1. Money
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

Children of Divorced or Separated Parents


Generally, the parents should decide in advance who gets to claim the child as a dependent. This arrangement should be specified in writing in the divorce decree or separation agreement papers. If one parent claims the child as a dependent, the other parent may be able to claim the Head of Household filing status if the child lives with that parent for more than half the year.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.