1. Money
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

What's Form W-9?

By January 27, 2008

Follow me on:

Form W-9 is used when a business needs to have your name, address and taxpayer identification number so the business can issue a tax document to you and to the IRS. Form W-9 is frequently utilized in a business context, when one business needs to pay another business or a person for worked performed as an independent contractor. Form W-9 is also used by financial institutions to obtain information from their customers which will be used to prepare various types of Form 1099 to report interest, dividends and other types of income.

Independent contractors and other people who work for themselves will often need to give a Form W-9 to their clients. Clients will then use the information on Form W-9 to prepare Form 1099-MISC to report income paid to the independent contractor.

As far as tax forms go, Form W-9 is pretty straightforward. You provide your name, address and Social Security Number. For contractors who have a separate business entity, they provide the name, address and Employer Identification Number of their business.

The W-9 form also asks whether you are subject to backup withholding. This is withholding at a flat rate of 28% on payments made to you or your business under certain circumstances. There are two common reasons for backup withholding: your name and SSN as provided on Form W-9 don't match the IRS' records, or you have outstanding tax debts and the IRS has notified you that you are subject to mandatory backup withholding until the taxes are paid in full.

Contractors might receive requests to fill out W-9 forms at the end or at the beginning of the year as clients get ready to mail out their 1099-MISC forms to report self-employment income. Brokers and financial institutions might also ask for a W-9 form if you'll be earning interest income, dividends, or trading stocks and other securities.

Update: Answers to Some Commonly Asked Questions about Form W-9

From the comments below, here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

How often do I send out or update a Form W-9?

People should send out a new Form W-9 whenever the information on Form W-9 changes.  Send out a new W-9 if your name, business name, address, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number has changed.

How often should I request W-9s from my subcontractors?

Generally I advise my clients to request a W-9 at the time you contract with an independent contractor to provide services. At the very least, obtain a signed W-9 prior to paying out more than $600 during the course of the calendar year. You can request an updated W-9 at any time, but there's no set requirement to do so.

I received a W-9 from an unlikely source. What should I do?

Some people have received a request for Form W-9 from landlords and other people or businesses.  Form W-9 is used to officially ask a person or business to provide their name, address, and taxpayer identification number so that the requesting party can properly issue tax documents to the IRS. In general, the types of businesses that request Form W-9 is any business that pays you interest, dividends, non-employee compensation, and certain other types of reportable income. If you receive a W-9 from an unlikely source, ask why they need the W-9 form and how it will be used.

I need to issue a 1099 to a foreign subcontractor. Do I still send out a W-9 Form?

No. Form W-9 is used to gather information only from US persons and businesses. If you have a foreign contractor working for you, that person will need to fill out one of the several Form W-8 documents. Forms in the W-8 series are designed to indicate how much, if any, of payments made to a foreign person or business should be withheld for US income taxes. For an overview of these issues, see FAQ for US Withholding Agents on the IRS Web site.

I received a W-9 from my employer, what should I do?

If you are, or were, being treated as an employee (with a regular paycheck), and your employer suddenly asks you to fill out a Form W-9, this could indicate that your employer now wants to treat you as an independent contractor. This is a rather sticky situation: on the one hand, there are sometimes legitimate reasons why you might be an independent contractor rather than an employee. On the other hand, sometimes employers start to run into financial difficulties and they can no longer afford to pay their half of the payroll taxes. If you get a W-9 from your employer, and you should first ask yourself whether you are an employee or an independent contractor. Ask your employer for clarification. And if you cannot reach consensus after talking with your employer, you can ask the IRS to get involved to make a determination of your work status. For more details see Independent Contractor or Employee? on the IRS Web site.

More resources:

Links to IRS Forms and Instructions:

Have a question about Form W-9? Leave a comment below.

February 28, 2008 at 5:23 pm
(1) Michael says:

The W-9 instructions are not clear. I received my first one. I’m an LLC, but it’s just me. The form ask to classify myself as a D for disregarded entity or C for corporation. Where does LLC fall?

April 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(2) Shawn Foster says:

The answer lies in how you file your taxes. If you file your LLC on your personal federal return (as a disregarded entity) then you fill the w9 out one way. with your name on the Name line and the business name on the second line. You will check individual box and use your social. If you file taxes for the business as a corporation, you will use the corporation name on the name line, check the LLC box and use its EIN. This liink will help answer questions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

February 28, 2008 at 5:59 pm
(3) William Perez says:

It depends on how many members (a.k.a. shareholders) there are in your LLC. If there’s just one member, you are probably a disregarded entity.

May 14, 2008 at 12:10 pm
(4) Ryan Hebert says:

As a newly independent contractor I should expect documentation from my client of how much I was paid some time after the new year?

May 19, 2008 at 10:10 am
(5) susan says:

I am a new Independent contractor, and just completed a form W-9. I checked the box “Exempt from backup withholding.” Do I need to make quarterly tax payments? I don’t expect to earn more than $14,000 this year, $25,000 next year. Please advise. I don’t want to get hit with any penalties when we file our taxes next year (“married filing jointly”).


June 6, 2008 at 12:38 am
(6) Jim says:

I just received a w-9 to fill out in preparation for a short term contract. I’m a new independent contractor. However, the form I was given already has their company name and address info on it, as well as the employer identification number.

Did they give me the wrong form? I think I’m supposed to put my own name and address information on it, from what I’m reading on the form, not simply put my ssn on it with their name and address.

For Susan, it depends on how much taxes you will have to pay next year. If you owe too much, they will penalize you. If not, then you don’t need to make those quarterly payments. Of course, only the IRS will demand that you make a guess and then hit you with a fine if you guess wrong. So basically you have to guess how much 14k income for this year will add to your joint filing income and guess how much in taxes you’ll be hit.

If your husband is working a regular job, you may be able to just have him increase his withholding level.

June 6, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(7) William says:

Ryan, yes you will receive a 1099-MISC form to report how much money your client paid you. However, you will want to keep your own independent records of your income and business expenses for tax purposes. I have one client who is a contractor, and her client sent her triplicate 1099s, that is, they filed three 1099s all with the same income amounts. And now we have to fight it out with the IRS to prove she didn’t earn all that money. So if only to ensure accuracy, be sure to keep your own records.

June 6, 2008 at 1:15 pm
(8) William says:

Susan, making estimated payments is a good idea, or as Jim suggested, your husband could increase his tax withholding. It would be a good idea to get an idea of how much tax you’ll be responsible for paying, and then make estimated payments or adjust the withholding accordingly.

June 6, 2008 at 1:20 pm
(9) William says:

Jim, yeah it sounds like they gave you the wrong piece of paper. I have a copy of the W9 on my hard drive that has all my business information already typed in, so I just print it out, sign it, and give it to a client. So just download a blank copy of the form (here’s the link to the PDF file). And type in your own information. The nice thing about this PDF file, is you can save the copy to your hard drive with all the information you typed in, which makes it handy for saving this for future clients.

July 17, 2008 at 11:06 am
(10) Lindsey says:

I have completed a W-9 for various modeling jobs and promotional jobs that I was hired for by agents. I have received payments from these organizations and the organizations are from various other states. My questions are these: They do not take out taxes on these payments, how do I know how much to take out and how often do I send it to the IRS? Also, Do I just adhere to the tax guidelines for my resident state when applying these taxes to my checks received? In addition, is there a chart or something I can use to equate what or how much tax to set aside from each pay check received? Please advise. Thanks!

July 24, 2008 at 1:31 pm
(11) Claire says:

I thought W9′s were only send to vendors who did labor work for us. Is this correct to only send a 1099 to vendors who did any type of labor work only?

July 24, 2008 at 9:05 pm
(12) William says:

Claire, a company can request W-9 forms from any vendors or contractors who provide services to the company.

July 26, 2008 at 4:10 pm
(13) shivalrous says:

Hi, I am a fresh grad with no idea about this income tax thing. I joined a website called Odesk.com where people hire you online. My problem is the site is asking me to submit a W9 form and I don’t know what it is for. I have never been employed and I don’t have any ideas what will happen if I pass that form. Will I be doing income tax returns when I submit that form? Will I be he one to compute my income tax? Sorry for being stupid but I really need help. Please reply at [***] thanks

July 26, 2008 at 9:08 pm
(14) taxes says:

Shivalrous, hi and welcome. Your question is a reasonable one, not stupid at all.

Form W-9 is used by a company to request the name, address, and Social Security number for an independent contractor who will be providing services to the company. However, I think you deserve a fuller explanation than just what this particular form is used for. I wrote a new blog post to address some of the issues I think might be relevant for your situation in starting this job. I posted it over at “Starting a new job as an independent contractor

August 4, 2008 at 12:40 pm
(15) Daniel says:

I fix the computers for a company and they ask me to fill a w-9 from. I don’t want my boss to know about the job I did for them. When they are reporting it to the IRS do they tell them what kind of services they got for me or I just have to pay the tax for the payment?

Please advise

August 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm
(16) Elisa says:

DANIEL: Your boss will not even know about the work you did for the other company. Just use your name and your social security number and your home address. The 1099-MISC will be sent directly to you and you can file it with your personal taxes. Hope this helps

August 6, 2008 at 3:15 pm
(17) Mary says:

I’ve been asked to fill out o W-9 form for my company to receive payment from another company we did business with. I thought a W-9 was to be used for individuals, not for one company to bill another one for services rendered. Why do they need this?

August 7, 2008 at 4:49 pm
(18) Cristina says:

I’m an independent contractor and am filling out a Form W-9. I’m not sure whether I should check “exempt payee” or not? What is this box for? I’m assuming that because I’m an independent contractor the person I’m doing work for does not have to withhold taxes from payments to me. Does that make me an “exempt payee”? Should I check the box?

August 7, 2008 at 5:25 pm
(19) taxes says:

Mary, companies can be asked to fill out a W-9 form as well as individuals. The purpose of the form is to request the tax id number of the payee and to ascertain whether the payee is subject to backup withholding. The information is then used to prepare the 1099-MISC forms that are sent out annually to report various types of income.

August 7, 2008 at 5:27 pm
(20) taxes says:

Cristina, as an independent contractor, your payments will not be subject to tax withholding. You’ll need to remit your taxes yourself, which you can do by sending in estimated tax payments. The exempt payee box is only for certain types of organizations. This does not apply to individuals. So individuals would leave the exempt payee box unchecked.

July 1, 2011 at 11:17 am
(21) Mark Y. says:

from page# 3 in the W-9 under Exempt Payee it says: “Generally, individuals (including sole proprietors) are not exempt from backup withholding”

Could you please explain?

Thank you,

August 12, 2008 at 3:05 pm
(22) Lisa says:

I’m a therapist in private practice. I always use my SS# to file my taxes. At one time, a few years ago, I had one employee. So, I also have an EIN. I no longer have this employee. One of my current patients says her insurance company needs me to fill out a W-9 in order to reimburse her (she’s already paid me and I gave her a statement to that effect). Do I use my SS# or my EIN? I don’t want my patient to know my home address, which is asked for on the W-9. Help?

August 12, 2008 at 4:12 pm
(23) William Perez says:

Lisa, I’m assuming that you’re a sole proprietor and report your earnings on a Schedule C. What I’d do is use your EIN number and the address of your practice for the W-9 form. On the Schedule C, you’ll also indicate your EIN, that way the IRS will be able to match up the 1099 reported under your EIN with your tax return.

In fact, using this EIN for your business makes a lot of sense in an era when we are concerned about identity theft and having our financial information floating around the universe. Having the EIN here protects your SSN from being circulated and provides an extra layer of identity protection.

August 15, 2008 at 4:29 pm
(24) Melanie says:

I am a new broker/owner of a real estate company. I’ve been asked to provide another agency with a W9 form. I am working together with one of their agents, but this other company does not provide my funding. Why would I be asked to give them a W9? Is this something new? Should I be asking every Realtor that I do business with for a W9?

August 19, 2008 at 4:33 pm
(25) Kathy K says:

I have been working for contractors for 20 years and something new came up regarding a
W-9 form that I filled out and signed for my company. I work for a corporation, but a customer sent it back saying it has to be signed by an owner/principal of the company. I told her she was crazy!! Am I right that I can sign/”attest” as a US person that the TIN and information provided is true and correct?!?!?

August 19, 2008 at 6:59 pm
(26) William Perez says:

Kathy K, technically you are not required to sign Form W-9 in this specific case. See the Instructions for Form W-9 (pdf) page 4, column 1, in the paragraph beginning with “4. Other payments.” As to who can sign on behalf of the corporation, this is usually spelled out in the corporate by-laws. In a medium or larger company, the CFO or Treasurer would surely delegate this authority to a staff accountant (or would have plenty of W-9s already signed and ready to be furnished).

August 21, 2008 at 12:02 pm
(27) Brandy says:

We have a very small non profit, 501 C3 that has raised money for an awareness trailer. WE have had a great response and area businesses have contributed to this cause, however one is asking us to fill out a W-9 and the information I am reading on there does not fit what we are doing. Do you have any advise or can you explain this better? Thanks!

August 21, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(28) Matt says:

A company offered me a job. I will be considered a contractor. I will get paid a certain amount of money per month & also comission. I know I have to tell the IRS how much money i have made. Does the employer have to tell them also how much i made or is it completely up to me? What if i accidently told them more or less than i actually made?

August 27, 2008 at 9:28 am
(29) Meg says:

William, on June 6 you gave a link to a PDF file for the W9 form and said it could be saved with all your company info. I have tried to save it after it was filled in, but can’t seem to save a completed one. We have been asked to email a completed W9, but it says that you cannot save or email a completed W9. What did I do wrong?

August 27, 2008 at 11:09 am
(30) Rhonda says:

I am going to work for an online customer service company. I will have people work under me taking phone calls as well. The compnay said that if I entend to pay the people under me on my own then I need to have them fill out a W-9 form and put my tax ID number on their W-9. Does this mean that the only way their earnings get reported to the IRS is when I report them on my taxes and do I need to give them a 1099 at the end of the year? Also, how do I get a State tax ID number?

January 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(31) Eugene says:

Hi Rhonda,
What is the name of the online company. I only run into online customer service companies that will not allow you to have subcontractors. I’m just curious.

August 27, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(32) William Perez says:

Meg, I guess I’ve been spoiled by the full version of Adobe Acrobat, which lets me save (or save-as) any PDF document I find. I’m not at my other computer right now, so I cannot try this using only Adobe Reader. So here’s what I suggest in the meantime. Fill out the W-9 form by typing in all your information. Then print out several copies (that way you’ll have some extras for later). You’ll then be able to scan, fax, mail, or hand deliver the completed form. Tonight at home I will see if I can get Adobe Reader to save a completed file.
Edited to add: I was able to successfully download a copy of the W-9 form from the IRS web site. Once you the form loads, simply save it to your computer. Then you can open it in Adobe Reader and fill it out with your name and other information. Adobe Reader then lets you “save as” and you can save it as another PDF. I did this, and when I re-opened the newly saved file, it had all my information saved in it as well. I have Adobe Reader version 8.1.2 installed. Hope this helps you out.

August 27, 2008 at 2:49 pm
(33) William Perez says:

Rhonda, there’s a couple of things going on in this situation. First, it sounds like you are going to be working as an independent contractor with this company. Since you’ll have subcontractors working under you, you’ll want to be sure to have a contract with the company that spells out who is responsible for what. From a tax perspective, the company does not need W-9 forms from your subcontractors. Instead you should ask each of your subcontractors to provide you with a completed W-9 so you can provide them with tax statements at the end of the year. All the company needs is a W-9. The company will pay you, and you will pay your subcontractors. That means your income as reported to the IRS will include all payments made to you (even though you are turning around and paying your subcontractors).

Since you will be having subcontractors, and I imagine a significant inflow and outflow of money, I’d strongly suggest forming some sort of business entity. This will help provide some legal and tax benefits for your business. You may want to do this before your sign the contract, so that the contract can be executed between your company and the other company, and also so that your company’s name and tax id number can be put on the W-9.
As for obtaining a state tax id number, you’ll need to contact the employment or labor department in your state.
Finally, you may want to seek the advice of a tax accountant to help you set up your bookkeeping, discuss business options, and how to handle payments to your subcontractors.

August 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm
(34) Mercy says:

I have a new corportation, we are just two persons, the company is a LLC. A mexican company asked me for an W-9, I dont know if a should check the box Exempt payee or not.

Should I?


August 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm
(35) William Perez says:

Mercy, “exempt payee” refers to certain types of organizations that are exempt from backup withholding. Individuals do not fall within any of the categories of exempt payees found on the Instructions to Form W-9 (page 3).

Even though individuals are not exempt from backup withholding, your vendor usually won’t withhold any taxes. Backup withholding occurs only when the IRS specifically requires that the vendor withhold tax, and the IRS would have to notify you and the vendor in advance.

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm
(36) Gabrielle says:

We are a well established S-Corp company, we do automotive restorations and sandblasting. We did some sandblasting for a company and now they are asking us to fill out a W-9. They were given an invoice from our company. I’ve never had to fill one of these out before. Why am I having to fill this out for them?

August 28, 2008 at 7:07 pm
(37) Rhonda E says:

I am going to work for an online customer service company. I will have people work under me taking phone calls as well. The compnay said that if I entend to pay the people under me on my own then I need to have them fill out a W-9 form and put my tax ID number on their W-9. Does this mean that the only way their earnings get reported to the IRS is when I report them on my taxes and do I need to give them a 1099 at the end of the year? Also, how do I get a State tax ID number?

Thank you for your help! :)

August 29, 2008 at 4:27 am
(38) Russ says:

I’m not a citizen of United States but I have just SSN and J1 visa. I filled up the W9 Form for one employer. I must pay any taxes?

August 29, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(39) William Perez says:

Russ, I am not familiar with all the details of the J-1 visa program. It’s my understanding that a holder of a J-1 visa is authorized to work only for the sponsoring organization.
Whether or not your income will be taxable depends on several factors. The basic answer is that income earned while working in the United States will be fully taxable in the United States, unless either a US law or a tax treaty provides otherwise. You can find more information in the US Tax Guide for Aliens from the Internal Revenue Service web site.

September 2, 2008 at 5:03 pm
(40) Darin Rae Reeves says:

I just received a W-9 form and I’m a little confused on how to fill it out. I’m a college student and I was hired to assist a handicapped student on campus. I only had to fill out a small portion of the form, but at the end beside my signature it asked for TITLE and I would like to know what I am supposed to place in the section.

September 2, 2008 at 5:21 pm
(41) William Perez says:

Darin, since you are filing the W-9 as an individual, you do not need to indicate your title. The title is only used when a company fills out the form, and the person signing the form would then need to indicate their position in the company.

September 3, 2008 at 6:26 pm
(42) Marco says:

I am a part-time, work from my home office graphic designer. So far, all of the services I have provided for various people have just been paid to me through PayPal. However, recently a client has hired me to do a large project, and they have requested that I fill out the W-9. It’s just me, I have no employees. I do not have a EIN… Do I just need to fill in my SSN? Are they one in the same (EIN and SSN) in my case? Thanks! :)

September 3, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(43) taxes says:

Marco, you’re right: in your case, use your SSN. If your design business continues to grow, you might want to think about incorporating your business. If you incorporate, you would then have a separate business name and tax id number. But you’ll want to talk to a tax pro about the pros & cons of incorporating first, as some business strategies can lower your taxes, but others can raise your taxes.

September 3, 2008 at 6:48 pm
(44) Marco says:

Thank you… I went ahead and got my EIN from the IRS. Is it better for me to use that or my SSN for the W-9 my client requested?

September 3, 2008 at 6:57 pm
(45) taxes says:

Marco, since you’ve obtained an EIN, go ahead and use that on the W-9 form. Then when you file your tax return, make sure to use the EIN where you report your business income and expenses (probably on the Schedule C, is what I’m guessing).

September 3, 2008 at 6:59 pm
(46) Marco says:

Great! Thank you so much for the very prompt responses! I appreciate it!!

September 4, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(47) Magic says:

Is it possible to sign the W9 on a computer with Adobe Reader? If yes, how so?

September 6, 2008 at 8:27 am
(48) Lisa says:

I’ve filled out a W-9s and W-4s before and I’m familiar with what that forms are used for, but I just started with a new agency and was requested to fill out both the W-9 and the W-4 at the time of hire. The contract I signed states I am an independant contractor and will be receiving paychecks from the agency’s main office, so I’m confused about why I would have to fill out and sign both these tax forms. How would this agency use both forms? Shouldn’t it be one or the other?

September 8, 2008 at 9:13 pm
(49) taxes says:

Lisa, the company should have given you only the W-9 to sign. I have no idea why they gave you a W-4 as well. I’ve never heard of someone doing that before. You might want to ask them why, because it sounds very confusing.

September 9, 2008 at 2:14 pm
(50) Sean says:

Hi, I’m Sean. I’m a doctor starting up a medical private practice and recently became a professional limited liability corporation after consulting my attorney. Since I’m just opening up shop, I do 2 other contract jobs on the side (doing the same thing I do in the business-medication management). So my question is: when I fill out the W-9 forms, do I put my business name? (which is my name plus MD and PLLC behind it) and do I check “other” and put “PLLC” in the 3rd line and do i check “exempt from backup wihholding” or not? and lastly, do I put my EIN instead of my SS#? I don’t know much about tax stuff..your input would be very much valued. And by the way, I had already filled out a W-9 for one of the contract jobs which I previously filled out as “sole propietor” (this was before I formed PLLC)..so should I update them with a new W-9? Thanks…

September 9, 2008 at 3:44 pm
(51) Heather says:

I am a general contractor and I use sub-contracted labor. I have a sub that issued an invalid tax identification number on their W-9 which I submitted to the IRS. I was notified of this by the IRS, but what he gave me matched what he put on the W-9. Can I continue to use him as a sub or does this become my responsibility at some point if he continues to use invalid tax identification numbers? Thanks.

September 9, 2008 at 7:47 pm
(52) William Perez says:

Doctor Sean, you should probably be using your PLLC entity for all your contracting jobs as well. Indeed, indicate the name of your PLLC and its EIN on the W-9 form. You can also submit a new W-9 to the other client for whom you do contract work to update them with the name and EIN of your entity. PLLCs are exempt from backup withholding. The only exception would be if the IRS has notified the PLLC that it is required to have backup withholding (but this would be a rare situation for PLLCs since they are normally exempt from income tax at the entity level).

September 9, 2008 at 8:02 pm
(53) William Perez says:

Heather, if the name and the SSN does not match with IRS or Social Security records, then you are required to ask the subcontractor to correct the situation. If the contractor doesn’t correct the information, then you will be required to withhold 30% of the subcontractor’s gross payments, and turn that 30% over to the IRS. See pages 13-16 of Publication 1281 [pdf] for what steps to take after you’ve been notified by the IRS that the name/SSN doesn’t match their records.

September 12, 2008 at 11:57 pm
(54) Debby says:

I’m selling some used equipment (about 30 years old) to a University. I’m not a business, the items are my personal posessions. They sent a w-9 form to me to fill out. I’m not concerned about the form itself, because I’m not subject to backup withholding. What concerns me is that the w-9 indicates to me that the buyer might be planning on sending erroneous information to IRS, indicating that the payment for the equipment is income. It isn’t income. Are they making a mistake?

September 16, 2008 at 11:42 am
(55) JP says:

Hi! My husband is filing a W9 Form. He is a resident alien, employee here in the U.S., and originally from the Philippines. Should he check the box “Exempt from Backup Withholding” or not? If he does or doesn’t not, what will happen…what does it mean?
Thank you.

September 17, 2008 at 11:36 pm
(56) mikey says:

helo, I am kind of Marco’s case. I actualy did some website which provides $, and I got certain amount of money so they need to see w-9 form. I am us-citizen, but the website isn’t my business at all. So anyway, on name and address, i put my name and my house address? Also on checkbox, do i mark on individual/sore proprietor? I understand I am individual but I am not sole proprietor. Like i said I dont run any business, just a student. I heard if I give requester w-9 form and my personal tax income from my parttime job might increase or something when I get check. Is that true? anyway plz help

September 18, 2008 at 3:10 am
(57) Tiffany says:


I am renting my first apartment in a building that was recently sold. I was sent a letter from the new management company with a copy of the W-9 form to fill out, saying it was necessary for separating the tenant security deposits into individual accounts to be managed by a third party. I thought this was strange based on the definition of the form, since I haven’t done any work for them and don’t own any part of the building. Is this a normal procedure?


September 18, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(58) taxes says:

JP, your husband should leave the exempt payee box unchecked. It does not apply to individuals.

September 18, 2008 at 1:20 pm
(59) taxes says:

Mikey, it sounds like you are doing some side work as a freelancer. In other words, this will be income to you as if you were running a business as a sole proprietor. No taxes will be taken out of these payments, instead you’ll report this business income on a schedule C, along with any expenses related to this work, and then calculate your tax and self employment tax. If this freelance work is going to generate additional taxes, you might want to start paying some estimated taxes to avoid owing additional tax when you file your tax return.

September 18, 2008 at 1:24 pm
(60) taxes says:

Tiffany, that does sound strange, and I’ve never heard of landlords doing that before. The only reason I can think of, off the top of my head, is that some landlords pay interest on the security deposits, and interest income could be subject to backup withholding, and could be reported to the IRS if the amount of interest paid is over $10 for the year. My guess is that the landlord is gathering names/SSNs as a way to prepare for reporting the interest income, but you should ask them about it just to find out if they are really required to have this document. As it is, most lease tenants provide their name and SSN as part of the rental application, so I imagine they already have this information on file.

September 18, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(61) taxes says:

Debby, this is a bit odd. You might want to ask the university why they think they need the W-9 form. My guess is that the university is setting you up as a vendor in their accounting system, and that they require W-9 forms for all vendors. Even though you are not a typical vendor, this could be a matter of the university’s internal accounting policies. Now, all income is presumptively considered taxable income, so this might be considered other income or perhaps capital gains, depending on whether the equipment is meets the definition of a capital asset. I’m not saying this will be taxable income — that will be determined by the facts and circumstances of your case — I’m just trying to think through the possible scenarios for why the university is requesting this form. If the university does report this to the IRS, you’ll need to figure out how to report this on your tax return so that your return will match up with the IRS records.

September 19, 2008 at 9:12 am
(62) Candice says:

Hi, I am a musician and I am trying to figure out what forms to do what with. Basically, I am a solo singer-songwriter with a band. When I get paid for a gig, I then pay my musicians. Up until now I reported earnings and expenses as a small business without having them fill out anything. But this year, some of our payments were through checks from organizations for larger amounts of money in my name only. I need to have some way to show that I did not pocket all of that. Do I have them fill out a W9 and a 1099? And then what do I do with those forms?


September 29, 2008 at 11:20 am
(63) Matt says:

Does anyone know if employers are legally required to give a W-9 form to contractors before they do they’re work. Or is it ok to do it after the work has been done?

September 29, 2008 at 7:24 pm
(64) taxes says:

Matt, the client can ask the contractor to fill out Form W-9 after the contractor has been engaged to provide services. The W-9 should be required before the end of the year, however, so that the client can obtain the proper name and SSN for the 1099 forms.

September 29, 2008 at 8:15 pm
(65) June says:

I am asking this for a friend,she told me her landlord has passed out w9 forms for each tenant to fill out. Is this legal ? and why does your landlord need this information ?

September 29, 2008 at 9:18 pm
(66) taxes says:

June, this is similar to the question raised by Tiffany above (#54, with my response in #57). Basically, I don’t know why landlords are requesting this. The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is that some landlords are required to pay interest on the security deposit. And interest payments over $10 per year are required to be reported to the IRS using Form 1099-INT. Thus the landlord may need to verify the tenant’s name and SSN for their filing purposes. Your friend should ask the landlord why the Form W-9 is being sent out, and how the information will be used.

October 3, 2008 at 8:22 pm
(67) Jackie Dean says:

I recently began a new job: an internship at a brokerage firm. They had me fill out a W-9 form and my first paycheck was without taxes. I know I will have to pay it eventually, so my question is how can I know how much to set aside for tax, and when do I pay it? Please respond, I don’t want to start spending only to get in the mail a tax bill I can’t pay later on!

October 4, 2008 at 11:52 am
(68) Jeff says:

We have hired two consultants for work on a project in a foreign country. These are US based consultants. If we have only reimbursed their travel expenses (flight, hotel, etc) and not the actual consultation work, do these expenses need to be reported on a 1099?

October 11, 2008 at 12:25 pm
(69) Mike says:

I just recieved money in settlement case and I spent over $250000 and only recived this money in settlement nd it was a civil case where they decide to take a loss and gave me the 20000 in full settlement. It was civil trial case so do I have to pay taxes on this as liabilty is more than my assets

October 12, 2008 at 12:18 am
(70) Teacher says:

I am a teacher and I am mentoring two students. There is a generous foundation that provides money for me to take my mentees on trips, purchase school supplies for them, et cetera.

In the past, the foundation simply reimbursed me for the out of pocket expenses of the activities once I submitted receipts. This year they are giving me an $800 “honorarium”. They also sent me a W-9.

Here is my concern–that this money, which I plan to spend on the students, will be considered income. I pay very simple taxes, but I do get some tax credits for student loan interest. However, this phases out the more I make. Will this $800 “honorarium” possibly harm me financially?

Normally–I don’t itemize my deductions; I take the automatic deduction instead. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Can I deduct what I spend on the students from the $800 if I save my receipts?

I understand that they are giving teachers this money upfront because many were strapped for cash, and had a hard time funding activities. Any thoughts about this? Thank you!

October 12, 2008 at 11:35 pm
(71) RN says:

I just received a W9 form to fill out. I have no clue why. I have a part time job in a rehab facility, not self employed. Never been self employed, ever. Why did I receive a W9 and for what? Thank you.

October 18, 2008 at 5:15 pm
(72) sue says:

i am a landlord and my tenant is trying to get the government to pay his rent, he is currently getting disability from them. My tenant asked me to fill out a w-9 form. Why should I? What is that going to do?

October 24, 2008 at 6:35 pm
(73) Tamara says:

My husband just started a painting business. He gets his jobs from a contractor in which he submits a W-9 to. My husband also has sub-contractors that work for him. What form does the sub-contractors fill out and give to my husband? i know they will recive a 1099 at the end of the year and so will my husband from the contractor he is working for…… but this is all a little confusing to me.


October 24, 2008 at 7:22 pm
(74) taxes says:

Jackie Dean, the brokerage firm you are working for is treating you as an independent contractor. That means you’ll be reporting this income as self-employment. The good thing about this: you’ll be able to deduct any job-related expenses directly from your income without needing to itemize like you would if you were an employee. The downside is you are responsible for paying your own income taxes and self-employment taxes (which replaces the Social Security and Medicare tax that would be deducted from your check if you were an employee). Now each person’s situation is different, but generally if the company can control how you work, and if you don’t have a lot of out of pocket expenses, you’ll end up paying more tax as an independent contractor. So you might want to ask them to treat you as an employee.

That being said, you should start estimating your taxes. Figure out what tax bracket you’ll be in for 2008, and then add 15.3% on top of that for the self-employment tax. That will provide a rough estimate of how much you should be setting aside for taxes.

A quick example. Let’s say you’re in the 25% federal tax bracket, plus 15.3% for self-employment, plus 9.3% for state taxes. That’s a combined tax bracket of 49.6%. So as a rough guide, try to set aside half of your pay for taxes. Of course, your actual tax bill will be lower than that because you’ll have some deductions or tax credits that you’ll claim, and some of your income will be taxed at lower tax brackets. But this is a sort of rough and ready tool I use in budgeting.

To get a more accurate picture of your tax situation, you’ll need to dig in and figure out your estimated tax. And the best way to do this is to create a sample tax return for this year to see how the numbers work out.

October 24, 2008 at 7:23 pm
(75) taxes says:

Jeff, yes, any reimbursements to your consultants are included on the 1099-MISC as non-employee compensation.

October 24, 2008 at 7:28 pm
(76) taxes says:

Mike, most legal settlements are taxable. The exceptions are for physical injury or sickness and for property damage. Whether your settlement is taxable depends on the nature of the underlying claims.

Legal fees are deductible only if the legal claim involved the production of income (for example, were related to keeping your job or defending a business contract) or if the fee was for tax related services. There’s more details about when legal fees are deductible on the IRS Web site.

October 24, 2008 at 7:31 pm
(77) taxes says:

Teacher, this honorarium will be reported to you as self-employment income. Any funds you spend on your students will then be an expense that will directly offset that income, and you will be taxed only on the net income left over. Take a look at the Schedule C or the shorter Schedule C-EZ to see how you will be reporting this on your return. The expenses will directly offset your income, and you won’t need to itemize.

October 24, 2008 at 7:33 pm
(78) taxes says:

RN, I don’t know why you received a W-9 to fill out. It doesn’t sound like you should have. Ask you employer why they sent that form to you.

October 24, 2008 at 7:35 pm
(79) taxes says:

Sue, the form will be used by HUD to report the rental payments to you and to the IRS. My only concern here is that you give the W-9 form directly to HUD, so as to protect your name and SSN from identity theft.

October 24, 2008 at 7:39 pm
(80) taxes says:

Tamara, here’s how it will work. Your submit submits a W-9 to the contractor he works for. He’ll then get a 1099-misc showing the total amount of money paid to him by the contractor. In turn, you should collect W-9 forms from your sub-contractors. And you should issue 1099-misc forms to them showing the total amount of money paid to them during the year.

October 30, 2008 at 1:18 pm
(81) Scott says:

MY wife and I just built a home in which we purchased the appliances for the home. The builder was then reimburing us from his draw from our construction loan for these items. He has now stated that we will need to complete a W-9 form for this payment. Why would we need to complete this form when the amount that we receive is part of our construction loan that will be paying for?

October 31, 2008 at 5:38 pm
(82) katy says:

I play video games on a website for money. The payouts are very small and I have never been able to cash out cause of losing, however they want me to fill out a W9 form and I have no idea what it is and I was just wondering will I have to pay money at tax time for my winnings? Thank you

November 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm
(83) William Perez says:

Scott, this sounds very unusual to me. Usually, contractors obtain a W-9 from any of their subcontractors so that they have the subcontractor’s name and SSN so that 1099 forms can be generated to report their income. In your case, you are not receiving income from the contractor. You don’t need to fill out this form.

November 2, 2008 at 8:52 pm
(84) William Perez says:

Katy, the W9 form is used to report payments of income for nonemployees, usually contractors and investors and the recipients of prizes and awards. You might fall under this prizes and awards category. But your prize money will be reported only if your total prizes for the whole year are $600 or more. If that’s the case, then the video game company will need to verify your name and SSN using Form W-9. If not, then you won’t need to fill out this form.

November 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(85) Lisa Sherrell says:

My question is we hired a contractor to build a garage for us in our backyard. Do we need him to fill out a W-9 form? By law if we present him with a W-9 form is he required to fill it out? He has walked off the job and we are no longer on speaking terms. If I mail one to him and request him to fill it out by law does he have to provide the information to us?

November 3, 2008 at 6:53 pm
(86) William Perez says:

Lisa, if you are an individual, then no you are not required to ask the contractor to fill out the W-9 form. However, if you are a business, then you would be required to get the W-9 form before you send out a 1099 to report the contractor’s income to the IRS.

November 5, 2008 at 4:24 am
(87) Angie says:

I am a US citizen, but I have lived in Australia for over 11 years, serving as a missionary with my husband. I’ve started doing some online marketing to earn some extra income, mostly through affiliate marketing. I am being asked to fill out W-9 forms for some of the companies that I’m earning commissions from. Because I have dual citizenship and live outside the US, is this the correct form? I just want to be sure, because one of the ‘biggies’ in the industry told me I didn’t have to fill out the form because I was living overseas and none of the ‘work’ was being done in the US. Do you have any knowledge on this one?

November 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm
(88) Olga says:

I am filling out a W-9 for my 17 year old who is a referee and will not make more than 400 in one year. Can I check of the exempt payee or leave it. Will we have to file his income as part of ours or does his income stay separate? At what amount will he be required to pay taxes?

November 14, 2008 at 9:28 am
(89) Heather says:

Can you provide clarification on disregarded entities? I was under the assumption that all LLCs, partnerships, etc. unless they were granted corp status by the IRS were reportable. (Assuming they were providing services) Does marking “D” on the W9 indicate that they are not reportable? Or is this a completely separate issue?

November 19, 2008 at 1:48 pm
(90) Samantha says:

I am a real estate broker. I have the agent’s SS# because I have a copy of the filled-in application (although it’s not signed) which was sent to the commission and a license was granted.

Do I need to send the Form W-9 since I already have the SS#?

Please inform. ~thanks.

November 21, 2008 at 10:31 am
(91) TheJuneBride says:

Thanks for sharing this information! My question is this: In Feb of this year, I opened an online shop where I sell handmade items and have recently started consigning some things to various boutiques around the US. Only one has asked for a W-9. Will this change anything when tax time rolls around, or is it just for keeping track of people and income? I have an EIN, state tax withholding and a DBA. I’ve never filed a Sched C before. Thanks!

November 23, 2008 at 12:44 am
(92) taxes says:

Angie, you are likely being required to fill out the W-9 form because you are working as an independent contractor for these affiliate companies. This is a standard practice. The form is used to send you a 1099-MISC form to report your earnings if the affiliate pays you $600 or more during the year. Living in Australia is not directly relevant here. The important thing is that you are a US citizen. Non-citizens fill out a different form (one of the various W-8 forms) for similar payments. You’ll report this income along with any associated business expenses on a Schedule C. Now, as a citizen living abroad, you are likely eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion, which allows you to earn up to $91,400 tax-free. The catch is this applies only to the income tax. You are still responsible for paying the Self-Employment Tax, which is 15.3 percent of your net income from these types of self-employment activities. So in terms of your tax situation, the important thing will be to keep track of your expenses so you can keep the self-employment tax as low as possible.

November 23, 2008 at 1:16 am
(93) taxes says:

Olga, what a great question. The short answer is that your son should leave the exempt payee box unchecked. Most of the time, taxes will not be withheld from the payments. The IRS would notify your son if the IRS wanted to start mandatory backup withholding on his income.

Now for a slightly longer answer. Your son’s income is his, and so would be reported on his own tax return. In this case, he would use a 1040 because your son has self-employment income from his referee-ing. This would go on a Schedule C. There he will report his gross income from being a referee, plus any associated expenses, and thus arrive at a net income. This net income would be subject to both the regular income tax and the self-employment tax (which covers Medicare and Social Security taxes).

Now, normally most self-employed persons need to file a return. However, there’s an exception for persons who have less than $400 in net self-employment income. In your son’s case, if he’s earning less than $400 from being a referee, then he does not have a filing requirement, according to the IRS in Publication 17. At that level of income, he would not have either a self-employment tax liability nor an income tax liability.

That being sad, it may be instructive for him to fill out a tax return (with your help, of course) just to see what the tax forms look like and to understand how the tax system works.

November 23, 2008 at 1:24 am
(94) taxes says:

Heather, a disregarded entity simply means that an entity (such as a LLC) might be recognized as a separate legal entity at the state level, but does not have a separate legal (or tax) status for federal tax purposes. This usually occurs with single-member LLCs, which are treated as not separate from the member for federal tax purposes.

Marking “D” to indicate that the LLC is disregarded does not make the income non-reportable. Rather, it means the IRS will expect the income to be reported under the name/SSN of the member rather than under a separate business name/EIN for the LLC. Accordingly, the IRS instructs (on page 2 of the W-9 form) that a single member LLC report his or her name, followed by the name of the LLC. If your LLC has an EIN, report that in the taxpayer identification number section; otherwise use your SSN.

November 23, 2008 at 1:31 am
(95) taxes says:

Samantha, good question! We request W-9 forms partly to verify the agent’s name and SSN, and partly to make sure that they aren’t subject to mandatory backup withholding. This certification that the agent isn’t subject to backup withholding protects the payor, and so it’s advisable to obtain a Form W-9 at least once. You may want to review IRS’s Instructions for the Requester of Form W-9 (pdf, 4 pages).

November 23, 2008 at 1:39 am
(96) taxes says:

TheJuneBride, you are right that the W-9 is used more for keeping track of people. It shouldn’t effect how you’ll report your income. Basically, you will be reporting your income and associated business expenses on a Schedule C. So download that form and start to familiarize yourself with it. Even if you use software or an accountant, this is the part of the tax return where all your sales and supplies will show up. I provide a basic overview what independent contractors, freelancers, and other small business entrepreneurs should be considering in my article on tax tips for freelancers.

The basic thing to remember is that this income is subject to two different taxes. There’s the regular income tax. Plus there’s the self employment tax, which is pays for Social Security and Medicare. Both taxes are based on your net income from the business. So keeping track of your expenses is key to minimizing these taxes.

December 3, 2008 at 12:14 pm
(97) George says:

As a transportation broker I require my independant contractors (carriers) to fill out a w-9. In lieu of the w-9 could I just require their tax id number? Thanks!

December 3, 2008 at 7:36 pm
(98) Mike says:

I have a question. I am a freelance writer, and I was told to get an EIN so that, when I receive writing jobs through the Internet, I do not have to submit my SSN. I can use my EIN instead.

Here’s my question. For a couple of these positions, they are sending me a W-9 to fill out. Can I use my EIN in the SSN field on the W-9? Is this OK/legal to do? And will I need to indicate that it is in fact an EIN, or can I just place that number down in the SSN field on the W-9 with no problem.


December 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm
(99) Dani says:

i am a therapist who owns a PLLC. i have another therapist who works for me as an independent contractor. how does she complete the w-9? does she include her personal information or my company’s information (EIN, address). i have numerous insurance companies that want a w-9 form for her in order for her to get on their panels. also, do i have to complete a 1099 at the end of the year for her? thanks.

December 4, 2008 at 7:57 pm
(100) Bridget says:

We have a small business (corporation) that sells items to the public and to other businesses in the re-modeling and construction industry. Basicly we are a store. We are not a contractor, sub-contractor, or freelance. Do we have to fill out a W-9 for the businesses that we sell product to? Have the rules changed? In the past we could advise a customer that we were a “corporation” and that a w-9 was not required. On the other side do we need to have W-9′s from businesses that we purchase product from?

December 15, 2008 at 2:25 pm
(101) William Berry says:

My Mother passed away in May of this year, leaving behind a very small estate. She had a simple will, naming me as executor and my brother and I as the only heirs. While going through her stuff I discovered an insurance policy on my deceased father, that she knew nothing about. I contacted the insurance company and it seems there is a small settlement due to her estate. I have filled out all the forms and they have sent me a W-9 asking me to fill out and return with the Tax Identification Number for the estate. As far as I know there is no number on record. How do I get that number and whose name should go on the “Name” line?

December 15, 2008 at 9:14 pm
(102) Elaine says:

I have been asked to fill out a W9 for a “scholarship” travel award to a professional organization meeting. Why would a “scholarship” as they are calling it require a W-9?

December 16, 2008 at 6:37 pm
(103) taxes says:

Elaine, scholarships are tax-free only if you are in a degree-seeking program at a college or university and if the funds are used to pay for tuition, fees, or books. It is likely that the scholarship you received does not meet these criteria, and so will be taxable income to you, hence why you’re receiving a W-9 form to fill out.

December 16, 2008 at 6:47 pm
(104) taxes says:

William Berry, you might need a separate tax id number (an EIN) for the estate. You may want to ask your attorney or tax advisor about this, as estates can be a confusing area to deal with. Generally, estates are named using the person’s full legal name followed by the word “Estate”.

December 18, 2008 at 8:30 am
(105) Diana says:

This year I requested a W-9 form from everyone of my venders who provides a service for us. My questions is this…some of my venders ask that their checks be made payable to them (personal name) but their W-9 came back their name and DBA name. They provided both their ss# and EIN#. So when completing the 1099 Misc do I put their name on it or their DBA name on it? Also, I have several that came back with their personal name & SS#, their DBA name and EIN# and their invoice for the service and make checks payable to: was for another name? I’m confused and my auditors werent much help.

December 22, 2008 at 1:37 pm
(106) KC says:

I work in tractor sales. I sold some Kubota equipment in 2008. I get paid from my employer for these sales, but out of the clear blue sky, I got a check from Kubota Tractor Corporation for a few hundred dollars. I am not an employee of Kubota, nor am I a contractor for Kubota, or am I self employed. Now they want W-9 information. Do I need to give them my personal information? I figured since I do not fit into any of those catagories, employee, contractor, self employed,this money was a gift.

December 22, 2008 at 6:35 pm
(107) William Perez says:

Diana, I’d issue the 1099 in the name of the business and use the EIN. When both sets of information are provided (both personal name and business name, SSN and EIN) this usually indicates a single-member LLC. Issuing the 1099 in the name of the business won’t alter the tax treatment of the income … the business owner will still report this on his or her tax return.

December 22, 2008 at 6:41 pm
(108) William Perez says:

KC, it sounds to me like Kubota is sending you a commission check for the sales you made. Technically, Kubota is not required to send you a 1099 unless they paid you $600 or more during the year. If your commission check was below this amount, it’s safe to ignore the W-9. If your commission check was $600 or more, then it will be a good idea to fill out the W9. That’s because without the W9 Kubota would be required to withhold taxes at a flat rate of 28%. Filling out this form will allow the company to skip the withholding requirement.

As for how you’ll report the income, I would say that all depends on your relationship with Kubota. 1099-reported income could go in one of several places on the tax return. Usually it’s reported on Schedule C or C-EZ for self-employment income.

December 23, 2008 at 1:18 pm
(109) lando says:

Hi Wil, Thanks for answering all the questions in such prompt manner. I’m a DJ and I will be having my very first corporate job. Most of the time I am hire for small parties or private events. This is not my full time job and now the company that wants to hire me for their event wants me to fill-out one of this forms. I do not have a company name as i go by the DJ name only. Also they are asking me for liability insurance since I will be teaching a dance lesson as well. It really confuses me and how much should i expect uncle sam to take if they want me to fill out the form.

December 23, 2008 at 1:22 pm
(110) lando says:

Oh yeah, i forgot to ask. Is there a cap for the amount of taxable money you have to report with W-9? the 600 cap confuse me. Does this mean I am exempt if I charge below 600 or simply that 600 guarantees you will be filling out a W-9.

December 23, 2008 at 5:43 pm
(111) William Perez says:

Lando, basically the company will send you a 1099-Misc form to report your payment if your total payments for the year from that company is $600 or more. That income will be reported along with your other DJ income on your Schedule C. Liability insurance would be a tax-deductible business expense for you. You should check with a couple of insurance brokers to get quotes for a policy. My policy runs only about $500 a year, so it’s something I feel is fairly affordable.

December 29, 2008 at 7:09 pm
(112) Scott says:

I rent a duplex to a lady who uses it as a home business (accounting), as well as living in it. She wants me to fill out a w-9. I claim my rental income on a Schedule E and (I only have the one duplex.) Do I need to give her my SSN or should I refuse to fill it out? Will her filing generate a 1099-MISC from the IRS?

This is the first time a renter has ever requested my SSN

December 29, 2008 at 11:25 pm
(113) taxes says:

The instructions for requesters of Form W-9 from the IRS web site do not address the question of whether landlords need to fill out a W9. However, the instructions for Form 1099-MISC indicate that rents of $600 or more are reportable on Form 1099-MISC, unless those rents are paid to a real estate agent acting on behalf of the landlord. In that case, there should only be a 1099-misc from the agent to the landlord. So what I suspect is the tenant is acting on the safe side and will be reporting the business portion of her rent on a 1099-misc issued to you, and in that case the tenant will need your SSN or EIN to facilitate the sending out of the 1099. Now personally I have rarely seen 1099-misc forms for rental income, and usually only in the case where the landlord has hired a property management company to act as his agent. However considering what the IRS instructions say about rent, I suppose it’s not too surprising that this accountant wants to send you a 1099. If you’re leery about having your SSN floating around, you might consider setting up a single-member LLC with its own EIN number to collect the rental income; your tax accountant can give you more advice on whether you could utilize this as part of a larger tax strategy. Finally, the 1099-misc you will likely receive should only be for the business portion of the rent. You won’t know what the business portion is, but it should be less than the total rent. This should not impact your tax reporting at all, since all your rental income will continue to be reported on your Schedule E.

December 30, 2008 at 1:55 pm
(114) Kathy says:

After 4 years I have been asked to fill out a W-9 form. It is my understanding that if you make under 600 per year the company does not have to file with the IRS. Why have I been asked to fill out a W-9 and is this now filed with the IRS?

December 30, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(115) Kathy says:

Hello how do I leave a comment what is the url?

December 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm
(116) Kathy says:

Hello again – please disregard the last question. To add to the first question – if you determine that I must submit the W-9 to the company, is this just kept for thier files? What happens to it? I made exactly 600 for the year.

January 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm
(117) Carolgig says:

I have the same question as Kathy, I am disabled and on SSD and SSI and brought in $600.00 last year. Do I have to file taxes now that my employer has asked me to fill out a W9. I have not filled taxes since I became disabled. Is the W9 just for record purposes?

January 9, 2009 at 9:22 am
(118) am says:

I do some freelance graphic design, but not much. I’ve never been asked to fill out a W9 before and I just got one. For this particular company I did receive over $600, but included in that money was printing vendor charges for their products. The printing charges were normally the majority of the invoice prices. What I actually earned for the jobs wasn’t much. How do I deal with this? Is there a form I can fill out that shows that all of the money didn’t go to me? I do have all of the printing receipts and invoices. Thanks.

January 12, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(119) Aivy says:

Hi, I’m a model and my agent just asked me to fill out a W9. However, I am underage and am wondering if I’m still authorized to fill out the form.

Thank you

January 12, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(120) Mike says:


I am working as a contractor in 2009. In 2008 I was salary and working for a company and did not fill out a W-9 form. I am also being paid in US dollars to a US bank account but my residence is in Australia.

I am wondering if I need to pay Estimated Taxes if I was not a contractor for 2008, if not will I have to pay all my taxes come tax time next year, and if I have to pay anything if I live in a different country.


January 12, 2009 at 11:51 pm
(121) taxes says:

Mike, if you are a US citizen or resident alien, you will report and pay taxes on your worldwide income. However, the US tax code provides a generous tax exclusion of up to $91,400 if you work and live abroad under the foreign earned income exclusion. As an independent contractor, you will still be responsible for paying the self-employment tax of 15.3%, which covers the Social Security and Medicare taxes. That tax is not excluded by working abroad. As such, I would calculate your estimated taxes by taking 15.3% of your expected income as a contractor, plus regular tax on any amounts above the foreign income exclusion.

Hope this helps,


January 14, 2009 at 7:40 am
(122) John says:

My roommate rented our house out for the 2009 Inauguration weekend. We rented it out for roughly $10,000 for 4 nights/5days to a corporation. This corporation requested that my roommate give me a copy of his W9. He is claiming that he is going to be taxed 28% on the money they gave us for the house rental. Is this true? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/20/AR2008112003595.html

January 14, 2009 at 7:42 am
(123) John says:

My roommate rented our house out for the 2009 Inauguration weekend. We rented it out for roughly $10,000 for 4 nights/5days to a corporation. This corporation requested that my roommate give me a copy of his W9. He is claiming that he is going to be taxed 28% on the money they gave us for the house rental. Is this true? I know that Mayor Fenty has suspended property rules to allow residents to rent their house and the DC tax office has suspended its 14.5% tax on property rentals.

January 14, 2009 at 11:32 pm
(124) Shine says:

Hi, my father just received a W-9 request from Capital One with no explanation. He does not have an account or credit card with them. I can’t imagine what it could be related to unless they can use it to obtain financial information and use that for marketing purposes. How is his taxpayer ID useful to them, and is it legal to send out W-9′s for the purpose of future solicitation?

January 15, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(125) Myra says:

Do I need a w-9 from the same independent contractor every year beginning in January if they work for us year afer year?

January 16, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(126) taxes says:

John, this rental income might not be taxable income for you and your roommate. See this section of Publication 527 which states:

“Exception for minimal rental use. If you use the dwelling unit as a home and you rent it fewer than 15 days during the year, do not include any of the rent in your income and do not deduct any of the rental expenses.”

So if this is the only rental use of the property, you’ll be well below the 15 days of rental use threshold, and the income you receive will be tax-free.

As such, I would not worry about submitting the Form W-9, as this will not trigger any tax consequences.

January 16, 2009 at 1:49 pm
(127) taxes says:

Shine, Form W-9 is used mostly to request name and tax ID numbers for independent contractors. So unless your dad does some contract work for Capital One, I would ignore this request altogether.

January 16, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(128) taxes says:

Myra, generally no you don’t need to request a new W-9 every year. The contractor should give you an updated W-9 if their information changes, such as they changed their name or address or have incorporated their business.

January 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm
(129) taxes says:

Aivy, yes you can and should fill out Form W-9.

January 16, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(130) taxes says:

am, your client will report the full amount of money they paid to you. You’ll then fill out Schedule C to report your business income and expenses. On that schedule, you’ll show the full amount you received from this and other clients, plus all of your associated expenses such as the printing. For more tips, see my article on Freelancing and taxes.

January 16, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(131) taxes says:

Kathy, the W-9 is usually retained by the company as part of their records. The company may verify your name and tax ID number against the IRS’ records. If there is a mismatch, the company will ask you to provide them with a new W-9. The company will also use the information on the W-9 to issue a Form 1099-MISC to report how much income they paid to you for the year. You’ll get one copy of this 1099-misc, and the IRS will get a copy as well.

January 19, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(132) Denise says:

I received w-9′s from performers we have paid. In some cases, the check was payable to an individual, but the W-9 they filled out was for a company, corp, LLC. Does the name on payment need to match the name I put on the 1099? Also, what happens if I requested w-9′s, but never received them?

January 19, 2009 at 9:10 pm
(133) taxes says:

Denise, if you don’t receive the W9s, how will you know what their SSNs are? If you don’t get their W9s, then you’ll be required to issue a 1099 with no SSN, and you’ll also be required to withhold 28% of their payments as backup withholding. For the name issue, I would start issuing the checks using the name they indicate on the W9.

January 21, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(134) Lia says:

Hello, hopefully you could help me understand my W-9 tax question. I am native american, and my indian tribe, provides our family with financial help with our school tuition, and extra curriculiar activities such as sports, dance etc..I recently requested for finanicial help to attend a dance workshop. They did approve it, but requested the person giving the workshop fill out a w-9 form. And, as soon as that is done the would send the payment directly to the person providing the workshop. I feel a little uncomfortable asking for tax information and not sure how to even explain why my indian tribe needs this info to send me.

January 21, 2009 at 9:01 pm
(135) William Perez says:

Lia, it sounds like the business that will be providing the financial help is going to report the money as income for the person giving the workshop. The workshop presenter will probably understand this. Basically, the information on the W9 form is used to fill out the 1099-misc form, which reports various types of payments. I would simply forward the information request to the presenter, and let the presenter contact the people providing the financial assistance if there’s any further questions.

January 22, 2009 at 9:37 am
(136) Karen says:

I have requested a W-9 to be completed from a person my company rents a home from. They have refused to supply me with the completed W-9. How do I report the money paid to them without an EIN or SS #?

January 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm
(137) Debbie says:

Please Answer #22 Melanie says: I have same question.
I am a new broker/owner of a real estate company. I’ve been asked to provide another agency with a W9 form. I am working together with one of their agents, but this other company does not provide my funding. Why would I be asked to give them a W9? Is this something new? Should I be asking every Realtor that I do business with for a W9?

January 22, 2009 at 3:17 pm
(138) William Perez says:

Fill out the 1099-misc form using all the information you know about the person such as their name, address, and dollar amount paid to them. Going forward, you will need to withhold 28% of their payments as backup withholding and turn that money over to the IRS. The person will be able to recover this withholding when they file their tax return.

January 22, 2009 at 3:53 pm
(139) William Perez says:

Debbie, the situation with the real estate broker is unclear to me. If you’re unclear why someone is asking for a W9 from you, then you should ask them why this form is necessary.

January 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(140) Genia says:

I worked as an employee from Jan 2008 – June 2008. Starting on Dec 1 2008, I’m working as an independent contractor and filled out a W9 form. I got paid in Jan 2009 for the work I did in Dec 2008 and it is more than $600. In what tax year will I pay taxes on my earnings that I recieved in Jan 2009 for work I did in Dec 2008? Should I receive a 1099 for the tax year 2008? I’m confused between the year the work was done and the year I got paid for that work. What if I don’t get paid for my Dec 2008 work until April 16, 2009?

January 26, 2009 at 11:52 am
(141) Brian says:

I have requested a W9 from an organization we contracted with. They returned W9 checking ‘other’ box in class field. They have also checked the exempt payee box. Do they need to specify which ‘other’ they are claiming or is this satisfactorily completed?

January 27, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(142) Matthew says:

If we received a security deposit back from our landlord during 2008 are we required to send a 1099 to them for their reporting purposes? What about for our taxing reporting purposes? Please advise.

January 29, 2009 at 12:02 am
(143) Barry says:

My wife and I have a partnership that manufactures and purchase products for resale. We do not sell “services” of any kind. I have had requests from customers for a W-9. Am I required to provide a W-9 if all we are doing is selling items for end use or resale? Thank you for providing the means to ask this question.

January 29, 2009 at 7:47 pm
(144) tina says:

I am a home stager and just received a request from a homeowner whom I staged their home when they were trying to sell it. They paid me over $600. Am I obligated to fill it out? If so, why do the homeowners need this information?

January 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm
(145) dm says:

I’m a member of an LLc that sells equipment. We have a customer who paid a deposit on an item in 2008 and will take delivery in 2009, as well as pay the balance. We are billing for the goods, not services. Should we be required to fill out a W-9?

January 31, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(146) LFC says:

I fill out the w9 with my name at the top and the name of my “business”, will I get into a mess? I do not have a business license as I only do about $400 of business a year using that business name. The name is only for invoicing purposes, everybody deals directly with me (I fix cars in my free time for extra cash). Thanks for the site, it’s great!

January 31, 2009 at 6:20 pm
(147) CMAC says:

Do we send a 1099 to all Vendors we either purchased items from or hired to do work for us? We have been getting the W9′s on some but not all, and we didn’t send 1099′s to all, only individual contractors.

January 31, 2009 at 11:01 pm
(148) KathyS says:

We recently sold our business & are financing the buyers. They were unable to pay a tax bill and a late fee and agreed (in writing) to reimburse us if we would pay it on their behalf. We did. Now they refuse to reimburse us until we file a W-9 so they can issue a 1099 at 2009 year end. Can they withhold our reimbursement until we issue them a W-9?

February 1, 2009 at 12:19 pm
(149) Erika says:

Hello. My husband is a painting contractor in California and we just had a client/homeower request of W-9 form. I know the purpose of the w-9 is to create a 1099 to report income paid to us, but I’m just curious why a homeowner might request this form? I thought is was for when we were a sub on a job or if we were contracted by a company. Can you shed some light on this. Some background may be that he might be self-employed and he and his wife built a home this year and had work done on it. Also, our TIN is just our SSN# if we are sole proprieters right?


February 2, 2009 at 12:38 am
(150) Lucas says:

I have a full time job as an employee and did some side work painting shipping containers for a company my friend works for.I did it about 4 times in 2008 and they never requested a W-9 form until january 30th they called for my social security number and adress. I wasnt at work then and recieved a msg. They also are past the due date right? I thought I was already suppose to get the 1099 by jan 31st. Or it had to be post marked by then? What penalties will they get for this? And can they get in trouble for waiting so long for requesting a W-9. I have never done any side work for a company. This was the first time and I am not a subcontractor, just a guy , a friend asked to paint some containers.

February 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm
(151) Melissa says:

My friend is a home improvement contractor. He was recently hired to do a repair where the homeowner is getting the money from the insurance company to do the repairs (an insurance claim, in other words). The insurance company has requested a W9 from my friend. Is that so they can report that he was paid this money and be sure he claims it on his taxes?

February 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm
(152) Tab says:

My husband and I just received (individually) substitute w-9 form request from our insurance company. Would anyone know why this might be? I’m still awaiting an answer fom my agent. Thanks.

February 3, 2009 at 8:05 am
(153) AR says:

My husband and I have full time jobs but got involved in a government funded program established to help couples relationships. We started working for them last week as a “host couple” helping out during classes, etc (one or two nights a week) and they asked all the “host couples” to fill out a W-9. What is this for and will they withhold taxes from our pay? We’ve been told by other couples that have worked there a while that they don’t withhold taxes? Will this be considered misc income when it comes time to file taxes or will it be considered a “self-employment” even though we are not a business nor are we contractors? Thanks for any information.

February 5, 2009 at 8:50 am
(154) Nitin says:


I am a foreign resident doing contractual work for some USA based entities. I have been asked to fill out Form W-9. Do I need to fill out this form? Do I need to fill out any other form? Am I liable to tax in the USA.

February 5, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(155) Carl says:

Hi i received a W-9 for winning a fantasy baseball prize of $1600. I just received also the 1099-MISC from the company today, so i was wondering if anyone could help me since i have a couple questions if so my email is [***]. Would ask them here but since its different from most questions i will think it be to confusing.

February 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm
(156) Jeff says:

I recieved a W9 from a company that I made a one time deal where I furnished them some parts. 50% of what I got the W9 for was my cost for the parts, how can I deduct the cost from my taxes?

February 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm
(157) Amy W says:

Is there a date that 1099-misc forms must be mailed to recipient? I understand that W 2 forms must be mailed by 1-31, is that also true for 1099- misc. forms?

February 11, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(158) SASHA MADRIGAL says:

i hired someone that filled out a w-9 form (subcontractor). i gave out my w-2 forms to my regular employees (employess that filed w-4 initially) but this particular person filed a w-9 . Do i also give him a
w-2 form? Or don’t give him anything since he has his own company?
im confused? please help.

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(159) taxes says:

Sasha, since this was a subcontractor, you’ll report payments to him using Form 1099-MISC and report it as non-employee compensation.

February 17, 2009 at 2:01 pm
(160) SherryR says:

Turned a sole proprietorship into an LLC 1/1/09. I know I didn’t really turn it into, but really created a 2nd entity. Now need to send out new w9. What should the letter say?

February 24, 2009 at 5:55 pm
(161) Haley says:

My sister has been cleaning a church for almost 2 years and today (2/24/09) she was told that she would have to fill out a W-9 and report her pay from last year, 2008. She has already filled her taxes for 2008 and is not sure what to do now about having to fill out this form. Since it was their neglect to supply her with this form or even notify her that she would have to fill it out, after 2 years, would she have to report those wages?

February 25, 2009 at 4:22 pm
(162) William Perez says:

SherryR, simply send out your new W-9 to your clients and let them know that you’ve formed a separate business (your LLC) and that this new W9 can be used to update their records.

February 25, 2009 at 4:26 pm
(163) William Perez says:

Haley, we always need to report all of our income, even if we don’t have a tax document to indicate the amount we made. So, yes, she may need to amend her tax return if she left this income off.

It’s a bit late for the church to be sending out 1099-MISC forms for last year. It sounds like they are catching up on their accounting.

February 27, 2009 at 10:37 am
(164) Anna Dresel says:

I work for a government agency with senior volunteers. If a group is conducting a research study and gives the senior $25.00 is the research organization required to complete a W-9 with a list of names and Social Security numbers? Can the $25.00 be considered a volunteer recognition gift?

March 4, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(165) Laina D. says:

hello. i am a nanny that has been served a 1099. i am just a girl, no company etc, and did not know what this would come to mean. i filled out a w9 at the beginning of work and did not know what that was either. does this mean i can not dispute the 1099, because i filled out the w9. i feel i should be a w2 household employee. any thoughts on the legality of this.

apologies my caps and question marks do not work…

March 12, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(166) Sue says:

I work for a Texas Corporation and I am being told that I have to fill out a W9 Form before someone will release payments to me. I should not receive a 1099 form at the end of the year from this customer. Why do I have to send them a W9 Form?

March 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(167) Michelle says:

I work in a hospital accounting department. We pay physicians for various services they provide to the hospital monthly. How should a individual physician or medical group complete a W9? We require this information when we negotiate the contract with the phyisicians.

March 16, 2009 at 12:39 pm
(168) George H says:

I am joining an affilate independent company as a publisher for them to put ads on my site however it states if you make over a certain amount in a year I have to fill out a W9 Form. problem: Im a Canadian. Do I still have to fill it out?

March 16, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(169) William Perez says:

George H., instead of using Form W-9, you’ll use Form W-8BEN instead. This form is used by nonresidents to certify that they are exempt from mandatory withholding, or to certify that they are eligible for a reduced rate of withholding under the provision of a tax treaty. As long as your business has no presence in the USA, you will likely qualify not to be subject to tax reporting and withholding. You may want to speak briefly with a tax professional experienced with US-Canada taxation to make sure you are handling the US side of things properly.

March 18, 2009 at 10:02 am
(170) Karen says:

I work for a Canadian company and we have number of US clients. When beginning a relationship (contract) with a client, we are asked for our Taxpayer ID and we provide the W8Ben. My question is: Why are we regularly asked for the form again the next year? Does the form expire somehow? Is there a legal reason to request year over year? We don’t mind resubmitting the form but we don’t know why we really need to. Thanks for your time!

March 18, 2009 at 11:08 am
(171) Bryan says:

I do affiliate marketing on the side, with networks such as Commission Junction, Amazon, Linkshare, and ClickBank. If I make less than $600 on some of these and more than $600 on the others, do I only report those affiliate earnings in which I received more than $600 for the year? Please help me. I’m confused!

March 20, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(172) Annmarie says:

We’ve asked a vendor for a W9. He is telling us we must pay a $25 “administrative fee” to get them to complete the W9. Is that legal?

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 am
(173) KrsD says:

It seems that no one has asked this question. In part II- Certification, what exactly is it asking me to sign or not sign? As a homeowner who pays mortgage interest, number 5, what does that mean to me?

March 25, 2009 at 11:28 am
(174) Karla Essmiller says:

I work for a third party administrator for health insurance and we have thousands of providers and agents that we pay. We’ve been given W-9 forms with incorrect information and have called them and told them the information doesn’t match with the IRS. They insist it is correct. What are our options for getting the correct information?

March 25, 2009 at 6:20 pm
(175) furrykef says:

This page and many others on the internet claim that most taxpayers are exempt payees, but the W-9 form itself says, “Generally, individuals (including sole proprietors) are not exempt from backup withholding”, which appears to directly contradict this statement. This page here also provides a list of entities exempt from backup withholding: http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw9/ar02.html#d0e267

I don’t see anything in that list about ordinary individual taxpayers…

So I’m afraid I’m going to have to be skeptical that most taxpayers are exempt payees unless I can find information directly from the IRS that indicates otherwise. Can you explain what would make me an exempt payee?

March 27, 2009 at 12:02 am
(176) Leslie says:

I’m am so confused. I provided work for a company and billed them $75.00. This is the one and only time that i will work for them. They are asking me to fill out a w-9 before they will pay me. Do i fill one out if all i will ever bill them is $75.00?

April 10, 2009 at 3:21 pm
(177) Stefanie says:

I am a licensed counselor who will be working for a group practice. I have no idea how to fill out the w-9 with the group EIN # & my information! Can you help?

April 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm
(178) Beth says:

We received a w-9 form to fill out from the hospital paying out wrongful death for my mother. I thought you didn’t have to pay taxes on wrongful death money. Anyone know what this is all about?

April 15, 2009 at 10:15 am
(179) Sandy Gielow says:

I send out W-9′s to various vendors to keep in our files and for 1099′s. Do they have an expiration date? Is it necessary to get these updated periodically?

April 21, 2009 at 10:46 am
(180) Tonya says:

I am new at doing W9 forms. Do I need to request these every year from my contractors and vendors?

April 22, 2009 at 9:53 am
(181) Shelley says:

I am renewing my lease and my landlord gave me a W9 to fill out. Is this normal? I’ve been searching the internet and read over the form carefully and I can’t understand the purpose, so I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me if this is normal and if I should fill it out. Thanks!!

April 28, 2009 at 3:44 pm
(182) Teresa says:

If I am a corporation providing medical and health care services, I should not have to sign the W-9. However, if the vendor requests the form to be signed, who needs to sign it? Is it an officer of the corporation or can any employee sign it?

April 29, 2009 at 2:13 pm
(183) Robin says:

I own a property that I am renting out. The renter has lost her job and a church wants to pay her rent to me. They have asked me to fill out a W-9. Does this sound like proper procedure? Is there any risk in me filling out the form?

May 4, 2009 at 12:55 pm
(184) Liz says:

I am at a Hospital that receives requests for W-9 Forms from Insurance Carriers that have never done business with us in the past. Can I use our PO BOX (lockbox) address on the form? That is where our payments need to go.

May 5, 2009 at 11:48 am
(185) Sara says:

My husband is going to work for a former employer but as a contractor. We opened a dba under our LLC (which hasn’t done any business yet) for his services for this. They need a W9, but I don’t know what name to provide them. We don’t have a separate EIN as it was technically my llc but the dba is his. We are both listed as managing members on the llc. Should we put his or my SSN there? If we treat this as a pass thru entity, can’t we just use his ssn? Thank you!

May 6, 2009 at 5:22 pm
(186) Aaron says:

I reffered a friend to a car dealer, they bought a car, and i got a scratch card, won $200, now they won’t give it to me unless I fill out a W-9. Do I have to for as little as $200.

May 21, 2009 at 7:49 pm
(187) Gary says:

is there a minimum payment before a W9 is required? If you do a one time task for a company for say $400?

May 27, 2009 at 12:01 am
(188) Lisa says:

How long is a W9 good for after filling it out and signing it?

May 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm
(189) Scott says:

I received a W-9 this month and it is dated in 2008. Should I request a new W-9 that is dated 2009?

May 31, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(190) Dee says:

I live in a NYC Rent Stablized Apartment as a Tenant. We have new Broker/Owners/Managers.
They sent a W-9 Form by Certified mail to be filled out. Why? I have lived here since 1972.
I do no work for them. I am only a Tenant.

I have recieved a security intrest statement, annually since I have lived her via the four or five real estate brokers or managers that have managed the building since the owners death many, many years ago.
Why do I need to fill out this form? My info has not changed since 1972?

June 16, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(191) Levani says:

I’m a Canadian sitizen. I’ve been hired for a short-term project in the States and the employer has asked me to fill out a W9 form. I have two questions:

- Should I put my Canadian Social Insurance Number when filling out the form?
- Will this information be transfered in some form to Canada Ravenue?

Thank you in advance,


June 17, 2009 at 9:46 pm
(192) taxes says:

Levani, instead of using Form W-9, you will use Form W-8BEN instead. See my article on US withholding for Canadian workers.

June 22, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(193) Angie says:

Once we received the W9 forms back from our Vendors and put in our system – how long do we have to keep those forms in our files?


July 1, 2009 at 5:38 pm
(194) Steven Rogers says:

im trying to findout what this w-9 form is for cause i had to fill one out at six flags great america for winning 2 wii games in a wii game tournament and i didnt pay a thing i just won them for free so im wondering if thats gonna go on my taxes at the end of the yr?

July 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm
(195) William Perez says:

Angie, your should keep the W-9 Forms in the contractor’s permanent file.

July 1, 2009 at 5:51 pm
(196) William Perez says:

Steven, this W-9 form will be used by Six Flags to report the value of the prize to the IRS. You’ll get a 1099-MISC form in early 2010 showing the value of the prizes shown in box 3 of that form. You’ll then report that same amount on your Form 1040 line 21 as other income.

July 6, 2009 at 7:43 pm
(197) Karen says:

My bookkeeper wants us to get a W9 on every vendor to whom we make a payment for a product (generally not a service). We are a 501C3 and have volunteers doing all our work. Is this necessary?

July 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm
(198) William Perez says:

Karen, I think getting W-9 Forms for all your vendors is a bit over board. The purpose of Form W-9 is for you to gather the information necessary to properly complete Form 1099, if you do not already have that information. In your case, the most relevant 1099 form is 1099-MISC for the payments of non-employee services totaling $600 or more per contractor per year. The 1099 Form is used in other circumstances too, such as for medical payments or other types of payments. Your bookkeeper should first review the instructions for Form 1099-MISC, then identify which vendors are likely to need 1099s for this year, and obtain W-9s from them. If you don’t have any contractors, however, it’s highly unlikely you need to obtain any W-9s.

July 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(199) Aly says:

How often should a mortgage loan servicer send out a W9 form? I thought it was annually, but I’ve never received on from my servicer. Thanks.

July 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(200) William Perez says:

Mortgage service companies should not have to send out W-9 Forms. They already have your SSN from when you applied for the mortgage loan.

July 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm
(201) Trish Karlsen says:

If a vendor checked the box on W9 “Exempt Payee” (individual/sole prorietor), should I send a 1099?

July 8, 2009 at 3:16 pm
(202) William Perez says:

Trish, yes still send a 1099. Exempt just means that you should not withhold any taxes on the payments.

July 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(203) Trish Karlsen says:

Ok. Now if the vendor checks “individual/sole proprietor” & doesn’t check “exempt payee”, I still send a 1099 right?

July 9, 2009 at 5:27 pm
(204) William Perez says:

Yes, Trish, you probably still need to issue a 1099. The threshold is $600 in payments during the year. Since they did not check the “exempt” box, you may need to deduct backup withholding from their payments.

July 8, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(205) Mary says:

Trying to complete a W-9 for a sole member LLC which is a disregarded entity. We put the corporate parent/sole member’s name on line 1 and our name on line 2. Then use the parent’s EIN.
Question is what to enter for entity type: since Oct 2007 we have completed “LLC” and then “D”. Now faced with State of Illinois which insists must enter “Corporation” to match the EIN. IRS 800# was NO HELP.

July 9, 2009 at 5:25 pm
(206) William Perez says:

I’m not sure what the problem with Illinois is… do they have their own form? Or are you submitting the W-9 to the state as a vendor? I would just fill out the W-9 form correctly, which it sounds like you did. Double check your LLC name / EIN.

July 10, 2009 at 11:10 am
(207) Mary says:

We are submitting W9 as vendor. Illinois does not have their own form; they want the standard W9. IL agrees the corp parent’s name is on line 1 and operating company is on line 2 and that we should use parent’s EIN.
Problem is that IL insists that we check “Corporation” for entity type (rather than “LLC”) which seems to flatly contradict W9 instructions.
Never had a problem using the 10/2007 form with any other customer.

July 10, 2009 at 2:06 pm
(208) William Perez says:

Are you registered as a corporation or as an LLC with the state of Illinois? You can check online at the State of Illinois Business Services Web site. I would print out any report you find on that site to show that you are in fact an LLC and not a Corporation.

July 16, 2009 at 2:12 am
(209) don says:

I am sole proprietor that does siding work. I recently did some storm damage siding repairs on a home for a customer who paid me $9100.00 from his personal account. He received an insurance claim (partial amount),but paid me out of his personal account. He also has other damage to windows, landscaping, and his roof. I did not do work on these and will not be. He called me today and said his mortgage company cannot give him the remaining amount of the claim until I sign and turn in a w-9 to them. I know he did not have the other repairs done and mentioned doing them himself. I will be paying taxes on the amount I was paid and do not mind doing this. I do mind, however, if the mortgage company thinks I received the entire amount for claim. I did not do the other work and dont want to pay taxes on it. I also dont like giving a homeowner/customer my personal info like social security numbers when they seem less than honest. I’ve had insurance companies w-9 and 1099 me in the past, but only when they made the check jointly to me and the homeowner. They paid the homeowner , not me. Do I have to give a w-9 to them if the mortgage company is a third party and not the actual payer(to me) of money? Can I get in trouble for not providing it?

July 17, 2009 at 9:22 am
(210) Kelly says:

What address should be displayed on a W-9. Is it the actual PAY To address or the Corporate address?

July 23, 2009 at 11:44 pm
(211) Terry Harper says:

I’m a tenant in a condo that was foreclosed. B of A offered to pay me moving expenses if I quit the premises in 30 days. I agreed but have been asked to complete a W9. I am a permanently disabled Veteran whose sole support is a low income disabled Veteran’s pension. Since a W9 is to report types of income, is this payment for expenses counted as income? Because if it is, I can’t take it, any income is deducted from my pension because I am paid this pension due to my inability to work. Anyone had any experience with a situation like mine?

August 6, 2009 at 10:46 am
(212) Raj says:

Quick question:

I did some online promotional work for a clothing website. They basically have a commission system for every sale you get them. The money is not all that much, about 100$ a month. It is required to fill out a w-9 form before they pay me, but my question is that if I fill out this form is it necessary to file taxes? (I’m 18, have never had a job before, and have absolutely no idea how I would go about filing taxes).

August 17, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(213) CynthiaE says:

If company A is acquired by company B, does company A’s TIN & tax classification change to assume & operate under company B’s TIN & tax classificiation as an entity or does it remain to operate under it’s own original TIN & tax classification?

August 19, 2009 at 4:09 pm
(214) Doc W says:

I am a solo doc (LLC) not contracted with any insurance companies. Patients pay at the time of their visit, then may choose to submit to their health insurance carrier for out-of-network reimbursement rates. A major health insurer has ‘required’ that I complete a W-9 in order for the insured to get reimbursed to payment made to me directly from the patient. I am confused as I do not have any financial relationship with the health insurance company. Why, then, would the health insurance company ‘need’ me to complete a W-9?
Thank you for your time!

August 26, 2009 at 11:20 am
(215) adm. assistant says:

I have a simple question: Does an individual have to sign the form or can I just fill in the name of the company in the signature box? In the General Instructions it says under “Definition for a U.S. Person”: A partnership, corporation, company,….etc.
But it’s not clear if I can just fill in the name of the company. We are a LLC (Partnership).

August 27, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(216) James Fisher says:

The niught before the impending purchase of my existing home, the Buyer reneged at the very last moment, but did agree to forfeit his ‘good faith’ deposit money as per the P&S agreement. His realtor, however would not release the money to me unless a W-9 were filled out & returned. This does not make sense. This house was my prime residence. I am not, nor have ever been, in the business of selling houses. Could you please provide me with an explanation. Thanks.

August 30, 2009 at 9:05 pm
(217) Susan says:

I am the (new) treasurer for a PTA and have been asked to fill out a W-9 for a company that donates money to the PTA when one of their employees completes a certain number of volunteer hours. The PTA is not incorporated, so I am thinking I should check the “other” box in that section. Do I also check the box for “exempt payee”? The PTA is, of course, nonprofit. Thank you!

September 10, 2009 at 1:28 am
(218) Kathleen says:

Does a student run business at a public high school run during a part of a class at school need to fill out a W-9 for the customers they provide their products to?

September 15, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(219) cathy says:

should you ask for a W-9 from all vendors?

September 16, 2009 at 1:00 am
(220) Michelle says:

I am a business owner in an LLC – we have a retail shop where we feature other people’s goods and services in a consignment arrangement. We ask for W-9 forms so that we can issue them a 1099 at the end of the year and document the total amount they have been paid. Most vendors fill this out with no issue but one does not want to fill out and sign the form.

Does this mean we are now required to withhold the 28% tax on their payments (income) or is the situation different because this is a consignment relationship? assume that we’ve met or have reason to believe we’ll meet the $600 threshhold.

thank you!

September 16, 2009 at 10:58 pm
(221) William Perez says:

Michelle, your store will need to do backup withholding for this client until they provide you with a signed W-9.

September 17, 2009 at 11:12 am
(222) DBW says:

Is a social security card required for w-9 as proof of the social security number given on form. the form says either drivers license or social security number. If the social security number is given does the business need proof of a social security card as well. Thank you.

September 19, 2009 at 7:53 pm
(223) Danny says:

William, I have received a request for a W-9 from a Financial entity who I bought non publicly traded securities through. The securites pay me directly. I have not and will not receive any interest, dividends or other forms of compensation from the Financial services company. Do they actually need a W-9 and if so, why?

September 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm
(224) William Perez says:

Not sure why the financial institution is sending you a W-9 to fill out, Danny. Best bet is to ask them.

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm
(225) RBSMS Band says:

We are a non profit boosters organization raising funds to support school band activities. We received W-9 from a business donating percentage of sales to our organization. We are not 501(c)3 as yet. Is the W-9 required to receive the donation and are we exempt. Do we fill out as Other – Non profit?

September 30, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(226) James Cox says:

I work for a local police department. We collect fees for reports given to insurance companies.

The person picking up the report asked for a W-9 form today. We referred him to the Municipal Office as we are not familiar with the form or rules.

Do we need to give this form to people with a receipt if they request? The instructions don’t seem to fit.

We are just charging for the report.

October 1, 2009 at 7:31 pm
(227) Dave says:

I was just given a W-9 by my landlord whom i rent an apartment from. Why would I be getting this to fill out as I am not a contractor for her. Any help is appreciated..

Thank You


October 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(228) Jocklandjohn says:

I am a tax adviser in a UK law firm. We have no establishments, permanent or otherwise, anywhere apart from our UK offices. Our business is therefore wholly carried on in the UK, our income is wholly UK source income and there should be no question of any withholding of taxes in the US or anywhere else on payment of our invoices. Recently, however, some of our US clients have started to ask us to complete US tax forms to avoid withholding on payment of our invoices (which invoices are issued by and payable to a UK business in GBP for advice given wholly from our UK offices). Is it technically correct that we have to complete US tax forms (W8 BEN or W8 IMY) as our income is not US source so that there should be no US withholding at all? If it is correct that we need to complete these forms has something changed recently as we have not been asked for these forms before? And if this is correct, how can the US attempt to withhold taxes or require forms to be completed in respect of the mere payment of invoices for UK source income that is of no concern to the IRS? Still, I suppose the US has a history of acting extra-territorially on taxes.

I would be grateful for any responses. Thanks a lot.

October 5, 2009 at 6:07 am
(229) Janice says:

I’m a student working for 8 dollars an hour and I filled out a W-9 form. About how much (%?) would be taken off due to tax deductions?

October 9, 2009 at 11:26 am
(230) Ramesh Gupta says:

Hi –

I have a software company based in India. We work with clients across the globe – US, Europe, Asia, Australia etc. One of our US client has asked us to provide W-9 and Tax Payer ID details. Now we are not a company registered in US. Can you help us in understanding what we would need to do to get these details. Also are their any implications for doing it? As in would be be taxed in US if we go for W9 and Tax payer ID in US? Would that mean we get taxed in US as well as in India for these payments?

Thanks in advance for the help!

October 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm
(231) Joyce says:

We have an unusual situation – we required a vendor who is an LLC to fill out a W-9 form and he got very upset. He provided a service to our local government and when we received his invoice, we sent him a W-9 to fill out. We require them for all new vendors. When he received the form, he called and refused to fill it out. Basically we said we could not process his invoice until we received the W-9 back. After he filled out the W-9 he sent us an invoice for his time to fill out the form. When I called to tell him we would not be paying his invoice, he got even more rude. He stated it was completely inappropriate for him to have to fill out the form. He said he called the IRS and they told him we should not have sent him the form. Do you have a suggestion on how to respond to this gentleman?

October 9, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(232) Jey says:

I’m part of a performance group at a college and we’ve done a lot of gigs paid and unpaid. Usually when we are paid they just give us a check or cash directly, but this time around, it’s a big company I guess, so to give us a check, they need us to fill out the w-9. What does that mean for us? As a student group we don’t do anything regarding taxes usually so I don’t understand why we have to fill out a w-9…?

October 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(233) Jeanna says:

Does the company requiring the W-9 have to have the independendt business/contractor complete a new W-9 annually?

October 15, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(234) hallsey says:

Hi I was asked to fill out a W-9 by my employer and i have no idea why. I work for a retail company why would they ask me to fill out one. I am really confused about this.

October 22, 2009 at 7:19 pm
(235) LD says:

A publisher gave me copyright permission to copy a portion of its book for my students. The publisher offered to reimburse me for the copycost but it is asking that I complete a W-9 so that it can pay me. Seems strange that it wants to report the reimbursement money to me as taxable income. Feels like I am getting hit twice! Is the W-9 necessary for such reimbursements?

October 27, 2009 at 2:54 am
(236) JJ says:

I have an LLC with my husband, but I am listed as the LLC manager. Do I put my name or LLC name in the Name Field of the W-9? Do I put my EIN, or my SSN? … and what is tax classification: D=disregarded entity, C=corporaton, or a P=partnership? Thanks much for any help you can offer!

Signed – Confused!

October 29, 2009 at 1:33 pm
(237) Laura says:

I have a question please. I have a retail bussiness I sold a product to a company, they have asked for a W-9. When I asked why they needed a form dealing with withholding, she said it wasn’t about withholding just our tax id #. Do I have to fill out a W-9 to all my customer? This sound ridiculous.

November 2, 2009 at 10:14 am
(238) Marlene says:

I recently won a prize from a valid resource and the value is $400. They want me to fill out a W9 in order to get the money. I don’t understand how to fill out this form and wondered why they need it if the value is under $600.
Should I fill out as Exempt payee? should I sign and date the form where applicable? thanks

November 6, 2009 at 2:00 am
(239) Rodrigo says:

Hi, I’m a graphic designer and I have been doing contract work for a few companies. I finished school as an international student and am currently working in the united states with my (optional practical training) I have a social security and work permit but I’m not a resident, I’m on F1 visa. I recently got a w9 to fill out. I am familiar with what that is but does it exempt me, since I’m not a US Citizen? Any information would be greatly helpful! Thanks

November 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm
(240) Alvin says:

I am having some trees cut on my property (on halfs). The guy cuting the trees gave me a W9 form to fill out and mail in. Do I need to do this?

November 9, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(241) Sabrina says:


November 11, 2009 at 2:57 pm
(242) Jay says:

Hello! Ive been freelancing for the last month and my employer gave me form W9 to fill out. I am confused as to whether to sign it or not? I only worked with them for a month. Section 5, for “Other Payments” seems to tell me I only need to give them my SSN and not sign. Is this correct? I am a US resident alien.


November 18, 2009 at 10:26 am
(243) Cheryl Milburn says:

What can be done in a situation where the church hires a
person to cut the grass and this person is on SS and reporting
the income to irs would affect his SS. He receives approximately $1100 a year from the church. What can he
do in a situation like this to avoid any problems with what he
receives from SS,

November 18, 2009 at 3:30 pm
(244) Doc S says:

I am a solo physician (PLLC) not contracted with any insurance companies. Patients pay at the time of their visit, then may choose to submit to their health insurance carrier for out-of-network reimbursement rates. A major health insurer has ‘required’ that I complete a W-9 in order for the insured to get reimbursed for payment made to me directly from the patient. I am confused as I do not have any financial relationship with the health insurance company. Why, then, would the health insurance company ‘need’ me to complete a W-9?

November 23, 2009 at 11:43 am
(245) patricia says:

my landlord just handed out w-9 forms to all tenants. I have lived here for 8 years and never received this form before. what is the purpose of this form and why do we have to file it out?

November 23, 2009 at 3:07 pm
(246) William Perez says:

You should ask your landlord why he’s requesting these W-9 forms. Does he pay you more than $10 interest (for example, interest on a security deposit)? If so, he may need to submit 1099-INT forms to the IRS and so would need your SSN. Otherwise, it seems unlikely he needs these forms.

November 25, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(247) Jim says:

I’m the president of a small condo association. We have several units that are bank owned. I just recieved a request for a w-9 from the bank before they will pay dues.
What responsibility/risk is invovled with this?
What should I do as president of the association?

December 2, 2009 at 9:42 am
(248) Danielle says:

I received a W-9 from my landlord as part of a lease renewel package. Is this form supposed to be used for that purpose?

December 2, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(249) Kyle says:

Dave, LLC stands for limited liability corporation. This means you’re a corporation

December 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(250) Ira says:

I have just received a W-9 from my Co-op’s Accountant. They used to issue a letter indicating the amount of mortgage interest paid per unit every year. This year they will be issuing a Form 1098-Mortgage Interest Statement.

They are stating that they need the W-9 to complete the 1098. Is this accurate?

December 7, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(251) Beverly says:

I work for a small insurance broker. One of our insureds just asked us to provide them with a W-9. This is the first time I have ever been requested to complete this form. Is it unusual for a company to ask their insurance broker to complete this form?

December 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(252) Emmie says:

I am interested in responses to the following questions: #96, #164, #179, #211, and #212. Thanks!

December 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm
(253) David F. Weisman says:

If I earned about thirty dollars from someone online, and suspect they are asking me to fill out a W-9 just because they hope I won’t bother, is there a legal way to say, ‘You gotta be kidding?’

I’ve never come across this before. Are their any applicable minimums?

December 22, 2009 at 1:14 pm
(254) Dan Lotto says:

Ever call the IRS and get put on hold? For years now, they play music from the Nutcracker. Is this supposed to be a subtle message to taxpayers?

January 3, 2010 at 10:58 am
(255) Shane Garner says:

Why would a mortgage company need a W9 to release an insurance claim check

January 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm
(256) Amanda says:

I recently did a painting project in an apartment building. The owner wants me to get an independent contractors license in order for them to pay me. Can’t I just fill out a W-9 using my SS number? They only owe me $120.

January 5, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(257) Dawn Silverstein says:

This year I hired an independent subcontractor from Holland for one of my jobs that took place in Holland. I asked him to fill out a W9 and he did with an SS#. Since he is not form the US and the work was not done in the US, do I need to give him a 1099?

January 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm
(258) Kellie says:

I am new to W-9s and would like to know if I should be having our subcontractors sign a new w-9 form each tax year or is one good for each year?

January 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm
(259) Victoria says:

First of all your attention to this Q&A is admirable! I read the whole thing in hopes of finding an answer to my question because I didn’t want to duplicate…

We are a boat builder, we subcontracted to a canadian company for some work on a boat part that we own. The part is on canadian soil and the work was performed in canada by our canadian colleague. It doesn’t make sense to have him complete a W9 or send him a 1099 but I’m not sure what to do, we paid over $2400usd to him in 2009. Do I just leave it? I just can’t find any info on how to report it to anyone…

Thanks for your help in advance :)

January 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(260) William Perez says:

Victoria, your subcontractor will need to fill out one of the several versions of Form W-8. The W8 is similar to a W9 in that the form is used to request the name, address, and taxpayer identification number of a person or business. Unlike the W9, the W8 form comes in several varieties depending on the nature of the income or the nature of the person or organization receiving the income. Generally speaking, Canadian persons usually fill out a Form W-8BEN; this form specifies special rules for withholding for US income taxes.

January 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(261) Kim says:

Our company was asked to fill out a W9. On the address line are you required to put your physical address or your mailing address. I put both and specified mailing as our po box and physical as our street address. Our business in based out of our home and we do not receive mail at our physical address.

January 25, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(262) E says:

I did some freelance work for a client in 2003, and received a total payment of $5000 for my work. The client was a private party, not a business, and paid me with a personal check. The client also never requested a W-9 from me or mentioned anything about filing a 1099. I reported the income on my 2003 tax return as Schedule C income.

In January of 2010 (7 years later) I got a request from the same individual for a W-9. I would prefer NOT to supply my SSN and other private information to this gentleman for many reasons. Am I legally obligated to provide the W-9, or is there a statute of limitations on such a request?

January 27, 2010 at 10:08 am
(263) Deborah says:

I am a secretary for a truck dealership and one of the women in the office sends a request for a W-9 to each and every vendor every January, even thought we already have one on file. I have told her over and over that this is not a requirment to be done every year. I told her that unless a vendors information changes the W-9 we currently have on file is fine. Please advise if I am correct.

January 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm
(264) William Perez says:

Deborah, you are correct.

January 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm
(265) Lulabelle says:

I did some data entry temp work and didn’t know they wanted me to fill out a W-9 until this week. If I had known they wanted to do a 1099 and include me a subcontractor I would not have done it. Do I legally have to fill it out and if I don’t what are the consequences? I thought I was being set up as a business expense. Thanks

January 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm
(266) ASHLEY says:

I billed a company for goods sold. Why are they now requesting a W9 form in order to pay the invoice? They are claiming that hey need the W9 in order to pay the invoice?
Thanks for your help!

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm
(267) paul says:

I recently experienced a cash shortage due to a bank glitch and cashed a pre-approved unsolicited loan check I got in the mail with the intention of paying it back when the bank issues sorted out. However, I received a w-9 from them, and am not worried that the matter may not be as simple as paying the balance and forgetting about it. I am not a contractor, and they are not paying me interest, so do I really need to fill-out this information? It seems like they should already have all the information they need BEFORE they issued me credit. The bottom of the form (a substitute W-9) says there will be a $50 penalty from the IRS if I do not submit it. Can you clarify any of this?

February 5, 2010 at 11:52 pm
(268) Terry says:

I’ve been working as a private piano teacher for 20+ years. This year, the parents of one of my students is asking me to fill out a W-9 form. This situation has never come up before. Obviously I’m very reluctant to give my SSN to any one.

I’m not sure that this situation is the appropriate use for a W-9. To my knowledge, this family has engaged my services, not a company.

How should I handle this situation?

February 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm
(269) Kris says:

I scrolled through trying to find answers to 241, 211, and 94 and did not find a response. We have independent doctors that we also pay as contractors that we pay a percentage of per patient income.

My question, the same as the 3 other unanswered, is on the w-9 do I list the contractor’s name and then doing business as us but on the tax ID line do I use the corporation tax ID number? This gets tricky with insurance companies who want the treating physicians tax ID number even though the income comes to the corporation and they are paid out of that. Help?

February 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(270) Jon says:

Hey, I recently performed a job for another company very small made exactly $90 and was asked to fill out a W-9. Will I recieve a 1099 on this amount

February 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(271) Roberta Coolidge says:

I am a 74 year old senior who does not work. I receive an annuity and social security. My bank send me a W9 form to fill out. I do not understand why?

February 18, 2010 at 4:18 am
(272) Derek says:

Hey there,
I recently took a course in currency trading and am prepared to start working online. The company I took the course with in Australia uses an American trading platform, called GFT, and I have been asked to fill out a W9 or a W8Ben from, not sure which tho…. I have an American passport, as I was born in the US, but my family relocated back to Malta when I was 3 years old…. I am now living in Australia and am unsure about which form to fill out as I dont have a taxpayer identification number but I do have a Social Security number but have never used these numbers before…Does this mean that I have to pay tax in the US for the money I may/ may not make from online trading? Also, if I make money from trading and withdraw it into my Australian account, dont I pay taxes on it in Australia?? Or am I exempt from such taxes? Sorry for all the questions but its been a bit hard to get info from the Australian company….Thanks

February 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm
(273) Reza says:

I am named as a beneficiary to my deceased relative’s living trust and have not received any income during 2009 nor any year prior. The trust assets have not been liquidated and remain in control of the trustee. The trustee asked me to complete a W9 form to be included with the trust’s 2009 tax return. The trust produced income for the first time in 2009 from rental income of a property held in the name of the trust. Is it required of a me to complete a W9 given that I have not received any income from the trust nor do I owe the IRS any back up personal taxes?

February 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(274) Sara says:

I work for a non-profit that provides emergency rental assistance. When assistance is approved we send a check for a portion of the client’s rent directly to the landlord/rental company. Most of the checks are for over $600. Should I request that each landlord/rental company fill out a W-9 so that we can file 1099s next year? Thank you for your help!

March 20, 2010 at 12:49 am
(275) Barb says:

I was hoping you could respond to my question. I received a claim settlement from my insurance company for damage to my home which had to be forwarded to my mortgage company for endorsement. I have already paid the contractors for the repairs. The mortgage company is requiring a w=9 form from the contractor. ///why would the w=9 be required?

March 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(276) Candas laugherty says:

Would State Parks need to fill out a W9 form?

March 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm
(277) Zane says:

Could you answer post 234?

April 14, 2010 at 1:19 pm
(278) gail says:

I recently starting doing contract work for a Canadian company. Do I need to file these earnings quarterly? They simply wire transfer the monies into my account. They have never asked me to complete nay paperwork. At the end of the year, what form should I ask for to send to the IRS? So confusing.

April 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(279) Jeanne says:

I am a co-founder of a non profit. We are applying for grants and have to include a w-9, We don’t fall under any of the categories in the ownership section. Do we check “Other” and write in that we are a 501c3 non profit? The instructions with the form are not clear.

Thank you!

April 26, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(280) Rob L says:

I own season tickets to a pro sports team in town. Last year I sold at face value the tickets to a few of the games to a buddy of mine who happens to own a business. Now I just received a W9 in the mail from him. What is up with that? Is that the proper use of a W9? What should I do? If I fill it out does that mean I’m somehow going to be taxed for the amount of money he gave me for the tickets?

April 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm
(281) W CASE says:

I do medical billing for a doctor. Until recently it was done at the clinic, monies came to that address. Now, the billing is done outside of the clinic. Do I change the address on the doctor’s W-9 to reflect where the payment should go, if different than the clinic address?

May 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(282) Debra says:

I’ve requested a W-9 be completed by a contractor. They returned the W-9 with two boxes checked, individual/sole proprietor and limited liability company. There should only be one box checked, correct?

May 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(283) William Perez says:

That is a possible combination. An LLC owned by just one person is the same thing as a sole proprietor.

May 16, 2010 at 1:39 am
(284) ran says:

my father is a us citizen, but live in israel for 35 years. he did’nt file reports to the irs and payed all is taxes in israel.
he bought a bond of a stock traded in the local exchange. however, it turnd out it’s a us company.
he sold it with profit plus got intrest.
the bank asked for a w-9. my father did’nt want to fill it because he did’nt send reports to the irs plus doesn’t know is ssn.
they withhold tax on the intrest and said there might be 30% tax on the entire investment.
is that true and what are the chances of that happening?

May 18, 2010 at 1:19 am
(285) William Perez says:

Ran, there’s a number of things going on in your dad’s financial situation. He should consider talking to an experienced tax professional who can help sort out his US-related tax issues. Briefly, as a U.S. citizen, he is taxed on his worldwide income. The US does have a tax treaty with Israel, and this can help eliminate or minimize any double taxation of his income between the two countries. As for his investment income, banks and other financial institutions are required to withhold tax at the source. Non-U.S.-citizens are subject to a mandatory 35% withholding, while U.S. citizens are subject to 28% backup withholding unless they certify that they are not subject to backup withholding (and this certification is obtained using Form W-9).

Withholding functions as a prepayment of tax. The actual tax on his investments is calculated on a US tax return.

May 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm
(286) Kim Knight says:

I just bought a condo which was rented out. The tenants left 15 days after the sale was finalized. The rental agent said I had to fill out the W-9 tax form. Is it necessary to fill it out? Would it make complicated when I fill out 1040 next year?

June 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(287) Camille says:

If a person is interviewing for a new job and is asked to complete a W-9 form by that company in order to be reimbursed for expenses incurred to travel to the interview, is there any way the completed form may be traced to their current employer?

June 18, 2010 at 10:51 am
(288) Lisa says:

I have been receiving W-9 forms from vendors/customers. We sell/buy goods, no labor. What is my company’s responsibility for giving this info? Thank you, Lisa

June 18, 2010 at 6:34 pm
(289) William Perez says:

Lisa, vendors and customers may need a completed W-9 from you. If your customers are paying you more than $600 per year and your customers are engaged in a trade or business, they may have a requirement to submit a 1099-MISC for the payments they issue to you.

June 26, 2010 at 9:54 am
(290) william says:

1) I am the treasurer for the church I attend and my 1st question is in reference to “what is an independent contractor” vs employee. We pay several college students to participate in our music program by singing in the choir. Currently we have these persons complete W-9′s as a contractor and file 1099-MISC when the $600 threshold is met. However I wonder if these persons should be considered employees (and the church and student pay payroll taxes) as these students work under direction of the choir director, are scheduled by the director as to when to attend rehearsals and performances, etc. The Finance committee considers them contractors, however, I think it may go beyond the scope of a contractor. Do you have any opinion with the limited information I have provided?

2nd loosely related question is we had a church member who volunteered his time and equipment to remove considerable snow from our parking areas in the early winter of 2010. Several other members solicited a “love” offering (excess of $600)which was given to the member who removed the snow. The offering was given in appreciation of work done and because the individual was also unemployed at the time and struggling financially. Should this payment be reported to the IRS via a 1099 as income to the recipient?
Thank you for your response and the valuable service you provide. I have read through the comments and have learned a great deal from other readers comments.

June 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm
(291) William Perez says:

William, I do not have an opinion on the contractor vs. employee question you raised. You will need to review the 20-factor test used by the IRS when determining whether a worker is an employee. There’s not always a clear-cut answer.

As for the snow removal service, that payment is clearly reportable on Form 1099-MISC as a payment of nonemployee services for the person who rendered the service.

July 4, 2010 at 10:14 am
(292) Will says:

I hired a home improvement company to do a job for us, I am a manager, and instead of sending them a check my boss sent them a W-9. The contractor was offended saying that we dont need his social security number. He’s a business not an independant contractor employee. How should I approach this?

July 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm
(293) William Perez says:

For 2010, the W-9 is required if the person performing services and being paid more than $600 for the year is an individual (sole proprietor) or partnership. Corporations are generally exempt from being required to have a 1099-MISC issued to them. However this home improvement company should get used to these requests, as starting in the year 2012 1099 reporting will be required for all business types, including corporations. In other words he can safely ignore the W-9 request document for another year or so, but after that it’s going to be standard practice that anyone being paid not-as-an-employee will have to fill out the W9 and receive a 1099.

July 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm
(294) Connie says:

Someone is asking us to fill out a W9 because their organization would like to buy products from us that they in turn will assist a family with by taking on the cost of items the family couldn’t on a regular basis afford out of pocket and financing these items for them. Are they asking us for the right form?

July 29, 2010 at 11:55 am
(295) Xong says:

I am working for a company as an accounts payable, and my job duties was to get all of our vendors to fill out the W-9 forms.

I issued checks to individual sales reps for reimbursement and I send them W-9 form to fill out. They send back the the form but it was not in their name but only their company names and their company ID #. Can I use their company ID as theirs? They told me that they sign the check over to their company. What should I tell them?

Another questions, if some of our vendors are from last year and we do not do business with this year, do I require to have them fill out W-9 form as well.

Please advise.


August 4, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(296) William Perez says:

Xong, Independent contractors often work through a business entity they have set up for their business operations, such as a corporation or LLC. The Form W-9 will thus reflect the name, address, and tax id number for the business. Checks should be made out to the name of the business, not to the name of the individual contractor. You need valid W-9 forms for all active contractors. If some of your contractors are no longer active, you don’t need them to send you W-9s.

August 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm
(297) SF Worker says:

My direct boss hired me temporarily. She paid me with personal checks based on the hours I reported to have worked for her. Now that she knows she cannot keep me and I am no longer working for her, she is requesting that I fill out a W9. Technically she paid me under the table. There was no contract other than her verbally saying she needed some help in the office and that I would be perfect for the projects. Please advise. Can she report me to the IRS? Should I with hold my social?

August 4, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(298) William Perez says:

SF Worker, income received for performing services is either wage income or is self-employment income. The person or business who pays you is required to report the amounts paid, both to you and to the IRS. This income will either be reported as wages on Form W2 with all the applicable income and payroll taxes withheld and paid over to the government. Or it will be reported as self-employment income on Form 1099-MISC, and you will have to pay the federal and state income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax yourself (which is calculated when you file your tax return). In this case it sounds like your former boss has decided to treat you as a self-employed independent contractor. Whether that is the right decision depends on several factors. You can disagree with your boss’s decision. And the IRS has a process in place for resolving these sorts of disputes over employment status. You may want to consult with a tax professional for advice on the most cost-efficient way to report this income and how best to respond to your former boss.

August 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm
(299) Shelby says:

I volunteered to do a newsletter for a non-profit organization. I pay out of pocket to get the newsletters printed and the org reimburses me. I’ve been doing this for several years. Suddenly, the org said I need to fill out a W-9 because they pay me over $500 a year. I’m not an independent contractor, this is volunteer work. They don’t pay me, just reimburse me. Do I need to fill out this form?

August 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(300) William Perez says:

The non-profit is required to issue a 1099 if they pay more than $600 in any year to any individual or business. Even though you are not a business, you are still an individual and so the non-profit is still required to issue you a 1099-MISC. Also, since this is considered income for you, you should report this on your tax return. There’s two possible ways to report your particular activity. You may want to consult with your tax advisor for tips on how which will be the most cost-efficient way for you report this activity.

August 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm
(301) Paul says:

I was looking for some W-9 answers and it is really nice to find this forum to ask question. I hope you’ll help me with a concern I have.

I recently was elected treasurer of a tax-exempt church. After becoming treasurer I discovered the church has apparently never incorporated (I’m working on remedying this as fast as I can). In the process of adding me as a signer for the church bank accounts, the bank asked me to fill out a W-9.

No other signers, including the previous church treasurer, were required to fill out W-9′s. The bank claims they need it because they incorrectly entered my social security number as all zeros on one account. If they had entered it correctly the first time they said they would not have needed the form.

My concern is that since the church is not incorporated and therefore is not a legal entity of itself, the bank may consider me as treasurer to have some ownership/liability for the church’s accounts. Does the fact I received a W-9 indicate the bank is confusing the church’s finances with my own personal finances to some extent? Would filling it out further any such confusion? Obviously, that is something I need to avoid.

August 30, 2010 at 11:42 am
(302) Neha C. says:


I have a full time job, but on the side i’m doing this online thing for a little extra cash. It’s legit. But while filling out the tax form, it gives me a box that says “exempt employee”. I am 20 and have filed my taxes regulary since I was 18. Do I check this box or leave it blank?

August 30, 2010 at 11:49 am
(303) Neha C. says:

Additional info for my last post… In the “Agreement” it says that [I] am an independant contractor, not an employee. [I] am not entitled to any employment rights or benefits. No federal, state, or local income or payroll tax will be withheld or paid by [them].

September 11, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(304) William Perez says:

Neha, it sounds like this business will be treating you as an independent contractor or freelancer. Contractors are not “employees” and so the business does not deduct any income tax, Social security or Medicare taxes from your pay. Instead you will be responsible for paying those taxes yourself. The “exempt” box on the W-9 Form means that you have not been notified by the IRS that you are required to have backup withholding. Most contractors are exempt from mandatory backup withholding.

September 14, 2010 at 11:11 am
(305) Tom says:


I work in the Accounts Payabel office and I have a quick question. How long do I need to keep w-9′s from Vendors on File? Do they have to be newed each year or updated periodically?

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you

September 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm
(306) William Perez says:

At minimum, you should retain the Form W-9 for at least four years following the date any Form 1099-MISC was issued to the vendor. Although this isn’t anywhere mentioned by the IRS, I am adopting here the same four-year retention period as we use for payroll records.

Just like an employee’s W-4, the W-9 Form for contractors and vendors should be updated by the contractor when any information on the form changes. For example, if they change their business name, change their business type, or become subject to backup withholding. The contracting company (the payor) should request an updated W-9 from a contractor if the IRS notifies you that the name, SSN or EIN have a mis-match.

September 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm
(307) Rachel says:

I work for a large medical group of providers. An insurance company has asked for the W9 for each provider. How should it be copmleted? I mean should their full name appear in the Name (as shown on your income tax return) and the group company name on the Business Name if different from Above? Or does the group name get entered in the first line and the second “Business Name if different form above” is left blank.

September 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm
(308) William Perez says:

Rachel, the first line of the Form W-9 asks for the name as shown on the tax return. So if this medical group is a corporation, LLP, PLLC or similar type of entity, I would list only the organization’s name, EIN and address.

October 7, 2010 at 12:25 am
(309) Carolyn Stepp says:

Should a life insurance company have me fill out a W9 form before releasing payment of the policy?

October 19, 2010 at 10:23 am
(310) Tina says:

I just recieved a w-9 from a company that found gas in my area. I am an individual not a business. I am still confused about the w-9. Do I just provide my name, address and ssn and not sign it or do I sign it? Am I understanding the instructions correctly that I am not exempt and should not check the exempt payee box?

October 24, 2010 at 12:18 am
(311) Fred Allen Hammond says:

As an associate minister and member, not on a regular payroll, what happens if the W-9 form is not signed and given back to the company–namely the church. I speak on occassion at this church, and receive a minimal gift approx. 5 times per year.

November 1, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(312) Shane Boucher says:

My adult son (with autism) was hired to deliver phone books in our community. He doesn’t drive, but the worker picks him up, and he rides around on the back of the truck, and throws the phone books on peoples lawns – they are only paying him 8 bucks/hr., then they drop him off with a W-9 form, today. Can they do that? He is in no way an “independent contractor” – he couldn’t even get to the job on his own. What should we do about it?

November 1, 2010 at 8:11 pm
(313) William Perez says:

Sounds to me like your son is an employee. You should first consult with the employer to clarify whether they are classifying your son as an employee or an independent contractor. If you and the employer disagree how he’s being classified, you can take the matter up with the IRS by filing Form SS-8 and asking the IRS to make a determination whether your son is in fact an employee or a contractor.

November 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(314) steve says:

Just started working for a property management co. where I’ll be repairing, cleaning and maintaining properties. I’ve been asked to fill out a W-9. Is there an income ceiling where they’ll either have to hire me as an employee or lay me off?

November 9, 2010 at 8:06 pm
(315) Natalie says:

The bakery I own recently provided breakfast food for the local university’s fund drive. Now instead of paying my invoice, they’re demanding that I fill out a W-9. I’m not a freelancer and they owe for goods, not services. Since they placed an order rather than walking in and picking things off our shelves, they insist that “It’s a fine line” between goods and services because we made things specifically for them. Does this mean I’ll have to hand over a W-9 to every wedding or birthday cake customer? After all, they’d be specially ordered also. Or is this institution of higher learning indiscriminately demanding W-9s out of laziness? Although they’ve said to ‘just fill it out,’ I’m concerned because the amount they report to the IRS will be wrong; again, goods vs. service.

November 9, 2010 at 9:49 pm
(316) Zarig.com says:


Form W9 is a form to get your Tax ID number, name address and to know whether they should withhold income tax on the payment made to you. It is also used to send you a 1099 and report the payments made to you to the IRS. There is no income ceiling and it has no bearing on to whether to hire you as an employee or to “lay you off”. It is a form that companies need to fulfill your and their tax obligations and reporting.

November 9, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(317) Zarig.com says:


Companies are usually required to ask you for a W9 form.
They need your company or your name ( depending on how you operate), Tax ID Number and address. They also need to know whether they need to withhold tax from your payment. They also need form W9 to prepare and send you a form 1099.
Most companies are required to ask for a W9 form when they purchase something from a supplier, vendor or contractor. The reason the university is insisting on the W9 form is because it is its obligation to ask for your W9 before paying you. They are not demanding the W9 out of laziness. They are simply fulfilling their obligation.
As for the the issue of service or good, it is not relevant in a form W9. The form is used to get your name, tax ID Number and address and to make sure that they can pay you the full amount of the invoice (ie they do not need to withhold income taxes). It is also used to provide you with a form 1099 at the end of the year. The 1099 identifies you and states how much you have received in payment from the university.

November 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(318) Katherine Meharg says:

W9s: I understand the need for W9s when dealing with independent contractors but not sure why it is requested when you are purchasing products from vendors. Is it 1) to make the vendor honest about paying taxes on products sold and 2) to withhold 28% of the product’s cost to make sure that taxes are paid or 3) some other reason(s)?

December 1, 2010 at 6:04 pm
(319) William says:

I have maintained a Custodial Account with E-Trade for over 12 years for my 13 yearold grandson. Recently I received a request from E-Trade to complete a W-9 form for the IRS apparently to provide my grandson’s Social Security number which has been part of his file with E-Trade for over 12 years. Why would the IRS request another filing of a W-9 form? I do not know my grandson’s tax identification number if he has one. Would that be required on the W-9 form in place of his social security number? Thank you.

December 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(320) William Perez says:

Likely, the IRS notified E-trade that the name on the account and the SSN do not match; and therefore E-trade is asking you to fill out the W9 form so that can update their records and cross-check it against the IRS database. The taxpayer identification number is, in this case, the person’s SSN.

December 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm
(321) Dave says:

Hello. I’m starting an LLC which involves subcontracting with individuals as ICs to provide various services to other companies (graphics design, marketing, consultation, etc.) When contracting with companies to use our services & agents, will our company be required to send our client-company a W9?

December 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm
(322) William Perez says:

Yes you will need to provide a Form W-9 to each customer if the customer will be paying you at least $600 during the course of the year. Also, I urge you to review the information about whether the workers will be classified an employees or independent contractors. Getting the classification right before you bring on the talent will go a long way towards preventing tax problems and making sure your workers are protected.

December 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(323) Maureen says:

I’m subleasing a room. The lady who wants to rent it has the government helping her out for the first month which includes the security deposit and first month’s rent. For that, it’s requested that I fill out a w-9 form. I’m not getting income from it because I use the rent of the room to pay for the rent of the house. I cannot afford two rooms, only the one. Is the w-9 form to be used as an income, meaning I need to claim the 1,000 as income? Or is it to write off taxes? I really don’t understand how it will impact me?

December 10, 2010 at 7:24 pm
(324) Don Schulze says:

Should I have to submit a W9 form to a landlord to receive a reimbursement for repairs I made on my rental unit after the landlord gave me the ok to make the repairs? The cost was under $300 which I paid for myself on the landlord’s behalf. If I have to submit a W9, I may not get any reimbursement because I owe the IRS more than $300 and they may just take it out of this reimbursement check. True? False?

December 12, 2010 at 9:47 am
(325) tomk says:

I recieved a w-9 from a lawyer whom is handleing my aunts estate do i have to fill it out/

December 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm
(326) Chris says:

I am part of a 501(c)7 social club.

One of our requirements is that we pay for everything with checks.

As such, most purchases are done through members with credit cards and checks are written to them for reimbursement.

How would the w-9s be handled since the majority of the purchases aren’t directly to the vendors?

December 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(327) terri says:

Why would I be asked for a W-9 if the money owed to me is reimbursement for an expense I paid versus earned income. This is a local gov agency who is obligated to reimburse me for a real estate appraisal of $2500. I already submitted the paid invoice to the agency. I don’t want this reimbursement to be reported as earned income. What should I do?

December 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm
(328) Bruce says:

I have an interesting question. If you receive a w-9 form and received compensation from an employer is that w-9 regardless if you file your taxes (did not earn the minimum amount of money to file) sent to the state unemployment office or do you have to file your taxes first in order for the state unemployment office knows you have a w-9 that is out there (for lack of a better phrase). I guess I want to know if I receive a w-9 form is that information automatically sent to the state unemployment office. Would they ever know if I did not file my taxes due to no income?

December 23, 2010 at 7:46 pm
(329) William Perez says:

Bruce, it depends on your state. In California, business are required to notify the Employment Development Department within 20 days of contracting with an independent contractor. Rules may be different in other states.

December 31, 2010 at 5:16 pm
(330) Danelle says:

Am I required to file a W-9 just because a business asks me to? I understand the need to do it if a company pays me $600 or more, but as a small contractor I am sometimes asked to do it for customers who pay me smaller amounts, and frankly I don’t care to share my SSN or TIN more often than I have to, nor do i enjoy the extra paperwork.

January 6, 2011 at 5:17 am
(331) Olav says:

I am an individual, non-US recipient of interests from a US based company, living in Norway. The company has now asked me to fill out a W-9 form and return it ASAP. I have received interest payment from the company for several years, but this is new to me. I neither have a US TIN nor SSN.

What to do? Submit the Norwegian one (does not fit the “US format”, though). Apply for a US TIN (is this possible without support from lawyers/specialists)?

Right now, it seems that I am subject to backup withholding tax. First, the company has deducted tax for the interests paid out in the US, then comes the additional US witholding tax and finally, I am subject to income tax in Norway for the remaining balance (in addition to paying relatively huge charges for cashing the US company issued checks send to Norway).

Happy if someone could give me an advise.

January 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(332) Lisa says:

My previous landlord asked for my sin number on the application for the building… Are they allowed to do that? I was on OW and the rent came straight off of that. Is it legal for them to ask for it now?

January 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(333) MTG says:

I have been asked to fill out a w9 or provide my ss# in order for my doctor’s office to return/refund me for an amount/balance I paid to them because they sent me a bill/statement saying the health insurance had not paid/covered. They later were paid for the same procedure by my health insurance and now want return/refund what I “overpaid”. Are they correct in asking/requiring me to fill this w9 in order for me to get My own money?

January 14, 2011 at 3:56 am
(334) Souzem says:

I am a US citizen residing overseas outside of US, and have just quit my company and am planning to work independently.
I had 2 questions:
1) When I file a W-9 when I take on an independent assignment, is it ok to give a foreign address?
2) Do I need to file a W-9 immediately to indicate to IRS that I have quit my company?

January 24, 2011 at 7:40 pm
(335) William Perez says:

Souzem, yes it’s okay to provide a foreign address on a W9. That’s the address where your business is located after all. With regard to (2), the W9 is kept by the business hiring you as a contractor. The W9 is not sent to the IRS, unless the IRS specifically requests to see it.

January 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(336) Sandra says:

I now have a nice collection of obsolete W-9′s from vendors that we no longer do business with:
1. Do I need to keep them?
2. For how long?

January 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm
(337) William Perez says:

Keep each W-9 and copy of the 1099-MISC as long as it relates to a tax return for which the statute of limitations has not yet expired. Generally this is 3 years from the date your business tax return was filed. Your state may have a different statute of limitations, so if your state’s statutory period is longer than the federal period, then keep the records as long as the state period. For example, California has a 4 year statute of limitations, so Californians would keep records for four years from the date of filing.

January 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm
(338) GC says:

I am a landlord, I pay a carpet man for carpet and installation; there is no breakdown for material and labor costs. The check is made to the individual for the total costs. Is the total costs amount included in the 1099?

January 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm
(339) William Perez says:

GC, you are quite correct. The total amount paid during the year (whether for labor or materials) is the amount to report on the 1099.

January 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm
(340) Libra Singer says:

I just recieved a W9 today from somone I sold some custom car parts to this past september. It was a set sale and I did the install work. From the beginning, the buyer was a private individual and this was for his personal use. The way the W9 is sent over implies that he’s going to claim it was for his business and I’m considered a contractor. To make things more difficult, this buyer never fully paid for the parts and left me at a loss in both material and money.

Do I need to respond back to this. Also, considering the current relationship with this buyer, I’m very hesitant to send him my Social Security Number.


January 26, 2011 at 10:36 am
(341) janis says:

I have a question concerning 1099s. We hired a contractor to do some work for our company. He broke his invoice down as labor plus tax, parts plus tax. I assume I will report the amount paid to him on the 1099 as the labor, parts & tax on the parts, but not tax on the labor, as that is the tax we owe to the state, but is collected and paid by the contractor. Am I correct in my assumption? Thank you for your help.

February 10, 2011 at 10:32 am
(342) Carol says:

I am a realtor. I received a 1099 with my name and ss#. I thought I had provided them with my dba and ein#. How do I get the 1099 changed to reflect my dba? Also, does it matter that the checks were made payable to me and not the dba?

February 15, 2011 at 10:13 am
(343) Tom Sawyer says:

I am filling out a W-9, my partner and I have a remodeling company with a EIN number.
Do I put my name on this or just our company name.
I think I just put my Company name and if so does that go on the Name line or Business Name line?

Thank you

February 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(344) Hazel says:

I have paid an employee last year as an independent sub-contractor. She has yet to submit to me a corrected W9 form. The first was incomplete. I am unable to get in touch with her, and the amount I paid out to her through my business is about $5000. What do I need to do to report her income to the IRS and not have to take the hit, as it will appear that I have had $5000 in additional income.

February 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm
(345) William Perez says:

Hazel, file the 1099-MISC anyway. Fill out as much information as you know (such as name, address, etc.) along with the dollar amount. For any information you don’t know (such as SSN), write in “Unable to Obtain”. And mail in the 1099-MISC/1096 forms to the IRS for manual processing. Provide a copy of the 1099-MISC to your contractor as well. Next, as a preventative measure, obtain a complete and signed W-9 from your contractor before paying any invoices. If you are unable to obtain the W-9, you must withhold federal tax at a rate of 28%. More often than not, the withholding will get their attention and you’ll get your W-9 pretty quick.

March 1, 2011 at 1:35 am
(346) Tony Mejia says:

This is in regards about my daughter-in-law and her employment. Today she went to her boss and asked her a few questions about her employment, first which was why she was considered a part-time employee being that she works over 40 hours a week and there’s another worker who works less hours (30 hrs per week) and is a full time employee. Of course her employer showed her the door and told her if she didn’t like it to find another job! But my question really is this. I just found out that no taxes had been taken out of her checks for the one year she’s been employed. My daughter-in-law isn’t the smartest girl around but I still want to find out what she can do before the tax deadline. Will the 1099 form help in any way and also is it needed? Is there any action we can take against her employer for not deducting taxes? Thank you very much.

March 2, 2011 at 11:50 am
(347) Bill says:

My wife and I formed an LLC to sell products through our web-based store. We received and order and shipped the items to a customer (municipality), and now they are requesting a W9 because they say it’s needed to enter the PO into their system. We have never received this request from our customers before. I guess we will do it to get paid. But it seems like an improper use of the W9. What gives?

March 25, 2011 at 12:04 am
(348) Fred says:

My daughter just closed on a home. The contract on the home called for the refigerator to remain in the home. The sellers took the refigerator and said it was donated to an organization. Rather than paying her for a new refigerator the two realtor agenciesi nvolved have agreed to give her $250 each.

One of the agencies is Coldwell Banker. They agree to pay her $250 if she signs a W-9 for them. She is not a individual contractor and does not work for them. She does not want to pay taxes on this $250. My question is why would they ask her to fill out a W-9 in order for them to pay her the $250? She does not want to give them her SS # and of course she does not have a individual contractor tax number. She thinks it would be fraud to sign it and say she is a individual contractor for Coldwell Banker.

Should she fill it out and sign it?


March 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(349) steve says:

We have recently started selling to schools and other non-profits and are being asked by a couple of them to provide a W-9 . One letter stated is was so they would be in compliance with IRS regulations. I’m just not sure why they need one. And if the need to be in compliance does that mean the dozens of other schools, etc. are not in compliance. Do they have a valid reason to need one?

March 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm
(350) Magda says:

I have a question, i working in a small construction company and they ask me to send W-9 form to credit card company like chase, american express
I think that i shouldyn’d send this form to cc
Can samobody help me to get answer?

March 26, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(351) Joe says:

I am a sole proprietor who received a W-9 form directed to my business. Which address should I put on the form, my business address or my home address? The IRS instructions do not specify. Thanks!

April 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm
(352) Richard says:

I went on an overnight job interview and costs (air, hotel, etc) came to 982.00. In trying to get reimbursed (company is based in Montreal, Quebec and North American Business Unit is in, well the US) for my expenses, they are asking for me to fill out a W9 form. I do not think this is correct as I provided no services for them. Anyolne have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

April 10, 2011 at 12:11 am
(353) William Perez says:

Richard, was the job interview at your current employer? Or was this at a potential new employer? If the interview was with your current employer, they should process this through their expense reporting function. If this was with a potential new employer, they will need to obtain your true name and SSN before issuing payment, and the payment will be likely reported on a 1099 as the amount was $600 or more.

April 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm
(354) DJ Kenny in Florida says:

Is there a level or ceiling of income when reporting a W-9?
Or, is all income earned as a contractor using a W-9 reported?

Like a W-2, will I get a W-9 tax form to report to the IRS from my employer at the end of the year?

Thank you.

April 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm
(355) William Perez says:

DJ Kenney, the business that asked you to fill out a Form W-9 will likely issue you a Form 1099-MISC to report amounts paid to you. The usual case is for payment for services performed in an independent capacity (that is, as an independent contractor or non-employee worker), and that income from the 1099 will likely go on a Schedule C for your independent income.

April 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm
(356) Susan says:

I am the vice pres in our Hoa and have never had to fill out a W-9. Is the name on the income tax form the same as the next line, name of the HOA? Which box do I check for HOA? I have our tax number but these two items I am not sure how to answer. Please advise. Thank you.

April 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(357) Debbie says:

After you receive the W-9 form from the vendor, contractor, etc., how long are they good for? Do you have to request one for every year, every 3 years. What is the law?

April 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(358) ted says:

Just wondering what records I need to keep when paying $20 to a homeless person for work done as a independent contractor, ( cleaning front window of my business ). I know I will not have to file a 1099 as long as it does not add up to over $400 per year. But, being it will always be in cash, would a note in my ledger be acceptable if i ever got audited. Thanks a bunch. Do I have to get a W-9 from him ( I don’t think he is going to want to do it).

May 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(359) keith says:

I live in Texas and my mothers husband passed away and she is selling a piece of equipment they aquired during the marriage to a company and they are asking her to fill out a W9 form. Should she be concerned? and why are they asking for this form? Will she be taxed on this sale?

May 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(360) Cynthia says:

Can a someone under 18 sign a W-9?

May 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(361) Anne says:

Hi, I’m a Photographer and was asked to fill out a W-9 from a law firm I photographed head shots for. I recently changed my business to a LLC, but when I was obtaining my EIN# the IRS told me since I am a single member LLC the IRS considers me a sole proprietor? I am confused on which box I am checking, individual/sole proprietor? I am worried that since I put my business name down with the LLC at the end but am not checking LLC that I am sending it out wrong, and to a law firm! Also, do I need to be filling out a new W-9 and giving it for every new job I make over $600.00 with? Please help, for such a short form I am totally confused.

May 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm
(362) William Perez says:

Anne, excellent question. The IRS has revised their instructions for LLCs filling out the Form W-9. Please see my updated article on how to fill out a Form W-9.

May 19, 2011 at 11:59 am
(363) Christine says:

I gave a significant sized load to a business, as a personal favor. The business is asking me to fill out this W-9 form for tax purposes. Is this correct?

May 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(364) Sharon says:

My husband flew to a different state for a job interview. In the packet he received with instructions to submit his travel receipts for reimbursements he was instructed to also fill out a W-9. Does this mean the reimbursement for travel expenses will be treated as income received?

May 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(365) William Perez says:

Sharon, because your husband is not an employee (at least not yet, anyway) of the firm, he cannot receive a tax-free reimbursement of business-related travel expenses. So any reimbursement he receives as a job applicant will be taxable income to him.

June 24, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(366) Linda says:

I have a question about the Address line. It is asking for the number, street, and apt. or suite no. Is it OK to use a P.O. Box here or does it have to be a physical address?

June 28, 2011 at 3:46 am
(367) William Perez says:

Listing a post office box on the Form W-9 is fine.

June 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(368) Steve says:

I just completed 2 small jobs for a small company where I could be considered a sub-contractor. I charged $300 for labor, plus materials for the first job and $250 for labor, plus materials for the second job. These were on separate invoices. I received a check for over $600 for labor and materials with a W-9 inclosed requesting I complete and return. Shouldn’t I only have to pay taxes if I earned over $600, not including materials required to complete the job?

June 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(369) William Perez says:

The Form W9 is used so the the customer can send you a Form 1099 at the end of the year to report total payments made to you.

June 30, 2011 at 10:33 am
(370) cari says:

could you please tell me if the irs requires a hard copy of the w-9? I have been getting the tin #’s over the phone but does anyone need a actual hard copy? Thanks


June 30, 2011 at 10:33 am
(371) cari says:

could you please tell me if the irs requires a hard copy of the w-9? I have been getting the tin #’s over the phone but does anyone need a actual hard copy? Thanks


July 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(372) KC says:

For 1099-MISC reporting purposes, should a new vendor record be created if you receive a W-9 that shows a new name and TIN for an existing vendor in your vendor file, or should the current information just be amended to agree to the W-9?

July 8, 2011 at 10:10 am
(373) amie bird says:

an agency contacted me about a job and sent the w9 over email and requested it be sent back through fax. should’nt i hand this type of document over in person?

July 13, 2011 at 3:07 am
(374) Kerry says:

I’ve been elected treasurer of a small self-managed HOA. We have a recent foreclosed unit and in order for the bank to begin paying the dues for the foreclosed unit they’re asking we send them a W-9. Do we have to provide this to them and why are they asking for it?

July 13, 2011 at 10:59 am
(375) Debra says:

My first husband died 2-1/2 years ago, and both our names are on the Mortgage. I recently got remarried and want to take my first husband’s name off the mortgage and change my last name to my new last name. My mortgage company is asking me to fill out a W-9. They don’t pay me; I make payments on my mortgage to them. Why would they be asking me to fill out a W-9?

July 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(376) kenny says:

I have storm damage to my home. The mortgage company received the check from my insurance. My mortgage company is requiring me to fill out a W-9 before they will distibute the money to me. Why? Will this be taxable? Can`t get an answer from them.

July 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm
(377) dagny says:

I work f/t but I started freelancing on the side, for a very small company that is owned by a guy I used to work for. As they requested, I promptly submitted a W9 and today I will turn in my third assignment, all of which have met their approval, and they’re paying me for the first assignment this week.

Apparently the bookkeeper lost my W9.

I’m wary of resubmitting a document with so much personal information if they don’t take proper care to safeguard it, especially since this happened routinely when I worked for the owner (who’s very cheap and disorganized). The W9s always turned up eventually.

It must be in their office (I dropped it in their mail slot after hours and they confirmed receipt), but I’m told the bookkeeper is too “swamped” to search for it, and if I don’t re-submit, they won’t pay me.

I don’t think I should be penalized for their incompetence. Are there any rules on the books that address their need to pay me regardless of whether they have a W9 on file, especially since they are the ones who lost it?

July 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm
(378) cary says:

I have an insurance claim on my home for hail damage. my mortgage company’s name is also on the check, and as well they are also my bank. when i brought the check in to them they in turn handed me some paper work to fill out. one of the forms is a w-9 and in wondering if this form is for me to fill out or for the contractor that i hired to do the work.

July 26, 2011 at 12:30 am
(379) Shweta says:

I am on L2 VISA in us and got an independent contractor position, am i supposed to submit the w9 Form. Please guide.

July 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(380) DC says:

My wife and I just started a new “firm” or “company” where we are the only “employees”. Basically freelance work, but we incorporated. Last month we decided to sub-contract some work out to other freelancers. Our clients pay us for projects, and then we pay our freelancers from there. What forms should we request from them. and what forms should we file?

August 1, 2011 at 10:43 am
(381) Lance W. says:

I went and spoke at a gathering and they gave me a $60 honorarium. They gave me a W-9 form to fill out for this little amount. Do I fill out the W-9 form and send it back in?

August 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(382) Diane says:

Hello, our school basketball team worked at a corporation picking up trash as a fundraiser. In order to get paid we must complete a W-9 Form. Are we an Exempt Payee? And do I check the box “other” and enter School, non-profit for Classification type? Thanks,

August 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(383) Marie says:

Can you asked to fill out W-9 form and bring it to interview before a job offer?If you get this form, it means they they offered job then?

August 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(384) Jeff says:


I won an IPad for participation in a survey and recieved a W-9 from said company who is requesting I fill out the form and submit. My question is how to fill out this form given that I work for a company when the survey was performed. Do I claim myself or in this circumstance does my company own the IPad?

Can I fill out my personnal Name, my SSN and leave Business name blank or should I provide my company’s name? How should I fill out and what are the implications here?

Many thanks!

August 16, 2011 at 11:57 am
(385) Gloria says:

A company bought out another company. They are changing their name but the EIN remains the same under the old name. I have received a new W-9 with the change.
My question is, should I make this a new vendor even though the EIN is the same or just change the name of my old vendor? The submit to for payments, also remains the same.

Thank you

August 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(386) Carole Stowell says:

Our organization is a not-for-profit hospital volunteer organization in CA. It is an organization of 11 hospitals auxiliaries/guilds. All officers are volunteers from these 11 hospital auxiliaries/guilds. We do have a tax number. California Association of Hospital and Health Systems (CAHHS) is the main organization we call if problems arise. After nearly 50 years of being an organization, CAHHS has asked for our tax number and a signed W-9 form. WHy do they need this information?

September 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(387) Lise Raev says:

Thanks for clearing this up! I’m self-employed (selling giclee art) so for me, figuring out taxes and what I’m supposed to do is a bit of a nightmare.

September 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm
(388) Adrienne says:

My tenant sent me a request to fill out a w-9 for them. The foreign company she works for pays her rent. I have no problem reporting my earnings to the IRS. I am just very wary of giving out my ss#.

September 16, 2011 at 8:10 am
(389) Patrice A Barton says:

i am a senior citizen attending a Senior center. As Fundraiser Chair, I have planned a requested overnight trip to two different casinos. In their package to be completed they have sent a w-9 form to be filled out. My questions is: why do I need to fill out this form since I receive none of anyone’s winnings, I am not in it at any payments to me, it is strictly a social outing for members of our group and their friends. Why wouldn’t each member get a tax form?

September 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm
(390) William Perez says:

I would ask why they need the W-9 form.

September 16, 2011 at 8:26 am
(391) patrice a barton says:

i previously left a message about being a senior citizen, organizing a gaming trip and being asked to complete a w-9 form. if possible can i get a speedy answer as this trip is planned and i need to complete the final requirements. our group is so looking forward to this trip. it is a fundraiser for our center and there is no gaurantee that any money will be madeby anyone. i’m not even a gambler, i’m going for the outing and touring someplace new.

September 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(392) Josef says:

I am the owner of two properties and have hired a property management firm to act as my agent to handle the day to day operations. They recently asked that I fill out a W-9 and send it back to them. Is there reason they need this information?

September 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(393) Leigh Kern says:

I received some money from a lawsuit and was instructed by my lawyer to fill out a W-9; I am under the understanding that lawsuit monies are not taxed. Why the W-9?

October 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm
(394) Liz Bernard says:

I’m an American citizen doing some independent contract work for an American company. The catch is that I am living in Canada as a temporary resident while my partner is in graduate school. My question is: do I need to fill out the W-9 my company sent me, or is there a separate form for persons who are American citizens living abroad? I intend to pay Canadian taxes (I know I still have to file with the IRS, but that I won’t be double taxed), so I’m pretty confused about how this works. Thanks in advance for your help!

October 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(395) CK says:

I drive a taxi this year the company I lease my cab from is asking me to fill out a w-9 form. Why would they do this?

October 14, 2011 at 10:23 am
(396) Lahm Beck says:

Can W-9 Form be consider as a tax exemption certificate? I can see in the W-9 form that there is no mention of any reason of exemption. Please reply.
I worked in a tax dept of a private co. located in Washington,United States.

October 21, 2011 at 12:02 am
(397) mavery says:

Is the landlord have the right to ask their tenants to sign a W9 form? What is this for? thank you!

November 6, 2011 at 7:28 am
(398) flabeets says:

my boss was telling us about this w9 fourm and to make it short he said there was a part in it that read something like “if a woman for m china would come to th good ol USA and have a baby in one of our hospitals , that baby would receive an American citizenship? could this be true, has anyone really read this fourm completely. it would be no supprise that our govmt would try to slip this past the taxpayers

November 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(399) William Perez says:

Form W-9 is used by a person or business to provide their name and taxpayer identification number to the person or business requesting that information. Using this form does not cause a person to become a citizen of the United States.

November 7, 2011 at 11:13 am
(400) Larry c. says:

I incurred travel expenses, mileage, while on the road for my company. I submitted for reimbursement and they asked me to fill out a W-9, then they will pay me. Does this mean the $$$ I receive become taxable income instead of direct reimbursement? Do I now have to claim this as income and then fill out a milage form for the tax season?

November 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(401) Shawn O'Harra says:

We have a client who is asking for copies of all the airlines W-9 forms that they used in 2010. Why would a company need copies of an airline’s W-9 form?

November 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm
(402) Jacqie says:

I’ve started a business and have a TIN, but I have now added on a doctor, we are trying to establish contracts with providers/vendors and they are requesting a W-9 form, my question is: Do we send the W-9 form on the company or do we send a W-9 form from the Doctor. For example our hospital has a TIN but now we are asked to provide one from the the medical personnel. So my question then is do I send the hospital’s TIN or apply for a TIN on the Doctor and send that? Thank you for your help!

November 26, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(403) Jayne says:

Mortgage service company sent a w-9 to us along with our loan payment statement. They have had our loan for many years, why would they require this form? Should it be filled out?

December 10, 2011 at 2:12 am
(404) Summer says:

I have just been hired as an reseptionist for a dr’s office. They asked me to fill out a W-9; but I’m confused. I work when they tell me to and have to use their supplies and do the job how they tell me to; I thought that meant I am an employee. Should I fill out this form seems odd to me???

December 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm
(405) Joanna says:

I have same question as (403) Jayne,waiting for an answer…..thanks .

December 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(406) William Perez says:

To Joanna (#405) and Jayne (#403), it seems reasonable (although a bit unusual) for the bank to be requesting your SSN using Form W-9. I say reasonable, because the bank needs your name and SSN in order to issue you the Form 1098 to report mortgage interest to you and to the IRS. I say it’s unusual, because I would think the bank would obtain this information upfront with your mortgage loan application. I would make sure that the Form W-9 is really going to the lender, so you might want to call the bank to confirm that they really did request this information from you and to confirm that the address for returning the form to them is correct.

December 15, 2011 at 12:34 am
(407) Paula says:

I was working for a family owned company getting pay cash know they want me to fill out a w9. got some unemployment and didnt report it. do i need to report it. And if i fild the w9 form would i have to pay the unemployment office back.

December 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm
(408) Sanna says:

The small company that I rented out my commercial rental to (as a legal sublet) for 6 mo. is asking me to fill out a W-9.
Am I required to do this? Understand that I have to report this as income to the IRS but am very reluctant to give out my SS number to private persons.
Thank You!

December 27, 2011 at 1:43 am
(409) William Perez says:

Sanna, your tenant is asking you to fill out the W-9 form because they will need to issue you a 1099-MISC form to report the rent payments to you and to the IRS.

December 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm
(410) PETER says:


December 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(411) William Perez says:

Peter, all income from all sources needs to be reported on your tax return. So yes you will need to report this income. The business is asking you to fill out a W-9 form because the business will need to issue you a 1099-MISC form to report the payments made to you.

December 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm
(412) Sarah says:

I was asked to fill out a W9 from a rental management company that I hired to rent out my house. They have recently rented it out and are continuing to manage the rental/payment aspect of it. I am having trouble finding information online as to why the company needs this information. So far, I haven’t heard back from them either. Any information would be helpful.

December 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(413) Jay says:

I am curious about the answer to (392)?

December 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(414) William Perez says:

In regard to #392, #411, and #412, rental property managers are required to issue Form 1099-MISC to report gross rental income to the landlord. In order to prepare this form, the property manager will need a completed Form W-9 to verify the identity and tax id number of the landlord.

December 29, 2011 at 12:08 am
(415) William says:

I had an incident with a construction company which involved my vehicle getting damaged by hitting a pothole. The company has stated they would reimburse me for the repairs to my vehicle, but stated I need to fill out a W-9 form in order for me to receive my check. Does anyone know why I would have to fill out this form or why they would have me fill out this form? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks…

January 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm
(416) Ginger says:

Do businesses need to send out W-9s to only contractor type businesses? We buy parts from companies and one company said he was advised he didn’t need to fill out W-9. From what I read above, I believe we only send to contractors for labor work. thanks

January 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm
(417) James says:

I am working on setting up an online business that sells digital items and services like web hosting.

How do I handle the taxes for commissions being paid out for United States and International affiliates?

I have been trying to find an answer but everything that I find is so vague. Need a straight to the point answer.


January 11, 2012 at 11:52 am
(418) Prithis says:

Hi there

In 2011 I formed a single-member LLC and did a small assignment for a company and was paid around $900. They just asked me to send them a W-9.

What should I check in the Federal Tax Classification section? I have not filed any Form 8832 or 2553.

I an a US citizen, have a SSN myself and a EIN for my LLC.


January 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(419) outdoor tv enclosure says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve bear in mind your stuff prior to and you are just too great. I really like what you’ve received here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which in which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.

January 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(420) Bob says:

I sold some goods to a casino, which they gave away as prizes and they sent me a W-9 to fill out. The total amount of goods was $660, am I required to fill out a W-9 and send it back to them or not? I considered this just like buying and selling goods on eBay.

January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(421) ricardo says:

my name is ricardo
I worked for a company for 6 months. now they want me to fill a w 9 form but they never took taxes on that money. my question is ?. when I fill my income taxes I have to pay money back to the IRS? how I have to that money to the IRS. I have to repot this form to my accounter

thank you for you help

January 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(422) rembourse ton forfait says:

Wow, wonderful blog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you made running a blog glance easy. The whole look of your web site is wonderful, as neatly as the content material!

January 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm
(423) Alan says:

Why does everyone say you don’t need to send a 1099 to a corporation, but the W-9 instructions says you must request a W-9 from corporations? In other words, why would I send a W-9 to a company I know is a corporation?

Also, if a company sends me a completed W-9 with the corporation box checked, but the exempt payee box is not checked too, what does that mean? Are they subject to backup withholding and I was supposed to withhold their taxes for them last year?

January 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(424) Josephine says:

My husband is a private contractor, that has filled out a w-9, the company he is contracting with is taking out an 8% “tax escrow” from each invoice paid. I cannot find any reason for this, and they will not give us a straight answer. Also, there is no “statement” supplied with the balance in the “escrow” account, nor any record of the “withholding: on the 1099misc we received for 2011. They cannot also tell me what IRS Pub, nor return forms they are filing with the IRS. Any ideas?

January 24, 2012 at 10:06 pm
(425) William Perez says:

Josephine, Report this to the IRS. Sounds to me like these are possible signs of tax fraud.

January 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(426) jason says:

Where is the valid OMB number? All requests for info promulgated by any U.S. federal agency is required to obtain authorization from the OMB as per the Paperwork Reduction Act. This is a bootlegged form that has no statutory authority behind it. If it did, application for an OMB number would be no problem. As to what the form is “for”, that’s nothing but hearsay. The author wasn’t able to properly research the document using the OMB number and is just telling you what the IRS is telling you. It’s not based on law OR regulations. Once again, if it was, application for OMB authorization wouldn’t be a problem.

January 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(427) jen says:

I am a vendor. The company I own is a partnership. One of my customers that purchases material from me sent me a W-9. Am I correct that this is not for me? I sell them material. I don not do work for them. They told me that because I am not an LLC or a corporation I need to fill it out?????

January 27, 2012 at 3:57 am
(428) Steve says:

I am a disregarded LLC, so I’m using my name as the “Name” and my LLC name as the “Business Name.” I have checked “Individual / Sole Proprietor”.

Which address do I use? I have an agent for the LLC (in Texas), but my address on my 1040 is in New Mexico.


January 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm
(429) William Perez says:

Steve, Use the address of the business (where you receive your business mail).

January 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(430) Vicki says:

Our small (15-family) homeschool support group (think homeschool mini-PTA) opened a bank account to collect funds for field trips, our website, etc. We are a not-for-profit, unincorporation association. We had to have an EIN to open the bank account. Does this make us liable for taxes of some sort? Our total income is less than $1000 a year and we spend that all back out on the expenses for which it was collected.

January 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(431) William Perez says:

Vicki, I’m definitely not an expert when it comes to non-profits. I’d suggest you talk to a local enrolled agent who specializes in non-profit taxation.

February 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(432) Katherine Jordan says:

I am the lead for a non-profit event. I sent out our donation request letters with our tax ID includeded. A business contacted me for our W-9. I have never supplied that before.

February 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm
(433) FREIDA ARNS says:

If we are no longer doing business with retailers, do we need to keep W-9′s on file for previous years?

February 17, 2012 at 2:07 am
(434) William Perez says:

Freida, there’s no definite rule for how long to keep a Form W-9 in your records. I recommend keeping the W-9 at least four years after the last 1099 issued to that vendor.

February 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm
(435) donna dean says:

Will my unemployment compension be affected by a w-9 report?

February 24, 2012 at 7:05 am
(436) Carla says:

I filled out a w9 for a one time job. It was for an amount under 600$. I am clueless as to how to include it in this coming tax season.

February 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(437) Rick says:

My house was foreclosed upon…I was offered approx 3000.00 to vacate the property in a timely manor and not leave the property destroyed. I complied and was given a w-9 to complete, which I did. Am I supposed to report the amt recd from real estate company as income….and at what rate is it taxable?….also should I have gotten a w2 for the amount that was paid to me?…I have recd nothing from anyone regarding the amount I recd….

March 1, 2012 at 10:48 am
(438) Kelly says:

I am running a print shop. We are filed as a Corporation and we are selling printed t-shirts to a school. The school is requesting a W-9 form from us. Do we need to give them a W-9 form and request a tax exempt letter from them since they are a school? I have not seen requests for W-9 at other printers I worked for like Kinko’s and OfficeMax so not sure why I would need to send one for my print shop. Thanks much!

March 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm
(439) james says:


The other printers elected not to request a W9 from you for whatever reason but that’s not your problem. It’s probably because the amount of the contracts with them fell below the $600 threshold that determines whether they need to report the payment to the IRS or not….However, school districts are government agencies and they have alot more scrutiny (i.e. public eyes) watching them so it’s a good thing. W9s are rather simple and short documents though. Shoudn’t be too much of a hassle.

March 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm
(440) Jim says:

Own a Florist and we just started doing work for a new FH in our area. After submitting to them our fist invoice they have requested we fill out a W-9 to receive payment. We provide the FH with “out the door prices” for their customers (includes any delivery charges and Sales Tax)
We pay the FH 25% commission on the “arrangement” price so when we invoice them it is for payment of 75% of the arrangement, the delivery/handling charge and Sales tax) Now, my question is; Where I am filling out a W-9 for them does that mean that they will be sending me a 1099? I know the best answer is to just ask them , however this type of a setup with a FH is hard to come by these days and I would rather be prepared with the correct information if I need to confront them. The reason this has me confused is because if this shows as income to my business I will have to figure out how to exempt the amount for Sales Tax from that amount. Sorry for the long post, but if anyone has the time and any suggestions or help with clarification, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Good day, to all.

March 13, 2012 at 11:33 am
(441) Shane says:

Thank you for the time you spent putting together this resource for us.

I have one remaining question. If I qualify for a W-90 (i.e., the company treats me as a contractor for hire) how often do I have to pay taxes on this money (quarterly, or once per year) and is there a minimum that if I don’t go above, I wouldn’t even have to worry about needed a W-9 or paying taxes on this?

March 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(442) fred says:

when you fill out w-9 im independent contractor does it go to state r u known working for them from state or feds at all or is it all under table and nothing gets filed to state

March 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(443) William Perez says:

Fred, your customer may be required to report payments made to you or your business on Form 1099-MISC, which is submitted to the IRS and possibly to the state. Some states also request that a special report be filed when contracting with a new independent contractor.

March 14, 2012 at 5:47 pm
(444) horay says:

im an independent contractor they had me fill out w-9 does this get reported to state at all or feds. or not until you make certain amount of money its all under the table no paper trail what so ever to anyone

March 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm
(445) April says:

I have an LLC and had a potential employee interview with a company I plan to do business with. They asked what type of LLC am I and I don’t know. Can someone please tell me with one is best to use especially if I plan to have multiple employees as managers/consultants. Thank you

March 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(446) William Perez says:

April, this is a good question to take to a tax professional, who can advise you more specifically. First, some basic overall ideas. We distinguish between employees and independent contractors. Employees are treated differently that independent contractors. If you are going on employee interviews, then questions about your LLC is not a relevant factor. Second, there aren’t “types” of LLC’s. All LLC’s are LLC’s. However, an LLC can be taxed in a number of different ways depending (among other things) how many owners there are of the LLC, the nature of the income that the LLC generates, and whether the LLC has chosen a different tax treatment than the defaults provided by the IRS. How your LLC is taxed right now, and alternative tax methods that may be available to you, is a discussion to have with your tax professional, who can help you analyze your options and pick the most efficient tax structure for your business.

March 18, 2012 at 4:42 am
(447) SD says:

This question may sound odd which is why I am asking it. Hope it doesnt sound too confusing.

My parents are retired US citizens that live abroad & have been since 1990.
They never had a business here nor worked here since 1990 yet were just sent a very disturbing letter from their bank here requesting they fill out a W9 form all of a sudden.
It stated that if they didnt fill out the form by April 12th, all assets would be as far as they were concerned “in their control leading to even being liquidated” if they chose to as well as much much more. My father is 75 years old & my mother is 64. They own nothing but their home. They have no business, are ill & confused.

My parents live on my father’s pension which is barely $450 which he receives in the US to his bank account there & receives an additional $400 here (equivalent to the foreign currency here) which barely make ends meet.
I dont understand why they even received this letter & in such a disturbing threatening fashion.

Any & all advice is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

March 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm
(448) William Perez says:

It’s possible the bank just wants to verify that they are in fact Americans (by submitting a W-9) rather than a foreign national (which would use some version of Form W-8). Best bet is to talk to the bank and ask them what’s going on.

March 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm
(449) Luz says:

A Broker whom I used back in 2007 to purchase an IRA Annuity has mailed me a W-9 form to be filled out and signed by me. He is asking for it to be mailed back to him. I do not understand why?

March 20, 2012 at 12:51 am
(450) William Perez says:

Try asking the broker. It’s possible they need your name and SSN for their files.

March 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm
(451) Cindy says:

Hi! I am the person who requests W-9s from vendors for my company and, recently, I was reprimanded because I did not send out the latest version of the blank W-9 form to a vendor. My boss said that, “by law, I’m required to provide the latest form…” (I used the 2007 version instead of 2011). Since I’m not sure whether or not there is such a law, I couldn’t refute his argument.

I’m hoping you can tell me because, even though I send blank forms to them as a courtesy, 98% of my vendors already have their own W-9s prefilled on 2005 or older versions and are submitting those in. Does this mean I need to ask them to send an updated version? Thanks for you help.

March 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(452) Shirey says:

we area group that collects money to donate to a not for profit organization. The companies donating the money wants our group to fill out a W-9 . Is thiss what they need for their taxable charitable contribution?

April 3, 2012 at 5:30 pm
(453) Lynn says:

We are starting a landscape supply business & had the landscapers/contractors fill out a W9. We were told that we should not charge the landscapers/contractors slaes tax since they are re-selling our product, is this true? Thanks, Lynn

April 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(454) Sarah says:

I’m renting and management of said complex hired me to look things over at the complex, just received w-9, big question,,,I’m receiving disability from state,, of course I’m following state guild lines , but wonder if this will effect my benefits?

April 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(455) ron k says:

I have a rental that is rented by a person who is on HUD. The county distributes my check to my property manager. However, my property manager and the county bioth send a 1099 to the IRS.
I have been assessed by the IRS and state for income i did not report.

I found out through my research that the property manager filled out a w-9 and signed it without my consent.

Please help to fight the IRS.

April 26, 2012 at 6:03 am
(456) Carrie says:

I am new to the political arena – I am being asked to complete a W 9 for donations given to my campaign by Unions and others – what is my federal tax classification?

April 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(457) Sharon says:

My daughter is starting a new job, with a chiropractic clinic as CNA, she is being asked to fill out a W9 as independent contractor, we have no idea why, or how to do this. She is a single/head of household, and is tax exempt, so should she just fill W9 out with SS# and file her taxes as normal. Does this mean that her employer will not withhold taxes and will she have to pay quarterly taxes. As you can see , we have no idea what to do…please advise…thank you

April 30, 2012 at 9:21 am
(458) jeff says:

I am a partner in a limited liability company that filled out a W-9 with the wrong tax id number. The IRS made the payer of some funds to the partnership withhold in 2009 and we do not know how to go about getting that money refunded?

May 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm
(459) Linda says:

I’m looking into going back to school and applying for scholarships and one site I visited states that they will need me to fill out a W-9 form if I’m chosen to receive the scholarship. How does this effect me filing my taxes?

May 11, 2012 at 11:29 am
(460) sunshine says:

My question is. So Im 20 years old and I stayed in a transitional housing. I found me another place to stay and imm renting a room thats in the housee.. The transitional housing is giving me a housing scholarship for 1500. Now they need my landlord to fill out a w9 form in order for her to recieve my scholarship. Would the Ira take money from my scholarship if my landlord owe money from taxes

May 12, 2012 at 8:22 am
(461) Dianne Marie says:

My daughter recently started a summer internship position working for a small privately owned PR company. She was given a W9 to fill out and yesterday received a private check for her services with no deductions. Although she is learning while “employed” she is only being provided a small $125 stipend weekly for about 30 hours work. Something doesn’t feel right to me.

June 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
(462) Mitch says:

I am a new Independent contractor doing a short term contract for a nonprofit homeowners association, Am i required to file a w-9?

June 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm
(463) Meredith says:

My son is a client with rehabilitation services. He has been asked to complete a W-9 form in order to be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses used to purchase text books for college. As I read the information from this site, this form is for the use of independant contractors. I do not believe this is the proper form for him fill out. Can you explain why he would be asked to complete this form?

June 19, 2012 at 11:30 am
(464) jimdo says:

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing.
The clarity in your post is just great and i could assume
you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

June 22, 2012 at 8:56 am
(465) FloxCligo says:

Within polls conducted ahead of he joined the race, Perry was in a statistical tie along with Bachmann and within stunning distance of Romney.

June 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm
(466) acompanhante ribeirao preto says:

Excellent web site you have got here.. It’s hard to find high quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

July 3, 2012 at 11:27 am
(467) Donna White says:

If I submit a W-9 do I still file a 1099?

July 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm
(468) Telicia says:


You submit the W9 to the company you are working for. This gives them the proper information to send a 1099 to you and the IRS at the end of the year.

At the end of the year you will receive a 1099 from the company showing the total amount paid to you. The 1099 (similar to a W-2) is then reported on your tax return as income and the IRS will match it up to make sure you reported your income on your taxes.

July 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(469) Roberto Libera says:

Great items from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff prior to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have got here, really like what you are saying and the way in which through which you say it. You’re making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is really a tremendous site.

July 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(470) 401 investments says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this blog. I’m hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

July 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(471) one call air conditioning houston says:

What’s up, its good piece of writing concerning media print, we all know media is a enormous source of information.

July 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(472) James says:

I am a therapist with a private practice. I am an authorized vendor with a state agency which provides referrals to me. As a result, I have to complete a W-9. My office is in a suite with other independent health-related service providers. Since I am in a shared office, when I initially filled out the W-9, I used my home address because I prefer for tax and financial documents to be sent to my home. This somehow resulted in my home address being disclosed to one of my clients. The agency is now telling me that I need to complete a new W-9 with my office address on it. Was I wrong to list my home address on the W-9?

July 20, 2012 at 9:13 am
(473) pst repair says:

Wonderful post! We are linking to this particularly great article
on our site. Keep up the great writing.

July 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm
(474) Amanda says:

My landlord is telling me that she needs me to fill out a w9 in order for her to cash the check for my deposit and first months rent and then said she wants to keep a copy of it as well and i know that legally i do not have to let her keep a copy of the form as it contains my ss# but does she really need the form at all and do i have ti give it to her?

July 31, 2012 at 11:32 am
(475) more here says:

You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality
blogs online. I will highly recommend this website!

August 2, 2012 at 9:56 am
(476) cpa freedom says:

Thank you for another informative blog. Where else could I am getting that
type of information written in such a perfect means?
I’ve a mission that I’m simply now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

August 10, 2012 at 10:51 am
(477) Antonio Delgado says:

Question, starting a mobile repair business and I already have my TIN number. A customer needs ac work on her vehicle and a separate company is willing to help her pay for the bill which is estimated around 900 dollars. Now usually customers come in with the cash this company wants to assign the check in my name directly which I have never encountered that before working with anybody else. Now they are requesting a w9 from me and I do not understand why I need to provide this information when they should just assign the check to the customer. I do not know what to do in this matter 08/10/2012. I would appreciate advice in this matter.


August 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(478) Pam says:

I am part of a eductional organization. We do have an EIN. A company has offered a grant to a small sub-group of our organization, but only if we can give them a W9. Will our organization have any ramifications if we do this?

August 19, 2012 at 3:28 am
(479) alice says:

Hi, I received a W-9 form from a bank where I have an account, not a USA bank. I am 64, I left USA when I was 18. I have a social number.
In addition to the W-9, the bank is asking me to sign “existing U.S. customer declaration, undertaking and waiver”.
I am worried about these forms because it seems that I might be signing about facts which do not pertain to me. Please help. Thank you.

August 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(480) William Perez says:

Many banks around the world are now performing due diligence checks to identify any account-holders who are U.S. citizens. If the bank chooses to participate with U.S. legislation known as Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). One component of FATCA is the imposition of restrictions on foreign banks: foreign banks who choose to participate can retain their unfettered access to U.S.-based investments and banking services in exchange for supplying the IRS with documents reporting the investment earnings of U.S. citizens who are account-holders of the foreign bank; or foreign banks can choose not to participate and may consequently become subject to mandatory tax withholding in the U.S. on all the bank’s investments and deposits located in the U.S. As a result of this legislation, foreign banks are now asking any account-holders to submit a Form W-9 to establish their tax identity as U.S. citizens. So this is a proper request from your bank. Be sure to send the bank your W-9 form in a secure manner, such as hand-delivering it to a local branch.

August 21, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(481) Adam says:

I just sold an item I’ve owned for several years. I bought it back when I owned my own business. (I closed down many years ago). I sold the item to another business just recently who requested a w-9. I took a substantial loss on the item. (Cost approx $25K – Sold for $8K). I can’t find the paperwork from when I bought the item. My question is, will I need to pay taxes? If so, how much should I plan for?

August 30, 2012 at 1:16 am
(482) Joe says:

I as others have been asked to supply a W9 for to a company I do business with.
I have always used my EIN number as identification for my personal company.
My question is I have just switched from a sole Proprietor to a LLC.
Do I need a new EIN number? and also,
When I use the EIN number does my name appear to that company or just my company name and address?

August 31, 2012 at 5:02 pm
(483) Jennifer says:

the site that handles my company’s (i’m an employee) employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) stuff mentioned that i “don’t have a certified W-9 form on file” but didn’t specifically say that i had to fill one out. i don’t understand what the W-9 form is for totally and how do you know if you are “subject to backup withholding” or not? i can’t fill out this form – i don’t know what i’m getting myself into. please help! teach me please.

September 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm
(484) kary says:

I am an independent contractor and am a one person LLC. A company I do business with would like to bring another contractor in to do some work, timing is tight to have this new person fill out their forms. They’ve asked if I’ll just bill the work and then pay him through my invoiced amount four our work together on a project. If I do this, do I have to pay taxes and then I pay that person and they’ll pay taxes too? Or, can I somehow pay his amount to him, and file paperwork showing I shouldn’t be taxed directly as this other entity was part of the billing process under my LLC but I’m not receiving the money. Help.

September 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm
(485) ZT says:

My mortgage is included in my Chapter 13. The mortgage company transferred the load to Residential Credit Solutions. Residential Credit is requesting a W-9 because they state the IRS notified them that there was an issue regarding the social security for the loan number they are using. The loan was originally with Saxon Mortgage and my husband and I have had this mortgage for 8 years with no request from Saxon during that time requesting any further documentation.
Should I respond to Residential Credit. I am being cautious, not wanting to just send my husband’s social security number to them if it is not really needed.
Thank you for the input.

September 28, 2012 at 9:43 am
(486) Improperly paid contractor says:

For the last 5 years, I was paid as a contractor by a medium-sized private company that knew better. I acted exactly like a regular employee, with an office, specified responsibilities, position in the reporting structure, regular hours, business travel, the whole thing. The exception was that I submitted an invoice for a fixed amount every month and received a 1099 annually (which I reported on a schedule C). Does anyone have any experience in (or knowledge of) reporting such a situation to the IRS and/or their state revenue agency? For example, what penalties will befall the company? Of course, what matters most to me is, will I be subject to any penalties? Will I be subject to re-filing my returns, but not on a Schedule C? Am I held harmless? My accountant is hazy on this.

September 29, 2012 at 12:32 am
(487) Sara says:

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I to
find It really helpful & it helped me out much.
I’m hoping to offer one thing back and help others like you helped me.

September 29, 2012 at 6:07 am
(488) team building Johannesburg says:

Everything is very open with a really clear description of
the issues. It was really informative. Your website
is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!

September 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm
(489) obróbka skrawaniem says:

Good response in return of this issue with firm arguments and explaining the whole
thing regarding that.

October 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm
(490) Craig says:

I work for a municipal government in acquiring easements and rights-of-way for road widening projects. We are trying to obtain an easement from a property owner for $300. We are asking the property owner, as an individual, who is not providing any service other than his signature on an easement document to sign a W9 form. He is refusing stating that it is not neccessary for him to provide his SSN in order for the City to pay him for this easement. Our finance department is refusing to pay him for the easement unless he signs this W9 form. Is it necessary for the City to require this form?

October 2, 2012 at 4:59 am
(491) William Perez says:

Craig, the best answer I can give you is to talk to the tax department. The staff there can let you know whether a W-9 is required and what sort of tax form the person is will receive to report the payment for the easement and right-of-way.

October 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(492) brittany says:

“At the very least, obtain a signed W-9 prior to paying out more than $600 during the course of the calendar year. ”

where did you get this information from? I am looking in to this form my company but would like some strong supporting evidence on this, or is this just a suggestion from you? please advise!


October 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm
(493) Carol says:

I’m trying to decide if selling clothing for my company would be beneficial to me or not. I don’t really know much in the way of taxes. I would make 10% of my sales but also need to file a W9. Someone told me that I dont have to pay taxes on it if I make less than $600 from this, which I’m guessing I wouldn’t make more than. Is this true? What is the ratio of my profit to taxes I would pay on it with the W9?

October 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(494) Laura says:

I walked a client through filling out the new W-9 form. The main entity is an S corporation with a QSUB underneath and several single-member LLCs under the QSUB. The instructions indicate the owner’s name and EIN (i.e. the S corp parent) should be reported on Form W-9 in the case of disregarded entities.
However, their vendors are now saying they need to make all checks payable to the main entity (“the owner”) since that is what is reported on the W-9. This doesn’t make sense for their business since all the income needs to be tracked separately on the QSUB’s books or the various SMLLC’s books. In many cases they are asking for bank wiring information for the owner’s account. The owner is really a holding company and doesn’t even have a bank account. Can these companies continue to issue payment to the disregarded entity? Or are they correct in stating all payments now need to go directly to the owner’s account? I appreciate your practical advise.

October 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm
(495) Ken says:

I am 63 and just started a video business. I acquired an EIN… then a few months later I formed an LLC using the same business name as the EIN. Since I receive SS I don’t want to earn a lot of money. The company can and my partner in the business (my wife) can. She does not receive SS. Question: I have not figured out whether to be a C Corp, S Corp or Partnership (I need to talk to my tax lady). Does it matter which box I check NOW on W-9s I give to clients since when tax day rolls around I may have made a different decision. (May 15 may be my new tax date I believe). Also, should I list both my SS# and my EIN? Thanks

October 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm
(496) Jennifer says:

I work for a property mangement company that manages houses for owners that are out of town. They get a monthly rent check minus our fees and any repairs. 1099s will be going out next year and I was wondering if the W-9 form is what I need to request information from the owner?
Also the 1099s are to include all the income received for the entire year only.

Just trying to understand all these forms.


October 28, 2012 at 4:16 am
(497) bleacherreport.com says:

Thanks a lot!

November 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(498) Sue says:

My Mother owns land with mineral rights. She leased it to an oil company. They sent her a W-9 to fill out. She is not affiliated with any business and provides no service other than allowing them to drill for oil, should they decide to. Is a W-9 the correct from to fill out?

November 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(499) Fran says:

We are giving back a client a refund for overpayment – do we need to ask this client for a W-9 Form?

November 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(500) Tony says:

We are a non-profit church w/501 c tax exempt status. We do have a FEN #,we also have a state (Tx) Case # or ID #. A trust wants to donate $3,000 to our church. We want to donate this 3,000 to a community club for Scholarships to needy students. We were given a W-9 to fill out by a local bank. Do we need to fill one out? We are not encorporated yet.

November 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(501) Diane says:

I made some desserts for a school site and now am being asked to complete a W-9. I don’t own a business and just did this from home.
Will I be penalized from the IRS for selling baked goods?

December 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm
(502) randyrandy says:

I just received a request for me to fill out a w-9 for a business credit card I had. I am a sole-proprietor. I filed personal bankruptcy in April so the account was closed. They were never attached to my merchant account and they never paid me any money. Why do I need to fill out a w-9 for them. My other cards have not requested this. I am confused.

December 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm
(503) mark mcnair says:

I filled out a W-9 form for a coin sales company and only worked there for a couple of weeks. I received one payroll check for $225.00. Do and or will I have to file or pay taxes on this or receive a tax return check? I also made a couple thousand dollars doing various other odd jobs. Should I fill out a separate w-9 for the other money that I earned? I have no idea because I’ve always had a W-2. Can somebody please help me figure this out?

December 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(504) Phil says:

An organization just asked me to send them a W-9 form. This organization paid me a small honorariam, (which they mistakenly label as my fee) and they paid me with a check which wringly combines the honoriarium with reimbursed travel expenses. In addition, the request for the W-9 comes while the actual payment for services is well under the 600 payment that, if I’m correct, should prompts the need to report the income. I would like to learn what may be the most appropriate response to the organization.

December 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(505) phil says:

An organization requested that i provide them with a completed W-9 form
They paid me well under 600 for services but in the check they wrongly combined the 600 with a travel reimbusement, I do not understand why they are requesting the nonreportable income and how they would use the info in mailing their own 1099-MISC reporting. I wonder how to reply to them.

December 17, 2012 at 5:32 am
(506) Ernie says:

A week ago, I filled a W-9 form for a short-term (one week) contract and the overall pay is $610. This is the only money I made this year (I moved in the country several months ago and am a resident alien) in addition to $38 I made online three months ago. I am not planning to make more money this year. Do I have to pay any taxes? If so, when and how often do I have to do it? In what form (online, on-site, IRS office, other)?

January 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm
(507) Robertho St Louis says:

Can i use this form for college

January 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm
(508) deeon singer says:

I have received a request from a business that I sold several years ago. I am receiving payments of principal and interest from this sale. I issued a W9 before and just reported the installment sale on my personal return. If I issue this W9, will they send me a 1099 int. to include in my personal return rather than continuing to report the installment sale?

January 18, 2013 at 7:19 am
(509) Linda Frazier says:

I am returning my house to the mortgage compnay and they are giving me keys for cash. the realtor representing the mortgage company asked me to complete the W9 form. why is needed for giving my house back to the mortgage company? does this mean i agree to pay some money back to the mortgage company? I dont want to commit myself to anything without knowing what it is I’m committing to.

January 31, 2013 at 7:07 pm
(510) Gina says:

We recieved Keys for cash from a house we were renting, the foreclosure company had us fill out a W9.. Do I claim that on my taxes as income and will they be sending me something (1099 ). If so then can’t I claim my securitydeposit loss.. since the owner broke the contract? I am so confused as to why I was made to sign a W9 when we did not render any services.. thank you

February 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(511) chuck wininger says:

do I need to re apply every year??

February 20, 2013 at 1:01 am
(512) xtian says:

My recruiter for a job is making me fill out a w9 form.. is it necessary?

February 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm
(513) Marcy says:

I have a question not sure about it so that’s why I’m needing some help on it. Um, a friend of mine said that I would need o fill out a W-9 form because I pay for child care but te lady that watches my child isn’t licensed, she’sjust a neighbor. But I asked her for her social securit number and she said she can’t give it to me because it will mess up her SSI check. So what I’m asking what should I do to get credit for paying out for child care?

March 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(514) Debbie says:

My husband’s garage band of 6 members just started playing out and get paid in cash from various clubs, fire companies and VFWs. They have not registered the name of the band and have not obtained at TIN.This started as fun and now has become more.One VFW asked them to complete a W9 and we are clueless as to why? Most gigs pay less than $500 cash but throughout this coming year they might be playing some places more than once meaning they will earn more than $600 from that particular place. What is the best course to proceed? How do we know if these places are reporting the cash payment they have given the band and does each member need to add it into their yearly income? What do they do with the W9 that was handed to them?
Thank you for all your help!

March 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(515) Ellen says:

Quick question – my HOA for a condo is not incorporated and has never filed taxes – they only handle bills for the common elements and do not make any profit. One of the units recently went into foreclosure and the bank wanted a W-9 before they would pay the outstanding dues. The By-laws allow dues collection and penalties for non-payment. Are they required to fill out a W-9 since they are not a legal entity?

March 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(516) Cathy says:

I work for a non-profit corporation and we are in the habit of collecting a W-9 from all entities, other than corporations, that we pay funds to. One of our departments is purchasing a piece of equipment from an individual and I requested a W-9 be completed. The individual is questioning the reasoning behind the request because they are not providing a service to our company. I have not been able to find anything on W-9s relating to equipment purchase. Can you advise?

March 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(517) Monique Robbins says:

I have been having a heck of a time with these W-9′s. No one wants to sign them. My accountant suggested getting them signed before we purchase anything. My husband and I have an internet guitar business. Most of our business is conducted through PayPal and Ebay. So we receive a 1099K through PayPal. I have very few W-9′s to do but it is enough to drive me berserk. In reading the law, it seems very confusing. I may not be understanding it correctly and i had a CPA call me and ask me where I was going to put these amounts. The law says, “if you purchase SERVICES of $600.00 or more and 5000.00 in products? I am confused. Because we definitely serve our customers and buy from our vendors. But we buy, sell, and trade guitars. And I am a photographer. That is a whole other business. So do we just get W-9′s as a rule? And if it is over 600. in the year file it? And if so does it go on a 1099-misc? and in what category? Thank you for your time.

March 8, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(518) dave says:

I’m in a club on a college campusand we have our own newspaper that we sell to students in the cafeteria between classes. The administration has asked our to fill out a w9 for the college. Is this appropriate? We’re not providing a service to the college and were not vendors. Were merely selling a newspaper in a public space. We’ve sold on the street for example without any problem.

March 10, 2013 at 3:04 am
(519) Mayar says:

I received a W9 form from a company that I have not worked for at all . What Should I do ? Thanks

March 10, 2013 at 3:17 am
(520) Mayar says:

Hi, I have received a W-9 in email from a company that I have never worked for nor applied for any position. What should I do ? Your advice is greatly appreciated .

March 19, 2013 at 8:59 am
(521) Lisa says:

I am not an independent contractor or business person, but a person who works for the schools. I got one of these for a potential inheritance from another state agency that is not the state in which I reside. Do I mark the box individual and should I ask them to withhold taxes? I don’t even know if this money would be taxable.

March 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm
(522) William Perez says:

It’s hard to know whether this “potential inheritance” is taxable or not, Lisa. I would inquire with the state agency as to the reason they need the Form W-9.

April 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(523) Barb Goldberg says:

I formed my LLC in 2010, but have not sold anything through it at all. Now, I’m getting ready to do so. Up to now, I have not filed anything because nothing has happened.
Do I need to file a W9 now? It’s just me. No employees.
Do I need to file a tax return, even though nothing has happened.

April 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(524) Janey says:

I’m an independent contractor, teaching at a senior center. I make less than $600 year, although sometimes it could be up to $700 and was asked to fill out a W-9 for my next session. Husband and I file jointly. Combining our income, will mine be subject to withholding? Taxed at a high rate for my measger “income” might change my mind about continuing and if I’m getting in over my head.

May 2, 2013 at 10:37 pm
(525) nick pitt says:

i have wholesale company and one of my client ask for W9 form
does he really need it?
i never asked for that from any other client…

May 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(526) Dave says:

I received a W-9 fourm from a lady who cuts me a check sometines in her personal checking account and sometimes in her business checking account. I cut her lawn and now am receiving this request? Should i be concerned and also fill it out for her? Thanks Dave

May 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(527) Angie says:

A person working for a company backed into my husbands car and caused 2,200 dollars worth of damage. They want to pay the amount to my husband which he has agreed to. They want him to fill out a W9. Does he have to?

May 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm
(528) mark m says:

Hi, thanks for the informative blog. This is what the internet should be like.

I have received a w-9 request from a company I have worked for over 8 years. They have reported taxes on w-2, not 1099. The book keeper does not understand that I am a part time employee. They deduct all fed and state taxes, unemployment insurance etc from my checks.

Do I need to respond to their request?

May 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm
(529) Elana says:

Hello, I was just asked to fill out a W9 form by my employer’s accountant. I am employed by the LLC but have never been provided a W2 so I file as self employed with my accountant. Is there any reason that I should be wary of signing a W9 after almost right years of employment? Does this cause me to pay more taxes? Thank you.

June 1, 2013 at 7:08 am
(530) jean says:

I paid for a plane ticket for my daughter to return from DC and now the school wants to issue me a refund for the plane ticket. They are asking me for a copy of my receipt (which makes sense) and they are asking me to fill out a W9 form as well.

My question is why do I need to fill out a W9 form? I am not their employee and this is not a paycheck. I am concerned that if I fill out a W9 I will have to pay taxes on the 425.00 dollars and this is suppose to be a refund not a paycheck. What should I do?

June 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm
(531) Judy House says:

I am treasurer of my church. The church’s bank has ask for a W-9. Why would a church need to issue a W-9?

June 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(532) William Perez says:

Typically banks need a W-9 to certify the name and taxpayer identification number of the entity that owns the bank account and to determine whether backup withholding needs to occur. I would ask the bank to clarify why they need a W-9 form.

June 7, 2013 at 12:13 am
(533) Johnson says:

We have an ice skating coach and we pay more than $600/year. Are we supposed to request him to fill out a W-9 form and file 1099?

June 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(534) Ryan in Indianapolis says:

I recently graduated from College. I have began working as a freelance media producer.

After producing material for a client, I received a request to fill out a W9 form. I’m assuming, based on what I’ve read in the posts above, that this is a way for my client to report to the IRS to whom they have paid out money to – in this case me.

My question: Upon filling out the W9 form and returning it to my client, am I required to pay “tax payments” throughout the year to the IRS (If so, when are they due, and to whom do I pay them), or should I simply wait until I file this year’s taxes (in the Spring of 2014) to settle up on any taxes I owe to the IRS?


Ryan in Indianapolis, IN.

July 15, 2013 at 8:15 am
(535) Hong says:

Hi, I have bought a house recently. My broker’s company will pay me $300.00 for covering the repairs. But they ask me to fill out W-9 form. What should I do?


July 16, 2013 at 11:28 am
(536) Melissa says:

Hi, We are a teaching association – who would I send W-9′s to?

Thank-You, Melissa

August 4, 2013 at 11:49 pm
(537) MC says:

In filling out the address portion of the W9 do I have to use the address used on my tax return? That would be my home address and I want to avoid using my home address and instead want to use a mailing address where all business related mail goes. Do I have to use an address associated with my Tax ID # or can it be a mailing address.

August 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm
(538) William Perez says:

MC, you can use the mailing address for your business.

August 28, 2013 at 7:40 am
(539) kyle says:

I have to fill out a W-9 form on a legal cash settlement of $4500.00 with GM. I am not sure why? So that is my first question. Also I am in the US Army and I am trying to figure out what I should put as my business name and also what federal tax classification I am part of?

August 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(540) William Perez says:

Kyle, you are probably filling out the Form W-9 as an individual. In that case, you won’t need to answer the questions about business name and federal tax classification. As to why GM is asking you to fill out Form W-9, I cannot answer that question; try asking GM. In general, though, people are asked to provide a W-9 form when an organization anticipates paying a person money and that payment needs to be reported on tax document (such as a 1099).

September 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm
(541) Victoria says:

Hi i just started working for an online company and I have to fill this out. The problem with that is if they take taxes out I can’t claim them because my parents still claim me on their taxes, cause they pay for my college out of pocket, which makes me a dependent. What do I have to check or fill out on this form to make sure they don’t take taxes out? I can’t file taxes to get that money back.

September 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(542) William Perez says:

Victoria, such good questions you are asking. Let me clear up some misunderstandings. Even if a person is claimed as a dependent, that person can still file a tax return and can still receive a refund of any overpaid taxes. All that being a dependent means is that someone else claims your personal exemption.

Also, if the online company you are working for has asked you to fill out a W-9 form, that suggests to me this company intends to treat you as a self-employed independent contractor. In most cases, the company will not withheld any taxes from money paid to independent contractors. Instead, the independent contractor will need to make their tax payments themselves through the process of estimated taxes.

Sometimes, companies mistakenly treat workers as independent contractors when they should really be treated as employees. You can review the differences between Independent Contractors and Employees on the IRS Web site. If you think you have been improperly classified as an independent contractor, you can ask the IRS to review the situation and make a determination.

September 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm
(543) Rick says:

Ok… I have a question about hiring contractors and if/why I need to require a W-9. For example, If I am a private citizen, and pay a tree trimming contractor to cut down some trees on my home residence,
why would I need to get a W-9 from them? Or from any contractor… like an electrician, painter, etc…?
Thanks in advance.

October 21, 2013 at 10:30 am
(544) Sherry says:

Our Mortgage Company sent a W-9 form for us to sign, but the form is not filled out . Only a our name and ss# and them as the requestors.everything else is blank . Should we trust this?

November 7, 2013 at 4:43 am
(545) Bob Smith says:

My mortgage company just sent me a W-9 form also & wants me to fill in my SSN & employer ID number. I work for the county & it seems kind of odd.

November 17, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(546) Jared says:

I received a Claim and Consent to Join Form for a settlement payment from my current employer as the result of a class action lawsuit. The settlement is for unpaid time over several years as a salaried employee. Attached to the packet was a W-9 form that states “In order to receive that portion of the settlement payment attributed to liquidated damages, you must timely complete and return this Substitute IRS W-9 Form” I am unsure of what “liquidated damages” is. Do I need to fill out the W-9?

November 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(547) Brian says:

A company has requested a W9 form. They are purchasing a vehicle from us. Why do they need this information?

November 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(548) Jean Anderson says:

My mother just passed away and left me some money. I was sent a W-9 form to fill out but am unsure of how to fill it out. I am absolutely broke, unemployed and have no assets but this form seems to be geared more to business owners..? So would I have a TIN that I just don’t know about or do I skip that and just provide my SS?

November 26, 2013 at 11:19 am
(549) Patsy says:

how many copies of the w-9 am I supposed to supply? In the past I’ve always just emailed or faxed over a copy. Now I have a new contractor telling me I need to do that AND mail him the original copy. This makes no sense to me at all. Is it required that I ‘mail’ him another copy of the form I use for all my contractors even though he has admitted he has the emailed copy?
I’m confused as to why he insists he needs two copies of the same form.

November 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(550) Bill Monson says:

My father wanted to purchase a $5,000 Life Insurance Policy on me in case I die to cover funeral expenses. The Insurance Agent gave my father a W-9 form to fill out as he would be the Sole Beneficiary and my father would be making all the payments for this $12.60 per month policy. My question is this: I receive Social Security Benefits + Food Stamps monthly. I am not paying nothing for the policy and if I die my dad would be paid in full for the policy, So why do I need to fill out a W-9 Form? And would filling out this W-9 Form efffect me to continue receiving both Social Security Benefits + Food Stamps as the policy might be considered as an “Asset”

December 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(551) Dab says:

I have a similar question as 502RandyRandy, which I hope you will answer quickly as it is a time sensitive situation. I received a letter and a W-9 form to be completed by Capital One. I did have a credit card with them and did not complete terms of agreement as there was some fraudulent activity on the account. I did have a small business, although insignificant as far as sales to report. Why would they want this information from me? I am hesitant to provide it because of the problems previously. Can you please provide me with an answer shortly. Thank you…

December 11, 2013 at 10:05 am
(552) Paul says:

I was asked to put together a 5 piece band by my agent for a one night gig. The contract is in my name. How do I pay the other musicians being sure I don’t get taxed for the entire amount? How do I figure how much tax to take out of their individual checks?


December 21, 2013 at 11:05 am
(553) S Smith says:

I won a settlement in small claims court which is solely reimbursement for half the money I already paid a fencing contractor to have a fence installed. Basically, the home builder next door tried to steal the use of my fence to enclose his property, without due compensation to me for half the fence cost. Court ruled in my favor and now the home builder wants me to complete a W9 and says the award is taxable. If I truly am required to pay taxes on it, no problem, but as I understand it a W9 is normally something filled out for work performed (i.e. general contractor/sub contractor relationships requiring payment or similar) In my mind, the signing of such form could hold me liable for the fence as if I was the contractor who built it which I am not. I performed no work for the contractor who built the house or the fence and am only asking for reimbursement for their half of the fence cost which I already paid for with taxed dollars from my paychecks… Do I have to complete a W9?

December 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm
(554) Jim says:

I run a nonprofit and received more than $600 in donated goods from another nonprofit. Do I need to get a W-9 from the other nonprofit? Or only when services from an independent contractor are performed? Similar question, if we pay for a client’s rent, do we need a W-9 from the client’s landlord?

December 25, 2013 at 10:41 pm
(555) taxes says:

I run a LLC as a single member. My husbands business investor recently asked him to fill out a w-9. He submitted the w-9 with his social security # and not an employer id#. His investor then asked for him to resubmit the w-9 with the employer id #. Question-is he supposed to fill that in? The checks were made out to him, not the business. He does not own the business, I do. I just want to make sure we are not taxed twice, as the company did not take in the $ sent. It’s been many years since owning company and was confused on this. Thanks for any help!

January 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm
(556) Sue says:

I am the leader in a new artist co-op. We are not a non-profit yet nor a formal organization. We sell items that artists make. We do not pay any employees. Some of the artists may not have a business license or number (they just make a little art at home as a hobby and now sell some of it in this shop).

Do I have to give them a W-9 to complete and do I have to give them all a 1099 or just if they sold over $600 in 2013??

Thanks so much for your help

January 12, 2014 at 9:53 am
(557) 5 figure day says:

Thanks for finally talking about > What’s Form W-9?
< Loved it!

January 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
(558) Elizabeth says:

I have been an indepent contractor running a virtual office for a business in another state for the last 1 and a half years. Last year, I asked if I should be filling out an I-9 and if they had something that told me how much they had paid me ( I had not kept track properly- new to it all). Anyhow, my employer told me that I had to do all that myself and there was nothing for me to fill out. They have paid me about 18,000 over 2013 and I am very concerned. What should I do?

January 14, 2014 at 11:32 am
(559) Smith says:

I am sorry, I meant to say a W-9, not I-9.
Thank you so much!

January 28, 2014 at 4:09 pm
(560) Sole Proprietor says:

I am a sole proprietor. I have not yet filed my business name as a fictitious name, so I have checks made out to my personal name. I do not want clients to know my home address, so I have a business mailbox mailing address. I have an EIN and use that on my W9, not my SS#.

How do I fill out the address section of a W9? When I file my 1040, I put my home address so that’s the address the IRS has on file for me. I don’t want to put my home address on the W9 I give to clients, I want to put my business mailbox address there. But if I put my business mailbox address on the W9, won’t that result in a mismatch with the on-file IRS info and result in some trouble for me, or an audit?

January 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm
(561) Anthony says:

I’m a college student and both companies I worked for this past year had me fill out a W-9. Do I wait for them to send me something so I can do my taxes or how does this work? Sorry if this is a basic question I just have no experience with this

February 9, 2014 at 6:52 pm
(562) Larry D. says:

I worked for a contractor all through 2013. I was never asked if i would be considered an Independant Contractor, and was never provided or signed a W-9. Now in January of 2014 I get a 1099 form. Not filling out a W-9 meant I never had any options for saving receipts or putting aside any tax money. Am I still liable for taxes to the IRS ?

February 21, 2014 at 8:07 pm
(563) Cindy says:

Hi, as a teacher at a local elementary school, I filled out a STEM grant application to get additional technology in my classroom. I was awarded the grant. The company providing the funding has asked me to fill out a w-9 before they sent the grant funds. Because these funds will be used in my classroom, rather than by me personally, I do not consider it income and don’t want to pay taxes on this amount when I file my individual tax return. I have never been asked for a w-9 when awarded previous classroom grants. What should I do?

February 27, 2014 at 6:34 pm
(564) Anthony says:

I represent a recreational softball team. We have received sponsorship and a donation from two businesses. What is the proper way to show that the funds I’ve received, in a personal account, are going towards paying fees and uniform costs as opposed to simply receiving funds as income? No donation has resulted in any profit. In fact, our team still covers costs out of pocket that are not covered by sponsorship and donations.

March 2, 2014 at 9:46 pm
(565) Susan says:

Does a corporation need to get a W-9 from a vendor. Example, if we buy oil from a vendor, should we get a W-9 from them? If we buy steel from a vendor, should we get a W-9 from them? I don’t think so but a controller at a large corporation is giving us direction to always have a W-9 on all purchases we make. We can not make a payment to them unless we have a W-9.

March 4, 2014 at 10:08 am
(566) Lana says:

I filled out a W-9 form for a two week assignment in May 2013. Now I’m ready to file my 2013 tax return? Is there anything I should have received from the company who hired me for that two week assignment. I don’t remember receving anything from them. It was a small amount of money, less than $200. I don’t want to go to my tax accounting without having all the documents with me.

March 15, 2014 at 5:41 pm
(567) Yvette says:

As a C-Corp Company do I need to file a 1099 to the IRS reporting payments to another Corp company?

March 24, 2014 at 12:48 am
(568) Chellsie says:

My husband is an independent contractor, who has a guy working “with” him. He handed him the w9 to fill out, and the guy is refusing to fill it out bc he says “he can’t afford to pay taxes, and he already owes so much to the irs that he won’t be getting a pay check”. My question is, if he doesn’t fill this out what will happen to my husband? I’m sorry for the stupid question, we are both new to this.


March 27, 2014 at 11:19 pm
(569) Shawn says:

I’m currently trying to get a helping hands loan from my place of employment. There is an application process which I have to show proof of whatever I’m going to use the loan money for. I plan on using the money for rent and my security deposit. My company stated that whoever the money goes to, needs to fill out a W-9. Like I said, this loan money will be given to my Landlord so why would my Landlord be required to provide a W-9 form?

April 10, 2014 at 11:55 am
(570) tina says:

I work for a company which is LLC and is a disregarded entity. Our parent company files federal taxes.

when filling out the W-9 form
under the name on the first line we enter the parent company’s name
on the second line we enter the business name (LLC).

my question is:
when the vendor receives the W-9 they will set up our company under the parent’s name, and I do believe that would not be correct because we are doing business under the LLC.

1 what name goes on line 1 and what goes on line 2?
2 what Employer id # should be used? LLC or the parent?

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.