call at 1-800-829-1040 and asking them for advice. Generally speaking, if the IRS wants you to correct something on your tax return because you left something off the return, the procedure is for the IRS to mail you a letter stating what actions they would like you to take. Do be aware that it takes the IRS approximately 6 to 12 weeks to process tax returns. So any letter you receive from the IRS (if any) would likely be in the 6-to-12 week time frame.

May 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm
(734) Jim Cut;er says:

I accidentally claimed that the federal government withheld more from my paychecks than they actually did. It was 331.00 I put 3331.00. I noticed this when I received an extra $3000 refund. What should I do.

June 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(735) Richa says:

I filed tax return and later on i realized that my 1099 (self employment income)by mistakely i put it under my Husband column(tax payer instead of spouse – income subject to self employment) and social security credit went to him.
I want to correct my error , how to correct error so i will get social security credit..

Please advice,
Can i file amend return ? i couldnt file any column where i can amend self employment income.

Thank you very much

June 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm
(736) William Perez says:

Richa, that’s an understandable mistake. You can amend your tax return. Sounds like the only thing that will change is that your name and SSN will show up on the Schedule C and Schedule SE instead of your husband’s name and SSN. Once you make that correction to these two schedules, and any other corrections, then fill out the Form 1040X. If you are using tax software, your software may have a feature that walks you through preparing the amended return. In the explanation section of Form 1040X, simply explain what’s being changed, just like you explained in your comment here.

June 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(737) Jenn A. says:

Hi all,

I received a notice regarding my paper tax return -the person who helped my file listed an amount on the wrong line on my Schedule A form and like a nimrod I submitted my papers without making a copy… also I can’t get in contact with the person that helped me filed (he was like 100 years old lol) and I never submitted an amended form.. . I honestly am so confused and wouldn’t know how to begin correcting it… when I received the letter stating my Schedule A was incorrect I just assumed the IRS would adjust it and send me a check which at this point I don’t care will be less, but my question is I originally submitted my papers mid March, will I EVER get my return??

~Jenn A.

June 19, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(738) William Perez says:

Jenn, usually the notice will let you know what the problem is and how to correct. You might not necessarily need to file an amended return. The IRS might just want you to correct an entry on your Schedule A. Try to contact your tax preparer. Your preparer will likely be able to help you respond to the IRS. It sounds like the IRS is holding on to your refund while they figure out how to process your Schedule A. My guess is that the IRS will release your refund after this Schedule A issue is cleared up and they can finish processing your tax return.

June 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(739) Ann says:

My ex and I had some support that he paid taxes on, and then ammended his taxes to recieve a refund. Do I now file the ammended taxes against me, I found out many months after the fact. What can I do? It was for two different years.

July 1, 2013 at 10:14 am
(740) JJ says:

I have had a friend come to me over some tax concerns…I do corporate taxes, but really do not have alot of experience with complicated personal. What has happeded is she allowed a licensed tax prepared to do her taxes. She owed taxes from 2007 and they put in erronous deductions. Of course the IRS wants the reciepts….She doesn’t have them. Is she better off going to them and trying to straighten them out or file another amended return. The irs said they can not process this return any further until they recieve the recipts….Advice on how to go about it? I do not have a CPA nor am I licensed with them, so not even sure they will talk to me.

July 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(741) William Perez says:

JJ, if the IRS is auditing her tax return, then she’ll need to work directly with the auditor to discuss her options. I suggest she engage an enrolled agent or certified public accountant to represent her in the audit. They can help her figure out how best to present her situation.

July 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(742) Jodi says:

I made a mistake on my 2012 return, later amended it, and still found mistakes later…when the IRS sent me a notice saying I owed them around $200. What I did (or rather didn’t report) was an honest mistake. I forgot to declare interest income (on a bank account that stays less than $1000–wow big interest money there!). I also didn’t correctly fill out the form for when we sold some company stock shares (not a lot of $ there either). And they said they I sold some private stock shares (which I totally forgot about, and due to a change in management of the trading company, I never received the 1099 or whatever it’s called). Our income is below poverty level since I’ve been out of work for almost 3 years. I sent them a letter contesting their “findings” (I sent them copies of the statements and got a hold of that missing 1099 after tracking down the trading website). They are still after me for a meager $200. It’s not about the money. We can pay it. It’s the principle of the matter. How do I protest this and back up my claims any more than what I’ve already done?

July 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(743) William Perez says:

Jodi, generally the process for resolving mistakes such as this is to file an amended return with the IRS to show all the income, stock sales, and so forth, along with any backup documentation to support your math. You may want to consult with an enrolled agent or certified public accountant to review the letters from the IRS and your tax returns to see where the discrepancy is.

July 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm
(744) Brendan says:

I did my taxes on the turbo tax app and sent it through, then i got another W2 but forgot to file it and i now received a final bill, could that be because i didn’t file that W2 if so what should i do about it, should i just pay the bill? Thank you for your time

August 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(745) Dick Owens says:

Believe my 2012 1099R is incorrect, but the company says it is too late to file an amended form. It is now August and I have not filed my return.

August 15, 2013 at 10:25 am
(746) William Perez says:

Dick Owens, why do you think your 1099-R form is incorrect?

October 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(747) Mabel says:

Could somebody help me? Please. I filled my taxes electronically and after that I find that I filled them with original W2 instead Corrected W2.
The withheld federal and states taxes were wrong in the original W2. I have to file an amended for federal and state (CA)? Thank You

October 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm
(748) William Perez says:

Good question, Mabel. Did you just recently e-file your tax return? If so, I would wait until after the IRS and California finish processing your tax return. Perhaps the agencies will correct the mistake for you. If it’s been at least 8 weeks since you filed and the agencies haven’t notified you, then I would start thinking that perhaps the agencies didn’t correct it and you might want to amend the returns.

October 18, 2013 at 7:28 pm
(749) Mabel says:

Hi William

Thank You so much for your time and for answering me. I will follow your advise.

October 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(750) Mabel says:

Hi William:

Thank you so much for your time and for answering me. I will follow your advise.

November 14, 2013 at 2:13 am
(751) Meren says:

Hi William

While filing my tax online, I entered the income details wrongly. I tried to send a rectification request, but my CPC number seems to be invalid. What should I do?

November 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm
(752) denise hunt says:

can a w2 be admeded from 2009?

December 18, 2013 at 2:58 am
(753) holly says:

Just received a cp2000 for my 2011 taxes stating yhey couldnt verify the tuition I paid that year for me to be eligible for the american opportunity credit. I looked at my 1098 and my ssn is wrong on there so it isnt reported under my ssn. I called my school and asked for a corrected one is there anything else I need to send to them?

December 18, 2013 at 11:56 am
(754) Pepper says:

I recently was notified by the State I live in that I did not file a return but had “Income from Broker or Barter Exchange”. I went to file the State return and noticed that I did not list in my Federal Return the loss carry over from the prior year. Should I amend my 2010 Federal Return to show the loss carry over from 2009 (I listed it on the State return since I had not previously filed the 2010 return – I thought the State had been filed at the same time I did the Federal but obviously it wasn’t). Amending the Federal Return will not change the outcome because of the previous year’s loss carry over and the loss from the sale of the stock in 2010. What should I do about the Federal return? Amend or not amend?

January 5, 2014 at 10:31 pm
(755) Hayfa says:

After going through a junk drawer I find a w2 from 2009. It is now over the 3 year mark. What should I do? Should i file an amended return even though it is past the 3 yr mark. I am sure this will give me a refund as I always have extra taxes deducted. What should I do??

January 7, 2014 at 2:07 am
(756) William Perez says:

Hayfa, it’s not immediately clear what you should do in this situation. There are several possibilities.

When I’ve run into this situation before, I take the following steps. (1) Figure out how much extra refund or additional tax due there would be if the tax return was amended. (2) If there’s a refund, figure out if the 3-year statute of limitations has already expired. In this case, refunds from the year 2009 expired on April 15, 2013 (or October 15, 2013 if you filed an extension for 2009). (3) If there’s a balance due, figure out if the IRS has already assessed the additional tax amount. Usually in these situations, the IRS calculates the additional tax due and sends a CP-2000 notice to the taxpayer. So look in your files to see if the IRS mailed you a CP-2000 notice.

If you have additional refund, you need not file an amended return, as the IRS will deny the refund based on the 3-year statute of limitations.

If you have additional tax due, check whether the IRS already calculated this same amount. If so, was that additional tax paid? If so, you don’t need to file an amendment as the IRS corrected your tax amount and collected the tax. If the IRS assessed additional tax and this tax has not been paid, then you’ll need to evaluate whether the IRS’s calculation is correct. If it’s not correct, you’ll want to amend your return to show the IRS the correct calculation of the additional amount due. If the IRS has not assessed additional tax and you determined that additional tax is due, then you’ll need to determine whether the IRS is permitted to assess additional tax.

A tax professional can assist you with this analysis. Hope this helps.

January 23, 2014 at 12:51 pm
(757) DEE says:

My daughter messed up her ta return ans for got to put down that we can claim her on her taxes. What do we need to do to fix this? I know she needs to file an amended form but what happens? Does this affect us when we file and how does this affect her? SHe makes less than $11,000 a year so not talking major monies but still worried. She was using a tax software and it was a simple mistake on her part.

January 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm
(758) Sonia says:

I put the wrong ein number for my school and efiled on HR Block. They say they can’t get it back once it is sent. Will this cause me problems in getting my return back on time?

January 26, 2014 at 12:27 pm
(759) Sonja says:

I put the wrong ein number for my school when I efiled. Will this hold up my tax return, or how can I fix this?

January 30, 2014 at 9:43 am
(760) Ashley says:

I’ve already filed my taxes and forgot to claim or add my 1099 earnings. Does this cause for a amended tax return to be filed?

January 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm
(761) William Perez says:

Ashley, yes you are correct.

January 31, 2014 at 1:38 am
(762) Doug says:

I have received two corrected W-2s for 2011 and 2012. The amount of CASDI was overstated by $5 and $15. This lowers my itemized deductions, and would increase the taxes I owe by $1-3. It seems really troublesome to have to file an amended return over such a small amount. Should I file an amended return?

January 31, 2014 at 11:30 am
(763) KDC says:

I filed my taxes with the wrong sales and local tax rate. Should have been 7%, I files 13% because I misunderstood. There is a refund difference of $162.00. Do I have to file and amend on my return for this or will they catch this when processing? Thanks

January 31, 2014 at 8:44 pm
(764) kk says:

I made a mistake and put 170$ instead of 17$ for federal tax withheld, will I be penalize and how to correct it?

February 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm
(765) Anita says:

I found out when I took my son’s taxes in to be done that they messed up on the day part of his birthdate last year but it wasn’t rejected. What do I need to do?

February 4, 2014 at 10:06 am
(766) nicey says:

i filed and the sex of my daughter was incorrect… what will happen and will i be rejected

February 5, 2014 at 9:27 am
(767) Scott says:

So me and my family are planning to move by the 15th of february with my tax refund so i was waiting for my w2 from my boss but i wanted to file by the time they started processing but hadn’t received my w2 yet so i used my last paystub from december and the first one from january and did some math and stuff and well i ended up being only $40 over what my w2 said. Is this gonna slow down my refund being approved? Will i end up owing money back or will the computer just fix this little error on its own? And by the way i filed by the 29th and my return was already accepted the 30th and still says processing for both fed and state.

February 5, 2014 at 10:52 pm
(768) Veronica says:

While reviewing last year taxes, I realized that I made a mistake and accidentally uploaded my 2010 student tuition payments instead of my 2013. This made me have a larger return so I am sure I will end up owning the IRS money. How bad is this? If they audit my file will this get me into trouble if I bring it up first?

February 7, 2014 at 2:44 am
(769) Lynnah says:

I filed my California state tax return and it was excepted but one of my dependants social was one num off what do I do????

February 9, 2014 at 11:34 pm
(770) katie says:

I see all these years later you’re still answering questions! that’s awesome! thank you!

I e-filed my federal return via turbotax and about 30 mins later realized i forgot to enter in the expenses from my rental (which changed my AGI drastically!). I didn’t e-file the states (I have to file in VA and MD) because I was just going to mail those for free. Well, today I did the amended federal return via turbotax and it took me through state as well.

Since I still have not sent the original MD 502 or VA 763 returns, do I have to send those first and then the amended ones? (nothing actually changed on those… the amended returns say I owe/am due 0.00, assuming i paid MD what i owed originally and I received what virginia owed me originally, neither of which has happened because i haven’t filed them at all!).

The VA form says on the bottom to submit it along with a copy of my federal return. If i submit an amended federal return and a regular, non-amended VA return that shows what they owe me, will it still be processed? And the other thing the turbotax instructions mention is that i’m claiming credit for tax paid to another state and that I need to include a copy of that return. so would i attach the amended md return or the non-amended?

I don’t have to submit a 1040 with a MD return so can I just file the original, non-amended MD form with my payment (I owe them $)?

February 11, 2014 at 2:53 am
(771) kim says:

What should I do if I wasn’t planning on filing with a specific tax preparer but they have my information but I never gave consent to submit my tax return without my w2 forms?

February 12, 2014 at 11:37 am
(772) Floppy34 says:

I finished my taxes a couple of days ago. And today her work sent a second w2. It is the same everywhere but now includes dd amount in box 12. This for my 2013 return. I put the numbers in but it didn’t effect my return. Do I need to resubmit the return.

February 13, 2014 at 10:36 am
(773) nakia says:

Is the 8829 form on the turbo tax deluxe…thanks!

February 15, 2014 at 10:36 am
(774) chelsea says:

I filed my return later I realized I put 3 months at my current address instead of 1month image personal information sheet will the iirs not process my return because of this and will I have to amend my tax return?

February 15, 2014 at 12:28 pm
(775) bianca says:

for the irs pin even though turbo tax put i was head of household. when i call irs for the pin i accidently hit the prompt single instead of head of household…will that mess me up??

February 16, 2014 at 3:47 pm
(776) Deb says:

I submitted my WI taxes and after printing them, realized I entered my W2 twice. Doubling my actual income. Now what?????

February 17, 2014 at 6:51 pm
(777) Nathaly SHEFF**** says:

my taxes were done and a return was e-filed by J-H. but I did them in turbotax’s and my return 3,124. From the earned income child credit. J-H told us it was only around 500. so since they filed the return already what do I do to correct this error in order to increase the return amount they filed

February 19, 2014 at 5:20 pm
(778) Jessica says:

I e-filed my 2013 return and it was transmitted on January 24,2014. I waited for an update on a direct deposit date and called last week. The customer service rep informed me my return was processed but was used to pay a past obligation of $36,000. I never owe taxes and was baffled. Come to find out when they routed me to underreporting when the IRS input the dollar amount from a 1099 instead of 972.00 they missed the decimal and used 97,200. This was from 2011 filed in 2012. I never recieved a notice and even recieved a refund last year. The underreporter told me he would personally handle the issue and I just needed to provide a copy of the 1099 and letter from the accounting firm of the company I had worked for and he could correct it and they would send my refund. Today though he called to let me know he input all the info and a comment he made was unsettling. He said, everything has been input and is correct now, they did apply your refund to this but may send the difference to you at a later date. He said ‘may’. If this error was on their end why would they not most certainly send me the difference?

February 22, 2014 at 11:44 pm
(779) Jen says:

I received a 1099-misc that I received from my employer when I was considered a contractor and before I became an employee. (So I received both a 1099-misc for the first 3 months’ income and a W-2 for the remainder of the year).
When I filled out form Schedule C-EZ I should have left “D” blank because I do not have an EIN. I just noticed that I did not leave it blank and accidentally filled in the EIN for the company who issued the 1099-misc.
My return was already filed and I have already receive my refund.
Do I need to file an amended return to correct this mistake?

Thank you!

February 23, 2014 at 5:59 am
(780) Lma17 says:

I filed my taxes and It was my first time. A friend was helping and told me to make up the pin so I did , it got approved and I got the money , do I need to ammend my taxes because I didn’t use the right pin? Or did the irs fix it for me since it got approved?

February 24, 2014 at 2:59 am
(781) Adrian Pina says:

I made a typo for my name on my tax return. How do I make a correction for both Federal and State? Thank you

February 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm
(782) mary says:

i accidently added an extra letter to our last name do i need to do an amended return?

February 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm
(783) Jessica says:

I made a mistake on my taxes and amended it right away. The incorrect taxrefund was deposited into my account today. How do I send it back to the IRS?

March 1, 2014 at 9:20 pm
(784) Jennifer says:

Please Help!!! I filed my taxes and when filling out the dependents area of the return I checked the box that said “not a dependent (EIC/Child Tax Credit Only) for my daughter, because her father (who we are not married nor together) was planning on claiming her as the “Child at home dependent”. I assumed I was not using her as a child at home dependent, but for EIC only. Now, we he went to file his taxes, it rejected due to the fact “someone else is claiming this SSN as a dependent already”. What can I do now?

March 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm
(785) Lindsay says:

I’m a College student and had my taxes prepared by a CPA last year, I had a scholarship for $1000 that year and he said it didn’t have to be added. This has been haunting me and I still think he was wrong and it should have been added in. Do I need to do an amended tax return for that year or can I added in to 2013 year, or was he right and it doesn’t need to be added?

March 12, 2014 at 12:23 am
(786) William Perez says:

Lindsay, I don’t know if your CPA was right or not, as I don’t have all the relevant facts. What I do know is that in some cases scholarships are taxable and sometimes not taxable. The IRS discusses the rules for how scholarships are taxed in their Tax Topic 421: Scholarships and Fellowship Grants.

March 15, 2014 at 4:56 pm
(787) denice71 says:

I have 2 questions.I also filed my taxes and mistakenly put that my son was my daughter although his ss# and name were correct.will I have to call the IRS and change it in order to get my refund?secondly,I e filed my 2012 taxes and at the end I only actually submitted the federal.what do I need to do to recover my state refund?I thought I submitted both and therefore was wondering where my state refund was,realizing a year later what I did.

March 15, 2014 at 9:49 pm
(788) hector says:

HI thanks in advance.

Please help !! This Friday i went to pick up my tax return check. AS i was looking trough the package of documents i noticed the person that helped me out preparing my documents made a mistake. My dependant relationship is wrong, i told them it was my little sister and the paper says she is my daughter.
I called to let them know about this error and they told me they could ammend the error whenever i did my next year taxes.

I was wondering about any trouble i might be getting into.

March 17, 2014 at 7:51 pm
(789) Suman says:

I worked with 8 employees last year and my wife worked with 2 employees. When I filed my tax returns, the person who filed it has only used one employee name and include all my income(8 employees) and My wife worked in two places and she used one employee. Our both income together $ 50000. When he submitted the file, it showed 1700 has to pay for my wife and i got a return of 500. I feel this is been wrong filing. Can i resubmit my application? can you please suggest me

March 26, 2014 at 9:50 am
(790) lolu says:

The tax preparer made a mistake on my spouse’s name. He put my child’s name as as my wife’s name. Although the filing went through and ive gotten my refund. How do i file for an ammended return and correct this and what supporting documents do i need to attach to my form 1040x?

March 31, 2014 at 3:42 pm
(791) Anthony says:

While doing my Qualified worksheet for 2013, I always check the previous years worksheet and noticed that I made a computation error to my disavantage of $300. How can I redo that form or inform irs of this error? Thank you Phone call takes over an hour waiting period to the IRS.

April 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm
(792) Maya says:

Hi- I filed my tax via tax professional and they give me the breakdown of my expenses and deduction s.. When they send me thru email the input defection I told them not to put some and they corrected it so I got a refund of 1264 less than the first presented amount of 2239 then a receipt was sent with all the documents they e-file but prior to that we already signed the previous electronic filing and they don’t ask us to sign the corrected deduction and that’s the one they send to IRS . When I checked our bank the amount of 2239 was deposited by the IRS ..so I called the tax prof who did my tax and stated that they feel sorry for that and in case i recieved a letter from the IRS they will answer it.I ask her if we can ammend and just send the extra amount to IRS but she said that it will be a window for audit and she was upset..I want to correct it but I don’t know how…please help…

April 1, 2014 at 11:23 pm
(793) William Perez says:

Maya, ask your tax preparer to amend your tax return to the correct amount. You’ll need to sign and mail it in. Get the amendment done so you can mail it before 4/15 to avoid interest.

April 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm
(794) Heidi says:

Do I need to file for an amendment if the incorrect last name is on there? (Recently married, Married name/ Maiden name) How do I fix that?

April 16, 2014 at 11:01 am
(795) Ben says:

Hi, I was sent a revised 1099-B on April 16 that changes some amounts on my Schedule D, but since I have losses, it doesn’t change the tax I owe. It will change the carry over loss to next year. Should I file an amended return or just change the carry over amount on next years Schedule D?

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.