1. Money

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

When Will You Receive Your Tax Documents?

By January 5, 2010

Follow me on:

A common question I've been hearing already at the start of the new year is, "When will I get my W-2" and other tax-related documents.

Generally, most people should receive their W-2 Forms by the end of January. That's the deadline for mailing, handing out, other otherwise "furnishing" the W-2 to employees. By the end of January you should also receive other common tax documents, such as Form 1099-INT reporting bank interest you earned, Forms 1098 reporting mortgage interest, college tuition, or student loan interest paid.

Some documents take long to prepare and send out. Brokers and other financial institutions have until February 16th to send out Form 1099-B, reporting proceeds from selling off stocks, bonds, and other securities. So mid-February is usually the time most people receive their consolidated tax documents and year-end reports from their brokers. Be aware that sometimes brokers will send out initial reports in mid-February to meet the IRS-imposed deadlines, and then send out corrected reports in March or April.

No comments yet. Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.