1. Money

William Perez

IRS Announces Start Dates For Processing Some Tax Returns

By February 9, 2013

The Internal Revenue Service has delayed the processing of several tax forms which needed to be revised due to the American Taxpayer Relief Act. Previously, the IRS had announced that some forms would be delayed, possibly as late as the middle of March. The IRS needed additional time to reprogram their computer systems to reflect changes made by legislation that passed Congress on January 1, 2013. The IRS has announced dates that the agency will be able to process tax returns containing the following forms:

February 10, 2013: Form 4562, relating to depreciation and amortization

February 14, 2013: Form 8863, relating to education tax credits

First week of March 2013: tax returns containing any of the following forms

• Form 3800 General Business Credit
  • Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
  • Form 5074 Allocation of Individual Income Tax to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
  • Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
  • Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
  • Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
  • Form 8912 Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
  • Form 8923 Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
  • Form 8932 Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
  • Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

From the IRS Web site: IRS To Accept Tax Returns with Education Credits, Depreciation Next Week (IR-2013-18)

Comments
February 16, 2013 at 9:13 am
(1) Bob says:

Thanks for providing this. I looked all morning for these dates from the IRS unsuccessfully.

February 28, 2013 at 9:33 am
(2) Mark Williams says:

when can I expect my refund check where I claimed EIC on my income tax:?

February 28, 2013 at 11:09 am
(3) LarryB says:

I think that our government owes the public a big appology for the holding up of processing returns which contin certain forms. The residential energy credit will only increase my refund by about $10. Not worth the wait. RIDICULOUS

February 28, 2013 at 11:14 am
(4) LarryB says:

The government has again amazed me by their inapptitude in handling the arcaic tax system. Holding up returns for residential tax credit, ridiculous! this would only increase my refund by about $10.

March 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm
(5) Ann says:

The IRS expects taxpayers to file their taxes in a timely manner it would only seem fair that the taxpayer should receive their refund in the same timely manner. It is totoally unacceptable that we the taxpayers have to wait so long for our refunds because of the governments inadequacies. Residential engergy credit are you kidding me or is it a ploy to get people to file without taking the credit so they get the money they need and deserve faster. Very Sad.

March 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(6) JENNIFER C says:

I THINK WE ARE NEVER TO TRUST OUR IRS DEPARTMENT AGAIN…THIS HOLD UP OF OUR RETURN MONEY IS NOT ABOUT RECALCULATING THE COMPUTERS OR REPROGRAMMING THEM–THIS IS ALL ABOUT THE GOVT NOT HAVING OUR MONEY THAT WE PAY INTO ALL YEAR LONG AS WORKING CITIZENS. NOW THE IRS IS SCRAPING AND WAITING FOR MONEY TO COME INTO THE TREASURY(WHERE THERE SHOULD ALREADY BE MONEY) IN ORDER TO GIVE BACK TO US WORKING CITIZENS. THAT IS THE ONLY HOLD UP !!! PUTTING NEW SOFTWARE INTO A MAINFRAME COMPUTER DOES NOT TAKE THIS LONG !!!
NOTE TO IRS: US WORKING CITIZENS WHO PAY OUR TAXES ALL YEAR LONG ARE NOT AS DUMB AS YOU THINK WE ARE !!!
ONLY IN THE U.S. DOES THIS TYPE OF NONSENSE HAPPEN !!!

March 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(7) JENNIFER C says:

i feel we are never to trust the irs department ever again. the hold up of everyone’s return is not about reprogramming or recalculating the computers. this hold up is because there is no money in the treasury (where our money should be already). the irs is processing week by week in hopes of gaining some money back into the treasury. so, in order to pay us working citizens back for what we pay into all year long–our irs is robbing peter to pay paul !!! this is very very sad. only in america does this type of thing happen !!!
note to irs: we are not as dumb as you think we are !!!

March 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(8) jennifer says:

i think we are never to trust our irs department ever again !!! this hold up of processing our returns is nothing more than the fact that the irs/govt has no money in the treasury to give back to us taxpayers.
the job of reprogramming a mainframe computer to download different software does not take this long !!
this hold up and processing returns week by week is the irs hoping to gain money back into the treasury (which should already be there) in order to give back to us taxpayers !!!
note to irs :: we taxpayers are not as dumb as you think we are !!!

March 2, 2013 at 7:53 am
(9) florence says:

Our Goverment is so screw up over the last 12 years and the IRS is the biggest screw up. If we make a mistake we are fined and have to pay interest, if they do not process our refunds they should pay us interest and penalties the same as the would impose on us. IRS and the goverment need to stop spending our tax dollars to other countries, illegal residents and their personal expenses.

March 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(10) jennifer says:

and the other big problem::
why does uncle sam tell us we can claim things such as the residential energy savings, etc..only to punish us for doing so by taking a percentage of what we claim and then holding our returns for ransom until the irs and treasury come up with that extra percentage of money to give back to us ???
this is a big problem in the u.s. we need to ask 1st : if we do a,b,c..will it work?? and if we do a,b,c…will everyone and everything be ready including a stupid computer system??
the u.s. is stretching for ways to apease the u.s. citizens due to all the false promises that have been made to us and due to the fact that the u.s is more worried about sending our money overseas in order to “keep the peace”, cuz if we do not send this money now…the us. will be attacked upon and we will be done…welll we are done anyway because the treasury is dry. thank you uncle sam for putting us all in this aggrivated stage!!!!! italy is looking very good…

March 5, 2013 at 9:58 am
(11) Melinda says:

Wow – always amazed at the entitlement attitude that people have when it comes to government. If you don’t want them holding your money don’t give it to them! Adjust your withholdings with your employer so that you aren’t “paying in” all year long just to file a return and get it back later. Invest it yourself and you come out with more money and don’t have to wait for the IRS to process your return.

March 6, 2013 at 10:38 am
(12) Jason A says:

@ Melinda: Sense of entitlement to their own money? For shame! How dare they! Hahaha, you must work for the IRS or gov.

March 6, 2013 at 11:48 am
(13) Brandi says:

I usually file on Turbo Tax; but, I bought a home in September so I had a CPA file for me just to make sure I got everything filed correctly related to the home purchase, etc.
The CPA told me my federal refund was accepted on 2/16. Every week since 2/18 I go to the irs website and click on the “where’s my refund” status. Either the website isn’t being properly managed or updating correctly; because, mine still only shows refund received. Should it at least be at the refund processed stage? It also says expect refund within 21 days from date irs received your filing. So are they including weekends in that 21 day period or just weekdays?

March 8, 2013 at 10:16 am
(14) Cadillac SLS Guy says:

When is the deadline for the whole thing?

March 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm
(15) ms. welch says:

I am soo angry about the IRS mishandling our refunds. They cant even send an apology email or status to keep us in the loop of info. WTF?? Melinda, you do have a point and believe me, hubby and I made up our minds a few weeks ago that this will never happen again. Like they say…overpaying on our income taxes all year long just to get the overpayment at the end of the year is like giving the govt an interest free loan!! We are crazy to do this! This year I am adjusting my allowances so that I dont overpay them and their interest free loan from me is over! I will stash that money in a savings acct and earn some kind of interest myself! We filed Feb it is now end of may and still no refund. In the meantime my debt that I anticipated would be paid by my refund is piling up!!! :(

March 28, 2013 at 11:56 pm
(16) jmb says:

Really its not only in the US that has delayed returns. Guam never gets their refunds in a timely manner. It can take almost 2 yrs for ours. We pay n work just as hard as anyone but why the treasury dont have the money to pay us back is beyond me. Now we have this law passed where we shud get our taxes within 6months of filing. But headlines news states that the legislature is trying to turn that around because its unrealistic with funding. What?!? Really?!?! Some people who filed by the 12 Feb have received their returns…. Awesome! We filed mid march i hope we r as lucky as those and get ours at least before the next school yr starts.