1. Money

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

Where to Mail Tax Returns, Payments, and Extensions

By April 13, 2009

Follow me on:

The Internal Revenue Service has lots of different addresses for different types of documents being mailed. Here's links to IRS pages on the IRS Web site with the relevant mailing addresses:

It's best to send tax-related documents using certified mail with return receipt requested. That way, you'll receive confirmation that the IRS actually received your documents or payment. And this can come in very hand if the tax return or payment gets lost, as you'll have proof of delivery. The United States Postal Service Web site has additional tips for making sure your tax returns are mailed properly.

These links have been updated for the IRS's re-designed Web site.

February 26, 2011 at 8:07 am
(1) Anna Rafferty says:

Thanks William! This was very helpful—exactly what I needed to know.

October 23, 2011 at 3:19 am
(2) jesse says:

what if i’m filing back taxes from abroad? do i use the same address? i’ve read that only a few centers process late returns, but haven’t been able to ascertain the answer to this particular question. i’m filing my 2010 taxes late and 2009 (fortunately i don’t owe anything^^)

March 23, 2012 at 1:25 am
(3) Jaliyah Blankenship says:

I’m thankful for that article post.Really thanks! Much obliged.

May 5, 2012 at 11:47 am
(4) Steven says:

Totally worthless help

September 11, 2012 at 7:34 am
(5) anonymous says:

all links broken

November 24, 2012 at 4:55 am
(6) des says:

was it churchill who said of russia, “a conundrum wrapped inside an enigma covered by a …”??? seems to apply here!

March 12, 2013 at 10:21 am
(7) kathy patton says:

cant find anything. I agree with the guy that said ” Totally worthless help”.

March 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm
(8) Roxanna says:

I agree with kathy – this is totally unhelpful – a waste of time

March 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm
(9) David B says:

The above comments are totally worthless because you people can’t read. (Check the orange script at the bottom of the page)

Of course I’m talking to people who are almost three years late filing their taxes so that alone should tell me who comprises these commenters.

October 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm
(10) Rosemary Cruz says:

I have to send form 4506-T to the IRS but don’t have an address as to where to send it. What address do I send this to?

October 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(11) William Perez says:

Rosemary, addresses for mailing are found on page two of the Form 4506-T.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.