Line 15: IRA Distributions
- Gather all your 1099-R statements from each bank, mutual fund, or retirement plan for the year.
- 1099-R statements report distributions from various retirement plans.
- Separate 1099-R statements into two piles: those received from your IRA, and those received from your pension or annuity plans.
- Report your IRA distributions on line 15. Report your pension and annuity distributions on line 16.
- If you rolled over your IRA, enter the amount you rolled over in line 11a and write the word "Rollover" next to line 11b.
- Using a calculator, add up all the distribution amounts from box 1 every 1099-R.
- Put the total figure on Line 11b.
- If you withdrew money from your IRA and you were born before July 1, 1933,
- and you did not rollover that money,
- then you may owe additional tax on the early distribution.
- You must read Publication 590 (PDF) to figure the additional tax.
Look at boxes 4 and 10 of your 1099-R.
- Do you have any amounts in these boxes?
- If yes, remember to include these amounts for your tax withheld.
- The amount in box 4 is added to your other withholding on Line 39.
- The amount in box 10 is added to your state tax withholding on your state tax form.