1. Money

Discuss in my forum

William Perez

Where to Find Tax Forms

By January 31, 2011

Follow me on:

The IRS has stopped mailing out tax booklets and forms. You can download the forms, instructions and various publications directly from the IRS.gov Web site. The IRS also has recently re-designed their forms and publications page. In the redesign, the most common forms and instructions have been placed near the top of the page, making it easier for taxpayers to find and download the files they need. The IRS has also redesigned their archive page for tax forms from previous years. I've had trouble finding specific files using this page, and I much prefer utilizing this page that organizes forms by year.

Also updated is the About.com page providing links to the most common federal tax forms. You can locate state tax forms by navigating to your state tax agency Web site and then searching for the forms you need.

You may also be able to find paper tax forms at libraries, post offices and local IRS offices.

February 9, 2011 at 2:19 am
(1) sandy says:

Thanks for that link about the 2009 forms…I was on the website looking all over and could not locate a 2009 1040EZ and the way they have the past year forms, it could not be found…was ready to give up and came across your posting in a search…BAM…there it was…thanks a million!

February 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(2) Kathy says:

Yu can go to the IRS website and search for forms
Type Tax Year “20XX” in the search field and that should bring up forms you need.

January 8, 2013 at 11:40 am
(3) ThomasM195 says:

The IRS is really slacking this year. They don’t have tax booklets/instructions for the 1040 or 1040A yet and it is January 8, 2013. Before this year, these have always been available before the end of December of the previous year. They really are holding me up as I’ve usually had my taxes done by January 15th, the 20th has been the absolute latest. I’m waiting on the IRS so I can verify all the changes.

February 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(4) Saber Hammonds says:

I am so ticked with the government this year. I can’t find a hard copy of tax instructions anywhere. I really do not want to efile. I am much more comfortable using paper. I am just seeing red.

April 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm
(5) P-ed off! says:

The government is filled with idiots. 50+ yr olds with less life experience than I had when I was 23. This world is headed down the toilet before our very eyes!

October 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(6) Larry says:

Your link to IRS form 1099-MISC produces this warning:

This form is provided for informational purposes only. Copy A appears in red, similar to the official IRS form. Do not file copy A downloaded from this website. The official printed version of this IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from this website, is not. A penalty may be imposed for filing forms that can’t be scanned. See part O in the current General Instructions for Certain Information Returns for more information about penalties. To order official IRS forms, call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or Order Information Returns and Employer Returns Online, and we’ll mail you the scannable forms and other products.
See IRS Publications 1141, 1167, 1179 and other IRS resources for information about printing these tax forms.

March 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm
(7) sanster says:

Our government and country is going down-hill fast and broke…no tax forms….only on web. Our government wants more and more tax to supplement more red-tapes and inefficient government bodies (salaries & benefits & perks) yet they can ‘t provide forms and instructions so we can their salaries.

our government doesn’t care about our seniors and general citizens who cannot or doesn’t want to efile. look into the future and plan for better american dream.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.